Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aircraft Reviews Member based Reviews on ARF's and Kits Open for Business!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
Red Square Models Yak-12 EP
Red Square Models Yak-12 EP
Carl Phillips
Published by n001pa
06-12-2010
Default Introduction

Introduction

Lately, there have been many unique ARFs showing up on the internet. Unfortunately, due to either bad quality or poor customer service and long shipping delays, many of these low cost planes leave a lot to be desired. One company that recently started selling to the US is Pilotage-RC. Pilotage has been a leader in the RC industry within Eastern Europe for more than six years. With the opening of their new internet store, pilots around the world can get a chance to see how good Russian engineering can be when it comes to RC. Pilotage has many unique and rarely modeled aircraft marketed under the name Red Square Models. One such plane that really caught my eye was the Yak-12. The prototype first flew in 1947 and has seen many duties. It has been called the “Cessna” of Russia. Many young Russian pilots learned to fly in a Yak-12. The design has also seen use as a glider tow, air ambulance, agricultural plane, and liaison/artillery spotter plane for the Soviet Air Force.

Buy it! You Know You Want To!

I was on the look-out for a nice bush plane that could handle less than ideal runways. The Piper PA-18 is arguably the most popular bush plane in the world but I wanted something different. I looked through the many low cost ARFs that are out there and, when I saw the Yak-12, I knew I had found my next project. Shipping from their Hong Kong based warehouse can be a bit high but, when I factored in the cost of the plane at only $70, it only came out to $100 shipped. Many ARFs cost much more than that. I placed my order along with an order for some lights and a set of tundra tires at HobbyKing (also based in Hong Kong) at the same time and then sat back and waited for the long delays in shipping everyone seems to experience when buying from China. Four days later I received a real surprise in the form of a plain brown box, a full two weeks before the lights and tires showed up from HobbyKing. I had read other reviews online for the Red Square IL-2 and was looking forward to seeing how well the Yak was packaged. While it did not have the funky green wrapping paper that those with the IL-2 have reported (I have to admit, I was kind of looking forward to “unwrapping” it), it survived it’s long trip to Kansas without a scratch.

[CENTER]
Contents

Specifications
Wingspan: 42" / 1065mm Overall Length: 28.3" / 720mm Wing Area: 257.25" Flying Weight: 20-21oz / 570-600gr
Equipment Used:
Motor: MileHighRC 28-30 1290Kv BL Outrunner Speed Control: Hobbywing Pentium 25A Servos: Hitec HS-55 Battery: Parkzone 3S 1300 mAh
Retail Price:
$70
Manufacturer
Red Square Models

Author review
Kit Instructions:
80%80%80%
Materials & Packaging:
90%90%90%
Ease of Build & Finish:
90%90%90%
Design & Appearance:
100%100%100%
General Flight Characteristics:
100%100%100%
Performance Capabilities:
90%90%90%
Average 92%

Member rating

There are no ratings to display

Experience Level Advised
Experience Level Advised
Intermediate

References
Pilotage RC, www.pilotage-rc.com
MileHighRC, www.milehighrc.com
Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-12

Review Tools
Show Printable Version  Email this Page 
<< <    Next Page: Out of the Box (Page 1 of 5 )    >  >>
Old 06-16-2010, 05:39 AM
Procrastinate Now!

Finally got some clear weather to fly againn tonight. First flight with the tail wheel, struts, and all the extra colors. As I was affraid,the castering tail wheel made ground handling nearly impossible. I am now goint to redo it with a steerable wheel. Ishould have done that in the first place but I was working with what I had at hand. I also lost one of the struts. I guess the magnets weren't strong enough. I really didn't think they would last. I'll make up some more an come up with a better way of attaching them. The interesting thing is that, on my first flight of the night, I had a serious problem triming it again. I had full aileron and about half rudder trim. When I brought it down low was when I noticed that I had lost the strut. My brother pointed out that I had it trimmed to direction that was mising the strut and that maybe it was drag. I couldn't believe that the strut could possibly be causing that much drag but I landed it anyway to check it out and make sure I didn't have a stuck aileron or something. Everything looked okay so I pulled the strut off and gave it another toss. Flew great then! I guess the strut was the cause.

I also found one more thing that needs addressed during construction. While I thought the landing gear were plenty tight enough and didn't need the shim that was missing in my kit, my last landing of the night proved me wrong. I was landing in tall grass and came in a little too hot. The plane came to a pretty violent stop. The landing gear popped right out and will not stay anymore. Some epoxy in the gear slot will fix it right up. Unfortunately, I also broke the motor shaft so I am going to have to wate for a replacement shaft from Mile High.

Got a few photos and a very short video of a hand launch. They are not great because it was getting pretty late but the lights look perfect. I think I will now be adding flaps to help it slow down during landings. Mine is a little too heavy and I think the flaps will help it. I also can't stress enough how much it needs coorordinated rudder input during turns. I think this is my favorite thing about this plane. It will make me a better pilot.

Still happy though because it looks great in the air.

The video can be found here.

Live Today
Old 11-29-2013, 12:30 AM

Cool plane! Looks great in the air. I thank you for posting because I may never have considered this one, otherwise.

I wish I was as eloquent as the above poster, but not everyone can be so poetic. Michael Kors Outlet Store will never get any of my business.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:39 AM
Why not.. hold my tea!

Excellent review! Thanks for sharing.

Frank
Old 01-30-2014, 09:02 PM

Default Yak 12 ep

How do you order this model? I can't seem to find the website. It really looks like a winner and I may order one.
Thanks for a great review.
Dick
Old 01-30-2014, 09:58 PM
Community Moderator

Here's a link to where the model may be purchased, but since they are in Europe, I'm not sure how far they would ship.

http://kulbit.lv/index.php?id_produc...duct&id_lang=1
Old 01-31-2014, 03:19 PM
Super Contributor

I Red Sq Models is no more ... they were heavy suppliers to PILOTAGE ... who is now bankrupt over here.

Nigel
222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Comment

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews

« Previous Review | Next Review »