Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-30-2007, 11:31 PM   #76
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

MikeyV,

Is that Elapor soup ready yet?

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 07-30-2007, 11:39 PM   #77
mikeyv

Friends: (0)

Yes and boy is it good! I have put together a couple of the fuselages with and without the soup. The soup sure made it pop out and it was easier to keep the fuselage straight when it was finally glued.

The staright head on wrecks can compress the fuselage as well as break the plane apart. Is the soup ready yet? You bet!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:00 AM   #78
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Do pilots have to pass a test at your field in order to move from beginner to qualified pilot? No one likes tests but knowing what is required, at a minimum can help a student concentrate on the basic, necessary skills for safe, controlled flight. Tricks can come after that.

I created this check sheet that I use during flight examinations that move a novice/beginner to senior pilot. If you have a similar check off sheet, perhaps you will share it so others can see what you do to help insure new pilots are safe to fly.

Keep in mind that we are a glider club that also flies small electrics of slow to medium speed that can be flown in a glider like fashion. Fields that fly glow, gas, helis, high speed or aerobatics may have other requiements.

Senior Pilot Examination Report

Flight Examiner ______________________ Date ___________
Tested Pilot _________________________________________

Oral Test – Based on club/field rules Pass ____ Fail _____
  1. Describe the type of flying that is permitted at our field
  2. Describe the field layout and safety guidelines
  3. Describe where pilots should and should not be flying
  4. Who may fly at this field
  5. Describe the planned flight
Airplane Check – Preflight ------------------- Pass ____ Fail _____
(hand launched gliders may take multiple launches to complete test. All others should be completed within one launch.)

Electric ___ Glider ____ Meets Club Guidelines ______

Does airplane appear air worthy? _____
Battery charged and well secured _____
Control surfaces operating properly _____
Successful Range Check _____

Flight Examination ------------------------ Pass ____ Fail ____

Safe, controlled launch _____
Safe, controlled climb to 50 feet minimum ______
Left circular flight with good altitude control _____ right circle _____
Safe, controlled flat figure 8 in center of the field ________
Safe controlled flight toward pilot exiting left _____ exiting right ___
Safe, controlled glide – power off for 30 seconds minimum _______
Safe, controlled set-up for landing ______
Safe, successful landing within a designated landing area ________
Plane flight worthy after landing ________

Flight Examiner’s Signature _________________________________________

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 11-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #79
Rock2160

Great post, I read every word, and it was VERY helpful...

Thank you

Rock
Old 12-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #80
jeholliday

Friends: (1)

Have not been here for awhile, but, I like this. When I was in the RC club if you could take off and land the plane back on the field you were an instructor. I did not like that. I always figured an instructor should have experience on several types of planes as well as lots of flights. My main concern was teaching the newbie on the proper procedure of getting ready to fly. You know the usual, filling tank, starting engine, range check and moving from pit to take off area. Too many times I seen guys/gals not get enough ground time. As I would tell them, the hardest thing is taking off, flying level and landing. MERRY CHRISTMAS, DOC Holliday
Old 04-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #81
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

What is the general opinion of buddy boxes. Do you typically use a buddy box?

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 04-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #82
worldraft

Send a message via MSN to worldraft Send a message via Skype™ to worldraft
Question Exams

AEAJR:
Well your post about the test is so good that I thought that I was back in school . Although I agree that a control should be had, I DO NOT agree that there should be a written or oral test. People are going there to have fun. This said a flying test should be done, with a responsible person telling the student what he wants the plane to do, a little like a drivers test in the car with the instructor. He’ll tell you turn right or turn left, etcetera.
Well I do not want to tell anyone what to do but this type of exam will turn of some, and find a field to fly rather then a club.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #83
jeholliday

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
What is the general opinion of buddy boxes. Do you typically use a buddy box?

I myself would require buddy boxes for the beginner/novice until they can demonstrate that they can control the plane in most situations. It is much easier to save a plane than rebuild it. DOC Holliday
Old 04-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #84
TLyttle
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

I have never owned a buddy box, yet I taught many, many people to fly. Having a stable model is all that is required so that the pupil has time to respond to quiet, no-panic, instructions. "No, your other right..." "Just let it float in, the walk will do us good..." is just as effective (in my experience) as the pupil moving the stick and getting the "wrong" reaction from the model. Clearly, my first sentence here takes away any credibility of my opinion!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #85
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Cool

Originally Posted by worldraft View Post
AEAJR:
Well your post about the test is so good that I thought that I was back in school . Although I agree that a control should be had, I DO NOT agree that there should be a written or oral test. People are going there to have fun. This said a flying test should be done, with a responsible person telling the student what he wants the plane to do, a little like a drivers test in the car with the instructor. He’ll tell you turn right or turn left, etcetera.
Well I do not want to tell anyone what to do but this type of exam will turn of some, and find a field to fly rather then a club.
Seems we have different approaches. No one has ever objected to my flight exam so no problem there. There is no written test.

Before I put anyone in the air I have to be confident they understand field rules and proper operating procedures. I ask the pilot to describe those to me. If they can't grasp that, I don't care how good they are on the sticks, I won't pass them.

As for the flight test, it seems you like to surprise them during the test flight. I prefer to let them know what is going to happen in advance. This way they know what to practice and what will be expected of them. I know I don't like surprises.

Likewise they know they will receive a uniform experience from each flight examiner. I think that is best.

I suppose many approaches work. This is mine and no one has ever objected. If this turns them off, so be it. There are other clubs in the area.

My job as an instructor is not to make them comfortable taking a test but to help them become competent and safe pilot. But, my goal is to do both.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 04-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #86
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

As of late I have done buddy box quite often (even with my 6-yr old daughter). I find it MUCH easier to help teach someone than by having to "reach around" or pass the TX back and forth.

I normally fly with a JR XP9303, and I bought a cheapo GWS 4-ch TX (JR shift) just so I could have a buddy box, and also a TX that my daughter can eventually use as she progresses.

I highly recommend use of a buddy box.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 06-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #87
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I don't typically use a buddy box. Many of the entry level RTFs that are brought to the field won't accept them. And frankly I have never really felt a strong need. These small electrics, if you have a proper beginner plane, are so stable and self correcting that I have done fine without a buddy box.

Some clubs requre them which means you can't train with a plane that won't accept a buddy box cord.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 06-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #88
Doc Pete
Pete O'Connor

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
I don't typically use a buddy box. Many of the entry level RTFs that are brought to the field won't accept them. And frankly I have never really felt a strong need. These small electrics, if you have a proper beginner plane, are so stable and self correcting that I have done fine without a buddy box.

Some clubs requre them which means you can't train with a plane that won't accept a buddy box cord.
With the average beginner (no sim time, and have a life other than breathing only r/c), the buddy box is the only way I really like helping anyone. I've had too many newbies give it the "other left" just as they are attempting to land and end up kindling wood, instead of nice touch down. No one can out guess a newbie, besides those that continue to grab the trans and won't let you take it, so for me the buddy box is invaluble.
Pete

Ask the old guy how to fly the plane....... He's still alive!!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:39 PM   #89
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

Friends: (88)

Originally Posted by Doc Pete View Post
With the average beginner (no sim time, and have a life other than breathing only r/c), the buddy box is the only way I really like helping anyone. I've had too many newbies give it the "other left" just as they are attempting to land and end up kindling wood, instead of nice touch down. No one can out guess a newbie, besides those that continue to grab the trans and won't let you take it, so for me the buddy box is invaluble.
Pete
Pete: Not The Other left ! don't ever do the other left! HaHaa, I just set um up so that they turn so gently that they have time to react, most folk dont get the throws down enough to give newbies a chance to think ,"oh,,, The other left" had five solos this summer and one that soloed but kept try'in to hand the trans back, she's got it now ( but she still hasn't ROG& landed yet but soon will), for learn'in, if the plane won't fly itself the newbie be able to ether,good post'in my bub,steve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 590.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	70894

Name:	petty an red 643.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	70895

Name:	petty an red 615.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	70896

Name:	petty an red 635.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	70897

Name:	planes 399.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	70898

Name:	planes 502.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	70899

Monkey Minion'air
Old 09-06-2008, 03:31 AM   #90
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

So, if you feel buddy boxes are the best approach, what do you do with the RTF radios that don't take buddy boxes?

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 09-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #91
jeholliday

Yeah the manufacturer did not think about that did they. Now we go back to basics. That is where having a trainer plane on hand helps. But, in case one is not available then you fly the plane in question to see what it needs to fly itself. While checking the plane have the student watch the transmitter as you explain what you are doing. Then when all is okay, depending on long the plane will fly I then move in behind the person and hold the transmitter in front of them. Of course before hand I have already showed them how to hold the transmitter and what does what. After they get ahold of the transmitter then my hands go on top of theirs. Also make sure you are high enough to be able to get the transmitter back or talk them out of the situation. Our club instructor was confined to a wheel chair and we taught him how to fly. He learned very quickly and flew every thing he could get his hands on. He was also the first to use a buddy chord. What was really fun was teaching a deaf mute how to fly. He learned real fast also. I still haven't figured out yet how the engine was dead when I didn't know it. I don't know where he flies at now as him and his family moved to another city. He was also a terrific builder and could start his own engine. Have fun, DOC Holliday
Old 01-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #92
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Kids:

We had a club meeting last evening. The topic of Cub Scouts came up.

Anyone have any special tips on how to work with a troop of Cub Scouts? Naturally we plan to include some RC flying, but tips would be appreciated.

This definately falls under the heading of helping people learn to fly, just focused on "little" people.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 01-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #93
cyclops2
Super Contributor

Default If you can be objective in a stated POSSIBLE goal.

Taking ANY group of mixed interests and standing them in front of model planes will be a lesson in............"I think 2 will come to a Instructors Night of free training."

If you get THAT MANY showing up.

You did extremely well...................

" NO WAY would I go to another Seniors ..Play and Dinner again............ABSOLUTLY NO WAY. " Rich.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:09 AM   #94
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

View Rabbitcreekok's Gallery8
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (30)

Ed, I am going to email you a application for a YES grant that outlines an Aviation Camp our club has put on for kids. It works very nicely. I will be glad to help you with and questions. This is what I would do before starting with the RC stuff.

Jim
AMA 735658
Old 01-24-2009, 01:26 AM   #95
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I got your PM and sent you my e-mail, but am totally at a loss as to why you want to send me this information about your Aviation Camp. Our club is not interested in starting a camp.

I am baffled by your post.

Ed

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #96
bandit03
TURN AND BURN

Club: MIDDLE GA FLYBOYS & RAA & H H
Send a message via ICQ to bandit03 Send a message via AIM to bandit03 Send a message via Yahoo to bandit03
Friends: (6)

i think you should go over the basics with them and use a buddy box and let them try once and then talk to them and point out what was going on with there flight.take them back up and let them learn as they go na djust br there to help and as they get better start some paddens with them .and let them have some fun with it.

BANDIT 03
LIKE TO FLY AND BUILD PLANES.ALSO MASTER TEC.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #97
ezra

Thank You
Old 05-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #98
The Wizard

Club: none yet

I have learned more about R/C planes and flying over the past several days just by reading as much of this forum as I could than I ever would have imagined. All of the information has been very useful and even though I won't be teaching anytime soon, reading how to do it gives me an idea of what to expect when I do get my plane and am able to get out to the field.

A huge thank you to everyone who has given information or advice.

If anyone would like motorcycle riding or reloading help, I can do that.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:34 AM   #99
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

If only you were in NY. I might have taken you up on your offer.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 05-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #100
mikeyv

Default Teach them Cubs to fly!

I was involved in Cub Scouts for a few years and might have some tips. I think you just need to keep it age appropriate. When they get into Boy Scouts they can get more involved in RC. You can do the buddy box system and talk a lot about RC but that is a little boring for a kid. I find they really like to build stuff and then fly it. Teaching them some basics about aviation may be the best foundation. Make it fun, let them build rubber band powered balsa wood planes. Teach them about COG and wing placement. Have contests on who can fly the longest, the farthest, or the highest. This should give you great opportunities to teach as well as a low cost for the kids.

As a kid I fondly remember making paper airplanes. I had made many and kept perfecting a design for long flying. Nothing was more thrilling than a long flight with a craft that I made myself. Make it fun and then slip in a little knowledge.

I think you want to be able to plant that seed for flying, then it will grow over time and they will naturally go into aviation.

Good Luck!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions

Tags
fly , helping , learn , people