Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)
Default Electrifying models of the 70 Glow Size

I'm the editor of the newsletter of a Milwaukee Area Radio Control club. Over the past year or so, I've put together a series of articles on medium powered electric models. These articles have been compiled to the attached 14 page PDF document.

The article covers the following items:

Four Stroke 70 Sized Electric Powered Models
Chapter I ---------Definition
Chapter II --------Field Charging Issues
Chapter III -------Selection of Hanger 9 Showtime 50 Model
Chapter IV -------Get Computer Software Help
Chapter V --------Evolution from Geared Astro 40 to Hacker A50 Motors
Chapter VI -------Results
Chapter VII ------BEC (Battery Elimination Circuits) Issues
Chapter VIII -----Power output vs Four Stroke 70 Glow Engines
Chapter IX -------Electric Power Prop Unloading
Chapter X --------A123 Cells
Chapter XI -------Showtime 90 Design
Chapter XII ------Electric Cost Issues
Chapter XIII -----Battery Life Span
Chapter XIV -----How to Kill a Lipo/A123 Pack
Chapter XV ------Editors On Board Monitor
Chapter XVI -----Charging Lipo/A123 Packs

This article may be of some benefit for those club members seeking to advance to medium sized electric models.

Dennis V

Old 03-29-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Club: Fraser Valley RC Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (4)

Excellent article, Dennis. I haven't tried A123 cells yet, but they are a possibilty for my giant scale project, though it will initially fly with 6S2P 5000 Zippy H lipo's (actually, 4 3 cell packs, which can be used as 3S in other models, for economy). You've written a good, common sense approach to the subject.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

bradt
Thanks!
How much current are you planning on pulling? I've found that about 25-30 Amps per A123 cell is a good average amount of current to pull out of them. Go much higher, and your flight time gets rather short.

What ever you do, don't ever short an A123 pack out. The pack will ALWAYS win. (Don't ask how I know!)

One of these days, I'm going to add to my fleet of 12 ready to fly electrics, and try a Biplane! To give you an idea on how these perform, I've got a lead sled CAP232-46 model that weighs in at 7 pounds, with 30 ounces per square foot. Power is a Hacker A40-10L with a 16X12 APC-E prop, and 5S2P A123's. It gets off the ground in about 30 feet, and climbs up at about 50 degrees out of sight.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

I couldnt agree with you more Dennis.

These are a couple of my recent large A123 powered foamy projects. They are not glow conversions, but they illustrate the point just as well I think

The Mega Capricorn weighs about 6.5 pounds (havent actually weighed it yet but thats close) and runs off a 6S1P A123 pack. Peak power is in the 8-900 watt range but flight times are a solid 6 to 7 minutes the way I fly. I spend most of the flight loafing along at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.

The XXL Polaris runs off 6S2P A123 packs. It only weighs 7.5 pounds but the average power draw is a good bit higher. Peak power is 1250 watts and flight times are 8-9 minutes max. I tend to spend a lot more time at 3/4 to full throttle with this one. It looks better going fast

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 03-29-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Club: Fraser Valley RC Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 

Larry, Ive followed your threads on both those models, and saw that they both perform very well, indeed!

Dennis, I hope to draw no more than 40A on my big Bird Dog, for a little over 1000W, but that will only give me a very scale power loading of about 50W/lb, as the r.t.f. weight will be about 20 lbs. I can't do much to lighten the model, as it's already built, and formerly ran on a large twin gasser. The 6S2P 5000 pack will be mounted right up inside the firewall, and may not add enough nose weight for this 108" span monster, but I've got to see if it can be done. She does have fully functional flaps, and I think I may be relying on them for both take-off and landing. My experience with large models of scale slow-fliers is that they don't need huge power to weight to perform like the real thing. The D VII in my avatar weighs a hair over 10 lbs, wing loading is 13oz/sq.ft., and power loading is only 60W/lb., and she'll do everything the real one could, which is all I want from a scale model. WW I fighters should NOT prophang!
Brad.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

bradt
Dennis, I hope to draw no more than 40A on my big Bird Dog, for a little over 1000W, but that will only give me a very scale power loading of about 50W/lb, as the r.t.f. weight will be about 20 lbs. I can't do much to lighten the

Hi Brad
You can run that 6S2P A123 pack at 55-60 amps all day with no problem. To give you an idea on power, that pack will turn a 16X12 APC-E prop at about 5900 RPM using a Hacker A50-16S motor. This setup hauls my 8 pound Hanger 9 Showtime 50 up at about 50-60 degrees until you can no longer see the model. The take off run is about 30 feet or so on short grass. It pulls about 48 Amps out of the battery. Flight time is limited to about 7 minutes, which takes about 60% out of the battery after a very acrobatic flight. I've found that the current drops to about 15 Amps or so just keeping it in the air, so at that current level, the model could fly 15 minutes completely discharging the battery.

Note that these A123 batteries quit like a glow engine! When they reach total discharge, they just quit, like in 15-20 seconds! (That is hard on them, as well as the Lipo batteries. Did it once though, the battery came out just fine, but landed the model off the field.)
Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

larry3215
Good videos!
I used to go to my local field, complaining about my "Underpowered Electrics" then take off in 25 feet and climb out at 45 degrees, and make 80 MPH passes over the field. That with an 8 1/2 pound airplane. Guess our club members got wise, these Electrics ain't what they used to be! More than a few of them went electric.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
rudderfeet

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Association
Friends: (3)

Excellent article - quite comprehensive. Give those of us thinking about larger planes a lot to think about - whether to stay electric or go with a traditional engine.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
182 STOL Driver

Club: Grand Canyon Eagles
Friends: (0)
Default Just getting stared inn Electric motors

Flight:
My question deals of what kind and size Volts/mah, battery would be good for a speed 400 electric motor on a Mini Telemaster. I want to get my grand kids to fly out at the ranch. Don't need to Out of Sight (OOS in old free flight days) performance -just a simple school yard flyer. Thanks and try to send responses to my email stingers61b@cox.net

Thanks
Bill Reid
Boulder City ,NV
Old 04-26-2010, 06:31 AM   #10
bluzjamer

Club: South County R C Club, Rhode Island Soaring Club

Awesome job Larry! Thanks for sharing.

AMA # 944164

Some people hang pictures in their homes, I hang guitars in mine. I guess I can hang a few planes in the garage too!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)