Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-10-2009, 01:38 AM   #26
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,133 Times in 2,042 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (307)

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
That is sweeeet you have the a lot of different skills going for you and the patience of a saint. You should submit this build to model aviation the detail is incredible.
Yes, I agree with Gramps, this build would make for some Great Reading in Model Aviation Mag. Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #27
DCflyer

Friends: (3)
Default DH-2 scratchbuild

thanks Chellie, i do think 99% of the folks on this forum no more than i ever will. ive only done 2 kit builds and this is my first scratch build,actually my second, my first was a 1/7 scale fokker dv11 and the plans were so bad i ended up smashing it to smitherenes. but ive come to learn that if the plans are not of a kit build you have to think outside the box and 20 steps ahead in otherwords if you cut a part from a plane and think it going to fit like a glove or at all for that matter your in for a rude awakening and this just shows how naive i am and how new i am at this hobby( less than 2 yrs) but i'm learning. as far as modeling i must be a natural. in my whole intire life i probably built 3 plastic kits and thats when i was ten and was a long, long time ago. i started this hobby and fell in love with it and seem to like the building more than flying. at a time when there is very little creative challenge at least for me it's been a life saver. anyway enough with the bio, some more pics of the progress. the cockpit is all finished and i also handstitched the combing on to match the seat cushion and i framed up the tail feathers. i built the LG out of brass tube with the apropriate size music wire running through them for strength. the same for the hardwood legs, i made them solid then i made a drill bit 7 inches long and put a hole all the way down through them so i could insert music wire and weld them to the mounting stud. i'm starting to scratch build a 7 cylinder gnome. the only thin i'll be useing that were made already are some cylinders from a 1/6 scale WB lerhone which i'll modify to represent a gnome cylinder.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	108982

Name:	36.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	108983

Name:	37.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	108984

Name:	38.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	108985

Name:	39.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	108986

Name:	43.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	108987

Name:	44.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	108988

Name:	45.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	108989
Old 09-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #28
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Talking DCflyer I Think You Have Got the Knack

Beautiful Work, I am loving this Build

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 09-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #29
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

to funny Chellie LOL.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #30
gramps2361
Community Moderator

If that is how long you have been building then I'm way behind the eight ball and you have a gift not a knack. Again great looking work DCflyer.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:20 AM   #31
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

View dbcisco's Gallery9
Friends: (7)

That level of detail in such a short time is genius IMHO.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:52 AM   #32
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Hi DC flyer are you also SPIKKKKKKKK over at RCG, Some really nice builds there too, but they were never finished, like the DR1 and DV11 and the poor Proctor N-11 that a drunk flew and crashed it Oh well, thats RC, Take Care, Chellie

Old 09-11-2009, 03:00 AM   #33
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Looks like we had a Spikkkkkkkk here on Wattflyers too, and he did not finish a DR1 build

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38081

Old 09-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #34
DCflyer

Default scratcbuilt airco DH-2

i'm not going to confirm or denie that's why there are a couple of sights i don't subscribe to anymore, to much bad blood. here are some pics of a 1/5 scale proctor N-11, it's all repaired now and a VK DR1 1/6 scale i did. as for the 1/8 scale dr1 there was a flood in my basement and the moister from it warped this plane beyond anykind of straigtning so i scratched that build and the 1/6 scale DV11 got so bad because of the plans it became a source of frustration not enjoyment so i smashed it to bits of course keeping any thing worth salvageing. that's it shellie, thats all ive built. by the way i was admireing some of your builds and such, and maybe different from what i do you are an incredibly resourceful and innovative women and would be proud to call you friend anyday.
Rob

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	109103

Name:	c.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	109104

Name:	d.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	109105

Name:	e.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	109106

Name:	f.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	109107

Name:	g.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	109108

Name:	h.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	109109
Old 09-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #35
gramps2361
Community Moderator

DC hope you continue post here on your builds looking forward to seeing more of your talent. Great pic's of your past builds.

The pic on the instrument panel is a nice touch carrying a loved one to battle.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #36
barmonkey

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Impressive! Can't wait to see more on this one...

Rob, if you could suggest what kind of tools to use to cut the small brass and other metal parts...It would be greatly appreciated. I have some electroplate and brass that need to be cut for a long stalled project.

Tim
Old 09-13-2009, 01:44 AM   #37
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by DCflyer View Post
i'm not going to confirm or denie that's why there are a couple of sights i don't subscribe to anymore, to much bad blood. here are some pics of a 1/5 scale proctor N-11, it's all repaired now and a VK DR1 1/6 scale i did. as for the 1/8 scale dr1 there was a flood in my basement and the moister from it warped this plane beyond anykind of straigtning so i scratched that build and the 1/6 scale DV11 got so bad because of the plans it became a source of frustration not enjoyment so i smashed it to bits of course keeping any thing worth salvageing. that's it shellie, thats all ive built. by the way i was admireing some of your builds and such, and maybe different from what i do you are an incredibly resourceful and innovative women and would be proud to call you friend anyday.
Rob
Ok Thats Understandable Rob And i would be proud to call you my friend Too Rob Take care, Chellie

Old 09-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #38
DCflyer

Default airco DH-2 scratchbuild

Originally Posted by barmonkey View Post
Impressive! Can't wait to see more on this one...

Rob, if you could suggest what kind of tools to use to cut the small brass and other metal parts...It would be greatly appreciated. I have some electroplate and brass that need to be cut for a long stalled project.

Tim
hi tim, i use basic hobby tools, exacto knife, jewelers saw etc. for alum. i hand cut every thing with exacto and i use litho plate that's about 0.13 to 0.15 thick score and bend sand and smooth. to get shape i tack on a template on paper output from corel graphic program. i use corel for every thing, i find it easier than my cad programs and it does basically the same thing. now the big question " brass" and if you happen to catch on the first page that i etch all my brass parts. about 6 months ago i purchsed a small etching system from micro-mark, they have a incredible site for online hobbiest of all types. anyway when i found out how easy it was to do etching in your basement it blew me away. since then ive really mastered the process by getting a bigger tank and adding citric acid to my ferric chloride and little things like that to make it faster and also makes your etching solution last longer. i still purchase all my chemicals ferric clhoride, sodium hydroxide, photo resist which covers both sides of your metal plate ( stainless steel or brass) and inkjet film from micromark.com . here are a few pics of the process and you can also make 3 dementional parts or write by scoring or writing some verbage on one side of your film this way it only etches part way. i forgot to add that my stainless steel or brass ranges from 0.05 to 0.15 in thickness, the thicker it is the longer it takes to etch and i wouldn't put anyting thicker through my laminator.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	109199

Views:	407
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	109200

Name:	c.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	109201

Name:	d.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	109202

Name:	e.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	109203

Name:	f.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	109204

Name:	g.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	109205

Name:	h.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	109206
Old 09-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #39
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

View dbcisco's Gallery9

Looks like a fish tank and air stone.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #40
TDisaster
Don't worry, be happy.

Club: Flying Hawks R/C Club
Send a message via AIM to TDisaster
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (14)

Originally Posted by DCflyer View Post
hi tim, i use basic hobby tools, exacto knife, jewelers saw etc. for alum. i hand cut every thing with exacto and i use litho plate that's about 0.13 to 0.15 thick score and bend sand and smooth. to get shape i tack on a template on paper output from corel graphic program. i use corel for every thing, i find it easier than my cad programs and it does basically the same thing. now the big question " brass" and if you happen to catch on the first page that i etch all my brass parts. about 6 months ago i purchsed a small etching system from micro-mark, they have a incredible site online for hobbiest of all types. anyway when i found out how easy it was to do etching in your basement it blew me away. since then ive really mastered the process by getting a bigger tank and adding citric acid to my ferric chloride and little things like that to make it faster and also makes your etching solution last longer. i still purchase all my chemicals ferric clhoride, sodium hydroxide, photo resist which covers both sides of your metal plate ( stainless steel or brass) and inkjet film from micromark.com . here are a few pics of the process and you can also make 3 dementional parts or write by scoring or writing some verbage on one side of your film this way it only etches part way.
Very nice work!

We use Corel in my manufacturing class at my school and it is much easier than using Auto Desk. Except we export it to the CNC rather than print out templates.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #41
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

Do you have a link for the site withe the etching materials.
And do they have instructions too?

Paul
Old 09-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #42
DCflyer

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Do you have a link for the site withe the etching materials.
And do they have instructions too?

Paul
yes, it's micromark.com and yes they do have instructions
Old 09-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #43
DCflyer

Default DH-2

Originally Posted by dbcisco View Post
Looks like a fish tank and air stone.
yes it is a plastic fishtank and holds a 5" piece square of brass opposed to micromark's plastic tank and ive since moved on from air stone to a custom airiator that i use. the stone breaks down and desinagrates after 5 or 6 etchings and my new one has more thrust to make things faster. you definitely want to go with plastic or glass or plexi thats glued together, NO METAL like glass tank has holding the corners together plus anything that's glued together has to withstand the heat from your ferric chloride, you have to heat your chemical just below boiling it makes the etching faster and cleaner that's why i chose a molded tank to eliminate some of the variables some day when i have the money i will go with a lexan or plexi with the special glue and also a ceramic heating element so i would never have to take the ferric chloride out except when it gets bad,( to many etchings) and pour some fresh stuff in. micromark.com gives you a plastic tank that's 3 1/2" square by 10", it's tall like a quart of milk that's so you only have add 16 oz. of etchant to get the desired depth
Old 09-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #44
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

View dbcisco's Gallery9

Reminds me off the photo etching of circuit boards I did years ago. Same principles?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #45
DCflyer

Default airco DH-2 scratchbuild

i finally finished my 7 cyl. gnome. i just about scratch built the whole thing. for one thing you cant find a gnome in 1/6 scale but do believe WB sells a 1/4 scale cylinder. so i scavenged the net for reference material, ( ther seems to be quite a few versions of this engine) and started building. the crankcase is made from 1/16 ply laminated with 0.10 stainless steel. i used some existing cyl. i had left over from my newport 11 build. i had to make a 1/5 scale( which they dont make) out of two 1/6 scale lerhone kits, that was a challenge i was newer at this than i am now. back to the knome i cut the head off the cyl and a little nip and tuck here and there.every else i etched in brass and stainless steel. the new heads are all soldered together and were made from 3 brass circles from small to large with 0.15 thickness all notched and stacked. all the 3-D were etched flat with a score line etched on one side for easy and clean bending into it's form. the crank cover etc. is stainless steel backed by 1/16 ply lamed together. the engine also spins at about 1/6 the overall rpm and seems to look relly good no wobble. i did this by fluting the inside of my mount and the engine crankcase so it basically pinwheels at about 1000 rpm and seems very balanced with my out runner a 35-48-850 rimfire with a 70 amp speed controller. i think if i hooked up the dummy motor with the outrunner the torque and kv combined would have been to much, gnome parts flying every where, duck. talk to you in a bit.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	46.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	109273

Name:	47.jpg
Views:	1408
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	109274

Name:	48.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	109275

Name:	49.jpg
Views:	1354
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	109276

Name:	50.jpg
Views:	1373
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	109277

Name:	51.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	109278

Name:	52.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	109279

Name:	53.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	109280

Views:	487
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	109281
Old 09-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #46
wattman

View wattman's Gallery1
Friends: (6)

OH MY , this plane is really over the top , I cannot wait to see it complete and flying .

DO not tell us that the rocker arms are working as it rotates also
Old 09-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #47
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane

Club: AMA number is: 934723
Friends: (10)

Again, my jaw has dropped to the floor..
Just amazing !!

When I grow up, I want to be like DCflyer !!

Old 09-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #48
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Oh brother...

That photo of the spinning motor had me feeling like

And you dont work for the Smithsonian because

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 09-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #49
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Amazing craftsmanship! What weight are you targeting?..

Are you really going to fly it or will it be for static display?.. If it were me I'd be frightened to fly it after putting in all that work. Flying or not it's a work of art.

Please keep the inspirational build photos coming.

Steve
Old 09-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #50
dai phan

Friends: (0)

Hello all,

Very impressive work. You should enter this in Top Gun contest and it will blow away many of much larger models. This model once completed should be in the Smithonian Museum in the WW1 Gallergy section! DP

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era