Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
codys

Friends: (0)
Default Beginner confused about what plane

Hello all

I have wanted to get into this great hooby for some time and now i am going to take the plunge but damn am i confused about which plane to got for.

I have been told by a few people that the Hobbyzoe Super Cub LP will be one of if not the best one ot start with.

Ok here is where i an confused, the Super Cud LP is a 3 channel plane right with no alerones (spelling) where as most other planes it will go for in the future with be 4 channel with alerons.

So learning on a 3 channel plane that uses the rudder to turn and not the alerons like on 4 channels meodels, will i have to learnall over again once i upgrade planes?

am i better starting off with a 4 channel unit?

What are the suggestions interms of planes to start off with?

Sorry for the noob questions but its driving me nuts
Old 12-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

The Super Cub is an awesome plane to start with. That and a Sim and you'll be up in no time.

If you want to start out with a 4 channel you can do that too but I would highly encourage you get with an experienced flyer that can train you how to fly. There is a lot more difficulty involved and it'll be expensive if you don't get help.

Either way it's a good idea to get help, but especially with a 4 channel trainer.

And Welcome to Wattflyer!

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 12-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
skyman

Yep, first before you buy a plane, get a sim. You can start on a 4ch, but it would be very difficult. You would more than likely total it in the first 30 seconds of your first flight. Hobbyzone champs, super cubs, skyfly 1s and 2s are all good planes to start on.

"I didn't crash... I just did an inverted nose landing!"
Old 12-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

View buzzbomber's Gallery11
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by glenncol View Post
Hello all

...So learning on a 3 channel plane that uses the rudder to turn and not the alerons like on 4 channels meodels, will i have to learnall over again once i upgrade planes?...
To address this point: No. As long as you switch to 4 channels with an appropriate (read: docile) plane, you will not have to learn all over. The control inputs are the same with the exception of coordinating the turn by adding rudder. Either way, your primary turning functions are controlled by the right stick.

Matt

Down with Gravity!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
codys

Wow guys thank you for the warm welcome

Thank you for the great advice each of you, as usual i am trying to do the quater mile sprinting before i can walk, I will stick with the cub but will also look at the skyfky planes as well and as suggested get a sim to practice on.

Where i want to get to is a EDF Jet that goes as fast as possible, but i love watching the dog fighting and would be great to get into that sometime soon

Thanks heaps again
Old 12-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Originally Posted by glenncol View Post
Where i want to get to is a EDF Jet that goes as fast as possible, but i love watching the dog fighting and would be great to get into that sometime soon
EDF jets are an exceedingly common, expensive, and frustrating way to start the sport. Think maybe as your 3rd or better 4th plane unless you practice a LOT, and progress rapidly.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
Monterey10

Club: RCBees
Send a message via Yahoo to Monterey10
Smile 1st plane

As a new person, I was attracted to large planes, but, since learned that you need a lot of space to fly said large plane.

Some of my friends, who are very good at flying were flying 21" wingspan planes, just because we have smaller parks in our area. You don't have to drive so far. Also, the batteries are cheaper. Just avoid windy days.

Regarding the actual plane, If you have grass fields, you're looking at belly landing on the grass. High wing planes with some dihedral will fly steady.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

View Angler-Hi's Gallery20
Send a message via Yahoo to Angler-Hi
Friends: (40)

As recommended, the HZ Super Cub is a good beginner plane with an excellent track record. I would invest in a sim and start practicing, at least a bit before heading to the field. The two biggest obstacles for beginners are, orientation (as the plane's coming towards you) and landing. Some folks learn on a 3ch bird and some start out with a 4ch.

The great thing about the Super Cub is that when you're confident with flying her on 3ch, you can modify the wing to allow for a 4ch plane, by adding ailerons. If you crash or have a few hard landings, just keep at it. You've chosen a great place to get advice. The pilots here have a combined, world of knowledge. If you have any other questions, don't be a stranger. We're all here to help...it's how we all started. Welcome to Wattflyer friend, and good winds.

Mike

The best teacher in the world is experience...now go fly something already
Old 12-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

FWIW, from beginner to beginner: I had more luck with The Champ than the Super Cub. The Champ needs a much smaller field, doesn't fly away from you as quickly, is almost $100 cheaper (US prices), has a more modern radio, allows radio upgrade to full size tx...

Then again, I just got into the Hobby, and I'm probably biased by the fact that The Champ gave my first 100% successful flying experience.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I think the dividing line between 3 or 4 channel for trainer is the students prior knowledge and possible experience with aviation.

The big difference between the 3 or 4 ch, of course, is with 3 ch the plane should be designed to be self-righting, in regards to the bank angle, probably more so than a 4 channel. The pilot in this case, is steering with the rudder, more like driving a car or riding a bike. The plane's design works to keep the wings level.

With 4 ch, the pilot controls the banking of course. For someone familiar with how full scale (I didn't say 'real'! ) aircraft fly, like if they've used flight sims like Microsoft FS, or X-Plane, it will be familiar to them, and more 'natural'.

Having been flight-simming for many years before picking up the RC hobby, I could not imagine going with a 3 channel setup. As a matter of fact, I have a hard time making myself steer with the left stick on my RC sim when I try a 3 ch plane. I know, you could set the rudder to the right stick, but losing the aileron control is a different experience.

Be aware that when I refer to flight-sim experience, that doesn't include many video game's versions of how planes fly or are controlled. My son has his XBox360, and I found that the default way many gameswork the character's view, the vertical control (Look up/down) is backwards to how aircraft controls work. So you push the stick forward, you look up, pull the stick, you look down. So teaching my son to fly is a bit extra challenging...

Also, the way many games have you control the planes can be creative in all sorts of ways, so for people with this kind of simulated flying experience, the rc learning process can be worse than starting from scratch, as they have to unlearn the wrong things they've already learned.

Well, sorry to ramble. Just waiting for the rest of the family to get up this Xmas morning, so I have some time to kill. (Man, I wish I could sleep so good.)
Old 12-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Send a message via AIM to FlyingMonkey
Awards Showcase

AP Contest Winner  AV Contest 
Friends: (24)

I like the HobbyZone Champ as well.

I've had a bit of luck introducing new people to flying, with this little plane.

Self proclaimed dictator of the Flite Test fan club.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
I like the HobbyZone Champ as well.

I've had a bit of luck introducing new people to flying, with this little plane.
I really liked your Champ, That thing rocks, bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75692_1652375143033_1046641667_1758614_3485893_n.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	140969 Heres monkey preflight'in his Snake!!bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 12-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #13
Angela

Default Help

Hi, sorry to post to this thread, im new on here and dont know how to work this site - im also new to rc helicopters, got one for my daughter, its just the fxd 3.5 channel helicopter - its just a name to me but hopefully someone on here will know it. Anyway the helicopter needed charging, was working absolutely fine apart from the battery going, anyway ive charged it and now it wont lift in the air, everything else its working fine and the blades are rotating....im puzzled cause like i said it worked fine before it needed charging. Does anyone have any ideas of whats wrong and how i fix it? my daughter loves it and the shop have none left. Thanks
Old 12-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #14
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Were a bit of a loose group here and not to worry,
On the web site I saw It takes 150 mins to charge, does your's have a separate charger on does it charge from the tranmitter?, hope this is the one you have , if not I'll find it, bubsteve
PS Welcome to wattflyer!

Monkey Minion'air
Old 12-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #15
Angela

thanks for replying, no its not the one, its just the small one - A68673 ? its times like this I need a man here to help me lol.....sorry forgot to mention it charges from both the remote and/or the computer
Old 12-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #16
foamjetpilot
Number 3 wire

Club: Club of one for now.
Friends: (4)

Gotta love those Rough Green Snakes...do they get airsick bubsteve?

"It takes a big man to cry after crashing his plane and it takes a bigger man to laugh at the man crying". Can I get you a garbage bag?
Old 12-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #17
Angela

im getting confused on this site - dont know whos replying to what post
Old 12-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #18
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Angela View Post
im getting confused on this site - dont know whos replying to what post
The best way, is if the person responding, quotes the person they're talking to.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #19
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Awards Showcase

thanks for replying, no its not the one, its just the small one - A68673 ? its times like this I need a man here to help me lol.....sorry forgot to mention it charges from both the remote and/or the computer
One of these?

http://www.chinatopwin.com/kp-fxd-3-...nel-31611.html

Old 12-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #20
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by foamjetpilot View Post
Gotta love those Rough Green Snakes...do they get airsick bubsteve?
CG on um's a Crap-shoot!!
sorry bout the wrong chopper but thats Google for ya,
are you useing rechargeable batt's?? they are 1.2 V and you need the alkaline type thats 1.5V to charge it,, I' had that prob before and this worked. i'd try the computer charge to see, bubsteve

bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 12-26-2010, 01:36 AM   #21
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8
Club: DE R/C, SKSS

Hi Angela.

I fly alot of small lower priced stuff. Maybe I can help. Most of my planes that charge from the transmitter (radio) have a switch on the craft that needs to be moved to a certain position to charge. One plane had three positions off, on and charge. If the battery is not getting charged it will not take off. Please check that and let us know if it is something else we are missing.

Terry

Terry

Flying is like ... ah well ... I can not think of anything it is like...
Old 12-26-2010, 01:45 AM   #22
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8
Club: DE R/C, SKSS

Glenncol

Just stop thinking and start flying. Three channels or four makes no difference once your brain thinks in the correct pattern. To get to that joyous place, you must fly alot. Planes go up and down, right and left. The controls do not matter and the three channel trainers are an awesome place to start. I do not own a super cub, but I have flown at least a dozen. I can get it up three mistakes high and give the controller to a beginner without a lot of worry. If they mess up, the plane usually rights itself before they can get the controller to me, My first choice would be the mini mag from multiplex you can add ailerons and it flys so well.
Terry

Terry

Terry

Flying is like ... ah well ... I can not think of anything it is like...
Old 12-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #23
Angela

Thanks Terry, it just has 2 switches - on and charge, think i'll just have to buy another because I dont have the receipt, got it a few months ago to put away for xmas.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #24
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Terry, it just has 2 switches - on and charge, think i'll just have to buy another because I dont have the receipt, got it a few months ago to put away for xmas.
Hi Angela and welcome to Wattflyer. Can you post a picture of your heli and the remote? Alot of time a picture can be very helpful.

Mike

Old 12-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #25
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
I think the dividing line between 3 or 4 channel for trainer is the students prior knowledge and possible experience with aviation.

The big difference between the 3 or 4 ch, of course, is with 3 ch the plane should be designed to be self-righting, in regards to the bank angle, probably more so than a 4 channel. The pilot in this case, is steering with the rudder, more like driving a car or riding a bike. The plane's design works to keep the wings level.

With 4 ch, the pilot controls the banking of course. For someone familiar with how full scale (I didn't say 'real'! ) aircraft fly, like if they've used flight sims like Microsoft FS, or X-Plane, it will be familiar to them, and more 'natural'.

Having been flight-simming for many years before picking up the RC hobby, I could not imagine going with a 3 channel setup. As a matter of fact, I have a hard time making myself steer with the left stick on my RC sim when I try a 3 ch plane. I know, you could set the rudder to the right stick, but losing the aileron control is a different experience.

Be aware that when I refer to flight-sim experience, that doesn't include many video game's versions of how planes fly or are controlled. My son has his XBox360, and I found that the default way many gameswork the character's view, the vertical control (Look up/down) is backwards to how aircraft controls work. So you push the stick forward, you look up, pull the stick, you look down. So teaching my son to fly is a bit extra challenging...

Also, the way many games have you control the planes can be creative in all sorts of ways, so for people with this kind of simulated flying experience, the rc learning process can be worse than starting from scratch, as they have to unlearn the wrong things they've already learned.

Well, sorry to ramble. Just waiting for the rest of the family to get up this Xmas morning, so I have some time to kill. (Man, I wish I could sleep so good.)
I couldn't agree more!! I actually started out on a 4ch plane with no experience what so ever. I bought a 4ch plane while waiting for my Super Cub to come in the mail, lol. Flying the SC after flying my 4ch was so weird...but I enjoyed the SC with very relaxed flights. I also had a buddy of mine with me when I flew for the 1st time as well, lol...he's a great pilot. But yes, I totally agree with your post friend. That's why I commented on how some folks start with a 3ch and some with a 4ch.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners