Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Club: SMAC
Friends: (2)
Default Nitro Planes .46 Edge 540T

I'm retrofitting a Nitro Planes .46 Edge 540T. I had a Evolution NT .61. I replaces the Nitro engine with a Hobby Partz Monster .60, 70 amp opto ESC from Heads Up, 6s1p 5000 20c Lipo from Hobby Partz, and a 15 X 10 prop. I also used a BEC fro Castle. I'm waiting for a new wattmeter (Mine bit the dust) I'm thinking I'll have about 900 - 1000 watts. The plane weighs 6 pounds fully loaded. I think it will out preform the Evolution .61.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

If the Monster is similar to the EFlite 60,(400 kv) you are looking at approx 930 watts in, 650 out.

Still put you over 100 watts per pound, should fly pretty nice. Roughly 8 pounds of thrust and 60 mph.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by Big Johnny View Post
I'm retrofitting a Nitro Planes .46 Edge 540T. I had a Evolution NT .61. I replaces the Nitro engine with a Hobby Partz Monster .60, 70 amp opto ESC from Heads Up, 6s1p 5000 20c Lipo from Hobby Partz, and a 15 X 10 prop. I also used a BEC fro Castle. I'm waiting for a new wattmeter (Mine bit the dust) I'm thinking I'll have about 900 - 1000 watts. The plane weighs 6 pounds fully loaded. I think it will out preform the Evolution .61.
I plugged in the Monster Power 60 numbers into www.motocalc.com. Motocalc predicts motor efficiency is only around 60% with this motor. Motocalc also predicts your motor will run really HOT at this power level. Predictions are that this motor will turn your 15X10 prop at about 5400 RPM.

As a comparison, with your same battery, my Hacker A50-16S motor will turn your 15X10 prop at 7500 RPM, running the same 1100 watts input to the motor, and 960 watts on the prop shaft. This setup will outperform your glow engine.

Major difference between the two motors, the winding resistance of the Hacker is 0.026 ohms, the monster power is 0.06 ohms. That is a big difference, and is one reason those higher quality motors cost more.

(I've got 7 Hacker motors ranging from a A30, to an A60-16M, plus a few other assorted brushless motors.)
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
57sailplane
Motorcalc Junky

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (1)

big jonny,

i have a few questions for you. what kind of flying are you after with this plane. 3d,pattern, sport. also would you be most happy with a plane that flies the longest or best climb rate or a compromise between. the reason i ask is there might be a better prop for this combo. it just depends on what you are after.

oh and as mentioned this combo with this prop is going to fly hot so full throttle should be used sparingly.

the reason i am asking these questions is not to tell you how bad it will fly but help and possibly better your combination for the style of flying you want out of the plane. for example if you want the plane to fly properly and have long flight times without over heating. i would suggest a 14x10.. it will give you a little less climb rate then the 15x10 but will give you a little better flight times and drop motor temp down to were its not in the hot range. now on the other hand if you are not worried about heat and want to have the best performance for 3d then a 16x8 would be the ticket. if one can be had and it will fit? the temp will actually be less with this prop then the 15x10 but still will run hot. now what is to hot i don't now i have flown stuff that motorcalc says is to hot and had no problems. the thing is i don't 3D so i am not as hard on the motor as some.

these suggestions are just educated guesses that i have come up with using motorcalc. i dialed all i could find off of the Internet to come up with these findings. although not exactly the same as some as my efficiency's of this motor showed more like 69 to 73% which is not bad at all. oh and by the way i never hardly look at the efficiency findings. i look at speed, thrust, cl flight time and full throttle flight time. the reason is is because you can be the most efficient but have a plane that barely flies on such set up while another set up will fly great with less efficiency. static efficiency is irrelevant to a plane in the air unloaded.

I am a Speed Freak!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Club: SMAC
Friends: (2)

I just fly around the sky. I don't have the nerve to try 3D. If I make it back to Terra Firma in one piece I'm happy.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 AM   #6
57sailplane
Motorcalc Junky

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (1)

well,

for what you want i think the prop you chose is very good that is if it passes the wattmeter testing. if the motor comes down hot i would definatly try the 14x10.

good luck with your plane. should be fun.

I am a Speed Freak!!!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)