Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
WOODZY
the names zy. wood zy lol

Friends: (1)
Post super cub talk only

hi guys (or girls ) After recently purchasing a super cub im starting to wonder wat others have done to their cub. So be it mods , crashes , good reports or bad or anything else . Lets hear what you have to say about this lovely little plane
Old 05-31-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)

First and foremost, disconnect the optical ACT sensors from the receiver. My first couple flights with my SC last fall were very difficult with a constant oscillating vertical behavior from the plane that you could not catch up with. Spent some time on line over the winter and found no one who used the ACT had anything good to say about it. Left the switch on the Tx off this spring as I started flying and was great, no problems until one flight when I did not notice the switch was bumped to on. Once again the up and downs once the plane got up into a little wind and shorlty after a nose into the ground. After some minor repairs and disconnect the sensors am back up and happy. With the sesors diconnected the ACT switch on the Tx is similar to a dual rate switch, allows more control throw with ACT turned off.
Having said that there are a ton of mods to the plane that are possible. Rather than reinvent the wheel do a search on this forum. Also check out
http://supercubclub.proboards.com/index.cgi?
and

The youtube link is to a series of videos by NeCubFlyer showing many different mods and are very well done. I plan to try a number of them over the winter.
Two mods I have done and found very worthwhile are the popsicle stick reinforcement of the wing saddle shown on the youtube videos and using packing tape of some type, there are a number that will work well to protect the wing tips and leading edges

Fun plane to fly, just look for some calm winds to start out in
Good luck with it.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Glass the fuse right before the tail feathers, and the wing saddle. Oh, one more thing, LIPO !!!!!!!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

-Rob
Old 05-31-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
wmcneal

Friends: (0)
Default Hobbyzone super cub

I built my cub from the replacement parts and added a Turnigy 3536c brushless motor spinning an APC 9x4.7 SF prop. It flies on a 3cell 2250mah li-po. I also gave it a custom paint job, landing gear and 3" tundra tires.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00013.jpg
Views:	997
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	102245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00014.jpg
Views:	1106
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	102246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00016.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	102247   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00017.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	102248   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0259.JPG
Views:	801
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	102249  

Name:	IMG_0264.JPG
Views:	829
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	102250  
Old 06-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
WOODZY
the names zy. wood zy lol

very nice wmcneal. i have a stock and just bellie land my beast . hahaha

woodzy
Old 06-04-2009, 02:04 AM   #6
C130 Load

Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by wmcneal View Post
I built my cub from the replacement parts and added a Turnigy 3536c brushless motor spinning an APC 9x4.7 SF prop. It flies on a 3cell 2250mah li-po. I also gave it a custom paint job, landing gear and 3" tundra tires.
Man that is very nice. Good Job!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:07 AM   #7
C130 Load

Friends: (2)

If anybody is flying the SC with a DX7 could you please let me know how you setup the SC with Expo, Throws, Etc.
Mine is modified with ailerons, brushless, Lipo along with structural upgrades.
Thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
Rob Cline
N00b Pilot

Default Lots of fun to be had modding

I just did ailerons myself, although I was surprised to find they need to be quite large- mine were maybe 8 inches and required a LOT of deflection. Much longer would have been better.

Without them, the cub was just too tame, boring even, no matter the power system. I used a 2830 and 9x6 prop... that 3536C is what I use on a T-28, so it'd be overkill on a cub - that must have some real guts, wmcneal!

I also went with a 2150 3s lipo, and can fly up to 30 mins with it. To get rid of the hassle of rubber bands, I put a brace where the back of the wing goes on the fuse, and a powerful magnet (from a computer hard disk) to hold the front on - it takes two hands to get it off! Also, glued some foam to the underside of the wing, so it sits inside the fuse, keeping it from sliding sideways.

I also didn't like having to unscrew the wing struts- at first I put balsa spars into the wings. That stiffened them up enough to fly without struts, but with a powerful brushless setup and tight loops in strong winds, it was still possible to snap the wing So, the struts came back, but instead of screws on the bottom of the fuse I used velcro. Now the wing comes off quick and easy.

If I were to do anything more with the old girl (or girls, I have 3...) I would maybe shorten the wings and use stronger tail parts, so it can do more acrobatic stuff.

Happy landings...

HZ SCx3, PZ T-28, PZ Corsair, and a rock that flies really well, but only over short distances due, I presume, to lack of ailerons
Old 07-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
colvid

Default Super Cub Modifications

Hi Woodzy

Currently have six flying Super Cubs. All have brushless motors of varying sizes and all have ailerons. Love these planes because was able to learn to fly (loosely speaking) and repairs are mostly easy. Please see photo of two with low wing, one with tricycle gear, one biplane and a tri-motor. The yellow one has five lights and had one with a engine sound generator but you couldn't hear from the ground. The tri-motor is ready to fly but waiting on a cooler day and have an expert flyer friend to try it out.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Love-My-HobbyZone-Cubs.gif
Views:	910
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	104639  
Old 07-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
unidaddy

I just bought one of these for my 10-year-old daughter (she comes to the field when I fly my E-flite 25 J-3 Cub). I can't wait until her birthday to give it to her (the 15th). She already has a bunch of sim experience and can land very well. I bought big diameter sport wheels for short grass take-offs. The mods that are possible are great! Colvid, I wouldn't have thought all those variations possible!!
Old 07-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #11
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Club: 114th RC Aerosquadron
Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via MSN to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey

Originally Posted by Rob Cline View Post
I just did ailerons myself, although I was surprised to find they need to be quite large- mine were maybe 8 inches and required a LOT of deflection. Much longer would have been better.
Look at most Cubs on the market... they either have full-span ailerons or big "barn door" ailerons. Takes a lot of force to move that big 'ol wing!

I'm thinking about picking one of these up (used) to goof around with. I love relaxing planes.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #12
dumo01
dumo01

Colvid
Great mods especially the trimotor.Please post how that works out when you fly it

All:
Most of the mods I have seen postings for using ailerons have talked about using a 12 inch by 1 inch aileron. Does that sound about right? I will probably think about doing a rebuild on mine in the next month or so, ailerons, lipo, new electronics so I can use my DX6 and am thinking more and more about a new motor
Old 07-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
jschall

If I ever get a better radio I'm gonna go for ailerons and flaps.

Glass the fuse right before the tail feathers, and the wing saddle
what are you talking about?
Old 07-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #14
colvid

Originally Posted by dumo01 View Post
Colvid
Great mods especially the trimotor.Please post how that works out when you fly it

All:
Most of the mods I have seen postings for using ailerons have talked about using a 12 inch by 1 inch aileron. Does that sound about right? I will probably think about doing a rebuild on mine in the next month or so, ailerons, lipo, new electronics so I can use my DX6 and am thinking more and more about a new motor
Hi dum01

My ailerons on four of them are 2" x 14" and they seem to fly great. A more experience flyer said they flew more like the larger planes he had flown in the past. The last ailerons were 2" and all the way to the tip. The only day I flew it, the wind was gusty so it was hard to tell if I made the right decision.

Larry
Old 07-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #15
JONS

On your super cub with 2"ailerons. did you get rid of the wing struts because i heard that the buttons on the wing for the struts are 2" in from the back of the wing. I heard that a good length and width is 12" by 1.75". by the video guy in the post up above at the top.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #16
colvid

Default Wing Struts for Super Cub

Failed to mention that I insert carbon rods in all of the wings so I don't have to install the struts each time. Recently flew one of the cubs with a stock wing to see how much difference there is without ailerons. Did a loop without the struts and thought the wing would break in two but luckily it did not.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #17
TLyttle
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

There's a dedicated site for SCs, try Super Cub Club; lots of good info going on there.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:39 AM   #18
dumo01
dumo01

Moded my SC with a Heads Up Park 450, ailerons lipo etc. Used the aluminum motor mount made by Custom RC. Am using an 1800 maH lipo mounted vertically up against the forward wall of the battery / electronics compartment of the cub. It appears that I need to put about 50 gms of weight into the nose to get the CG back to where it was before, which seems like a lot but if ti balances I guess that is what it needs. I have flown it as is and was able to do OK but needed a lot of down input ( trim plus stick) to keep it from trying ot climb all the time.
Does the 50 gm sound about right to those who have done this before? I rechecked the tail and wing incidence and that looks good. I expected to need some weight just maybe not that much.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #19
colvid

Default CG on Super Cub Motor conversion

On my ninth Super Cub with brushless motors. Had to extend motor for the correct CG. First is a Super Cub bi-plane extended 1 1/2 inch and the other I had to extend 2 1/8"

Old 08-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #20
Charlie Watts

Club: American International Aviation

SUPER CUB DILEMMA: I have a Super Cub I trained on (Frankenplane) that has a broken tail that has been CAed back o so many times the Cub will no longer fly. I have a choice: Buy an empty fuselage and transfer the electronics to it, or buy a fuselage with all new electronics. A friend wants to transfer everything. He could fix a Swiss watch. I prefer a fresh start. He's trying to get it back in the air for as little money as possible. I don't see that as a place to save $ 40.00 difference. Has anyone switched electronics, motor, etc?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:15 AM   #21
colvid

Default Electronics conversion on Super Cub

On the nine Super Cubs I have converted, used Elite S75 servos and 6100 or 6100E ESC to be used with Spectrum DX7 transmitters. There may be better servos but these are the ones I started with. On the alierons, used the same servos. I believe the fuseluge is either 18 or 22.00.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:10 AM   #22
dumo01
dumo01

If all you want to do is use the same electronics and motor its a very simple job to switch from the old to the new fuse and a lot cheaper. You can buy a new fuse for $ 25 just bought it from my LHS, you might find it cheaper. If you want to mod the cub to get better performance that will cost a little more depending on what you want to do. Re did my cub with park 450 class motor, ailerons, all new electronics. Mostly used gear I had around from other planes so I did no buy all new, but if I had would have cost about $160 for all plus the transmitter. Have gotten about three of four flights in since done. The difference in performance is great. A completely new plane. Just depends on what you want to do
Old 08-25-2009, 04:39 AM   #23
colvid

Default New Fuse???

Dumo

Tell me about the new fuse. (In simple terms I can understand.)

Larry
Old 08-25-2009, 10:50 PM   #24
dumo01
dumo01

Default New Fuse?

Originally Posted by colvid View Post
Dumo

Tell me about the new fuse. (In simple terms I can understand.)

Larry
Larry I meant a new fuselage, not an electric fuse. The last time I crashed my modified SC it came down on the nose so hard that the fuselage had a pretty sever bend, why it did not break is beyond me. Not much other damage of any note, but decided that trying to repair that was more aggravation than spending the $25 for a new fuselage. Did finally get a set up that seems to be working well. 450 class motor with the motor mount sold by Custom RC, had to add two washers to the top screw mounts to get a little more down thrust on the motor, two pop sickle sticks under the back edge of the wing to get a little more negative incidence on the wing and 2 ounces of weight in the nose. Also added ailerons running off of Hitec HS55 servos, and changed the elevator and rudder servos to JR MN 48 servos. They are way oversized, but they were sitting in my drawer doing nothing so the price was right. Spectrum 6100 e receiver. Using the 1800 maH stock batteries from my T28. Started out using a GWS 9050 prop and when that went well moved up to a GWS 1060. Flying it so far about 8-9 minutes about 3/4 throttle overall, coming down with about 11.3- 11.4 v left on the battery so pretty happy with that. I think that was you that had the picture of the SC trimotor posted a while back. Did you ever get that into the air?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #25
colvid

Default SC Fuse

Dumo
That's a nice set up for your SC. I use a carbon rod on the wings and weight it down to flatten it while the epoxy dries.
The tri-motor is ready to try but I just haven't taken the time. Below is the latest low wing (number 3) Got the template for the wing from Grubby Jeans.

Larry

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers