Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
mentor

Friends: (0)
Default Tape for control surface hinges???

To keep my electric glider light I would like to use something like scoth double sided transparent tape for attaching control surfaces to the glider BUT if I used double sided tape it would leave adhesive exposed to the elements, dirt collectors etc. For example a strip of tape would be on the top of the wing and the bottom of the aileron. I guess I could removed the exposed adhesive with alcohol etc. Any suggestions on how this is done would be appreciated. Is there a product on the r/c market especially made for hinges?
Thanx
Don
Old 12-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Don,

Use Blenderm (surgical tape). It works great for hinges. Here's one sorce:

http://xtremepowersystems.net/prodde...?prod=XPS-TAPE

Here's how you do it. First, make sure your control surface only has a single 45 angle on the leading edge (versus a v-shaped leading edge). Attach a length of Blenderm to the top of the control surface. Make sure you have only half the tape touching the leading edge, with the other half in front.

Next, carefully place the control surface against the trailing edge of the wing or tail, with the control surface in the fully deflected down position (the angled edge should be flush with the trailing edge). Then secure the Blenderm to the top of the trailing edge.

Next, flip the wing/tail over and bend back the control surface until you have a flat surface. Then apply a piece of Blenderm to that side.

When completed you will have a completely sealed hinge line. This method can also be done with iron on covering as well.

PS - I deleted your duplicate thread in the float plane section.

Pat Gagnon
Old 12-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Yes - Blenderm tape works well for hinge material.

3M makes it...

I would not use double sided, it serves no purpose other than the mess you point out.

Mike
Old 12-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Pat beat me to it by a sec.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Friends: (6)

http://www.qualitymedicalsupplies.co...73-BD/88-15251

Jeff/LAX
(don't panic - I don't land the planes)
(but I've been known to lie.....)
Old 12-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
mentor

Thanx for your help. I have been building and flying model planes for 50 years and there is always something new to learn.
Don
Old 12-31-2010, 05:37 AM   #7
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

Question: Does it matter if the tapered edges (and the "V" created from their "mating") is on the top or the underside of the wing? Or H-stab?

I'm going to assume this one-edge-taper method can't be used on a vertical stab/rudder.

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 12-31-2010, 05:48 AM   #8
hillbillynamedpossum
Rode the short bus

View hillbillynamedpossum's Gallery5
Club: Is under the seat
Friends: (8)

I like to put the flat side oppisite the control horn on a push pull setup. That way there is a little tension pulling the control rod. From an aerodynamic standpoint I dont think it matters more than a poot in a whirlwind.

Possum

Founder, Chief Builder, Head Designer, an Lead Test Pilot of Possum Holler Aircraft Company. (A made up company that transforms styrofoam into packing peanuts, and balsa wood into toothpicks)
Old 12-31-2010, 06:17 AM   #9
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Here's how I do mine. Flat edge always on top and gets taped first. Then fold back the control surface and tape the bottom.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinge method.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	141169  

Pat Gagnon
Old 12-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Don,

Use Blenderm (surgical tape). It works great for hinges. Here's one sorce:
In fact, I bought some at my LHS in a package labeled Electrical Plane Hinge Tape.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
Tenderfoot

Default Tape questions

I want to do a woodie with this system. Got the tape, got the 45 in the right place, want to cover it with Monokote.

1. tape over or under the monokote?
2. if under how do you fix the raw edge of the monokote or shouldn't I worry about that.
3. The stickum on the tape doesn't seem to be really super or is there so much surface area that it doesn't have to be supper.
4. When I used the mono sealing iron on the tape it seemed to do a bit better against raw wood but not over the mono, which is this the way to go?
5. can I treat the mono or the wood with something else first that makes a really great bond?

I will appreciate all your suggestions, since I really don't have a clue.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

It goes over the covering.

#3 - I have no idea what you are talking about??
You don't need or use an iron on the tape. Are you talking about using a covering hinge?

Sorry confused???
Old 01-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
Tenderfoot

I bought some Bleinderm tape to use for a hinge. When I take the protective cover off the tape for use the amount and type of "stickum" doesn't seem siufficient to do the job long term. So part of my problem is how to make this stuff stay stuck long term.

Sorry that my lack of understanding of the technical terms and methhods is a bit confusing, but from where I am it's really bad.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Mine has had plenty of adhesive and sticks to covering very well. It is never super sticky however.

Mine has never had protective covering, just a standard roll of tape. The tape is very elastic - is yours that way? Are you sure you got the right stuff?
Old 01-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #15
Tenderfoot

No, I am not sure. I was just looking up the place that I got it from and since I have a new computer some of my old files didn't transfer. I bought it from a web site that only sold some specilized products for sailplanes. They only had maybe a 1/2 dozen or so items and one of them was hinge tape. As I remember it was about $5 for 10' and $.30 cents a foot beyond 10'. When I inquired about payment I was told that an invoice would come with the tape and I could pay it after receiving the tape. I figured anybody that did business that way could be trusted to send my the right stuff.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #16
A10FLYR

Just use it over the covering so that it is easy to replace. #3...It does have plenty of "stickum"...I didn't think so when I first tried it but it will work.

Dean,
A10FLYR
Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #17
Huffy01
Huffy01

Friends: (2)

You can use monokote for hinges as well. One method of attaching it is the same as using tape.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #18
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

Originally Posted by Huffy01
You can use monokote for hinges as well. One method of attaching it is the same as using tape.
Now that brings up a possability. If you plan on using the covering material as hinge material then why not cover the wing and control surfaces and hinge them at the same time?

for example, suppose you're doing the tail feathers. Lay out the finished (and beveled) H-stab, and the elevator in their final position and tack both in place with a single sheet of MonoCote (or covering of your choice), turn the assembly over and cover the bottoms with the second sheet. Again, one piece. Seal and shrink.

Finished! The wing and elevator are now both covered and hinged as a single piece.

Or am I just distling wixie?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #19
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

You're just distling wixie. You need to fully cover the surfaces first, then apply the covering hinges the same as the tape hinge, except you iron the covering down as well. It also helps to add a little adhesive just in case.

Pat Gagnon
Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #20
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

Thanks

Oh I wish I were back
in the land of cotton,
Old times there
are not forgotten,
Look away, look away...

Old 01-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #21
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

I use ordinary clear packing tape. If it is 2" wide I cut it to 1".

I typically put one piece on the inside of the hinge line, then one on the outside. Works great. Has never let go. See diagram in post 9.

When the tape gets old it might start to peel. So I just strip it off and redo. Lasts for years.

Monokote and similar coverings work great too and are virtually invisible.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 01-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #22
UglyNet

View UglyNet's Gallery12

I think packing tape is a little prone to tearing rather than stretching. I wouldn't advise it on primary flight controls but I have used it for spoiler hinges in a pinch. I used clear surgical tape similar to Blenderm than I found at the local CVS pharmacy. I believe the stuff I got was Johnson & Johnson and it is about 1" wide with a little texture in it similar to loosely woven fabric. I use this stuff for all my hinges including my DLGs and the 2m ships that go up the hi-start and even the winch. I haven't used it for more than a season but they all seem to be holding up well. Much better than covering hinges I attempted to use in the past. I keep a roll of tape in my flight bag just in case but I haven't had to replace a hinge yet.

Tim in Texas
2M Chrysalis & Chrys E - 20 year old Sophisticated Lady
Quick Flicarus Too - QF-II fuse, Icarus 1.2M wing
Urban Kaos - Scratch built inspired by 65% Bridi Kaos by Joe Jopling
Old 01-31-2011, 03:26 AM   #23
57sailplane
Motorcalc Junky

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (1)

Hy,

i have one for you guys. its much stronger and much cleaner in mechanics but dose not look quite as nice. this hinge dose not allow for flutter and moves so easy.

i got this from learning to DS. it is a tape hinge. this is how i make it. you can start with any 2" tape i prefer the packing tape as its strong. i have only had these hinges rip in a real hard crash and they are easy to replace.

first tape down a piece of wax paper to your table larger then your control surface only taping the corners as you want to be able to remove the paper from the table easily later.

next pull off a piece of tape that is a bit longer then the control surface you intend on hinging and lay it face up. then tape each end of this piece down to the wax paper. you should now have a piece of tape with the exposed side up a little longer then your control surface.

next pull off another piece of tape the length of the exposed tape on the table. now over lay this piece face down length wise overlapping the tape on the table a little wider then the leading edge thickness of your control surface. say your control surface is a 1/4" thick at the leading edge, make the overlap at least a 1/4" or a tad more. press this piece down firmly to the other tape and the wax paper.

you now have a choice of either laying a strip of wax paper over the exposed piece of tape or just leaving it and be careful.

next cut the wax paper from the table and cut excess paper away from the outer edge of tape leave like a 1/2" so you can remove the wax paper easily later. now cut the tape perpendicular to the lengthwise into 1 or 2 inch strips or smaller it just becomes more work the smaller you go but makes for a stronger hinge.

now you should have a lot of pieces of tape with wax paper on the one side and end and sticky on the other side and end.

here comes the hard part. i usually tape one end and the middle of the control surface to the wing your are hinging it to using masking tape now when i do this i tape it so the control surface dose not move up and down or any were. you want it in the fixed neutral state.

now take one of the waxed tape pieces starting at the far end of the control surface and slide the wax end through the crevice of the hinge. slide it all the way down to were the exposed tape start to touch the wing. make sure this edge of exposed tape matches the edge of wing and press it down onto the wing.

now turn the wing over and remove the wax paper and press it down. make sure that everything is in the neutral position when you press this second side down.

now do this hole process again but start from this side that you just finished. so it will be just the opposite of the last piece.

you repeat this back and forth taping tell you are at the other end.

i hope this makes since and good luck

later Andrew K

I am a Speed Freak!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:02 AM   #24
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

A video (or at least a series of photos) of that would be appreciated; I'm not that good with word pictures.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #25
57sailplane
Motorcalc Junky

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (1)

kk,

i was not going to get out the camera unless there were some interest so pictures are to come. hope i can get it clear enough.

later Andrew K

I am a Speed Freak!!!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes