Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Vintage and old timer models
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Vintage and old timer models Discuss nostalgic vintage aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #76
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Club: Rhode Island Soaring Club
Friends: (14)

Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
Some earlier tubes were mounted in regular tube sockets. Later, some small glass envelope pinless tubes were developed such as the 1AG4 and the RK-61 gas tube that had fine wires comming out through the envelope. Some of these came with a warning about not touching the leads with the hands because skin oils could work their way through the glass/wire interface and interfere with the correct tube operation.

These tube type receivers were usually powered with a 3 Volt battery for the filament (heater) and one or two 22.5 Volt batteries for the plate. These usually drove a relay, so you also needed another 3 Volt battery to operate the escapement or early servo. If you were really masochistic, and played with pulse proportional, you might have 2 three Volt bateries to drive a motorised servo back and forth from the relay. A frequent operation at the field was tuning the receiver, since the tubes tended to drift with temperature. You also had to watch the position of the receiver in the plane, because engine vibration could affect the receiver and relay.

Tube type Transmitters could have as much as 135Volts for the plate and another extra 3 to 6 volts for a bias Voltage. Going to transistors eliminated a lot of batteries, and also reduced the mathematics for circuit design.

Here's a sample of some tube circuits from 1955. High tech stuff then.
Thanks for the fascinating information, I love looking at old publications like that. Is there a way you could send me enlarged copies? I couldnt read them.
VP

P.S. I am a treehugger, just not when my plane is in one!
Old 11-18-2010, 05:32 AM   #77
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Club: Lorain County R/C Club
Friends: (5)

Try this link: http://www.rchangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24523&goto=newpost The copy shows up slightly larger on screen, plus if you right click on one of the files, you get a larger view that can be enlarged. They're from the same files I sent here, the same 103K size.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #78
northiceman
Vintage Flyer

Club: Stetson Flyers/Jacksonville Radio Control
Friends: (0)
Default Vintage radio

Hi,
Saw your past conversation about vintage radio gear and I am hoping you can help - I have an old Citizen-Ship Model PLR - 27 receiver. I need the instructions /and/or help to get it connected with batteries and antenna properly. Do you have any info to help?
Its about 1958 production receiver - has one tube (a GE 3V4) and one relay. I believe the voltages need to be 1.4 (1.5) volts for the filaments and 90 volts for the plate (got this from the specs for the tube). No wires on it at all - only 5 copper clips on ends of the board to connect the batteries (2 at the tube end and 3 at the other end).
Thanks ~Ron
Old 03-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #79
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Originally Posted by northiceman View Post
Hi,
Saw your past conversation about vintage radio gear and I am hoping you can help - I have an old Citizen-Ship Model PLR - 27 receiver. I need the instructions /and/or help to get it connected with batteries and antenna properly. Do you have any info to help?
Its about 1958 production receiver - has one tube (a GE 3V4) and one relay. I believe the voltages need to be 1.4 (1.5) volts for the filaments and 90 volts for the plate (got this from the specs for the tube). No wires on it at all - only 5 copper clips on ends of the board to connect the batteries (2 at the tube end and 3 at the other end).
Thanks ~Ron

Welcome to Wattflyer Ron,

Check this guy out, he says he has instructions included. The person that bought it now has those.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_48...tm.htm#5791942

If the buyer of the set has the instructions, you could get lucky!

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 03-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #80
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

I did a little research on the 3V4, and the spec'ed filament (heater) Voltage is 1.4 to 2.8 V. Maximum plate Voltage is listed as 90 V, and I did find an AM broadcast band reciever schematic that showed a 45 V plate battery, but from what I remember of that era, 22.5V was a bit more normal, although some tube type rcvrs did use 45V.

Usually, if you can trace the wiring, the antenna would go to one end of the tuning coil. The negatives for all the battery packs were common. In my post #75, the figure A on one of the attached MAN pages could give a hint on how the connections were made, that might be a little help, if you can't find an instruction sheet.

Sadly, last year, I had to clean up my attic, and I kind of had to pick and choose among over a dozen boxes of photocopies of articles made over the years, and I did scan many pages, but threw out many more pages of some of this older stuff without scanning. Filled up over 20 recycle bags with paper. I threw out some very old stuff, and I regret it now. Even had some 1930ish stuff by Chet Lanzo, all gone now.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #81
jungmann1
electron deficient

Friends: (1)

My first radio was an Aerosport 2 channel, mail ordered from Hobby Shack in California. I grew up in a little fishing community in Alaska. Nearest hobby shop was in Anchorage and we rarely got up there. This was in 1975, I believe. The Aerosports were great radios, built by Futaba I think. I think it was right around $110.00
Old 03-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #82
intimidator_md
Just call me "crash"

View intimidator_md's Gallery3

Good Lord I feel privileged. My first radio was a Futaba Attack SR 2 channel AM for a Lanier Indicator powered by a cox killer bee .049 circa 1997??? But then again many of you guys have me beat in age as well......I grew up with synthesized digital computer radios right in my hands I can't even imagine using some of those radios from the '50s or '60s like you guys had too.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #83
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

Does it have to be from the vacuum tube/transistor days to qualify for this thread, or does the 27 MHz 3 Ch. A.M. radio that came with my AeroBird-3 count? Damn thing was glitchy as #ell, don't know if it was the TX or the RX (the only CB'ers anymore are truckers on the interstate, 40 miles away).

Currently using a HiTec Flash 5X w/Berg MS4 Reciever. No problems what-so-ever (at least none stemming from the electronics )

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #84
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
My first radios were home made by my dad around 1958.
Without much outside help, we managed to learn to fly with equipment that failed quite often.

The planes usually didn't crash, but they did routinely fly away.
Those were the good ol days PD1.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #85
SteveM

My very first R/C system was an OS Guppy 2-CH rig. It was a teal green colour and the rudder was actuated by a pendulum type gizmo on the front with the second control on the side of the case. On 27mHz AM band and I ran that in a Dumas Swamp Buggy with a Cox .049 for a year. Worked great.

SRM on RCGroups
Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #86
wthall

my first was I think (Orbits) push button escapment. The escapment was just an electro magnet....You had to have a rubber band wound up and attached to make the thing work. ONe push left, next push right. But it did work...flew it in a free flight my dad converted to rudder only. The only thing you had to remember was to wind the rubber.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #87
WingingIt74

Friends: (2)

Is it me or have prices not changed much over the years? I was looking at a few of my 70s and 80s RC magazines and prices really haven't changed much. An ARF then still costs you ~$200.

-Travis "aka" CLSSY56

Winging It! with Travis & Jeremy
On FaceBook & YouTube
Old 05-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #88
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

In the 60's a Space Control proportional radio cost $500.
Minimum wage was a dollar an hour.
For $1 you could buy 2 hamburgers, 2 french fries and a large drink and get change from McDonald's.
Or 4 or 5 gallons of gas.
20 full sized candy bars or 10 Cokes.

$500 was a lot of money back then, things cost a lot less now.

Paul
Old 05-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #89
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)
Talking

Originally Posted by CLSSY56 View Post
Is it me or have prices not changed much over the years? I was looking at a few of my 70s and 80s RC magazines and prices really haven't changed much. An ARF then still costs you ~$200.

Guess the price may have stayed the same, more or less. But most folks are making much more money than they did 30 or 40 years ago.

FYI, my first 4 channel radio (Microavionics) cost me 4 months rent, and was USED. Still got several servos from that piece of junk, at least compared to whats available now days. My DX7 system cost about a week and a halfs rent, in todays dollars. (Your results may vary, I've not rented in 40 years! ) Before that I had a "galloping ghost" radio, with a home made transmitter and actually got it to work.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #90
WingingIt74

I was just making a general observation, as the price of cars and gas has increased.

-Travis "aka" CLSSY56

Winging It! with Travis & Jeremy
On FaceBook & YouTube
Old 05-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #91
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by CLSSY56 View Post
I was just making a general observation, as the price of cars and gas has increased.
Good point! By several times.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #92
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

I can identify with WTHALL's comment about escapement rubber. I frequently forgot to wind mine after every couple flights, or overwound it. When overwound, the escapement would often function perfectly while the plane was being held, with your body absorbing much of the vibration, but would lock up about the time you let go, and the damping was gone. Results were pretty much the same, buy a new receiver, escapement, and build a new plane. Had far less trouble when I got my first Royal single channel servo, although the reciever relay had to be readjusted for the different timing characteristics. It worked beautifully with servo, but couldn't work the escapements reliably. At least I no longer had to worry about the rubber band, and could go back to using my store of strip for FF.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:27 AM   #93
E-Challenged

Slightly off topic but I built a "walkie talkie" style AM radio in the 50's by adapting the two tube circuit from this "man from mars" radio hat. The radio was in a small ply box with an earphone mounted on the front and a home made whip antenna. I used to save my allowance money as a kid to by GE 2N107 transistors and build more small AM radios.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-Radio_Electronics_Cover_June_1949.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	154011
Old 10-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #94
cheshireflyer

Default First radio was

Mcgregor Codamac single channel TX and relay receiver.
This had a stick which gave the correct number of commands for full left or full right rudder. Other sets had a push button to send pulses.
Pres and hold was left - press release press and hold was right.
What men they were to fly that.

My simple version was installed in a keilKraft Super 60 with an AM 3.5cc diesel up front. All this was in about 1969.

It flew in large circuits and was Radio adjusted really. What a feeling that was - Me flying a model aircraft.!!

Peter
From S. Cheshire
England
Old 10-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #95
cheshireflyer

Default It was fun though

Originally Posted by intimidator_md View Post
Good Lord I feel privileged. My first radio was a Futaba Attack SR 2 channel AM for a Lanier Indicator powered by a cox killer bee .049 circa 1997??? But then again many of you guys have me beat in age as well......I grew up with synthesized digital computer radios right in my hands I can't even imagine using some of those radios from the '50s or '60s like you guys had too.
To us ita really modern stuff of course. A couple of lights and taking a complete model home was rare but a feeling never forgotten to this day.
Same went for control line models and free flight.

Pete

Peter
From S. Cheshire
England
Old 10-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #96
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Club: SMAC

Heath Kit that my Dad and I put together. (More him than me) Dang, now my whole radio system weighs less than the Heath Kit servos. I put the radio in a Sterling 36" Corsair with an, I think Tiapan .09, that my Uncle brought home from Viet Nam. That plane would never even attempt to get airborne, but it did teach me how to taxi a taildragger.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #97
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Club: SMAC

Originally Posted by PDARR View Post
First off my first radio was bought in 1973 when I came home from Nam. A World Engines Blue Max semi kit. I flew that baby for about a year or so then I purchased a Cirrus 6. But I remember going with my dad when he flew control line speed and jets, then my grandfather when he flew R/C and it took two people to carry the transmitter from the car. I still have my grandfathers AMA number (250). He knew personally all the guys that made or hobby, electronically, what it is today. I saw many many fly aways when I was a kid. Tried to run them down but my legs even at that age couldn't go fast enough. We have a great hobby fellas, weather it is expensive or not.
The same with me. My uncle Jim was into R/C hot & heavy in the 50's -70's in Tampa Florida. His name was Jim Carpenter.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #98
degreen60
Flying Fish

Send a message via ICQ to degreen60 Send a message via Yahoo to degreen60
Friends: (9)

Bought a single channel, carrier control CitizenShip tube transmitter and tube receiver in 1961. Had it in a Beaver.

Now for my last stunt, a forward flip on landing.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #99
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Club: Mile High Club
Friends: (3)

My first tubeless radio...

Futaba 4 channel. Still have the servos! I used this one to fly the Famous Hobie Hawk sailplane.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	futaba 4.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	157466 Futaba (photo from ebay)
Old 02-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #100
pyroarch57

Here`s my first radio. It was a nightmare to use, especially when you`re teaching yourself to fly

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Vintage and old timer models