Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Pusher Park Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Pusher Park Jets For all pusher jets and jet-like models.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #51
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default last entry.....

Pretty keen to see some of your planes Bob; I'll have to run through your threads when I'm on nightshift, which is the only chance I seem to get to do things like that. And so ends the story of the Arado for now. It flies, it looks ok for a semi scale plane, sounds great, and has lots of potential. The camera, bomb release, paint work etc will all happen over summer, but I have to move on to my next projects. As a sneak preview, there is my first canard, A Henschel p75 (1/2 finished), an FW198, a somewhat mythical beast, and my own personal combat plane to tackle my sons air superiority fighters. And it is another Arado, but that story will have to wait......happy flying, cheers...
Old 11-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #52
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

Michael you were not kidding when you said that you were heavily into advanced German WW2 aircraft were you! I can fully understand it when you look at their advanced flying characteristics. I saw a docu on TV the other day covering the Lockheed skunk works recent building and radar testing of a full sized Horten wing. The finished plane and the resulting test results were amazing! Now I have eventually blown the moths out of my wallet and replaced my 21 year old radio gear I have something called aileron / elevator mixing. Someone mentioned it might be useful if I wanted to build a flying wing. LOL You never know>
Old 11-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #53
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

View Voyager2lcats's Gallery58
Club: Not Now- Maybe Never
Friends: (33)

Michael, the Henschel .p75 sounds fascinating. I have to admit that one of my "oddball" favorites is the Curtiss XP-55. It was a canard prototype developed in 1940, but never really made it. It had loads of potential, but Curtiss (never a big innovator) failed to get it the high powered engine it deserved. They did make three mods of it, so they saw something. I guess the Air Force saw more potential in jets(!!). No surprise there. Still, canards are supposed to be pleasant flyers, once the proper modifications are made. I told Barry this would be my largest plane if/when I build it (53" wingspan). Cheers! Bob

P.S. Michael, check out my photo gallery. It has most of my planes. I still have to write up the threads on my PT-19 and my firewall mod to my E-Flite P-47.

Originally Posted by pattern14 View Post
Pretty keen to see some of your planes Bob; I'll have to run through your threads when I'm on nightshift, which is the only chance I seem to get to do things like that. And so ends the story of the Arado for now. It flies, it looks ok for a semi scale plane, sounds great, and has lots of potential. The camera, bomb release, paint work etc will all happen over summer, but I have to move on to my next projects. As a sneak preview, there is my first canard, A Henschel p75 (1/2 finished), an FW198, a somewhat mythical beast, and my own personal combat plane to tackle my sons air superiority fighters. And it is another Arado, but that story will have to wait......happy flying, cheers...

"Dum spiro spero." (While I breathe, I hope).
Old 12-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #54
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default footnote...

Having all kinds of problems getting back to the forum (priorities mainly) but i will check out out you gallery Bob. The Horten is something I tried once, but will try again one day. Put the wings together for the Henschel, cut out the fuse for the next Arado, and ordered the swept wings for the Daimler benz: should keep me out of trouble for a while.....cheers, and happy flying
Old 12-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #55
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Hey Michael, I have more time to post today so I thought you deserved a reply. I look forward to seeing your Henschel .p75- both the build and the flight characteristics. I am hoping it will be a nice stable design and something I can shoot for when I eventually build the XP-55 Ascender.

Bob

Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #56
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default Best laid plans.....

Never got around to answering you Bob ( sorry), got sidetracked with everything, and finally got back to this thread after a few months. Never got any further with the edf version of this plane either; the GWS nacelles arrived after being back-ordered forever, but hit the ground before the fuse does- not good for a belly lander. The GWS foam is way too fragile for anything else than the most gracefull landings on soft grass, and thats after it has been glassed as well. Still, I can use them for other projects..... So it was back to the pusher configuration, with different motors, internal mounted esc's's and all metal geared servo's for everything. Using 60 amp esc's, so they should run cool enough inside the nose compartment. They need a seperate battery supply, but they will take the place of the lead I used to balance it. Shortened the tail by about 10 cms to get it more into scale perspective, and fabricated a one piece elevator instead of persevering with the wretched twin pushrod design which never really worked. The elevator is balsa as well- much stiffer than coreflute, and lighter. Mounted the servo's in the horizontal stab, with one pushrod apiece, and cut a "< " in the fin for the elevator to run through. All round a much more simple and practical approach. The most innovative part was the rebith of my previously dead MZK reciever. After a hard life as a combat black box, this amazing little Rx was spat out during a hard hit with the Komet, and strewn over the paddock along with the rest of the electonics. Couldn't find it in the long grass; then it rained, and then it was chewed by livestock Obviously not too tasty, the outer casing was really mangled, and the pins and aerial plus the crystal were all had it. Found it weeks later after the cattle had been moved after mowing things down. Found the battery as well, which still worked Resoldered the aerial, straightened the pins ( they were ALL bent and twisted ) replaced the crystal and checked everything with a magnifying glass. Even made a new coreflute casing for it, with shock foam around it as well. I could not believe it worked again. The MZK rx's are the best I have used so far, and have totally no glitches- better than the 2.4's as well. I buried this deep in the fuse, under the wing saddle, and taped it firmly in. Hopefully all will be well, and it will last for years to come. Anyway, next step is to re-attach the engine pods, and mount the motors. Should it have it flying again in a week or so...... cheers
Old 02-16-2010, 01:26 AM   #57
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Michael, that may be the most amazing story I have heard yet about salvaging a radio component. Holy mackerel, you are GOOD.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #58
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default have you heard the one about the.....

Hey Bob; I suspect the fact that it got going again is testimony more to MZK than my skill. I would never had correllated Eastern European, former Soviet Bloc countries with quality electronics, but these components are something else again. My JR autoscan was much more expensive, and doesn't even come close. Same for the hitec electron six, Jeti, and futaba rx's that I use- the MZK leaves them for dead. Did you read my post last year when I crash landed my He 162 upside down in the dam? The edf unit was submerged for about 2 hours, along with the servo's, rx etc. Only the esc died, but there was no servo jitter or anything. The power was still connected the whole time. The plane flew again that afternoon, after drying it out by the fire, and putting in a new esc. One tough little rx. On the Ar 234 though, I put the motors on the pods last night, and will mount the wing on this afternoon- only leaves tidying up to do and some cog attention- more later
Old 02-17-2010, 02:10 AM   #59
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

MZK? I have never heard of them. Which country are they situated in? I might have to mail order some if they are that sturdy. Speaking of Warsaw Pact, did you know the US Army has purchased large stocks of Bulgarian and Rumanian AK-47 assault rifles and retrofitted them with heavy duty plastic stocks and grips? Not only that but they have contracted an American company to assemble them and manufacture ammunition in the United States! I tried to find it again on the web, but I know it is a company in Kansas. Okay, enough off-topic.

Bob

P.S. Found it: Alliant Techsystems (ATK) http://industry.bnet.com/government/...pons-from-atk/

Old 02-18-2010, 12:59 AM   #60
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default a bit more

Hi Bob, MZK is made in the Czech republic. Tried to order them myself, but came up against some formidible language and currency barriers.. There is an importer here, but he is a little elusive as well. if you type in "MZK servis" you can find their website; Good luck! Since all sef loaders and para military stuff was banned in Australia many years ago, I really haven't kept up to date with such things. Does seem odd that the U.S would bother with them, but maybe they are being upgraded for a specific purpose. I have seen Australian military training the middle eastern forces stationed here (on the mainland) and they all had Kalashnikov's as well, so maybe it is for peacekeeping duties. Any way, I put the nacelles on the wing, mounted it on the fuse, and then hooked everything up. Power system works perfectly, and the motors seemed vey well timed together. Not much more to do now, so it won't be long.......
Old 02-18-2010, 01:25 AM   #61
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Hey Michael, you really have me intrigued by MZK. I apologize for the AK-47 ramble, but since you mentioned the Czech connection my fevered brain ran with it! The AK connection is basically a retrofit of Bulgarian et al produced arms for transfer to Iraq and Afghanistan government forces (they don't want our M-16s).
How is the plane's center of gravity? I hope you will post some photos (pre and post flight are good; flying even better).

Old 02-18-2010, 08:42 AM   #62
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default nearly done

Thats OK Bob, coincidentally, my father was a gunsmith years ago, and his gunshop was full of all kinds of strange things. Inherited from the previous owner, who was also Czech, were all manner of self loaders and ex-military wares. Totally illegal now, but when I was a kid, totally un beknown to my father ( who would have murdered me), I made an r/c tank using a sawn off .22 on a Tonka bulldozer base. As dangerous as can be imagined, the servo pulled a "J" shaped pushrod around the trigger. How I survived those years without losing an eye or worse, I'll never know. We even tried making anti aircraft rockets to try and shoot down circling gliders, all without success. Guess these days I'd be locked up for it Still, the Arado is just a couple of hours away from finished,and I just have to wait for an opening in the weather; she does not handle the wind like my tailless fighters......cheers
Old 02-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #63
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Michael, I look forward to more pictures of your Arado. I really like how tough your models are. I don't get your weather (occasional gusts), so my planes don't need to be as resilient as yours. I have been corresponding with Barry (baz49exe) and he is currently building a very nice ME-163 Komet from balsa and foam. Fly when you can,

Bob

Old 02-22-2010, 01:27 AM   #64
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default up, up, and away

The wind didn't drop, so I decided to give it a go anyway; It will just have to learn to live with it. Even on minimal throttle, it climbed away evenly, and was soon 100 metres up No sign of tip stall on tight turns, but there was some glitching, which i half expected anyway, from the salvaged rx. She glided extremely well, and I expect the stability was in part due to her weight. This is the biggest, heaviest plane i have built, but she is deceptively light on her feet. The landing took two complete circles before I lost enough height for a very gracefull touchdown. She needs lots of room. Next is the rx replacement, which was on the cards anyway, as the repaired MZK was always going to be a gamble. Hopefully some photo's in the next few days....... cheers
Old 03-23-2010, 04:05 AM   #65
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default what goes up...

Disaster. While trying my first photo recon dummy run, She disappeared into the clouds. The massive updraughts from the mountain range behind me must have lifted her beyond tx range, or was simply too much lift to overcome. I have strayed into this airspace before to have my plane go spiralling upwards, but not to this extent. Tried full down elevator, but in the clouds she could have been doing outside loops for all I know. As I said before, this plane flies on minimal power, and takes a very long time to lose altitude, which probably lead to it's undoing. The loss of the plane was bad enough, but there must have been $400.00 worth of electrics on board. All I can hope is someone in New Zealand finds it.........I managed to copy the fuse and wings as blanks for the edf version though, but it is cold comfort. This was about two weeks ago, and I am still getting over it, but in a way it is a fitting epitaph..... missing in action....
Old 03-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #66
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Oh Michael, that is terrible! Amazing that you had such a great model- the fly-away in the updraft proves that. The loss of the electronics is obviously a major hit. I have had one of my planes caught in an updraft, but managed to put into a "death spiral"! It didn't die, but it certainly required rebuilding to a small extent. Mountain updrafts- they are not your friend in this case. My condolensces.

Bob

Old 03-24-2010, 02:56 AM   #67
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default when your horse throws you....

Hey Bob, thanks for that. Just to rub it in, my APC pusher profile 7x5 props arrived at the P.O this morning. Was going to set it up with counter rotating props to finish the project, but it is now a little academic.. But, as they say, if you get back in the saddle straight away.......Flew my only remaing Arado, "Projekt 1" again this morning, totally inverted for most of the flight ( hand launch and landing the right way up). She spent all weekend in a tree a couple of weeks ago, until a gale blew her down. The lipo was totally dead, but otherwise fine. Had a combat session with my 11.y.o son Isaac yesterday as well ( I lost AGAIN). The Junkers pictured below( next to Projekt 1) is quite the adversary. Twice as heavy as Projekt 1, it seemingly can hover with impunity and bucks the wind like no other, but the little Arado can turn inside and outclimb it ( not that it did me any good yesterday). Any way, the Ar234 replacement wings and fuse have been cut and modified for another Arado ( an edf ) that will take the place of the Daimler- benz " Amerika Bomber" that I decided to shelve in the interests of good taste. Saw a drawing of a straight winged twin tail piggy back jet that will get the benefits of my experience with the Ar234, and hopefully not end up in Antarctica like it's stable mate. Should have it up by tomorrow; will post a pic on this thread just for posterity, but it will have to go into the edf forum........

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 2 033.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	123858   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 2 049.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	123859  
Old 03-25-2010, 12:50 AM   #68
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Hey Michael, I am glad to see that you have other nice horses to ride! Not that I doubted it. I have one thing to say about the "Amerika" bomber: build one of the big multi-engine versions (Messerschmidt ME 264, ME 364, Focke-Wulf TA 400, etc.)! I don't think it's politically incorrect; not like you are actually proposing to bomb New York. Same thing with peace signs or swastikas- you aren't espousing an agenda, just reflecting what someone or something displayed. That's just my opinion.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #69
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default back on track

Another long break, and things are coming together. With the success of the Daimler Benz, the 2nd AR 234 can now proceed beyond the theoretical. Numerous attempts to make scale looking edf units that were powerfull enough and unbreakable have eluded me, ( I won't go into all the failed experiments) so a pusher she will remain. Managed to copy the nacelles from the S&B Me 262, and will have the motors inside the rear section, instead of external. Should give a much more realistic look while not compromising performance or practicality.The motors are also new, purchased from Himodel, and I'll finally get to use the counter rotating prop setup. The wings have been recut and shaped, with much more effective ailerons. Running out of epp as well as money, but have managed to get enough together to make a very scale fuse, although the glazed nose is just not a practical option at this stage. If I knew how to mold polycarbonate I would, but the crash resistant factor is too real for me to go with plastic. I also came across a vinyl spray paint that is very flexible, so lets see if that will be of use on the taped finish. Post some pics of the progress in the next few days , cheers....
Old 07-16-2010, 02:07 AM   #70
pattern14
Super Contributor

Smile nacelles

Turned into a drawn out saga, but finally got the nacelles finished and ready for covering. They are about 95% scale, including the intakes, and have been a little challenging. I decided to put the esc's inside the nacelles, with the air intakes providing cooling. The outside was shaped first, then the inside was hollowed out to accept the running gear. Tried to asphyxiate myself with the fumes from the soldering iron that I used to hollow them out. Even with both doors of the workshop open you still can't escape. It's a matter of hold your breath, burn, run outside for another breath, and back in again. An exhaust fan looks vey appealing for next time. The 1500 kv outrunners sit on the inside this time, with exit slots cut for the air flow. Using plywood for the firewalls, as no polycarbonate sheeting was left. The tops of the nacelles are angled to compensate for the wing dihedral, and the rear portion will have a coreflute cover to double up as a hatch, and a mounting plate. Got the whole electrics sorted out last night, with all systems working. Using 25amp pentium esc's this time, and have beeen having fun programming them for synchronisation. With no programming card, I have to use the transmitter, and there was much unplugging and beeping. This power plant is about 50% more powerfull than the last one, and much more thought out. Should get them taped and in place by tomorrow, ready for some static testing. More soon hopefully, cheers....
Old 07-17-2010, 01:42 AM   #71
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Wow. Post some pictures when you get the chance Michael. I would really like to see this project. Trees beware, another limb slicer will soon be airborne!

Old 07-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #72
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default and some more......

No worries Bob, as soon as the rain stops long enough to use my wife's expensive camera. Winter is now half over, and all around is very cold and wet. Still flying every day though. Managed to cut out a bigger battery hatch ( to take two 2200mah 3s lipo's, or one battery and one camera) and slim down the rear fuse today, as the big vertical stab adds a lot of weight. This is my only non-combat plane, as was its predecessor(), so hopefully It won't be punching through trees and such, but should be just as tough. The real AR 234 A did the worlds first jet recon mission on August 2nd, 66 years ago, and I hope to commemorate the occasion with a video of where I live on the same day. I learned a lot from the first Arado, so this one should be a better version. No more flying into the clouds though. Keep you posted, cheers.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #73
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Thumbs up Key chain video recorder.

Michael, I would look into one of these. Barry has one and sent me some amazingly good video of his planes- both wing mounted and hat mounted! I am looking to purchase one today and use it to film all of my future flights! I have some great news- I successfully maidened my PT-19 in windy conditions today and I have a winner.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #74
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default in the wind

Great to to hear Bob......, if only I knew what a PT 19 looked like I would be even more impressed.. Got any pics of it? My ignorance of planes non-luftwaffe is embarassing. On the flip side, every time I fly in calm conditions, I crash.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 AM   #75
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Default PT-19 pictures.

Here you go Michael. I am painting the wings a bright yellow at the moment.

Bob

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07234.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	132340   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07235.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	132341   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07236.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	132342   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07237.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	132343  

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Pusher Park Jets