Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Brown7

Friends: (0)
Default New to flying, couple of foamie Build Questions

I have been flying foamies for a little while now(month) so i decided to buy the motor/esc/battery etc to build my own. Well Long story short I have built a p38. Before you say, "brown p38s are not for noobs". What i have done is put a pusher prop on it and plan to fly it that way. I know not historically correct, but i only have 1 motor and do not want to over complicate things at this time.

My original plane was a nighthawk i planned to learn on, but after crashing it several times and the V-Tail mixer dying on me i scrapped it.
My p38 isnt really a profile type plane, i actually took the time to form it, so hopefully its not too heavy. if it is i will scrap it and build a profile type.

Now were done with the background, my question is how do i apply the aileron linkages? my original thought was to do it like everything else and have 1 servo moving both sides but the angles are all wrong and they do not move as much as i want. Im either thinking too much into this and not seeing the obvious.

Im using an alpha 250 2200kv brushless outrunner, 2cell, and i think a 25a ESC, but i could be wrong and it might be lower.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)

Little difficult to know what to suggest based on the information you gave. Probably would be helpful to know how big the plane is you are building and how you formed the ailerons, where you are trying to locate the servos etc. Are the servos able to move through the full range or are they binding up only part way through the normal range of movement. Pictures might be helpful.

Good luck with it, sounds like it could be a fun project
Old 12-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Brown7

Duh, sorry

Attached is a crude picture, My concern is where im going to put the aileron Servo or if im going to have to use 2 servos. In the past i have used metal rods in a push/pull setup to move everything, but this is different because its not that easy.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p38.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	140599
Old 12-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Myself I would go with 2 servos for this plane. I am doing up a P-38 and the servos are mounted in the wing, and I am joining the servos with a Y connector.

John
Old 12-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)

I agree with John, two servos. I would mount them so the control horns are in the inner third of each aileron. The method you use to secure the servo to the wing surface will depend on how thick your wing is; you can either cut a pocket into the wing or surface mount using double side tape. The size and torque of the servo will be determined by how big the airplane is and how much it weighs.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
Brown7

I thought the 2 servos as well would be the best idea looking at it yesterday. I really want to fly it out this weekend weather permitting so i may get creative and try to make my own harness.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners