Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Alexander

Friends: (0)
Default Funjet, Setup

Hi!

Having little or no experience from this kind of aircraft(having flown mostly .46 size glow models), and the last months an easystar as intro to electric flight, I dont really know what kind of setup i need.

My thought was to use my setup from the easystar,

Turnigy 2835/2200kV
3s1800mAh LiPo
6x5.5 APC-E

According to D-calc this setup gives me something like

220W @ 20A in
130km/h V-pitch
600g static thrust.

Would this work for me, or would the plane be unbearably slow?

//Alexnader
Old 12-13-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

View groundrushesup's Gallery45
Club: Hill Country Wattheads
Send a message via AIM to groundrushesup
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
Hi!

Having little or no experience from this kind of aircraft(having flown mostly .46 size glow models), and the last months an easystar as intro to electric flight, I dont really know what kind of setup i need.

My thought was to use my setup from the easystar,

Turnigy 2835/2200kV
3s1800mAh LiPo
6x5.5 APC-E

According to D-calc this setup gives me something like

220W @ 20A in
130km/h V-pitch
600g static thrust.

Would this work for me, or would the plane be unbearably slow?

//Alexnader

It'll work... might be slower than you want it to be, even though this airframe glides like a champ... and at 1800mAh flight times will be short.

Here's a better choice I think - the 2700Kv motor of the same make... a hotter wind to give you the rpm that will give you the speed you want:

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=5221

Right now I run mine with an E-flite 2700Kv inrunner, 6x5.5P, and 3S 3000mAh Turnigy Nano-Tech batteries which are as light (231g) as comparable 2650mAh batteries of earlier generations. That said, I think a 2200mAh 3S 30C will do okay - in fact I think that is the spec? (not sure)

I run with a rather heavy 60A ESC, but thats because I plan to move on to 4S eventually.

I've clocked it at 92mph, and consistently get runs above 80mph. People love to watch it streak by, and often stop to ask about it. It is a loud little bugger!

~~~

It's good on you that you asked, because you're right - it is a completely different flying experience. The hand launching you get the hang of after a few flights, so don't worry about that.

It can be squirrely: A computer radio with expo and dual rates is pretty much a necessity - not just because of the Delta mixing, but because trying to fly this without exponential (and dual rates for that matter) at high speeds is suicide.

Good luck,
GRU

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0235.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	140529

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	140530

Name:	IMG_0238.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	140531

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	140532

Everybody's Somebody at The Hill Country Watthead's Thread!
Stop in and see what we're up to!

Visit Our Youtube Channel, too!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
Alexander

Hi!

Thanx for the tips! The start worries me somewhat, having seen some on youtube looking tricky. I have some experience dealing with expo and dual rates and feel confident i will get the hang off it. Dealing with the raw speed on some of the ones i saw on youtube though, is another deal. But ill try to keep it civilized in the beginning, (before ordering another more powerfull motor and crashing it).

I saw you had some amazing artwork on your plane, is there a trick to paint the Elapor that nicely? It seams that the original paint scheme lacks clear colors for easy "uppside/downside" recognition...

//Alexander
Old 12-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #4
Old Tin Man

GRU has the right idea here with the higher KV motor. It gives better flight performance and they are just a bit easier to launch because they tend to not toque roll the plane to the left with the shorter prop.

Also try and launch at less than full throttle, let it build some speed before you bury the throttle. The FunJet has a habit of rolling to the left on launch till builds some speed.

I am running this motor http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=11174 with a 7x6 and it is fun but just waiting to put a 3200 KV in with a 5x5 prop.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Alexander

Hi!

Thanx for the tips. I just had my first flight with the Funjet and it went great. Launch wasnt as tricky as i imagined either.

I got 12m of flight time from my 3s1800 battery, i was surprised by the low speed capabilitys by the plane, it handled impressively well.

Will look into getting a larger motor in a couple of flights.

//Alexander
Old 02-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
RCFlyer44

View RCFlyer44's Gallery2
Club: RC Wingers, Mooresville, NC
Send a message via Yahoo to RCFlyer44
Friends: (8)

Great paint job!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
DragonWeezel

Friends: (1)
Default WAIT!!

I personally think you will be just fine. Funjet & Stryker people love speed, that's why you got this plane (if we are honest...)but speed comes w/ a price.

The price in the FunJet / Stryker arena comes in the form of $ for components, flight time will look like this, the faster you go, the less time you will fly, and weight because you will sacrifice performance for longer flight times. More weight means launches need to have perfect form, low speed handling suffers, and more throttle required. When first flying your funjet, you'll do o.k. starting out w/ what you have.

I agree that launching w/o full throttle is a key to successful hand launching, I had two ideas for that, since it's a habbit to do that. 1 is set sub trim way down. 2. Set a switch to mix the throttle down 25% or more so it feels "just right" on the bench before taking it out.

Get a real good feel for it before you go up motors, or it will be an unpleasant experiance when your RX dies due to voltage dropout, because you did a hasty motor swap due to what you read on a forum, when really you should have upped the motor, esc and batt, only to find that your flying space doesn't accomodate 110+mph for more than a moment.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
collective itch

is everyone gluing the rear hatch down, or doing the mod with magnets?
seems if glued its hard to reach esc, adjust cog etc
what about this mod?
Old 03-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
kevinpeter12

Old 03-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
collective itch

I was a bit confused in setup choice. I went with 2700kv inrunner, pentium 40 a esc, 2200 30-40 c batts, 6x4 prop. Not the quickest, prob about 80 Ish, but flys great.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings