Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #151
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

The only way AMA would no longer allow use of 27MHz or 72MHz would be if the FCC took them away from us for RC. They fought long and hard to get those freqs and will not give them up without a fight. But I think with the advent of 2.4GHz the FCC has been pressuring them.

Originally Posted by dbcisco
72Mhz (US)FM is still running strong, works extremely well and is still more widely used than 2.4Ghz.
You think so? I think it's the opposite. Just this past weekend we had the Arizona Electric Festival. Of the 200 registered pilots, only 10 radios were impounded (both on 27 and 72). That's just 5%. And from what I read they had over 900 pilots at the IRCHA with about 25 radios impounded.

I was 27/72 when I started back at the end of 2005. Other than the cheap ParkZone radios that came with a few planes, I used a JR XP8103. Most RXs I purchased were either Hitec 04MGs or Bergs. Prices were in the $30-$40 range. In May 2008 I converted my 8103 to 2.4GHz using the XPS module system. The migration was slow because RXs were $60 or higher. But now they are coming out with Nano RXs that will be priced at $30! Yay! I now run an XP9303 and just moved my 2.4 module from the 8103 and sold the old radio.

Originally Posted by dbcisco
I wonder how they held any events before 2.4Ghz.
2.4Ghz makes it easier, but FM wouldn't be impossible.
Typically when there was more than one flightline at an event, they divided the channels up between areas. It actually worked pretty good so long as you had a good control over impound.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #152
PaperAirplane
Subscribed...

Club: None (yet...)
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
Yes, Hitec's wording seems a bit confusing ...LOL.

Yes, Spectra is the term used for their radio's modules whether they be 72mhz Synthesized OR the new 2.4ghz versions.......all named Spectra.
It USED to be that Spectra was only used for the 72mhz synth module.....for the Eclipse7, Optic 6 and older Prism 7.

hope that helps

--Ray
So radio w/ spectra means radio w/ module?

By the way, what have yall heard about the Airtronics RDS8000?

Hanger: GWS Slow Stick; Nutball
Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #153
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

View dbcisco's Gallery9

Events usually represent people with lots of money who buy the newest equipment (that is not a bash, just observation). I will bet most of the radios were high-end Spektrums and FASST. That is no indicator of the millions who are flying RC planes. It is like going to a dog show and claiming mutts are in the minority of dogs in the world.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #154
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

That is a good point but even at our local clubs small electric fly in last fall the majority was 2.4.

Out of the 38 registered pilots over 30 of them were flying 2.4. A lot of them had both 2.4 and 72 as well.

That still doesn't take into account all the park flyer type guys that will never attend an event even as small as ours.

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #155
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

View dbcisco's Gallery9

What about people like me who fly in parks and farm fields. Even if I joined a club I would be ashamed to use my FM stuff after reading this. I would feel like I showed up at the prom in sneakers and tee-shirt.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #156
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

View Rabbitcreekok's Gallery8
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (30)

Originally Posted by JRBeaman View Post
When the AMA says we have to use 2.4, I will drop the AMA like a hot potato.

It won't be the AMA that says we have to use 2.4, it will be the FCC. There is already great pressure to give our small part of the 72 mhz range to commercial use. That is all the more reason to belong to the AMA because they are the only folks trying to keep that from happening.

Originally Posted by dbcisco View Post
What about people like me who fly in parks and farm fields. Even if I joined a club I would be ashamed to use my FM stuff after reading this. I would feel like I showed up at the prom in sneakers and tee-shirt.
Nothing wrong with flying on 72. I still have two FM transmitters that I use occasionally because that is what is in the planes. It certainly does not make anyone a second class citizen. And who cares what others think anyway.You could wear one on those T-shirts with the tux printed on the front.

Jim
AMA 735658
Old 02-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #157
PaperAirplane
Subscribed...

Club: None (yet...)

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
You could wear one on those T-shirts with the tux printed on the front.

I like those

Hanger: GWS Slow Stick; Nutball
Old 02-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #158
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I belong to two local clubs, and am thinking of joining a 3rd (they have the nice paved runway, but are expensive). I also fly at locations where there is no true club, just your average park flyers. Most of the members of all groups are on 2.4 of one brand or another. But yes, some are still on 27/72.

I attend fly-ins all across the southwest. At every single one the majority of flyers are on 2.4 (and no, we are not all rich. At least I know I'm not ). This is what I have observed over the past 3 years. So from my point of view 2.4 flyers outnumber 27/72 flyers by about 3:1.

Flying with 72 by no means makes you any less of a pilot, or says you're a second class citizen. The VP at one club has a very nice radio (XP9303 like mine), but he is still hanging onto 72 (he bought most of my used RXs ). I razz him all the time about flying with that big lightning rod on the front of his TX, but it is all in good fun. If you are not having issues on 72 and want to stay with it, that's just fine.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Old 02-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #159
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

I don't agree with that either. You would fit right in with our Club Pres who flys 72 only, and our Club VP who flies his 1/4 scale 26cc Gasoline Cub on 72, or our chief training officer who flies, and trains all his students on 72 or... I could go on but I suppose you get my point.

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #160
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

View smokejohnson's Gallery22
Club: Independent
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (108)

The majority of guys I fly with at our "Unclub" fly with 2.4. It's just easier that way since there is no frequency control board, rules, or membership required. That is why I finally made the switch. It was getting old walking up and down the flight line checking to make sure it was safe to turn on my transmitter. Even doing that I was guilty of shooting down another guys plane. I asked and he said he was on my channel but I guess I just didn't hear him.

No wonder my wife says I have selective hearing .

Old 02-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #161
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

72MHz is all but dead in our club. We have several guys that are holding out (switching cost is a bit high) but my last electric buddy has decided to buy a DX7 soon.

I was so glad I sold all my 72MHz stuff after receiving the DX6 for a review. Even though the base software for that TX stunk - I knew within a month of receiving that system that 2.4GHz would dominate the market as soon as a full range system was released. I knew I was right when my buddy - after getting shot down at the club field - sold all his Futaba equipment and bought a DX7 and 20 receivers. He was on Futaba and very loyal I might add for 35 years.

I think MOST of the the large events this year will be 2.4 only. It just saves the largest hassle imaginable frequency control. I quit going to large events - you could NEVER fly (well OK you could but were lucky to make 3-4 flights a day). I now go to events with 100 pilots and rarely wait.

I now have 25+ Spektrum RX's and may switch to Hitec - I LOVE the Aurora 9 can't wait until I get my own!

Mike
Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #162
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

View Wrench66's Gallery33
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flier's
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (20)

This is a great, adult discussion...LOL...I have to commend everyone for keeping this thread civil and informative.

I run FM because of the low initial cost to get involved 2 yrs ago..... if I had to go with 2.4 right away I may not have been able to afford RC flight.

beyond that.....IF it wasn't for 2.4 I wouldn't be having such a great time at my field because almost all the FM channels are open!!!
Definitely......everyone near me should be going to 2.4...thanks LOL

BTW..

--Ray

Man, gravity is ALWAYS wanting something from me
Old 02-03-2010, 01:11 AM   #163
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

View Voyager2lcats's Gallery58
Club: Not Now- Maybe Never
Friends: (33)

I am with Ray on this; the more that switch to 2.4 Ghz, the less likely those with 72 Mhz will get interference from other flyers. I haven't heard anything about the FCC moving to ban 72 Mhz, but if so then we will all have to switch and I guess I will live with it (I won't like it initially since I have no problems at present with my 72 Mhz equipment).

"Dum spiro spero." (While I breathe, I hope).
Old 02-03-2010, 01:17 AM   #164
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Originally Posted by Voyager2lcats View Post
I am with Ray on this; the more that switch to 2.4 Ghz, the less likely those with 72 Mhz will get interference from other flyers. I haven't heard anything about the FCC moving to ban 72 Mhz, but if so then we will all have to switch and I guess I will live with it (I won't like it initially since I have no problems at present with my 72 Mhz equipment).
they'll have too Pry my 72's from my cold dead------
just kidd'in
Now that the pin-boards open,, why switch!!bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 02-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #165
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

View Lieutenant Loughead's Gallery35
Club: Flown 517 days in a row!
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (24)

Well, I still have my first 72MHz transmitter, and two or three receivers. I use my Spektrum DX7 (2.4GHz) for 99% of my flying -- but that 72MHz radio is still around for my Slow Stick, my FSK P-38, and my Flat Foamy Wildcat (newbie trainer).

Nothing wrong with 72MHz.

For the record, I fly with James (Smoke Johnson) at the Unclub. We occasionally have someone fly within 300 yards of us, and somehow they don't know we're there. It's good peace of mind to know they can't shoot me down when I'm using my 2.4GHz radio.

Owner of the UNCLUB flying site and hobby shop in Arcadia, OK.

AMA #930992
Old 02-03-2010, 04:22 AM   #166
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

View dbcisco's Gallery9

I only got into RC flight three years ago and scrounged up the money for two Futaba FM TXes and really feel upset that they are now considered obsolete.
If I dump a grand into converting all my stuff over to 2.4Ghz will it be obsolete in a couple years? ( I have a dozen helis and two dozen planes now)
Dang, this is the reason I dumped Windows for Linux. Can't afford (or be bothered) to throw away perfectly good stuff every three years.
The only Spektrum setup I have is the mCX and I wish that was FM so I could use my worthless Futaba with it.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:35 AM   #167
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I continue to fail to understand why you think your equipment is "obsolete"? It is far from it. It works great and there is no real reason to switch over to 2.4. 72 will be around for years to come (if the FCC doesn't pull it from us). Heck, there are even still some AM and HAM sets still out there in use.

And there's absolutely no reason why you have to dump 72 and convert completely to 2.4 all at the same time. Just start simple, get a good used 2.4 radio (or a module for your Futaba TX if it is module based) and do a few at a time. What Futaba TXs do you have?

Back when I converted my 8103 to 2.4, there was a period of about a year where I used both 72 and 2.4 on the same radio. It was just a simple matter of switching out the TX modules for each system. Eventually I gathered up enough 2.4 RXs to completely convert over.

XPS is working great for me. Pretty soon they will start offering their new Nano RXs at $30 a pop. That's cheaper than what I was paying for my Hitec and Berg RXs.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Old 02-03-2010, 04:45 AM   #168
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

View dbcisco's Gallery9

I have a 6EXH and a 6xp, great radios (IMHO) but not modular.
Until the FCC bans them I don't think I will switch, I'm not in a club, never had interference or glitches (even with the $5 RXes from China) and don't use much in the way of range.
Now, if the prices come down close to what I am paying for FM Rxes (under $10) I might check it out.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:48 AM   #169
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Dude, where are you getting RXs for less than $10?? Or are they all purchased used?

XPS makes a generic module for any TX that is not modular, but has a trainer port. Just strap the module to the back of your TX, plug it into the trainer port, and viola! Instant 2.4GHz conversion!

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Old 02-03-2010, 06:04 AM   #170
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

View dbcisco's Gallery9

CHINA $7 new (FM neg. shift) !!!! Last time I bought them. Never had a glitch with them either (I just jinxed myself). I also got lots of free or almost free ones from "upgraders".

But like I said, I don't fly further than I can see (and my eyes are pretty bad) in parks, fields and the Church parking lot and mostly slow WWI scale flight. Also, my planes cost me under $100 each to build so the "insurance" concept is wasted on me. I sarcastically say obsolete because some 2.4Ghz mavens I know think FM is something on the order of attaching M-80's to your plane and throwing matches at it.
Understood if you have a really nice or expensive plane and/or need lots of range and super reliability you will want to protect it as much as possible.

Honestly, I chime in because I think many newbies get the impression that you have to have the latest, best and most expensive equipment to play. I think sometimes people are chased away from the hobby by some of the comments (FCC scares, fields banning FM, get 2.4Ghz or else, etc.). I would never have started in this hobby if it wasn't inexpensive to start and relatively inexpensive to build my hanger of dozens of aircraft.
Just 2.4Ghz receivers (for 12 helis and 24 planes) would have been around $1500. That is more than I spent on everything in the last two years.

BTW, I am just starting to use BL in my newer planes (I love China).
Old 02-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #171
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

View dbcisco's Gallery9

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Dude, where are you getting RXs for less than $10?? Or are they all purchased used?

XPS makes a generic module for any TX that is not modular, but has a trainer port. Just strap the module to the back of your TX, plug it into the trainer port, and viola! Instant 2.4GHz conversion!
Is XPS Specrum or FAAST?

I avoid proprietary systems because I believe that Spektrum and possibly FAAST will become the de facto standards (like Futaba and JR for FM) once the dust settles and all the others will be akin to Walkera stuff now (BTDT).
Old 02-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #172
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

View Wrench66's Gallery33
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flier's
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (20)

CHINA $7 new (FM neg. shift) !!!! Last time I bought them. Never had a glitch with them either (I just jinxed myself). I also got lots of free or almost free ones from "upgraders".

But like I said, I don't fly further than I can see (and my eyes are pretty bad) in parks, fields and the Church parking lot and mostly slow WWI scale flight. Also, my planes cost me under $100 each to build so the "insurance" concept is wasted on me. I sarcastically say obsolete because some 2.4Ghz mavens I know think FM is something on the order of attaching M-80's to your plane and throwing matches at it.
Understood if you have a really nice or expensive plane and/or need lots of range and super reliability you will want to protect it as much as possible.

Honestly, I chime in because I think many newbies get the impression that you have to have the latest, best and most expensive equipment to play. I think sometimes people are chased away from the hobby by some of the comments (FCC scares, fields banning FM, get 2.4Ghz or else, etc.). I would never have started in this hobby if it wasn't inexpensive to start and relatively inexpensive to build my hanger of dozens of aircraft.
Just 2.4Ghz receivers (for 12 helis and 24 planes) would have been around $1500. That is more than I spent on everything in the last two years.

BTW, I am just starting to use BL in my newer planes (I love China).
Well, you're sure helping the cause, DBcisco thank you.....I agree with your ideals that we need to be very careful about the new flyers. I was one who as I said above could not have started this great hobby without the knowledge of FM radios were perfectly capable of guiding anything I could afford. I did see a lot of 2.4 talk on the forums, and took notice of some of the "teething" problems our flying buddies were dealing with from 2.4....brown outs and failure to bind were (are? lol) popular discussions
As yourself, I also enjoy flying at smaller schoolyard and soccer fields keeping the planes fairly close in.....but my Slow Stick has been up high with my camera many times and I don't feel it was ever in any danger of a fly away...radiowise. I do think a lot of the attitude towards FM nowadays is stemming from just plain ignorance to the fact that FM radios are more than capable and that 2.4 is just another tool to use.....no better no worse.
In the AMA's eye's, the AM to FM jump was necessary, but an FM to 2.4 isn't nearly as important.....IMHO

Great topic!

--Ray

Man, gravity is ALWAYS wanting something from me
Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #173
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Is XPS Specrum or FAAST?

I avoid proprietary systems because I believe that Spektrum and possibly FAAST will become the de facto standards (like Futaba and JR for FM) once the dust settles and all the others will be akin to Walkera stuff now (BTDT).
Right now, every single 2.4 system is proprietary and non-compatible with other 2.4 systems (with the exception that JR and Spektrum are both DSM2 because they are in bed together). So;

Spektrum/JR DSM/2 systems can only be used with Spektrum equipment

Futaba systems can only be used with Futaba equipment

XPS systems can only be used with XPS equipment

etc, etc

And the module based systems like XPS, Assan and the modules Spektrum makes are still proprietary too. For example, if you put a Spektrum brand module in a Futaba 9Z, you still have to use Spektrum DSM2 RXs, you can't use a FASST RX.

Personally, I don't see a future where there will be any one standard for 2.4 like there was for AM and FM (except for the JR/Futaba shift thing on FM). Each of these systems now runs off a computer microchip, and each company has it's own code for the data signal.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Old 02-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #174
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

View dbcisco's Gallery9

All it will take is for someone (probably the Chinese or Japanese Electronics firms) to reverse engineer DSM(2) and/or FAAST. There is nothing illegal about, dome all the time. Just like Linux is a reverse engineered UNIX OS and SCO, Novell, Sun etc, couldn't stop it. You can't steal or copy code but you are fully allowed to write your own. All you need to do is put a scope on the RX and TX signals and write code from scratch that sends/receives the same signals for each function. Part of the project is already done as the open channel search and binding procedures are public info (FCC Specs) available to anyone.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #175
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Right now, every single 2.4 system is proprietary and non-compatible with other 2.4 systems (with the exception that JR and Spektrum are both DSM2 because they are in bed together). So;

Spektrum/JR DSM/2 systems can only be used with Spektrum equipment

Futaba systems can only be used with Futaba equipment

XPS systems can only be used with XPS equipment

etc, etc

And the module based systems like XPS, Assan and the modules Spektrum makes are still proprietary too. For example, if you put a Spektrum brand module in a Futaba 9Z, you still have to use Spektrum DSM2 RXs, you can't use a FASST RX.

Personally, I don't see a future where there will be any one standard for 2.4 like there was for AM and FM (except for the JR/Futaba shift thing on FM). Each of these systems now runs off a computer microchip, and each company has it's own code for the data signal.
And just to add - I suspect you will never see this change. The proprietary march started with PCM and the developers are enjoying the "brand loyalty" component of 2.4GHz.

It stinks for the consumer so align with a system that offers affordable RX's.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros