Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)
Default one more new guy!

I have RC cars and trucks (nitro) as well as 2 electric heli's. Really thinking hard about getting into fixed wing electric. I'm thinking eRC J5 since it is a 3 channel trainer that converts to 4 channel. I will most likely get the one without radio and get a HK 6 channel so it may be easier to get a rcvr and use it for more than 1 a/c. Anyway, new and listening and reading!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Welcome aboard! jump in with both feet and don't hesitate to ask for help! A lot of great folks her to lend a hand.

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
I have RC cars and trucks (nitro) as well as 2 electric heli's. Really thinking hard about getting into fixed wing electric. I'm thinking eRC J5 since it is a 3 channel trainer that converts to 4 channel. I will most likely get the one without radio and get a HK 6 channel so it may be easier to get a rcvr and use it for more than 1 a/c. Anyway, new and listening and reading!

Hi dkrhardy and Welcome to Wattflyers, get a good 6 channel transmitter, not the HK transmitter, Hitec, Jr, Futaba etc, are a few that come to mind, you will be glad you did you can get them cheap on e bay, use a Berg receiver on 72 Mhz, they are the best of the best and dont cost anymore than the other receivers, use a berg crystal only for best performance, I like the berg 4L receiver for my planes.
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V457587

the cub is a nice plane, use a simulator first, before trying to fly a plane, helis fly different than a plane does, and it will help you to get the feel for the sticks for a airplane, my suggestion would be to get a Easystar first, then the cub, crash the Easystar all you want when transitioning from heli to planes, they glue up nicely Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-XP6102-6-chan...item3363625274

http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-SX600-6-Chann...item3a614a86b7

PS. Most JR receivers dont seem to like E Power, use a Berg receiver

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-16-2010, 01:55 AM   #4
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

Frankenstein Build Contest Award  100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW 
Friends: (67)

Hi there dkrhardy,

If you are doing electric helis (real ones?) then you are more than trainer ready for fixed wing. If you are only doing 'air hogs' style heli's your plan still sounds good to go, but just be ready to use up some air space. Dont try to fly in a postage stamp sized lot. Give yourself some room!

Go get 'em!

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 12-16-2010, 02:02 AM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post

Or, check out the entry level Spektrum 2.4 Ghz radio. Price is $99 for transmitter/receiver only. Use your own servos. This radio will serve you well for quite awhile. Believe this transmitter runs on alkaline cells, not my favorite, but again, it's only $99.

http://search.horizonhobby.com/index...d=12CECB6E7AE7
Old 12-16-2010, 03:59 AM   #6
dkrhardy

Nooooo .... not airhog! And I will do 2.4 for radio ... no am or fm for me! When I changed to 2.4 for my cars, it was the BEST thing! More than 1 car or a/c per radio! For the $$$ involved the HK sure looks good. From what I can see, ALL of the 2.4's are from China, so it is a crap shoot at best! I will, of course, use a LARGE flying field. I don't want to have some itsy bitsy flying area! Please look into the eRC J5, it sure seems to be the best of both (3 ch vs 4 ch) for a 1st a/c. Lots of dihedral as a 3 ch and move the struts and attach the ailerons for the 4 ch "upgrade". Look at the videos before you make a judgement. I suppose you see that I have pretty much made up my mind ..... but I AM open to great ideas!

I failed to tell you I am a (not current) 1:1 a/c pilot. I am also a FAA air traffic controller so I do have the right vs left thing pretty well figured out. Try giving vectors (headings) to an a/c on a radar scope. 42 yrs ATC. I 1st soloed, 1:1, in 1971! Don't even know total hours. Log book lost. :-((
Old 12-16-2010, 04:00 AM   #7
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

View tampaflyer's Gallery7
Club: trac
Friends: (7)

FIND A CLUB... then go to a swap meet when you know what your looking for...low cost..no emotional attachment
Old 12-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery80
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)

Hi dkrhardy, Nice to meet you.
No advice here just another "WELCOME to WattFlyer!!"

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
dkrhardy

Thank you, one and all! I have the fever but the winter season is forcing me to keep looking. Mostly for input on that particular a/c. New a/c and the only videos or reviews are from the company .....so .....
It is too windy for my helos on most days so I'm sure the same is true for a fixed wing novice. The good is that I can take my time and be sure of my choice.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions