Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-19-2010, 02:19 AM   #1
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)
Exclamation Here's something you Champ owners may want to check

Found this tonight by total accident. I received my Champ last night, haven't even had the chance to fly it yet. Dang rain.

Anyhow, walked into the dark shop and I see an orange glow on the work bench. Thinking I had left the tx on I check and it's turned off. What the Heck? And just by accident I got the tx in the right position and I spied a little orange light glowing through the gap on the right side of the throttle switch.

Turn the tx on and the orange lamp stays on. Pull a battery and of course it goes off.

Now the weird part, tx is turned off, reinstall the battery and the orange light comes on and the tx makes 4 very soft beeps.

From what I can see the tx works fine with the bird. But for some reason something in the tx is staying on with the switch turned off.

I know I've read about battery problems and tx problems and wonder if this may be why. Would easily drain the batteries over time, and if something is staying on it could be causing something in the tx to overheat and act up.

I emailed Horizon on it and when I get a chance I'm going to pull the tx apart and see if I can find out what is going on.

But anyhow, you may want to look at your stock tx. I was lucky to find this as I doubt out in the day light I'd ever see it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	warning!!!!!!!! 001.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	140703

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
serasbach

Friends: (0)

These radios that come with these planes aren't exactly the best quality, so I'm not really surprised that you are having this issue. If I were you, I would look around in the classifieds for a DX5e and you'll get a lot more range and a lot less problems. I see them sell for about $40-$45 shipped. The range on the radio you have now is a bit limited as it is not considered a full-range transmitter, if you had the DX5e, you could fly that champ much higher and further away too. The Champ binds very easily with the DX5e. A friend of mine was having issues after about 300' losing signal with the radio that came with his Champ, so we bound it to a DX5e that I have and it works so well that we can fly that champ until we can barely see it anymore. Not to mention I think those little radios that come with the Champ don't really give you a realistic feel of a true RC transmitter, they feel more like a game controller to me.

I do think HH should replace your radio though, it appears as though you may have a bad switch.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes