Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > Heads UP RC discussion
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Heads UP RC discussion Heads up RC discussion and support. Monitored by Heads UP RC.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
all_up_in_the_air
HeadsUp RC.com

Friends: (4)
Default Tower Pro Mag 8 ESC - setting throttle range

On some Tower Pro Mag 8 ESCs, you will hear a continuous rapid beeping the first time that you hook them up, and the motor will not respond to the throttle control of your transmitter. The manual states that you must set the throttle range, but it is not clear on how to do that.
Setting the throttle range is very easy to do with your transmitter:
1. Connect the ESC to a motor and receiver. DO NOT connect a battery yet.
2. Turn on your transmitter. Move the throttle stick to the full power position (all the way up).
3. Connect the ESC to a battery. You will hear a tone and two beeps. Immediately after the two beeps, move the throttle stick to the off position.
4. Disconnect the battery from the ESC. Now the ESC is ready to use with your transmitter.

I hope this is helpful, even if you have not purchased your ESC from us

Old 02-15-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (7)

Jeff,

I have a Mag 8 18 Amp ESC I bought from you. I have not flown with it yet, but I did some power up testing and initially the ESC was not happy. I don't remember if it was beeping or not. It finally allowed to motor to arm after I set the throttle trim all the way down. Maybe I just learned a bad throttle range.

Does the ESC always learn the throttle range by plugging into the battery while the radio throttle is set to full power? Even if it learned something before? I hope so. The ESC is actually going to be used with a different radio and receiver that the one I have used on it so far.

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 02-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
all_up_in_the_air
HeadsUp RC.com

Originally Posted by Stevephoon View Post
Jeff,

I have a Mag 8 18 Amp ESC I bought from you. I have not flown with it yet, but I did some power up testing and initially the ESC was not happy. I don't remember if it was beeping or not. It finally allowed to motor to arm after I set the throttle trim all the way down. Maybe I just learned a bad throttle range.

Does the ESC always learn the throttle range by plugging into the battery while the radio throttle is set to full power? Even if it learned something before? I hope so. The ESC is actually going to be used with a different radio and receiver that the one I have used on it so far.

Steve
The throttle range can be re-set anytime by following the directions that I provided at the beginning of this thread. It's best to re-set the throttle range whenever you use a different transmitter.

Best regards,

Old 02-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
dirt4dinner
Which way is it going?

Club: AZ-RC Freaks

Thanks again Jeff for clearing this up!

The motor/ esc combo was the ticket for my Delta Wing! Your new improved instructions are a sinch and I was able to get it working on the first try! Thanks.

*AB3 - Maiden Dec. 23, 09 *Parkzone T-28 Trojan - Maiden Feb. 07, 2010 *Scratch Delta Wing - Maiden Feb. 12, 2010 * The Nasty - Maiden March 5, 2010 *Sky Surfer Dude - Maiden March 13, 2010 *Steven's Aero sQuirt 700
Old 02-16-2010, 01:29 AM   #5
Stevephoon

Thanks Jeff, that's what I wanted to hear. Are the complete ESC instructions available on your web site? I couldn't find any. The ones that came with the ESC are good, just missing the throttle learn stuff. I always like to keep a complete set of instructions filed away. The winters are too long up here in MI and then I forget everything!

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:34 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,115 Times in 2,025 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

http://www.ozrcflying.com/2007/04/to...ogramming.html

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/..._18-20-ESC.pdf

http://towerprocn.sh15.host.35.com/t...ocn/index.html

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...54#post6747271

keep up the great Work Jeff Take care and Have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Stevephoon

Thanks, Chellie!

I'm not sure why I didn't think to goto the TowerPro site for the ESC instructions. I always like printed instructions to take with me while flying. (Just in case of the Brain Fades! )

Steve

Growing the fleet!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > Heads UP RC discussion