Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
BlinkguY

Friends: (0)
Default Better battery upgrade for a stock Super Cub LP

I just want to know guys wich battery pack is a great upgrade for my stock SC LP. Im not upgrading anything else, just the battery pack.

I just got 1 hour wasted looking over google, to find another battery, my original one got swollen just like there is liquid inside and does not charge anymore after just a little bit more of 12 recharge cycles. i dont know what did a do wrong, maybe it was because i spend like 3-4 min with full power climbing as high as i could just to see high would it go. but it worked like 1 or 2 times before i lost my battery so i dont think it got damaged because of that, but i would like to have some advise on that too so it wont happen again.

Anyways, i dont wanna waste around $ 40+ in a new battery, unless its for a better one, or theres no any other better battery out there.

if i can get it for a cheap price i can get 2 more.

thanks a lot guys, you have friend right here in the dominican republic!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
nbroers

Hi,

These ones should fit the stock battery holder on the Hobbyzone SC:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._25C_Lipo_Pack

And they're nice and cheap!

I find the other brands tend to make the batteries longer, so they don't fit well in the SC. The turnigy's are shorter, so they fit perfectly.

Whether or not they're better than the stock battery, I can't tell you.

But I have about 5 of them and they're not bad at all.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
nbroers

Oh, and you might have just gotten a bad battery.

Mine came with a bad one, the one cell's voltage had dropped too low during storage so it didn't want to charge with the hobbyzone charger. The hobby shop replaced it for free.

Not sure what those stock batteries are rated at, so hard to tell if a few minutes at full throttle will damage it.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:18 AM   #4
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Welcome to the group.

Which prop are you using? The older 10x8 is still recommended for floats but really is too much for the motor/ESC package. Full throttle on that battery like you were doing is likely the cause of it puffing up. It probably does not have the discharge rating to sustain that. That is the C-rating you see referred to.

Also be aware although the SC has a battery protection mechanism called Low Voltage Cut-Off it is not very good for the battery and will over discharge the lipo. Lipos do NOT like over discharge and can become damaged. When the battery starts getting weak as indicated by dropping performance it's best time to quit and recharge. Get several batteries so you can fly while others charge.

Lots of people get larger lipos, like 1500-2200. These will fly longer and take more full throttle 'abuse' being larger. You need to cut the top out of the battery box and mount the larger lipo vertical against the front foam and stick with velcro. This allows the balance point to stay the same. Move the black box to the side and stick with velcro out of the way.
Larger batteries will take longer to charge.

Consider checking out this group for lots of specific info on the Cub.
Super Cub Club

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
BlinkguY

thanks a lot, im using the stock one, 9x6 think so.

thank you both for your responses, one more thing. the ones that comes with the super cub lp are 20c, is it rigth to run a 25c on it.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
nbroers

If the stock battery is rated for 20C then it shouldn't have been a problem with the stock prop (provided the manufacturer isn't bumping up the specs).

20C on a 1300mah battery means a maximum discharge rate of 26amps peak (for a few seconds). I think the stock cub motor draws around 15-18 amps if I remember correctly, so shouldn't be an issue.

Any battery with a higher C rating will be fine (or better). Just remember, some batteries with a higher C rating are also a little heavier and a little bigger. Like Flydiver said, larger batteries will require a battery box modification. This is quite an easy mod and even with the stock battery size, it will make it easier to install the battery at the flying field.

But if you don't feel like the effort, get the Turnigy's.

By the way, Super cub club forums rule
Old 04-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

A good rule of lipo longevity is to reduce the specs by 20% and then leave 20% capacity in the lipo at the end of flight.

As stated above the discharge capacity should be 1.3A x 20C > 26A.
26A less 20% > 20A.

25C just gives you better discharge capacity. But it may also allow the motor to run stronger since it can sustain a better load. I have both the stock and the Turnigy battery. My plane is definitely peppier with the Turnigy. Since the motor is already taxed to it's limit it may burn out faster.

Larger batteries weigh more, increase flight time (bigger tank) but degrade performance since they weigh more. It's always a compromise.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions