Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
sschevel

Friends: (0)
Default R/C transmitter mods question

Ok, first some background.
Started flying in late 80's;
PT40 Loved it and could hold inverted flight while circling field! Crashed friends and rebuilt it for him.

Took a break until mid 90's
Flying Sig Skybolt (best plane I ever had) Put in Tiger 61 and it flew like a champ! Moved up to an 8UAP radio. Later traded radio for a SAAB.
Had some 8 foot wing plane with weed eater engine, fun and slow!
Went through a 4 star 40 and passed it along to the next guy!

Now holding a DareDevil biplane (I love those biplanes) and waiting for summer!
But more to the TX mod question.
I ended up with one of those R/C kit knock offs this Christmas and of course it comes in Mode 1 with throttle and combination elevator / aileron (can not think of correct term here) on the RIGHT stick. The left stick has elevator only, and the worst part is the elevator is push up to make craft go "up", and pull down to make craft go "down".

I've been inside TX before and moved some things around changing modes and such so I thought I would take a peek since there is NO channel reversing. It appears that I can easily change the "ratchet" for the throttle from one stick to the other and move the spring centering arm to the other side. Thus getting my sticks to;
Right = elevator and the elevator/aileron combo
Left = throttle

Then if I pull the plugs on the PC board and change them (which is nothing more than changing channels) I would have the sticks controlling what I want them to control

Except for one thing.
Swapping the senors plugs (changing channels) I should have the advantage that I have now moved the sensor 180 on the elevator giving me the normal "pull down to go up" and that will make me happy
BUT
I will have also done a 180 on the throttle sensor, leaving the stick going up to shut down the prop! Not a safe way to have it.

Ok, finally the question, the sensor on the stick control appears to be a round rheostat with 3 lines Black, Blue, Red. (all three channels are using the same sensor and wired the same Black, Blue, Red).

Can I assume that blue is center or neutral and moving the stick into the RED or BLACK tells the PC what signal to send to the plane.

Will it be as simple as swapping the Black and Red so the sensor is now RED, BLUE, BLACK on the "reversed" throttle (after I swap channels)?

I would consider that swapping the two plugs might have no effect on their direction except for the fact that moving the stick up turns one clockwise and would turn the other counter clockwise.

And after trying to explain all this I think I may have my answer, looking at the rheostat on one stick and then the other stick,, the wiring is 180 out if I look at them top down, so I guess I just need to swap the black and red, swap the plugs on the board (change channel as I put it), swap the ratchet over and the spring bar over and I should be MODE 2 and much happier.

Sorry for the long text, I come from a medical field, not electronic field!

Guy
Old 01-02-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
sschevel

Default No comments?

69 views and not a single comment?

I thought I might get flamed by now or perhaps a suggestion or two, something!

Oh and as I was thinking about my old planes, I did forget to mention a Citabira that was real fun as well!

Guy
Old 01-02-2011, 02:12 AM   #3
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Let me try to get your post on a better part of the site as this is a bit tech for the beginners Topic,, I'm not familiar with your TX but their some here who are I'm sure, hang in there! bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

It think I kinda know where you are getting at.
Oh and first, elevator/aileron combined is elevon.

Yeah flipping the wires on the pots will change their operation 180.

Like when you take a servo apart to reverse it. You cross the power leads on the servo motor, and you have to swap the two outer wires on the servo pot to make it all work right.

Something you may have to do if you can't get the throttle channel flipped on the tx.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,173 Times in 2,081 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (313)

Hi SSchevel and Welcome to Wattflyers IMHO dont evem mess around with that Transmitter if it does not have Servo Reversing, sell it, and get a Nice radio thats already set up on mode 2, has servo reversing, and mixing, You will be doing Yourself a big favor and preventing a lot of headaches for yourself, JR, Futaba, Hitec are some nice radios, spektrum is ok, but 2.4 has some issues that you have to be aware of, Myself i like a JR Transmitter on 72Mhz with a BERG receiver, best trouble free combo I have ever used, Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
sschevel

Default Change radio

I will say the one radio I miss the most was an old Futaba AM on channel 54. Oh the guys at the field in Milton FL just hated channel 54 and would jump up and down saying some pager would go off and crash their plane so no one had channel 54 leaving it all for me! I never had one bit of trouble with it.
I later stepped up to the 8UAP and I sort of wish I had that radio now and it seemed that there was an adapter that allowed you to select what channel you wanted (not a Futaba part).........But it has been long gone.

As for this current issue, I slightly messed up what it goes to. It is one of those knock off R/C Kite things as a "close out" for 70 bucks. A much easier price than some 800 for the "original or real" one. Anyway it was a gift so I will attempt to enjoy it anyway. It could prove interesting and educational at the same time.

Trying to get it off mode 1 and over to mode 2 and I believe that my thinking is sound and should work just fine.

Still snow on the ground here and my small back yard is surrounded with trees so it will be a no go until the park or school yard looks more inviting anyway.

If I feel that I might be falling back into R/C flight "again" I will get a real radio in the future, otherwise if I am only going to hit a park now and then, this will do for now. I am not really looking to get involved with a club again and deal with those issues, just for some afternoon fun here and there.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions!
Guy
Old 01-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Awards Showcase

1kW 

All it takes is a little scratch on that itch that comes back, and they pull you back in. LOL!

Suggestion, with many folks switching to 2.4 you can pick up some really great deals on excellent used transmitters in the 72 system, and even lower channel count 2.4's.

I picked up a Multiplex 7 with a frequency changing module for $25.00. A $600.00 transmitter! Even has modules you can add to run 2.4 and even built in frequency check so that it won't transmit if it picks up someone else on that same channel. If someone at the field is using the channel I'm on, I just pop a different crystal in the rx and switch the tx and go fly.
I love it!
Going from Futaba 72 and JR/Spektrum 2.4 it was a steep learning curve, as Multiplex uses German logic vs Asian logic in programming. You have to unlearn all you know about programming, but once you get the hang of it, their way of doing things blows the Asian way out of the water.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by sschevel View Post
Ok, first some background.
Started flying in late 80's;
PT40 Loved it and could hold inverted flight while circling field! Crashed friends and rebuilt it for him.
Sorry for the long text, I come from a medical field, not electronic field!

Guy
I've messed around inside those transmitters to many times, back in the very early days. Nowdays, you can buy a far better radio system for 10
% of what those old radios cost, and they are far far more reliable.

As for the 2.4 Ghz, many people knock them, but they do work, and work very well.

Check out the entry level Spektrum transmitter/receiver combo:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM5500
Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
sschevel

Default Radio

Sure a new radio would be great and likely the best solution. However at this time I have not been involved with electronic or electric flight. I still have not removed the kite from the box either.

Looking at this radio, the freq is confusing to me. The cover over the crystal says 27.225T. Unless I am wrong, this is a CB frequency and likely would not be allowed on a club field by a club member. This would force the purchase of the better radio and perhaps change of the Rx as well?
Again I am not ready for that jump just yet, I have to balance time, a place to fly, family, school, and finding a job. You know, all those usual life things.

Right now it is more fun and a bit of learning in modifying the current radio to get some use out of it and I can swap some wires, springs, ratchet mech, and a plastic bar inside the case for no cost while your option (the better one) is costing $100.

Again, thanks for the suggestions and thoughts, they are good for discussion and making me think about it at the same time. I have to learn a bit more about electronic flight!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #10
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Hmm, for a gasser, if your throttle control is reversed, can't you just remove and rotate the servo arm 180 degrees, and adjust the linkage or move the servo as required?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,173 Times in 2,081 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (313)

Originally Posted by sschevel View Post
Sure a new radio would be great and likely the best solution. However at this time I have not been involved with electronic or electric flight. I still have not removed the kite from the box either.

Looking at this radio, the freq is confusing to me. The cover over the crystal says 27.225T. Unless I am wrong, this is a CB frequency and likely would not be allowed on a club field by a club member. This would force the purchase of the better radio and perhaps change of the Rx as well?
Again I am not ready for that jump just yet, I have to balance time, a place to fly, family, school, and finding a job. You know, all those usual life things.

Right now it is more fun and a bit of learning in modifying the current radio to get some use out of it and I can swap some wires, springs, ratchet mech, and a plastic bar inside the case for no cost while your option (the better one) is costing $100.

Again, thanks for the suggestions and thoughts, they are good for discussion and making me think about it at the same time. I have to learn a bit more about electronic flight!
I belive your Crystal is for a 27 MHz AM Radio, best to stay away from AM get a Newer FM 72 MHz transmitter, with a BERG receiver, you will be Glad you did, AM might GLITCH like Crazy with the RFI That E-Power Generates, Hope that Helps, Chellie

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190481103206

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-07-2011, 04:21 AM   #12
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Yep that's a 27 mhz radio not a 72, and more then likely it's am. What a lot of the early RTF's came with. Don't even waste your time with it. A lot of clubs won't even allow them as they are so prone to interference. Bummer as your rx in the plane is going to be am also, and more then likely the servos and such will be proprietary and won't fit with anything else.

Just a thought, you can pick up a HobbyZone Champ RTF for under $100.00. Comes with a four channel 2.4 tx. You could at least use that for any of the Micro birds that Horizon puts out. And the Champ is a great little bird right out of the box.

Be a good starter that would allow you to move on to harder flying micros, and if the bug is still there, you can pick up a new 5 channel Spektrum for $60.00 or go with a used great tx for around a similar prices and move up to bigger birds.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners