Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-18-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
jjw
Luckless Pedestrian

Friends: (0)
Default Cheap and Cheerful Charger. A review of sorts.

(For those that might be shopping for a new LiPo charger....)

I'd been looking for a relatively inexpensive field charger, primarily for lithium cells, to compliment the somewhat immobile device that I have on the bench at home (its connected to a computer) . The requirements were as follows:

- It needed to be a portable field charger, so working off 12 vdc was a must
- Primarily for "1C" charging, 2 to 3 cell lithium batteries of 250 to 2000 mah capacity
- Balancing capability
- Inexpensive

After a quick search on the web it became clear that the world had changed considerably in the 3 or so years since I bought my last charger. I found that virtually every unit on the market is made to run on 12 volts dc, so no problem there. LiPo batteries are the hot commodity these days, so chargers are a-plenty, no problem there either. The difficulty turned out to be finding something that had the combination of selectable charge rates for the range of cell capacities I had, cell balancing capability, and most importantly, a low price. Well, one finally surfaced. It was the Dynam Supermate DC6. According to the description it fit all my needs ...and then some.

Basic Specifications:

Operating voltage: 10 to 18
Charge current range: 0.1 to 5.0A in 0.1A incrememnts
Lithium cell count: 1 to 6
NiCd/NiMH cell count: 1 to 15

...and it has a discharge function enabling auto cycling, balancing capability on charge and discharge, works with LiPo, Lilo and LiFe cells (as well as NiCd, NiMH and Lead Acid), 3 charge modes for Lithium - "Conventional 1C", "Fast" and "Storage", and a whole lot of other stuff, all under microprocessor control. Go here for a more complete description:
http://www.dynam-rc.com/products/battery/charger.htm

The retailer - Hobbypartz.com - had it listed for a very attractive $34.95, with a flat rate shipping fee of only $4.95. And to make things even better, in my web surfing I had found a promotional code that would get me an additional 5% off, so that put the charger at my house for less than 40 bucks. Well, as you've probably guessed, I took the chance and ordered the Dynam, 6 days later a surprisingly small box was left at my front door.

(In case anyone is wondering, I have no relationship with either Dynam or Hobbypartz.com)

The pic below shows everything that came in the box (6 inch metal scale for size reference). Note the variety of output adapters. There is even one for a glow plug device. Anyone out there know what a glow plug is?...

One of the things I first noticed is that this Dynam charger is functionally identical to several other chargers I've seen on the market (the Turnigy Accucel-6 for example). All of them made in China. It is my guess they are basically the same design produced in batches by a single contract manufacturer. They differ only in name, cosmetics and "extra" features.

Documentation came in the form of a "mini" CD. On it is a single file containing the english language "Operating Manual" in PDF format. Although obviously written by someone where english is a second language, it is reasonably well done. There were only a couple of spots where the grammar was ackward enough to be confusing. Note: the manual provided was for the more expensive "Double Power" version which can run off both 120v AC and 12v DC, apparently the user interface and features are identical. I won't go into detail here regarding the set-up procedures. Those interested can download and study the manual from the link above. I will just say that I found the user interface very intuitive and easy to use. The few questions that did come up were answered with a quick glance at the manual.

I've had the charger for a little over a week now, and so far it has worked just as advertised without issue. It appears to be quite well built and rugged. There was one area I paid particular attention to because it had been a problem with chargers I had purchased in the past. That was charge current accuracy. To test it, I put my trusty FLUKE DVM in series with a battery being charged and measured output current at several different rates. In all cases the actual measured current was within 10% of the "programmed" value, always measuring high. I also checked to see what happened at completion of a charge cycle, whether there was any current still being feed to the battery or if there was a parasitic drain. My FLUKE just dithered between +1, 0 and -1 ma. I consider that zero for all practical purposes.

I was also curious as to how well the balancing function worked. So I checked individual cell voltages both after balance charge and balance discharge. The charger itself showed all voltages to be within 0.01 volt at completion. I then removed the battery and tested each cell "no load" with my DVM. In all cases they matched within 0.005 volts. Quite
satisfactory in my mind.

Well, that's probably enough for now. Although I've only barely touched on many of the features, and some not at all. I'll just end this by saying I'm quite impressed... especially considering the price.

Jim.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
radialarm
Crash Test Clown!!!

View radialarm's Gallery14
Send a message via MSN to radialarm Send a message via Yahoo to radialarm
Friends: (2)

I was looking at that same exact charger!!!

For the price it's great!!!

It will charge Lipos, NiMHs, and NiCads!!!

We have almost identical multi testers too!!!

Mine's a lot older and has a few other functions!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Red Scholefield
Batteries/Chargers

Club: Flying Gators MAC - Gainesville, FL
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (6)

FMA is offering their CellPro 4S LiPo balancing charger for $49.95. This is one of the best LiPo chargers on the market for the price. Ask anybody that has one.

Red S. AMA 951
The Battery Clinic
www.hangtimes.com/redsbatteryclinic.html
The older I get, the better I use to fly.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
jjw
Luckless Pedestrian

Originally Posted by Red Scholefield View Post
FMA is offering their CellPro 4S LiPo balancing charger for $49.95. This is one of the best LiPo chargers on the market for the price. Ask anybody that has one.
Hi...

I agree that the FMA charger is a very capable unit. In fact, I considered it when I was shopping. I realize that many feel it is the current "benchmark" of small chargers. Its feature list is certainly impressive. However, there were several reasons why I went with something else...

- Price. That low $49.95 you mentioned must be a very recent change (as in the last week or two). Last I saw, the price was $79.95 and if you picked up a few of the options required to utilize the more advanced features, it was substantially higher than that.

- User interface. That single mode button on the FMA wasn't a big hit with me. I found the different "hold times" required to select functions a little awkward. Its nothing one couldn't get use to, but it was less intuitive than other designs.

-Feel. With its plastic case and the somewhat "chinsy" mode switch the FMA felt... well... cheap. Maybe its the old yankee in me, but if I'm going to shell out close to a hundred bucks for something I want it to have a little heft and a rugged feel. In contrast, the little Dynam has a nicely finished brushed aluminum case with substantial heat sinks at the ends, and its all held together with real metal fasteners. The 4 "programming" buttons have a solid feel with good tactile and audible feedback.

Just one man's opinion of course... everybody has there own priorities... and any criticism I have is meant to be constructive.

(BTW... that Bantam Charger that you reviewed on your site is functionally identical to the Dynam I reviewed here.)

Enjoy... Jim.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Red Scholefield
Batteries/Chargers

Club: Flying Gators MAC - Gainesville, FL
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (6)

Originally Posted by jjw View Post
Hi...

- Price. That low $49.95 you mentioned must be a very recent change (as in the last week or two). Last I saw, the price was $79.95 and if you picked up a few of the options required to utilize the more advanced features, it was substantially higher than that.

This is a new price offering just in the past few days.

-Feel. With its plastic case and the somewhat "chinsy" mode switch the FMA felt... well... cheap. Maybe its the old yankee in me, but if I'm going to shell out close to a hundred bucks for something.

I couldn't agree more with you on this point, note that while the CellPro Multi 4 is essentially the same format,
They did add a decent case to it.

(BTW... that Bantam Charger that you reviewed on your site is functionally identical to the Dynam I reviewed here.)

Yes, it seems that the design has come out under a number of different lables with minor changes in the firmware.
Enjoy... Jim.
Red S.

Red S. AMA 951
The Battery Clinic
www.hangtimes.com/redsbatteryclinic.html
The older I get, the better I use to fly.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

I did not see how many watts of power the charger is able to produce - I suspect it is not able to handle 6s at 5 amps for 126w of power - or is it?

Mike
Old 10-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
jjw
Luckless Pedestrian

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
I suspect it is not able to handle 6s at 5 amps for 126w of power - or is it?

Mike
You are correct... With a 6 cell battery (LiPo) the max charge current is stated to be 2.3 amps max.

Can't have everything for $34.94...

Wasn't a big deal to me 'cause all my stuff is parkflyer size and smaller...

Jim.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Thanks Jim I suspected it was 50w it is in that price range.

You are right - still a good price. I wonder if this one is 150w or if is AC input (it does not say but shows AC in?) - that is sure obscure....but I am confident that is what they mean by "doublepower".

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-1003.html

Mike
Old 10-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
jjw
Luckless Pedestrian

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Thanks Jim I suspected it was 50w it is in that price range.

You are right - still a good price. I wonder if this one is 150w or if is AC input (it does not say but shows AC in?) - that is sure obscure....but I am confident that is what they mean by "doublepower".

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-1003.html

Mike
Hi.. that charger is the same as the Dynam I reviewed above except it has a built in power supply. You can run it on 120vac or 12vdc. Still just a 50 watt unit...

Jim.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
cbatters
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

I have a similar charger badged GTPRO in gold. has served me very well for over a year.

The only thing it is missing is ESR measureemnt of the pack. Would be a useful thing to display - useful health indicator of pack.

Clint

Current - Ventura, HZ SuperCub-Freedom-Swift-AB3, PZ Typhoon, T-28 Trojan, Radian, AeroAce Biplane
Maiden - F-27C Stryker
10 years Ago - ElectroSoar 2M Glider, 2M Foam Glider, Mirage 550
Retired - Sky Fly, Red Hawk, Extreme, Challenger
Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
cbatters
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

Does anyone know for sure if individual LIPO cell voltages are monitoered during Charge and Fast Charge cycles or only during Balance and Store? (I have gotten in the habbit of using Balance mode but not sure why.)

Current - Ventura, HZ SuperCub-Freedom-Swift-AB3, PZ Typhoon, T-28 Trojan, Radian, AeroAce Biplane
Maiden - F-27C Stryker
10 years Ago - ElectroSoar 2M Glider, 2M Foam Glider, Mirage 550
Retired - Sky Fly, Red Hawk, Extreme, Challenger
Old 10-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
tiger moth

View tiger moth's Gallery69
Friends: (3)

Thinking about getting the Supermate DC6 with AC power. Seems like the extra $17.50 will be worth it to not futz around with other AC adapter/converters. Also, looks like the FMA charger requires some additional components to adapt to non-FMA batteries.

- John
Old 10-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #13
tiger moth

Also, thinking about getting some Hyperion G3 CX/VX fast charging LiPos. Sounds like this would be a good charger for them!

John
Old 10-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #14
SARG5
SARG5

Club: RUSSELL R/C. HAVE BUILT MY OWN R/C FILED ON MY FARM

New to e-flite. I NEED EVERYTHING. Price wise, NEED TO GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.
Been reading all of the above, Great info.
Now.
I have been told, for Charger. I NEED A AC/DC
Go with --- Thunder Power - Venom or Dynamite
Which of the three [3] , would give me the best start up. AND THE BEST PRICE.
SARG5
Old 10-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #15
jjw
Luckless Pedestrian

Originally Posted by SARG 5 View Post
I have been told, for Charger. I NEED A AC/DC
Go with --- Thunder Power - Venom or Dynamite
Which of the three [3] , would give me the best start up. AND THE BEST PRICE.
SARG5
Well, If what you need is an AC/DC type charger than IMO you couldn't go wrong with either the Dynam Supermate DC6 Doublepower http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-1003.html or the Thunder AC6 http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html ...they are functionally identical.

You should also consider the FMA CellPro http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applications/multi4.html many feel this one is the best... unfortunately it only has a DC input so you would have to buy a seperate power supply to run it on AC.

However, understand that these are only 50 watt chargers. So if you are using high LiPo cell counts (>4) with high capacities (>2500 mah) they may not be the best choice... (they'll work, but your charge times will be somewhat long). If you need more of an explanation on that, just let us know...

Good luck... Jim.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #16
SARG5
SARG5

Club: RUSSELL R/C. HAVE BUILT MY OWN R/C FILED ON MY FARM

Thank you for your information.
Wish that I could get all of this stright in my mind. MIND BENDING.
SARG5
Old 10-31-2009, 02:43 AM   #17
drsmooth

Cool

Does this charger have a back lit screen? It doesn't look like it in the pics.

till next time,,,,,

KEEP ON RACING!!!

or in this case....FLYING!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
jjw
Luckless Pedestrian

Originally Posted by drsmooth View Post
Does this charger have a back lit screen? It doesn't look like it in the pics.
If you're aking about the Dynam charger, the answer is yes... its back-lit and very easy to read.

Jim.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:09 PM   #19
drsmooth

Cool

Thanks Jim. I'm still torn between the Dynam dc version, the Dynam duel power version, the Thunder duel power version, and the SkyCharger duel power. All seem to have the same features, but the feature that I like the most is the store feature. I have a CellPro 4S that I love, but the store feature on it is charge only. I like the idea of a charger that will charge or discharge a battery to the proper storage voltage.
Now if I can just find out if hobbyparts.com can ship using USPS priority mail, I'll be in business.

till next time,,,,,

KEEP ON RACING!!!

Old 11-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #20
drsmooth

Cool

Well, resisted the temptation as long as I could. Got one ordered yesterday. Now the waiting begins.

till next time,,,,,

KEEP ON RACING!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #21
HEMICUDA

The only thing that bothers me about this charger is that it doesn't have a cooling fan. I've been teetering on the fence between the AC-6 and the T-6 @ Hobbypartz also. the T-6 has a cooling fan.

Hemicuda
Old 11-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #22
drsmooth

Cool

This charger is very simular to the Triton Jr. It has no fan, but worked very well. We'll keep an eye on it for a while to make sure it doesn't overheat. I also have a few fans that I can use if it looks like it might need some extra cooling.

till next time,,,,,

KEEP ON RACING!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 02:45 AM   #23
drsmooth

Cool Dynam Supermate DC6 came today........

Well, got my new Dynam Supermate DC6 in today. Pulled it out of the box, looked very nice. Only thing I didn't like was the lipo tap board. It's wired backwards compared to my D/N Power charger. But I made a reverse adapter that solved that. Another minus is the 22awg wire they used on the supplied adapters. I'm goint to try them when I charge my 5000mah 2 cell lipo this weekend & see how they hold up.
Next I plugged a charge cable I have for the 600 mah 2 cell lipo into the banana jack ports, connected everything up, set the charger, & pushed the start button. An alarm went off. REVERSE VOLTAGE! Well, I found out that the reverse polarity protections works great.
After getting all my ducks in a row, started the balance charge cycle and waited. Charged the pack up perfectly. The pack voltage was at 8.39 volts, and the two cells were at 4.20 & 4.20. SWEET!
Next I set the storage mode for the same 600 mah pack & hit start. After about 30 mminutes the alarm sounded stating the cycle was complete. The pack was at 7.59 & the two cells were at 3.82 & 3.82. Again, SWEET!
I proceeded to put the rest of my packs on storage mode & they all were at the same reading as the first pack.
The whole time, the charger just got warm to the touch. The heatsinks were doing their job.
Next I set up the nimh settings for my 8 cell transmitter pack. Charged it perfectly.
It's still early, but so far I'm loving this little charger.

till next time,,,,,

KEEP ON RACING!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #24
tiger moth

Originally Posted by HEMICUDA View Post
The only thing that bothers me about this charger is that it doesn't have a cooling fan. I've been teetering on the fence between the AC-6 and the T-6 @ Hobbypartz also. the T-6 has a cooling fan.
I ordered the Dynam Supermate DC6 DoublePower (AC/DC) and just received it. The double power model DOES come with a cooling fan.

So far so good. One case bolt was loose in the box, was striped in assembly. Other than that all looks good. Did a balance charge on a new 1000mah 3S pack. All went smooth up to 4.19 per cell then 2 cells got to 4.20 but the first cell held out at 4.19. Eventually cell #2 discharged to 4.19 and several minutes later the charger declare the pack full at 4.19/4.19/4.20 I'll have to check the timeout settings on the unit.

I will run & charge the pack a few times to see how things behave but basically the charger looks great and is very straight forward!

I am going to try and find a USB connector and see how the PC Monitoring Software works.

- John
Old 11-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #25
drsmooth

Cool

Well, I didn't get to try the DC6 this weekend. The track that I race at didn't race. So by the time I found out about it, there was no where else to go.
I did make a heavier battery cable to use instead of the 22awg that came with the charger.
Oh well, maybe next weekend.

till next time,,,,,

KEEP ON RACING!!!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers