Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
Fulanito_uk

View Fulanito_uk's Gallery8
Friends: (0)
Default Need help with my transitional strategy.. OUT COME OF TODAYS FLIGHT!

Need help with my transitional strategy.. (is this three step plan good enough)

Ok, made up my mind today while working on endless excel sheets and looking out of the window on a nice sunny day? This is my plan, my ultimate goal is to get the E-Flite T-34 Mentor 25 RTF (which for me is a little on the expensive side but will feed my addiction for R/C planes for quite some time I think, I?m not a speed flyer or aerobatic just nice scale looks and smooth flights)...

So back to my three step plan,
  • (where I am now) a pretty good and happy Radian flyer
  • Buy a 4 channel plane (still no idea which would be the best trainer? keeping in mind the T-34 Mentor)
  • Get the Mentor after my experience with the step 2 plane?.
So three questions for you guys

1. What should the transitional trainer be (step 2) that would set me up nicely for the T-34?
2. Are three steps to short?
3. Or can I handle this plane with no additional flying, just practice on the simulator (FMS)?

Thanks for your input and comments !!!

(Note- I am self taught so you guys are all i have !!)
________
ultimate fighters
Old 07-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
rx20040

Personally, I think three steps is a little too much, but that's just me. I taught myself the basic on a simulator (Realflight G3), then got a Firebird Freedom (3-channel V-Tail), and then a Multiplex Acromaster (full aerobatic/3D plane). I have since built and flown 3 more aerobatic/3D planes.

If you can fly the Radian well now, I think you can practice on the simulator and then go right to the T-34! You might want to buddy box the first few flights just in case, but I personally don't see a need for the middle step.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Club: C.D.P.A.
Friends: (2)

Parkzone T28 is an outstanding 2nd plane (aileron). Flies great, good power. I still use mine as my warm-up plane.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Friends: (1)

Hey now,
I'll second the T-28. The Mentor is a very nice plane, good flyer, great looking too. However compared to the Radian it's fast, responsive, and being wood, fragile. Since you're on your own I'd think a nice foamie advanced trainer would be a wise idea and you can't do much better than the PZ T-28 for that niche.
RobII

History, tradition, culture, are *not* concepts!
These are things I keep in my den as paper weights!-Darwin Mayflower
Old 07-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
Leo L

The ParkZone T-28 Trojan is considered by many to be the best aileron trainer that you can buy. Although its a low wing plane, it flies remarkably steady at low speeds, yet it has quite decent performance capability. You may find that after flying the T-28, you no longer crave the T-34.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Fulanito_uk

thanks.. t-28 it isi get it tommorow... any tips on flying it?
________
ufc
Old 07-25-2009, 04:20 AM   #7
oem flyer

Check the cog before you fly it. Everyone I know that has one (including mine) was nose heavy. I believe the cog is 2.5 inches (63mm) behind the leading edge 1 inch(25mm) out from the fuselage. My flying tip would be once you get it airborne and trimmed, slow it down to about 2/3 throttle. It will seem very fast compaired to the Radian and it will fly nicely at this speed. Keep it High and close until you get used to the way it handles. Hope this helps--Oem Flyer
Old 07-25-2009, 05:22 AM   #8
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by oem flyer View Post
Check the cog before you fly it. Everyone I know that has one (including mine) was nose heavy. I believe the cog is 2.5 inches (63mm) behind the leading edge 1 inch(25mm) out from the fuselage. My flying tip would be once you get it airborne and trimmed, slow it down to about 2/3 throttle. It will seem very fast compaired to the Radian and it will fly nicely at this speed. Keep it High and close until you get used to the way it handles. Hope this helps--Oem Flyer

your absolutely correct on this one....
almost every parkzone plane I've seen was noseheavy...
Check CG...

t28's a good choice, I prefer for people to learn on foam... It's easy to repair with foamsafe glue or epoxy....

SK

Ministeve's videos
http://www.vimeo.com/user483596/videos
Ministeve's Photo Page at Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30153396@N06/
Old 07-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
Fulanito_uk

Well I did it!!! (still a little shaky!!) Went to the field.. lucky for me there was a cool Korean guy who had an E-flite Cub, watching me fly the Radian.. we got into a conversation and he said he had learnt on the T28 before going on to other things... so took the chance to pick his brains and even got him to do a test flight for me, we changed the 35Mhz and put in the Radian's 2.4Ghz as he said there was some interference in the area.. He gave me some pointers and landed gave the controls to me, and said just do it, planes don't take off on their own.. So I did and wow what a rush first flight was just circuit flying landed changed bat took it up again started looping rolls.. I was impressed with what I a newbie could do with this plane.. One close call I did a hammer stall and nearly hit the deck but luckily had enough clearance and all that happened was a few ooohhhsss from passers by, landing were also pretty cool! Then smoked a victory Cigg and watched the E-flite Cub, buzz around (great scale aircraft by the way!).. Bonus the Korea guy said he had a full charged Batt that would fit in the T-28 so you can have another 10 minutes.. Took it up again thanks to that! So all in all had an awesome flying day... Apart from breaking the radians tail when the back seat of the car which wasn't locked up and flew down on the plane when the car was breaking! But an ice lolly stick and gorilla glue fixed it while I had lunch so no real harm done!

Thanks for the advice! (sorry for any typos its an I phone) h
________
og kush marijuana
Old 07-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
Airhead
Redneck Member

View Airhead's Gallery23
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  Ambassador Award 
Friends: (29)

Good for you... Sounds like a good day! Keep up the good work.

Bruce
AMA 873912

Project Globetrotter participant
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it till it is.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

View BEAR-AvHistory's Gallery13
Club: Raleigh Durham Radio Control AMA Club #733
Friends: (2)

One weak point on the T-28 is the nose gear tends to loosen up & sometimes crack...look at the T-28 thread near the end for some solutions.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...5&postcount=35

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...8&postcount=25

Other then that its a great plane almost everyone in my club from new guys like me to giant scale & 3D competition guys have one. Great fun putting 20 or so of them in the air at the same time.

Also if you are flying off grass you might want to get bigger wheels for it.

Kevin

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions