Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Vintage and old timer models
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Vintage and old timer models Discuss nostalgic vintage aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #26
TFM70

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by Suncoaster View Post
1972 6 ch World Engines Blue Max with 4 servos, cost about $200 I think. My memory is a bit hazy on the cost. I have become a firm believer in the here after these days as I find myself somewhere and then think, what am I here after.

Dave
World Engines Blue Max here too in early 70's. Mine was a kit. I think about $165
Old 04-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #27
capn chaos
Super Contributor

Club: no pack-lone wolf
Friends: (20)

Cirrus 6 channel, bought used as part of a Sig Kadet beater package. 1979 I think it was. Sent the radio, rx and servos back to Hobby Shack on the west coast (pushing memory here) and flew that system for at least two years ( and many kadet rebuilds).
CC
Old 04-05-2010, 05:14 AM   #28
182 STOL Driver

Club: Grand Canyon Eagles
Default First RC ----

Lorenza 2 tube receiver on 27.255 mhz in Buccaneer "B" special with a Babcock escarpment(rudder only) and and O.&R .23 . Transmitter was a Carrier wave C.G. Electronics --- only worked occasionally at best .This was in late 1950's .
Lots of R/C radios in the past 1/2 century have gone thru my hands -F&M-Orbit- D&B- Lots of Kraft's- PCS -C&S -Micro Avionics- RS -World -
some JR's - presently Spectrum DX-7 . Pesent flight pack is about what
one Bonner Digitite servo would weigh.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:46 AM   #29
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by 182 STOL Driver View Post
Lorenza 2 tube receiver on 27.255 mhz in Buccaneer "B" special with a Babcock escarpment(rudder only) and and O.&R .23 . Transmitter was a Carrier wave C.G. Electronics --- only worked occasionally at best .This was in late 1950's .
Lots of R/C radios in the past 1/2 century have gone thru my hands -F&M-Orbit- D&B- Lots of Kraft's- PCS -C&S -Micro Avionics- RS -World -
some JR's - presently Spectrum DX-7 . Pesent flight pack is about what
one Bonner Digitite servo would weigh.
Microavionics, have not heard that name in a long while. I still got three of those Microavionics servos, that used the four pin connectors, and a split four cell battery pack. Vibration and those Microavionics servos did not get alone, parts would vibrate right off the circuit board on those servos, and you'd get a crash. I lost several airplanes because of that.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:50 AM   #30
ELECTROGLIDE

first radio?? tan case futaba 3 channel function
Old 04-08-2010, 03:39 AM   #31
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

View Lieutenant Loughead's Gallery35
Club: Flown 517 days in a row!
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (24)

Hitec Laser 4, and I still have it and USE it.

Owner of the UNCLUB flying site and hobby shop in Arcadia, OK.

AMA #930992
Old 04-08-2010, 03:47 AM   #32
Voltron

Friends: (2)

Futaba Attack 4 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:54 AM   #33
aeronca52

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Hitec Laser 4, and I still have it and USE it.

Are you kidding? That's my newest radio outfit!!
Old 04-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #34
KeninAZ

Friends: (1)

In the '70s when I first started out I had a Heathkit and then a Kraft radio.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #35
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Mine was a Cirrus radio system. It was in 1978. I am trying to remember how much it was. IIRC it was a 3 channel. Had a full size Rx and servos, and a buddy and I attempted to self teach ourselves on an Airtronics Q-Tee with an .049 engine on it.

It was an un-successful attempt. The largest piece left of the plane was the 4 cell airborne pack. We demolished it.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #36
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

View Lieutenant Loughead's Gallery35
Club: Flown 517 days in a row!
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
Are you kidding? That's my newest radio outfit!!
LOL -- no, I'm not kidding. I've purchased two radios since the Hitec Laser 4 -- a Hitec Optic 6, and a Spektrum DX7.

Owner of the UNCLUB flying site and hobby shop in Arcadia, OK.

AMA #930992
Old 04-25-2010, 03:18 AM   #37
hillbillynamedpossum
Rode the short bus

View hillbillynamedpossum's Gallery5
Club: Is under the seat
Friends: (8)

My first radio was my 4 channel futaba that I bought new a few years ago. I never could afford anything other than control line models until then. Wow the prices have really came down. My first plane was a cox .049 c/l that cost me about $40 in 1980's money. I used to drool all over my cousins planes but I knew I would have to grow up befor I could afford a r/c plane. I still havent grown up, but at least I can afford them

Possum

Founder, Chief Builder, Head Designer, an Lead Test Pilot of Possum Holler Aircraft Company. (A made up company that transforms styrofoam into packing peanuts, and balsa wood into toothpicks)
Old 05-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #38
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Club: Rhode Island Soaring Club
Friends: (14)
Default Blast from the past!

I found my old Futaba FP-2F 2 channel radio from when I was 14. I found it in my parents basement. It still works! I do need a spring for the steering wheel. I am going to see if the current cars (and boats) will accept the huge reciever and servos. This brings back memories, I still remember every little detail about it, even the smell!
VP

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Futaba FP-2F 002.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	127401
Click image for larger version

Name:	Futaba FP-2F 001.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	127402
Old 05-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #39
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

If I recall correctly, my first was an MRC 4-ch that we got in a package deal with a trainer. But this was way back in '81 and I was just a kid. Did not really get into the hobby back then.

Once I got back into it in Dec 2005 I got a JR XP8103, then upgraded to a JR XP9303. Both of which were converted to 2.4 using the XPS system.

Pat

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #40
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Club: Lorain County R/C Club
Friends: (5)

Late 1962, I spent my first paycheck from my first formal job to buy a Super Aerotrol kit from America's Hobby Center. About 19.95 plus shipping for a CW (Carrier Wave) MOPA (Master Oscillator, Power Amplifier) single tube transmitter, single tube reciever, and a very cheap escapement, on 27.255 MHz. Transmitter needed 90 Volt, 22.5 V, and 3 V batteries to work. Reciever needed 22.5 and 3 V batteries. The escapement, when the radio worked was the type that went from neutral, to one position, to neutral, to the second position, and to neutral with each push of the button. The flyer always needed to remember what the last rudder position was.

The transmitter must have worked. When I keyed it, if I had a hand too close to the antenna, I got a nasty shock. Never flew a plane with that set, or with a couple other recievers I built from parts and schematics. That came later in 1963.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #41
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Club: Renegade Air Force
Friends: (3)

I was going to report on mine from the early 80's but I knew there would be old timers that banged iron rocks together to create static pulses for their first radios.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:12 AM   #42
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Club: 114th RC Aerosquadron
Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via MSN to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
Friends: (1)

Futaba Attack 4 :o
Old 05-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #43
RacerPaul
No doors or fenders!

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

Heathkit, Kraft or MRC don't remember which came first, I do know my first RC plane was a Goldberg Falcon 56... first of many!

Former Formula Ford and F2000 Piloto

Thats my Dad and me in the avatar... he built mostly, I flew mostly... Miss You Dad!
Old 05-13-2010, 03:10 AM   #44
aeronca52

50+ Air Years- As a lad I remember flying with my Dad's 'ground loader" TX with the remote control box attached via cable. If the grass was damp and you handed the control box to someone else both would get a shock. We learned to throw the box the last inch to avoid that.

Mad Monkey-Attack 4-I still have 8 Attack electric receivers and used them frequently. (I quit counting how many Tx's I have) If you remember these rx's were for electric models and had a BEC built in within the rx case. Way ahead of their time. They went out of favour 'cause several magazine columnists thought the BEC idea was too far fetched to work and said so in their columns. And the mindless herds followed.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 AM   #45
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

View vax6335's Gallery12
Club: Fort Wayne Flying Circuits
Send a message via AIM to vax6335 Send a message via MSN to vax6335 Send a message via Yahoo to vax6335
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

And another for the Futaba Attack 4 here. Still have it somewhere.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:05 AM   #46
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

I still have a couple of those Attack 4 recievers. Great for 6 or 7 NiCad or NiMh cells. Main knock against them I ever read about was they were a low frequency throttle control at the time the more efficient high frequency ESCs were coming out. I'd like to use them on a couple EDFs, but they'd need at least 9.6 V for adequate thrust, and the internal regulator circuit can't handle much more than 8.4 V. Also have a couple Tower equivalents that I haven't tried yet.

One of the local HSs had an old WAG groud based tranny on display in their shop. Proprietor's father bought it in the late 40s. Huge. It originally used a vibrator power supply from a 12 V auto battery, and a large antenna that was separately stuck in the ground and connected by a coax cable. Reciever had to be retuned almost every other flight because of temperature drift. Sometimes so did the transmitter.

I built a "miniature" receiver to go with that Aerotrol tranny. Used a 1AG4 miniature tube for a detector and an RK-61 gas tube for the final stage. It was fun watching the RK glow purple when I'd key the transmitter, but I could never get it to shut off except by shutting off power. Electronics in those days was interesting, challenging, and fun, especially when you could actually get something to work. Now it's almost boring, everything works so easy. Not that I mind.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:22 AM   #47
aeronca52

Electronics in those days was interesting, challenging, and fun...

Especially if you remembered just after launching you forgot to rewind the escapement rubber!
Old 05-13-2010, 04:43 AM   #48
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Ah, yes. Lost several good planes to flyaways that way, that and overwinding. Seems that if the escapement rubber was overwound, occasionally I'd get a situation with the escapement operating normally while holding the plane, but when launched, the escapement would lock up. Not good! The early Royal single channel servos were an improvement, as long as the relay was properly adjusted.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:50 AM   #49
aeronca52

but when launched, the escapement would lock up

We also had that problem sometimes. Used to blame the engine resonance through the airframe. Seemed to be as good an excuse as any other.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:27 AM   #50
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Actually had a similar problem with a Futaba 4 ch about 20 years ago, at least a similar effect. Ground check with engine off or running was perfect. No problem with range while taxiing. Soon as the plane was airborn, without ground contact or someone holding the plane to damp vibration, the plane would lock into the first control sequence recieved on leaving the ground, usually up elevator and full throttle, straight rudder. Turned out the split sockets for the crystal mount loosened up, leting the pins vibrate when the plane was airborn. Took me a couple days to figure it out. A little manipulation with a T pin corrected the problem.

Also remember how my first multi-channel proportional, a $350.00 1966 Control-aire 5 channel on 27.045 was so sensitive to metal to metal contact, even having the LG too loose caused rubbing problems from the mounting screws rubbing the aluminum or piano wire strut. Couldn't use metal wheel hubs. Or let the throttle push rod touch the engine crankcase. And the reciever and servos were metal cased. Reciever, 4 servos, and 5 cell battery weighed at least 28 ounces. Bit heavy for today's micro fliers, like my little 16" span P-51 park flyer.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Vintage and old timer models