Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)
Default New Parkzone Extra 300 Its Here, Newbie Report

At last the Parkzone 300 Extra is instock, ordered mine immediately and two day delivery ! Received intact, the typical Parkzone snap together, other companys could pay heed here, as Parkzone leads the pack for fast in the air assembly, gotta love it !

I'm far from a 3D pilot so your not getting the skilled flyers report. However was pleased it handled rather conventionally on the maiden flight. I failed to check the rudder and on taxi quickly realized reverse rudder was in order. I even used the lowly DX5I transmitter, easy on the touch and it will fly with this one ! Much better with the DX6 or DX7 am sure, but nice to know the low entry transmitter will fly for you.

If I have a low skill its always the landing, fortunately did several low passes getting the feel for touchdown, with its skirts not likely to make the grass landing as I'm more comfortable, but plenty of passes, it deadsticks well, nice floater, but can drop quickly with over control easy to do with the DX5, so after more trys last got better touch and it came right in mostly without power keeping that nose down slightly, it likes to nose up at least for my limited skills. Touchdown slightest skid but pleased for my maiden indeed !

My suprise back to its in the air coventional flying, just over half throttle it still has slightest speed but very docile, wanted to rise, need perhaps slight downtrim my next flights, as had it set level on all the surfaces and I suggest that. Only flew for just over 6 minutes or so and kept practicing on the deadstick pass for landing, but it has some authority even at mid range and touch of throttle the aileron roll was smooth, not the snappy one as on the present videos as I tried to go easy on the stick.

My canopy fogged up, as rain during our evening storms, flew at near sunrise with well below 10 MPH winds.

If your efficient on aileron ships, should have little issue with this beautiful entry, its responsive, so go easy and your in for some fun...I'm amazed I pulled it off ! Still ecstatic and hopefully loads of flying ahead....Nice Job Parkzone, thumbs up ! I'm smiling ! Hah !

Past plane favorites:
Super Cub, later night flights
Radian increadible glider
Stryker B, not the faster C
Thunderbat Jet pusher
Eflites Alpha 450 balsa
Old 06-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

We do have a rather accomplished 3D flyer in our small group, perhaps later will see how it handles for him and add his opinion on its 3D behavior...

This puppie looks cool and even flown modestly is simply a hoot in the air, they have introduced another great model !
Old 06-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

View smokejohnson's Gallery22
Club: Independent
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (108)

Thanks for the report PM. If you could get your buddies input on 3D that would be cool but I'm not sure how well it will do without max throws and expo dialed in. I really like the way it looks.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Yes, its going to need some max throws for the 3D flyer, but still a handful of fun !

Its looks are another asset with this one, like a pylon racer, gets your attention...sure more reports will be coming in, it does have decent low speed handling, and am very happy on that ! Now have to be patient on upcoming weather for the next outings...BEST ..<>..
Old 06-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

My handling on first 3 flights todate, suprised it takes off rather well from pavement, expected slight delema as this is a tail dragger, but so far tracks true and right up with ease. Gave it slight throttle and this puppie responds immediate, it was zooming around rather quickly but still easy to follow with its bright color scheme. Did an aileron roll with some touch of throttle didn't expect an outside loop ! Abit of authority going on here indeed. On deadstick landings it behaves nicely but you do have to pay attention and keep things flying, normal indeed, was getting abit low near my 2nd landing and I incorrectly let the nose come up too far and she simply dropped forward but found it very durable only left some slight black pavement marks on the skid, expected some damage but was otherwise intact. Dummy, keep things flying please ! Third flight very brief as wanted to improve the landing, simply kept it flying and watched the nose and nearly skimmed in on the money, slightest bounce but landed correctly this time, taxied it back home, again it tracks beautifully on the pavement, nice. Conditions were great towards early evening and we all had exceptional low breezes, fantastic ! Friend has a neat Eflite PT19 and it likes to missbehave on the takeoff and a great looking Dehavaland Beaver, scout like looking plane, slight tweak on its tail as well, but again this is to me rather normal for tail draggers. On my few flights the 300 again fails to have this issue. Pleased ! BEST...<>...

Pssst, my friend lands silky smooth 99 percent of the time, grass or pavement, I'm jealous, Hah !
Old 06-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Before work two more flights very early this morning moments ago near sunrise, trying to beat the rains to arrive thru the day. Different location vacant school parking lot as close by, loads of contruction but some length between the spaced basketball hoops. Took off great again and normal flying even slight held inverted but low light was cautious. Landing was near decent, this one glides quite aways even deadstick, again just keep that nose from rising too much and drop if needed airspeed, came in great and was to go home, but time left so out to our more prized area with longer landing areas.

This time opened the throttle for the first time only over 2/3rds, zing away she goes, but easy handling even with the DX5I but you must be soft on the sticks even at low throws. Flown many models with the DX5I and so far a breeze for me. You will do alot better with variable settings with the DX6 or DX7 tho. Still nice to know it works here. Did another brief inverted, and loads of aileron rolls, neat as minimal downstick while inverted if any at all depending on your attack angle into the breeze etc and throttle setting. Use to the trainer requiring some downstick while inverted, not needed with this puppie, easy does it or your into an overpowered outside loop, tho rather cool as well, HAH ! I'm not the skilled achrobat flyer yet, but can see immediately this one will do it quite well. Tho sure it has some 3D in it, am currently enjoying it coventional handling. Its response is again immediate, very effective model here, they did the homework on this puppie !

Taking a closer look at the tail wheel it does slant quite aways to the rear, perhaps this is some of the secret on its nice ground handling, yet to have anything near a ground loop during take offs even tho its a tail dragger.

Got this one from Hobbyzone, they did offer an extra battery at around $17, not a bad deal, tho noticed it was 2100 rated instead of the received stock battery at 2200. No real complaints tho even tho it is slightly smaller still fits well in the battery recessed compartment fine. I use a small amount of packing to keep the battery inplace tho currently not into attempting any snap rolls... The compact front wheels fit snugly into the fuselage and so far holding nicely, I failed to put on the outside flanges to cover the wire wheels, as incase any horrible landing want minimal damages, perhaps will later bolt these in with improved flying... This ones a winner, your going to like it. Wow !!!

Pssst the replacement parts are rather inexpensive, not pricy as some other models..
Old 06-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

With only a half dozen flights features enjoyed so far:

1. Terrific handling on ground take offs tho a tail dragger, still amazed on that !
2. Looks are another key feature, you know right away this puppie means buisness !
3. Tho responsive with the DX5I is well within handling range if your accustom to soft touch, its very solid in the air, another suprise !
4. The front wheels are compact, will take some beating if needed.
5. So far flys like a dream, quite an advancement from my past models, a treat to fly!

You may want to remove the skirts if your into more rougher landing area, but it does give that cool look.

I might change to larger wheels as love grass landings, but its design has held up to my abuse so far very well. Maybe this model will improve my much needed landing skills, hah...

I have absolutely no complaints on this one, all stars !

Caution this is defintely not a beginner ship, its too advanced for the raw newbie, but if you harnessed your skill on ailerons and perhaps a few warbirds, check this one out, fasten your seatbelt, your in for a ride !
Old 06-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Wish to expand on its deadstick handling, fly sailplanes abit so enjoy motorless landings...

On last landing had plenty of room so took it out aways and deleted the throttle on the turn, tho low abit still wants to glide quite aways, so even zig zagged avoiding the small trees on each side of the glide path, still was near head high on its arrival but had this lengthy paved space, straightened it and last dropped carefully keeping some airspeed and watching the nose keeping it level, skidded very slightly on touchdown rather a smooth landing for me and turned it on the narrow path and easily taxied back. This ones a treat to land. Takes alot to drop a wing as it drops forward instead, nice ! So far absolutely no bad handling habits. Just may have some 3D in it will leave that for someone in that department, but as an aerobatic flyer, its off the charts, least for me. Stunning model here ! I can't believe it, a super ship ! At a modest price, your getting your moneys worth on this one ! I'm more than happy..<>..
Old 06-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
Raydee

Friends: (0)

Well this in my first real plane, the only other plane I have ever flown is a Unicorn flying wing. I maidened my Extra 300 the other day for the first time. I am using a DX7 radio and turned the Dual rates down to 60% and had the EXPO on 40%. Take off from a baseball diamond was easy, I found that the plane needed some down trim but it seemed to fly pretty nice. I did do one roll but it was mushy with my rates turned down so low. I have NEVER landed a plane with wheels before so I was a bit nervous. I def didn't do a perfect landing but its still in one peice.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Great job, your skills are up several notches flying the 300, one of our flyers has the Unicorn Wing, now needs work, but its defintely not a slow flyer by any means, its not an easy puppie to fly, never did make any flights with his, was going to give me the controls and pulled away saying wait a minute its upside down ! His was rather speedy...

Find the low rates on the DX5I not too bad, as use to this transmitter tho it could use less response on maiden.

Attempted to land my 300 on an infield, way to small for me at the moment as kept overshooting, finally landed in the adjacent street. Take off also was no big deal on the infield, went right up with touch of throttle...some authority throttle and it will go right up like a rocket....be awhile before I can fly it in confined spaces...

Keep us posted on the venture, its a hoot so far...BEST ..<>..

Note just checked your video, nice smooth flight, it shows this one can fly slow as well with decent handling, not really all that bad of landing in the grass, could use larger wheels for that...

I kept doing aileron rolls on my later flights, its a treat...Tnx for the video ! Nice !
Old 06-21-2010, 01:50 AM   #11
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

I need one of these...LOL

I totally Dig the Color Scheme, and It looks like a good flyer...

SK

Ministeve's videos
http://www.vimeo.com/user483596/videos
Ministeve's Photo Page at Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30153396@N06/
Old 06-21-2010, 03:06 AM   #12
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Gang - I can tell you the Horizon/Parkzone crew are NOT touting this as a 3D model.

Check here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=14

If that is what you want - there are likely MUCH better choices. I suspect this is an excellent sport/aerobatic plane however.

I can't wait to try it....
Old 06-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Tho I'm not a 3D flyer as yet, have to agree this one isn't strong here, but is a youtube video of a 3D flyer putting it thru its paces, to me looking at it the surfaces lack example from the popular Typhoon and flown this one as well, Typhoon is a better 3D ship, but this one wins on handling and defintely aerobatics its going to be tuff to beat, marvelous. Some speed here for the venterous will keep them smiling.

Flew this morning and practiced on the landings, it floats quite aways still surprises me, but deadsticks with ease long as you don't nose up. No bad tendencies discovered from this end at all ! Touched down at least 3 times and this AM was near zero wind at daybreak, quite a treat flying in these rare conditions, kept aileron rolling it with short inverteds a piece of cake, touch of throw and it powers right up and back to you in a half outside loop, outstanding.

Don't suggest you land in the grass with skirts and slightly small wheels unless a very short cut, brought mine in other day in some wind and came in heigh on lengthy grass, also some sun in my eyes but all my error and it did tear off the landing gear, its a tuff bird but anything stupid can damage. Easy fix, out of epoxy and used some gorilla glue, stupid again this stuff expands, more sparing and you might get away with it, mine ended up looking like ice cycles hanging down, I knew better, Hah ! But its a strong hold...Ship still looks terrific ! And handling is off the charts !

BEST ..<>..
Old 06-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #14
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Some more input on its great handling...

It tracks straight and true on take off even tho a tail-dragger, no problem at all !

Some throttle and your off the pavement quickly

Zero torque issue, its straight ahead with flush settings

Does handle well but coarse on the elevator with the DX5I but works fine if you've flown faster ships with this transmitter, still suggest the DX6 or DX7 tho

With some room landings are easy and I'm weak here, just have plenty of space and maiden in lighter breezes you'll be fine.

Please land on the pavement, its not for grass landing unless extremely short cut, simply add larger wheels would solve the issue easily.

Looks great and flys great, many will be pleased with this one, its all they say it is !

BEST ..<>..

Again Deadstick handling is fantastic, just don't nose up too much and it lands great!
Old 06-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
rc4stroker
Sport Flyer

Club: Spartanburg Skyknights
Send a message via AIM to rc4stroker
Default Landing gear Issues

Donít blame yourself totally for knocking the gear off. I flew mine at exactly the same grass area that I fly my mini ultra stick, and other misc. park flyers at all the time. I ripped out my on the second flight. The first landing had just flipped over. It seemed to be a great flyer in the air. Just donít get it too slow.

" Have you flown a slab lately? "
Neal Hayes
Spartanburg SC
Old 06-23-2010, 04:33 AM   #16
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Yes, keep some airspeed and it will even deadstick, just keep things level, also gusty conditions can give me fits on landings, early AM has released some very nice conditions lately, really enjoyed the landing this morning, piece of cake without the gusts.

And grass be careful, very short grass is in order for this one.

We maidened another warbird today, will give another post, has retracts and looks very nice...BEST
Old 06-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #17
capt dan

Got mine two days ago, took off great but after landing it I checked the CG which I should have done first, and it was way tail heavy, after putting wieght in the nose it flys great a whole different palne indeed.....
Old 06-25-2010, 05:49 AM   #18
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Yep you want the COG right, mine is close, handles solid, some like a touch of tail heavy others more towards the nose but you want it to handle correctly for your flying, very important. Pay attention to the trim as well this one likes perhaps a touch of down elevator. BEST
Old 06-25-2010, 06:14 AM   #19
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Club: 114th RC Aerosquadron
Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via MSN to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
Friends: (1)

Even though Parkzone doesn't call it a 3D plane I wouldn't be surprised if it's better at it than some of the ones they DO claim are 3D capable

I need to fly one!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #20
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

This one shines again on its nice handling, Aerobatic its off the charts, flys like its on rails, I'm very happy with mine. Looks are impressive and its a hoot to fly. Give it abit more room for landing and no problems there if you have any landing skills. Don't suggest you land in the grass unless its an extremely manacured field. Its tuff but is possible to damage the landing gear with abusive contact. Very solid on take off different from other tail draggers. Most will likely be quite pleased with this responsive entry. Its not a beginners ship, but if you've flown warbirds, should have little issue with this one. BEST ..<>...
Old 07-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #21
jaskel

ok just got back from my Maiden! man this is a great plane! lifted off with 2/3 throttle, 2 clicks for the trim and all level!

Flies fast and slow too with minimal stalling..and the landing..well im not a good lander at the best of times but this was magic! i took the advce from here and came in 1/4 throttle and about 3 feet off the ground cut the throttle let it float for another 30 yeards and it was the softest landing ever!

this plane has potential! it exceeds me by a long shot...which is not hard might I ad!

Perfect flyer out of the box!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	072.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	131226

Name:	073.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	131227

Name:	080.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	131228

Name:	081.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	131229

Name:	082.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	131230

Name:	084.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	131231

Name:	085.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	131232

GOT AIR?
Old 07-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #22
jaskel

crappy video from my maiden, i left the wide fisheye lens on the camera so it screwed the focus up.

Plane also doubles as a ground chaser!

GOT AIR?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #23
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

For a maiden flight that was outstanding.

Flew this morning between the rain showers right at daybreak to get ahead of the winds, resetting the trim the day before it was zooming down to the point I had little time for correct trim and had to stick it in, scuffed the landing but no biggie.

Today again rain showers finally a brief moment to fly, light wind use a larger paved area into the breezes, took off fine and wanted to balloon with the morning air. About to start to rain again so flight was brief, lost it once in a dark area of the sky but plenty of altitude leveled things, another issue going down wind to and turning was very dark there, kept it higher than normal coming in went past me on the deadstick, it floats beautifully, it came in the far end but fairly decent landing for me . Need more flights on this puppie as my other ships are quite abit slower, fun to have one that aileron rolls below half throttle, and zero downstick on the inverted. A super flyer ! BEST ..<>..
Old 07-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #24
jaskel

Originally Posted by phillipmorris View Post
and zero downstick on the inverted. A super flyer ! BEST ..<>..

yeah thats cause the wings are upside down! they are flat on the top instead of being symmetrical!

This is a major flaw from Horizon but instead of fixing the issue they left us high and dry with a BS CG excuse!

This 300 is the last plane ill buy from Parkzone unless they fix the problem!

GOT AIR?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #25
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

yup, double check to see if your airfoil is upside down...

SK

Ministeve's videos
http://www.vimeo.com/user483596/videos
Ministeve's Photo Page at Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30153396@N06/

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners