Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
DanWard

Friends: (1)
Default Help Please - What is the trick to ship warranty returns to HobbyKing

Even after being back in this hobby for about 10 months I find some issues that I'm absolutly at a loss on and therefore I come to the group to see if I can leanr from others experience.

As time progressed I'm moving away from HobbyKing and doing more of my purchasing from LHS, 3DHS, Headsuprc, etc.

But I can not escape that some of my original purchases were from HobbyKing. And to be honest I have yet to find a better battery source (better as in bang for the buck since I'm on a budget).

My Accucel 6 failed and HobbyKing tells me via email that it is under warranty (I've attached a copy of this email).

So I do the RMA thing from thier web page. This gives me an RMA number and a shipping label. Here again I have attached both.

I then write a return letter, something to put inside the package as a just in case measure (see attached). I wanted to breifly describe the failure as it occured and the actions that I took based on thier input.

So I print out the shipping address they gave me and wrote the RMA number in the provided area. I then put the Accucel6 and letter inside a box, taped the completed shipping address on the ouside of the box and carried it to FedEx for them to ship it back to Hobby King for me. I completed all shipping documents to reflect the ship to address as provided by HK on their shipping address label pdf file.

This all sounds correct so far, right?

So now the fun begins. I track it on FedEx. Please see the attached. It was released to the local FedEx facility for delivery on 12/2 and was sent out for delivery. But the delivery failed. FedEx says the address is incorrect. But how could that be? The address is printed from the form provided by Hobby King.

I've called Hobby King several times and they assure me the address is right and after that they indicate they can not help me. They can not get in touch with FedEx in China to get my package delivered.

I've called FedEx to assure them the address on the package has been confirmed as being correct. I also confirmed I provided them with the right China phone number so FedEx should be able to call HK and get it straightened out. I also gave FedEx the customer service email address for HK.

Yet here it is, seven days later, and my package continues to sit in the local FedEx facility in China. FedEx is telling me they may have to abandon the the package as undeliverable or if I'm willing to pay freight they can ship it back to me.

If I wasn't living it I'd swear it was a made up story. Anyone see a problem with how I went about returning it? Any suggestions?

I purchased the Accucel 6 based on a lot of reviews and positive commens I read on the web about it. I actually have 2 of them and the other works great. But this experience is telling me that while my purchase price might have been atractive service after the sale might have been something worth paying more for the base unit price. Maybe if I paid more for a charger it wouldn't have failed and if it did fail maybe it wouldn't have been such a hassle with warranty?

I don't know but I'd like to learn from the experience of others so if you have anything to share please do so.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
radialarm
Crash Test Clown!!!

View radialarm's Gallery14
Send a message via MSN to radialarm Send a message via Yahoo to radialarm
Friends: (2)

Most of us HK customers don't bother sending stuff back. Usually the price of shipping and then return shipping is more than the item is worth, plus the time involved. Hobbypartz is good for things like battery chargers, and offer free shipping.

Visit my homepage! Have A Good One!

Robert
Old 12-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
DanWard

Default Hobbypartz battery chargers

Hey thanks for the heads up. I went to HobbyPartz and looked at their chargers. Some were out of stock which may mean they are the ones to have so demand is high thus out of stock. But on others it appears that they will accept dual voltage input? When at home you could plug them into the wall? When at the field you can power them from a DC source such as a car battery?

Must say that I did not see much in the way of specs not that I'd know much about them.

I guess I'm asking for recommendations. I know I'm building a plane now that will use 4S 4000mah Lipo and some of the newer technology batteries will allow charge rates greater than 1C.

Obviously I don't know much but I'm trying. Anyone care to point me to a good charger? I just can not afford the big fancy expensive ones. I'm sure they are great but I am on a budget and will have to compromise. My better half would shoot me if I tried to justify a $100+ charger when I've been using a much less expensive one for 10 months now
Old 12-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
radialarm
Crash Test Clown!!!

View radialarm's Gallery14
Send a message via MSN to radialarm Send a message via Yahoo to radialarm
Friends: (2)

I've been using this one for over a year now, and have no complaints.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

Visit my homepage! Have A Good One!

Robert
Old 12-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

You may get some happy warranty people but I'm in radialalarm's camp. I accept that a certain % of this stuff will be defective and that's the price of buying it cheap. Returns to HK just sound like way too much hassle and added expense to the pain of disappointment already.

Hope you figure out a way to resolve this. You sure look like you've done your homework. I'm watching the thread...just in case.

Do your homework on the chargers. Those dual input AC-6 clones for the most part are exactly the same unit as the none AC-powered ones with a 5A laptop charger under that extended part. So they really aren't a great shake better, the PS is one more thing to fail taking the whole unit down, and most are limited to 50W. If you are stepping up in power you will want more charger capability and will need the PS to go with it. Power costs.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)
Default Hobby King

I use hobby King Rhino batterys. I have found this site to be just as good and I have had good service from them. I have 12 of their batterys. 4 and 6 cell.
Henry http://www.valuehobby.com/
Old 12-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

It is part of the Chinese tactic. Bad address "we never received it" and you are stuck.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Send a message via AIM to FlyingMonkey
Awards Showcase

AP Contest Winner  AV Contest 
Friends: (24)

If I was of the devious sort...

I'd repackage it in the original box, and bring it to the post office and ask to "return to sender"

Self proclaimed dictator of the Flite Test fan club.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)

When Buying Items from over seas, its always a Crap Shoot, It will cost you more time and trouble to try to send it back for warranty than whats its worth, Soooooo what i do is, Dont even Worry about trying to send something back, EAT IT, you have already saved enough money buying items below current US market prices at HK to Absorb any small losses on Defective products So, Dont Worry, Be Happy

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-10-2010, 02:22 AM   #10
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

View Lieutenant Loughead's Gallery35
Club: Flown 517 days in a row!
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon 

The solution is to buy Hobby City items LOCALLY. Shipping is faster and costs much less. And you have someone to talk to if something goes wrong.

I'm really surprised more people haven't figured this out! (Check out my web site at www.KarglUSA.com) <--Shameless plug.

Owner of the UNCLUB flying site and hobby shop in Arcadia, OK.

AMA #930992
Old 12-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #11
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
The solution is to buy Hobby City items LOCALLY. Shipping is faster and costs much less. And you have someone to talk to if something goes wrong.

I'm really surprised more people haven't figured this out! (Check out my web site at www.KarglUSA.com) <--Shameless plug.
I am blown away that more local businesses don't carry HK products.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:16 AM   #12
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Seems like you have a problem with Fed Ex. Fed Ex is Fed Ex whether it's US or China.
If it was me, and I'm a cheap skate who will waste time on the phone to get what I want, I'd call back US Fed Ex and when the rep tells you there is nothing they can do, you ask for a supervisor, and keep working your way up the chain.

On the other thing, can you imagine the hurt HK, if they ever get their act together over here, would put on the other US suppliers.

I know for me the only thing that holds me back from making small purchases from them is the time delay and shipping costs, so I try and plan ahead and stock up.
But if they had it all in the US I'd be ordering stuff every day. LOL!

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
misterv

Friends: (0)

I note the comments from "Chellie" about buying overseas and would advise him that modellers from outside of the US of A, (yes there is another World out here) have been putting up with this for years. The service, or complete lack of it, from some US suppliers has not been too good. At present with our dollar and economy, putting the US to shame, the Chinese service and prices is leaps ahead of US.
Chinese hobby outlets are definately causing some worries to the LHS. Two of the biggest wholesalers here in Australia, are now selling retail to the public.
I am now getting 3 emails a day from a US supplier offering large discounts.
I've paid my dues to the LHS for many years and if they want to keep going they will have to change as other industries have. It would appear that some of your smaller hobby shops are now pricing their products (Chinese made) compareable with HK prices.
You have probably received the latest information from Hobby King. They are now seeking World Wide LHS's to stock and sell their products. When this is up and running, the problems of returns and high postage costs, should be eliminated.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #14
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Awards Showcase

For the record, I responded to the HK request for local hobby shops to carry their products. I would love to represent them in Tulsa.

AMA #930992
Old 03-31-2011, 11:53 PM   #15
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Awards Showcase

HobbyKing recently announced that it would be opening store front locations here in the US. Initially for customer service, and item pick ups, and growing from there.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:22 AM   #16
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Awards Showcase

Yep -- I'm on board!

AMA #930992
Old 04-01-2011, 03:49 AM   #17
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Awards Showcase

Yep -- I'm on board!
I'm curious as to how they would do it. By the looks of things, they are not working with vendors, just closet sized shops, and progressing from there.

I'll have to see if I can find the article.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:52 AM   #18
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Awards Showcase

Here's a write up on RCU...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

Old 04-01-2011, 06:56 AM   #19
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

LL, I did the same for Florida. Man I'd be like an addict in need of a fix, who just got paid, if that were to happen.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #20
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
"...in the meantime if you have a local store that you would like to see carry our products please tell them to email us at cs@hobbyking.com"

Yes -- I understand. I read the same e-mail you did.

AMA #930992
Old 04-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #21
eagle33

Club: Dallas Electric Aircraft Flyers (DEAF)

Have you tried the Hobby King Support Forum @ www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=5?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #22
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Awards Showcase

"...in the meantime if you have a local store that you would like to see carry our products please tell them to email us at cs@hobbyking.com"

Yes -- I understand. I read the same e-mail you did.
Hmm, now I'm trying to remember if I read it in an email, or on their facebook page.

I will confess to seeing the line you just quoted, AFTER posting, and not correcting my statement though.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners