Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
jismail

Friends: (0)
Default Albatross D.III - Oooooooooo I'm in Luv!

Just finished my Maxford Albatross and maidened it this weekend.

http://www.maxfordusa.com/albatrosd-iiiep40arf.aspx

Wow, what a bird. The detail is very nice. It was tough to assemble without breaking little detail pieces off the motor... many of the balsa rockers broke off, but I was able to re-attach them all.

It was more involved as an assembly then I expected, but went together well. The kit is very nicely done and was packaged exceptionaly well so not breakage from shipping occured.

I went with a wood 10x6 prop, 2200mah lipo, and a 480 outrunner 1050KV I had lying around and it fit without any hassles. The hardest part for assembly was trying to fish the servo wires through the wing. Still not to bad.

On my maiden, I almost bought the farm on take off. Even with the COG set correctly, the bird went straight into a full loop on takeoff! I had abotu 10 seconds of sheer terror as it took my that long to get control of the looping and pitching monster. How I kept it out of the dirt is a wonder to me... but once I got the elevater trimed with tons of down pitch, it leveled out and flew nicely.

It handled well, looped and rolled with not effort, but did tend to crab abit on banks, almost like I had rudder mixing on even though I don't.

After my maiden, I took the bird back to the roost and promptly added a shim to the motor to try to offset some of the down elevator trim I need to get it to fly level.

Cant wait until next weekend!

Here she is:

Old 02-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
7car7

View 7car7's Gallery37
Friends: (12)

It is a cool plane, and will fly nicely, as I've seen one in person.

Just curious, how did you decide that the problem was more down thrust needed, as oposed to being tail heavy?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
dogsheep
Banned

Friends: (1)

I bought a Maxford model at the recent NW fair and had a bit of fun: the Chinese fellow manning the booth sold me a model and then asked if I needed a motor, saying, "I have a nice one from Uranus."

Well, I thought he was joking, and said something like, "I think not."

Anyway, when I went to the web site, later, there it was, a motor from "Uranus!"

I know love is grand and all that, but did you clean the little guy's flight suit out?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:52 AM   #4
jismail

Originally Posted by 7car7 View Post
It is a cool plane, and will fly nicely, as I've seen one in person.

Just curious, how did you decide that the problem was more down thrust needed, as oposed to being tail heavy?

Primarily because I checked CoG and it is spot on, and when I cut power, it levels out.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
dai phan

Hi,

Do you have any problems with the motor mount as reported? I still have not put mine together until this problem is sorted out. I can fly the PZ Trojan T-28 without problems so is this plane within my ability to handle? DP
Old 02-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
dogsheep
Banned

Buy a motor from Uranus!
Old 02-25-2009, 01:09 AM   #7
jismail

Originally Posted by dai phan View Post
Hi,

Do you have any problems with the motor mount as reported? I still have not put mine together until this problem is sorted out. I can fly the PZ Trojan T-28 without problems so is this plane within my ability to handle? DP

I did not have any motor mount issues, but I did make sure to put a good bead of glue all around the end of the firewall prior to closing things up.... just in case.

My eflite 480 outrunner with a 10x6 wood prop had no issues at all.

As for skill level required.... I think you will be fine but just remember to be a little lighter in the contols as it is quick to respond if the throws are set to full range.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
oldnewpilot

Default Albatros

Super looking aircraft. Just assembling mine now. Having problems with recommended servos installation in the wings. Seem the servos are too thick and cause upper wing covering to bulge up when servo in place. Anyone run into this situation?
Old 04-19-2009, 11:21 PM   #9
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

View WWI Ace's Gallery4
Friends: (10)

I LOVE the plane but I hate the looks of the shock absorbing landing gear!!! Steve

Flying is just a question of money. How high would you like to go?
Old 12-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
Gofer303

Club: Twin Cities Eagle Squadron CB Iowa
Send a message via Skype™ to Gofer303
Friends: (4)

I just got one in the mail today as it was a trade deal (whats behind door # 3) I did not know what was coming. After looking at this plane I really want to put it together right Just ordered my electronics from subsonicplanes.com Ken always has a lot of info for me and a good deal. All info and advice welcome thanks in advance.
Larry

Honor Student majoring in Crashology! Flying Thunder Air Field says" May the Thrust be with YOU"
Old 12-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
Gofer303

Isn't anyone on this anymore? The set up I am gettting is a Motrolfly 2215-1150 with reverse shaft, APC 9x6 E prop, and 2 11.1 1300mah 25c batteries. is this a good match for the plane ?

Honor Student majoring in Crashology! Flying Thunder Air Field says" May the Thrust be with YOU"
Old 12-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
brutus251
"nin caca da manga"

Club: Rhode Island Soaring Club
Friends: (5)

Ive had mine ready to go for over a year, 18 months I believe! I swear someone does not want me to maiden it,every time Ive decided to try, the weather or some other problem pops up.Its been to the field twice ,once I forgot the lipos for it on the bench and the second time out of no where it started to rain and kept raining all day.Every other time just did not work out for some reason. Id love to get this one flying.Ill check to see what Ive got for a power system and get back to you,mine did need a 2200 plus some lead to CG properly. Brutus

"Its the exact same thing, just completly different"
Old 12-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #13
racie34

today's a good day in RI Brutus
Old 12-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
brutus251
"nin caca da manga"

You bet,its 50 + degrees out and it looks like perfect flying weather as I look out the stores front window while Im working.......... Brutus

Old 12-23-2011, 03:24 AM   #15
Gofer303

Brutus
Thanks for the info I still have mine in the box got the batteries,esc,motor,props all together now and I need to get started. All I have read about this plane and the videos suggest that I will have a seasoned instructor at the field check it over and fly it first. The videos show it almost going into a ground loop on take off and the posts about the spinner being delicate is kinda iffy. But what the heck it is for flying and as long as I do not try to get too far ahead of myself it should be fine to fly. BTW winds up to 25 mph and high temp of 31 was today's wx. Larry

Old 12-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #16
dcwwcp

Friends: (2)

I'm making an albatros D.V and I'm looking for some information on the dummy motor that comes with the Maxford albatros D.III.

Is there any way you could measure the length of the engine from the front of the first cylinder to the back of the last cylinder?
Basically measuring the row of cylinders.

I'm curious to know the actual scale of the motor, and that would be a tremendous help.

thank you very much

~don
Old 12-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #17
brutus251
"nin caca da manga"

Don,Ill be happy to do it when I get back home from visiting the relatives in a day or two if noone gets to it first. Happy New Year.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:02 AM   #18
Gofer303

Originally Posted by dcwwcp View Post
I'm making an albatros D.V and I'm looking for some information on the dummy motor that comes with the Maxford albatros D.III.

Is there any way you could measure the length of the engine from the front of the first cylinder to the back of the last cylinder?
Basically measuring the row of cylinders.

I'm curious to know the actual scale of the motor, and that would be a tremendous help.

thank you very much

~don
The motor is appx 6 inches long by 1/2 in wide I would open the package up but seeing as I have decided to sell or trade this kit I wont. I have attached a picture hope it helps you.
Larry

Old 12-27-2011, 04:34 AM   #19
dcwwcp

is that the row of cylinders, or the whole thing?

I don't have anything I can reference the whole thing to. my drawing just gives a measurement for the row of cylinders.

thanks
~don
Old 12-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #20
Gofer303

is that the row of cylinders, or the whole thing?

I don't have anything I can reference the whole thing to. my drawing just gives a measurement for the row of cylinders.

thanks
~don
At the end of the motor is a round almost 1/2 inch protrusion on each end that would fit in the frame. did you try the website to see if they have a better description or spare parts listing that has a blow up ? The round part that the whole motor is built on is below the top of the plane.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #21
dcwwcp

unfortunately, that won't do me much good. I'm waiting for a reply from maxford, to the same question.

the only real measurement that I could use to calculate the scale of the dummy motor is the row of cylinder, outside to outside.

I do appreciate you taking the time to try and help.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #22
Gofer303

unfortunately, that won't do me much good. I'm waiting for a reply from maxford, to the same question.

the only real measurement that I could use to calculate the scale of the dummy motor is the row of cylinder, outside to outside.

I do appreciate you taking the time to try and help.
Don
A rough measurement is close to 4 1/2 inches long from front outside of cylinder to rear outside of cylinder. I found a small enough ruler to get close with.
hope this helps some!
Larry

Old 12-30-2011, 12:36 AM   #23
dcwwcp

awsome!

so that's 1/9.43 scale to be exact. my simprop albatros body is 1/10 scale almost exactly.

so the difference is about 8mm or approx. 5/16"

man that's pretty close!

the maxford dummy motor is fairly expensive at $30.00 plus shipping, but it would save me a ton of time as opposed to building my own.
It is the best looking pre-made mercedes D.III dummy motor you can buy right now. not to mention the only one I think!

thank you very much for taking the time to measure again. that was exactly what I needed!

thanks
~don
Old 12-30-2011, 01:11 AM   #24
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Incredible plane! I've always loved the Albatross in all its models. Whew! That is an ultimate RC plane for sure.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:35 AM   #25
Gofer303

Don my pleasure Maxford USA als0o has a new spinner for around 25.00 there is where they make the money !
R R the kit I have is for sale on RC Universe would like to trade for a good DLE 20 or equivalent check it out or make a cash offer.
Larry

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era