Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-24-2010, 03:55 AM   #1
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)
Default Mountain Models Firestorm Build

Under the better late than never thought I would post a few pics of the Firestorm build I am currently doing. I am finished doing the rough build on the airframe and am just getting started doing the sanding etc
The last balsa build I did was a Guillows B17 that I added in on a few times on the build thread that Park started on his B17 last winter. Before that it had been about 15 years since I did a build. I did a foam F22 I bought from Mountain Models, and decided to buy the Firestorm based on my experience with that kit and reputation Mountain Models has for a high quality product.

The difference in the two kits is nothing short of amazing. Granted my B17 kit was about 15-20 years old before I started it, so I expected this would be easier but even so...

The kit arrived in excellent condition, well packaged and complete.
The parts separate from the boards very easily, fit together with very few minor issues, providing excellent alignment, and stay snapped together for easy gluing at the appropriate time. I do not think I used a knife more than a half dozen times through the build so far. The directions provided are clear and easy to follow.
I decided to do a fixed gear rather than doing a retract set up as I fly from a grass field, and have noticed that I not seen any of the other pilots there, many of which are much higher time than myself, using retracts. I suspect they have learned a bit about what holds up well on our field.

I am planning on using a Heads Up RC 3542-10 for power

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

with the 3S battery and most likely a 11 x 5.5 prop, and a 40-50 a ESC

I have used a number of Jeff's set ups and been happy with them so I am inclined to stick with them. The only thing I am hesitating on is that the firewall in the Firestorm seems to be set up for a 3 point rather than the 4 point motor mount I have seen thus far. If the speced Scorpion motor uses a 3 point that is easier to work with, that may be a point in going that direction instead. Will need to do some more work on that point

Still working out the covering scheme. The base color will be bright yellow to make it easy to see, not sure what I will do with the trim yet

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1249.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	140891

Name:	DSCF1250.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	140892

Name:	DSCF1251.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	140893

Name:	DSCF1252.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	140894

Name:	DSCF1253.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	140895

Name:	DSCF1254.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	140896

Name:	DSCF1255.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	140897
Old 12-24-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization

Thanks for sharing your build! This is a kit I'm interested in as well. I am looking foreward to hearing about taking off and landing on grass. That's what I need to do as well.

I just bought a HeadsUpRc.com 3542-10 motor for a plane I'm planing to build. I've ran it up on a motor test stand I built and it's definitely a strong motor. Biggest I've tried so far.

Looking foreward to your build. Good luck with it!

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 12-24-2010, 04:22 AM   #3
buzzltyr

Friends: (4)

I'm about at the same point you are with my Firestorm. I did do the retracts, using the GP.10 retracts. I fly off of grass some of the time, and asphalt some of the time. The retracts are pretty robust, so I think they should hold up OK. I have mine sanded, but haven't started covering yet. I've got some custom graphics that Callie did for me which I'll apply when I'm done with the basic covering. I'm using the Scorpion that MM recommends, and a Thunderbird 56 ESC. I've got a 3S 2200 battery I'll use, if I can get the CG set with it. I always feel that lighter is better.

When I get her done, I'll post up some pics, although it may be awhile before I finish. I'm really slow building and covering these days.....

Mark
Old 12-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
dumo01
dumo01

Originally Posted by Stevephoon View Post
Thanks for sharing your build! This is a kit I'm interested in as well. I am looking foreward to hearing about taking off and landing on grass. That's what I need to do as well.

I just bought a HeadsUpRc.com 3542-10 motor for a plane I'm planing to build. I've ran it up on a motor test stand I built and it's definitely a strong motor. Biggest I've tried so far.

Looking foreward to your build. Good luck with it!

Steve
I have used a couple of Jeffs bigger motors in projects, used a 3548 in a Hyperion SU-31 that I got in a WattFlyer Buying club purchase and a 4248 in a Tower 40 trainer conversion. Both work very well Hope your project goes well. What are you building?
Old 12-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
dumo01
dumo01

Originally Posted by buzzltyr View Post
I'm about at the same point you are with my Firestorm. I did do the retracts, using the GP.10 retracts. I fly off of grass some of the time, and asphalt some of the time. The retracts are pretty robust, so I think they should hold up OK. I have mine sanded, but haven't started covering yet. I've got some custom graphics that Callie did for me which I'll apply when I'm done with the basic covering. I'm using the Scorpion that MM recommends, and a Thunderbird 56 ESC. I've got a 3S 2200 battery I'll use, if I can get the CG set with it. I always feel that lighter is better.

When I get her done, I'll post up some pics, although it may be awhile before I finish. I'm really slow building and covering these days.....

Mark
Looking forward to see how your comes out. Please feel free to post on the thread. I am thinking about contacting Callie as well as I hear they do very nice work.
Birddog posted some pics of a Firestorm build he did about a year ago with a very nice graphics package.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ight=firestorm

I think I am leaning more towards something along the lines of what Brian has posted on the MM website pics of the Firestorm but have not thought that much about it as yet

Do you already have the Scorpion motor? Is it a three point mount to the firewall or is that a figment of my imagination? It may be that the actual motor mount is a four point and you ahve to drill your own holes to fasten the motor into the firewall

Good luck with the build
Old 12-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
buzzltyr

Friends: (4)

Originally Posted by dumo01 View Post
Looking forward to see how your comes out. Please feel free to post on the thread. I am thinking about contacting Callie as well as I hear they do very nice work.

I think I am leaning more towards something along the lines of what Brian has posted on the MM website pics of the Firestorm but have not thought that much about it as yet

Do you already have the Scorpion motor? Is it a three point mount to the firewall or is that a figment of my imagination? It may be that the actual motor mount is a four point and you ahve to drill your own holes to fasten the motor into the firewall

Good luck with the build
I believe the Scorp mount has four arms. I think the motor mount box that Brian provides with the kit is designed around the Scorpion he recommends, so I wouldn't think I'd have to do anything but bolt it in place.

I've used Callie extensively on quite a few builds. Her graphics are always outstanding. There is no way I could do what she does with covering. Basically, I'm covering the plane in white Solarfilm. Callie's done up some purple flames outlined in gold for me (my take on the "Firestorm" name).

Mark
Old 12-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
park
Will fly for food

Friends: (3)

dumo01,

Looking forward to how it fly's ! I want to build the P-51 next but I must admit when this model came out it got my attention.

When I fly alone, I prefer to be by myself.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:22 PM   #8
dumo01
dumo01

Originally Posted by buzzltyr View Post
I believe the Scorp mount has four arms. I think the motor mount box that Brian provides with the kit is designed around the Scorpion he recommends, so I wouldn't think I'd have to do anything but bolt it in place.

Mark
Finally getting back to working on this again, and figured out what Brian had in mind. I don't think he specifically mentions building the motor box in the directions and I thought he wanted to mount the motor directly on the plywood piece that bolts to the firewall. When I started looking through the parts I had left and found the pieces marked "MM" i understood what he had in mind. I suspect it will work much better than what i was coming up with.

Anyway time to get back to the sanding

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1256.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	141195 Fuse firewall view

Name:	DSCF1257.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	141196 Motor Mount?

Name:	DSCF1258.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	141197 Drill your own and mount motor

Name:	DSCF1259.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	141198 Nope, the bulb finally comes on
Old 01-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
dumo01
dumo01

Default Mixing covering types?

Working on covering the Firestorm, using yellow Solar Film for the most part, was going to do black on the belly and lower 1/3 of the fuse and the leading edges of the wings.
I was going to use a ro0ll of black Ultracote Park Lite I have. Anyone ever have any problems using the UltraCote over the Solar Film? I had thought their temperature ranges were a little different, but looking at the specs I can find they look pretty similar. The yellow Solar will be on overlap the black on the fuse, on the wing I was planning to do the whole wing in yellow and then lay down a 1 inch or so band on top of the wing behind the leading edge, with just enough to cove the leading edge of the bottom of the wing.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:53 AM   #10
CB Flyer

Friends: (0)

Hey guys,

Could you tell me what servos you will be using for the firestorm?? mine is on the way and was wondering whether there is enough space for a larger servo than they recommend. The total length of the servo is 32mm and has a width of 11mm.

thanks.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:45 AM   #11
dumo01
dumo01

CB

Glad you asked that question, it made me go back and look again at what I was planning

I actually have not ordered them yet but was going use these for all:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...2g-EMAX/Detail

When I was measuring to answer your question I realized the servo slots are different sizes, the fuse slots for the rudder and elevator are 24x11, the wing slots for the ailerons are 29x 11. I do not recall the directions saying specifically,b ut it might suggest using a bigger servo for the ailerons. The recommended servos on the website are the HiTec HS 65 and 82. I took that to mean either would work well, but my thought now is that the ailerons need the bigger omph the 82 would provide and lo and behold, the dimensions of each will fit the slots as built.

So to make a long story short I will most likely use:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...2g-EMAX/Detail

for the rudder and elevator and

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...g-Hitec/Detail

for the ailerons.

The servo boxes on the wing should not be too tough to modify to fit the 33 mm servo and the forward box on the fuse should be OK as well. The rear fuse servo box might be more difficult as there is a bulkhead right in front of the box. To make the box bigger toward the tail may have issues with the servo depth fitting in the tail as the tail widths is decreasing there. My best guess is you will not be able to get any deeper servo than about 21mm unless you add spacers above the level of the fuse

Good luck with the plane, it has been a fun kit to build so far. Will get some more pics up in a few days. Has been kind of slow going, I seldom seem to get more than about an hour to work on it on any given night.

Please use the thread to put up some pics of your build, always good to see what ideas others have.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Your plane is looking great, Subscribed the 3542-10 and the servos you linked to will do a wonderful job for you, Nice and strong Take care and Have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
CB Flyer

thanks for that great info. I'm looking forward to seeing some more pics. The Firestorm will be my first balsa build ever so i may take it slow
Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
Eberwein
Mountain Models

Friends: (2)

Hey guys,

You do use HS-82 type servos for ailerons and HS-65's on the tails.

Sorry if I didn't put that in the instructions. I'll get that added, along with the motor mount build pictures, in the next batch.

Brian
Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #15
dumo01
dumo01

Originally Posted by Eberwein View Post
Hey guys,

You do use HS-82 type servos for ailerons and HS-65's on the tails.

Sorry if I didn't put that in the instructions. I'll get that added, along with the motor mount build pictures, in the next batch.

Brian
Brian

It really is a nice kit and a fun build when I have time to work on it, Glad you are able to catch up on it via the thread.
One question I had:
On the full scale plans it looks like the hinges for the ailerons are spaced in between the ribs. My inclination would have been to anchor the hinges into the ribs so there was more wood for the glue to adhere to. In talking to one of the more experienced builders in my club, he said that the reason you show it off the ribs was to avoid issues trying to cut the hinge slot into the hardened CA adhesive. Is that your intent in the design? I guess with the number of hinges you have per side, there should be no issues keeping the aileron with the wing. I have not covered the wing yet so I could add some wood at the hinge spots to build them up, but if it does not need it why add the weight so....
Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #16
Eberwein
Mountain Models

Friends: (2)

Your friend is correct about the location of the hinges. I've had mine at 70 MPH with no issues on the aileron hinges, and a friend has had his up to 89 MPH, so no worries there.

Brian
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #17
CB Flyer

Hey dumo01,

i received the kit only 2 days ago and since i've had 2 days off, i've nearly finished all of the building. I just couldn't stop working on it. I was wondering if you could post some pics of the hinges (How you attached the ailerons to the Main wing, and how you attached the rudder and elevator to the stabalisers) if it's not too much trouble. This is my first ever kit build and i'm just a bit confused even after reading the instructions.

thanks. Also, i'll post some pictures of mine soon
Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #18
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by CB Flyer View Post
Hey dumo01,

i received the kit only 2 days ago and since i've had 2 days off, i've nearly finished all of the building. I just couldn't stop working on it. I was wondering if you could post some pics of the hinges (How you attached the ailerons to the Main wing, and how you attached the rudder and elevator to the stabalisers) if it's not too much trouble. This is my first ever kit build and i'm just a bit confused even after reading the instructions.

Hi CB Flyer most people use CA Hinges on Balsa. hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...?article_id=55

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1180

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #19
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #20
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

and here is how you make Tape hinges for Foam Planes.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #21
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

CA Hinges & use thin CA Glue

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...4-3-4-x-1.html

Old 02-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #22
CB Flyer

thanks so much for those links chellie. Much appreciated.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #23
dumo01
dumo01

Hey dumo01,

CB

Sounds like yours is going well. Looking forward to the pics.

Would be happy to post pics of the aileron attached to the wings... as soon as I do that. Looks like Chellie put up a number of links on hinging which will probably hit what you are looking for, I am not planning anything unusual, CA hinges for all surfaces. The only thing I did a little different which may or may not turn out to be useful was to cut the hinge slots for the elevator and rudder before I sanded and covered the tail surfaces. I was hoping that having the square edge on the wood might help to get the hinge slot square and centered which I problems with on my last build. I also used the Dubro hinge slotting kit:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE230&P=0

a knife works, but for me at least I thought I got a better result with this tool set. I think it is better, I guess time will tell.

I have had a number of other things going on and have not had the time to sit down and make a lot of progress on the plane. Just finished with the covering and that took me about two weeks to get the time in to do that.
Bright yellow with black trim, I have a black spinner I am going to use and am trying to decide if I want the cowl yellow or black, leaning toward the black but not sure.
I think getting the control surfaces hinged will be the next step, but I may do some of the trim things I have in mind next , some of those might be easier to do while the stabs are not fastened on the fuse.

My goal is to have the plane done for our club show March 19 which I think will be very doable. I will be taking a weeks vacation the last week in Feb and the wife will be out of town so with just me and the dogs I should be able to get a lot done on the plane.

Will try to post a couple pics this evening when I get home
Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #24
CB Flyer

Thanks so much for that. I might just use an x-acto knife and do a few tests on a few bits of scrap. So for those ca hinges, all you have to do is peel off the little covering right? then slot them in to place like in that video above and use a few drops of 5 minute epoxy?

I can't wait to see how your covering looks. I haven't chosen what design i'll use for the firestorm but if i can't think of anything good, i may go with the design that mountain models has on their firestorm page which looks pretty awesome.

Sorry, i have one more question. When you build the two elevators, there is an elevator joiner which is made out of basswood. There seems to be two slots on either side of the basswood joiner which lines up with two other slots on the elevators. I was just wondering what those two slots are for???

I'll get some pics up tonight (I live in Australia)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0285.jpg jjbjb.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	143144
Old 02-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #25
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Thanks so much for that. I might just use an x-acto knife and do a few tests on a few bits of scrap. So for those ca hinges, all you have to do is peel off the little covering right? then slot them in to place like in that video above and use a few drops of 5 minute epoxy?

I can't wait to see how your covering looks. I haven't chosen what design i'll use for the firestorm but if i can't think of anything good, i may go with the design that mountain models has on their firestorm page which looks pretty awesome.

Sorry, i have one more question. When you build the two elevators, there is an elevator joiner which is made out of basswood. There seems to be two slots on either side of the basswood joiner which lines up with two other slots on the elevators. I was just wondering what those two slots are for???

I'll get some pics up tonight (I live in Australia)
You Want to use Thin CA or Thin Super Glue, not epoxy, epoxy wont wick into the wood, use 3 to 4 drops or more if needed,

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft