Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default repairing balsa sheeted foam wings

Need to repair a balsa sheeted foam wing but not sure of the best method. It has a styro core with solid balsa tips and a hardwood leading edge. After numerous crashes, the balsa on the outer third of the wings is looking a little crumpled just over where the wing servo's have been inserted from underneath. I knew this would be a weak area, as I had to cut the balsa away from the underneath surface, remove the foam, and then cover it back up again, after putting in the aileron servo's. The wing is still straight and intact, but there are obvious creases in the balsa. Not interested in glassing them at all, but thought i could use some sort of filler to smooth the surfaces after cutting out and replacing the damaged timber. Any ideas appreciated
Old 11-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
eflight-ray

Friends: (3)

Bit late for a reply, but...

Sometimes a crease or dent in balsa will come out by soaking it in water, and then use a hot iron, (film iron), to heat it up. The hot wet balsa often swells enough to reduce the damage.

I have used fillers with no problems, though only as a thin layer, not as a hole filler.

If I have to cut a section out, I always like to cut the balsa at an angle using a straight edge, so that the piece that comes out leaves a taper to the hole. That way the new part when trimmed to fit can't be pushed through the hole, plus it give a slightly larger gluing surface, (scarf joint style).

One think you don't want to use is cyno, (super glue), to repair sheet, it is near impossible to sand down. I prefer a sandable aliphatic white wood glue, and hold the piece in place with tape while it dries.

Ray in Wales
As I get older I think more and more about the hereafter.
I walk into a room, and think, 'now what was it that I'm here after?' :o
Old 11-27-2010, 02:10 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by eflight-ray View Post
One think you don't want to use is cyno, (super glue), to repair sheet, it is near impossible to sand down. I prefer a sandable aliphatic white wood glue, and hold the piece in place with tape while it dries.
Or try one of those "Yellow" glues, such as Titebond, or Elmers yellow glues. Those I've tried are very easily sanded.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:34 AM   #4
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default give it a try

Thanks Eflight Ray and Dennis I'll try out those glues and methods and see how it goes. The damage is probably more cosmetic than structural. Cheers
Old 11-27-2010, 03:03 AM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by pattern14 View Post
Thanks Eflight Ray and Dennis I'll try out those glues and methods and see how it goes. The damage is probably more cosmetic than structural. Cheers
Years ago, I tried gluing two pieces of 3 inch by 3 inch balsa sheet together. That is, gluing them 'plywood style'.

One was glued by CA, the other by Titebond. After drying, 24 hours later, was very surprised to find that the Titebond glue joint was noticeably less weight than the CA glued joint as measured by my gram scale!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft