Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)
Default Nice problem to have...

My birthday is coming up and my wife asked me what I wanted as a gift. In fact, this is what she said: "I guess you want *sigh* *rolling eyes* another plane *sigh*...".

Well, I was about to wish for some kitchen gadget or something for the house to look all family oriented and goody-twoshoes, but now that she brought the subject up herself...

So the question is: What do I want? I'd say I'm doing pretty well with my Champ now. I'm doing some simple aerobatics already (stalls, loops, half-loops with rudder rolls, etc).The Super Cub still needs to be assembled, but I'm hoping of taking it for a spin today. I'm pretty confident I'll be flying it ok now that it's fixed (fingers crossed) and I've logged some time on the Champ.

All that being said, I think my next plane should be a 4 channel. I might not be ready for it this second, but I have no problem letting it sit in the garage for a few weeks/months. I've been flying the Dynam HawkSky in the simulator and I REALLY like it. The question is, would that be too small a step up from the Champ and the Super Cub? If I'm buying something that's going to be my "next" plane and sit on the shelf until I'm "ready", should I go for something one step more advanced?

(And it's absolutely ridiculous how quickly you get addicted to this hobby. Crack is a joke compared to this!!!)
Old 12-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

If you like micros, the Parkzone UM T-28 is a great plane to learn 4 channel with. Otherwise, if you want a larger plane you might pick up an e-Flite Apprentice, which has received some great ratings and is used as a trainer by many clubs.

Personally I'm not going to be able to resist the T-28 for my first 4 channel. Micros just give you tons of stick time because you can just walk out the door and fly. I find that the close-in flying is also very enjoyable.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

howdy neighbor, it's time for you to get a grip on your addiction to RC flying...highly recommend you join a support group[local club]and get some help.. for me 3 years of counseling from other addicts have had great results....i'm down to 14 flyable planes and several that need repairs....if my addiction really was a problem I'd be ordering $350 worth of stuff from hk as my birthday is tuesday.......[help me...i just pushed the pay now button]

as far as the next plane gose...i would take it up a notch or two and wait till your comfortable to fly it. money can be a problem when we allow this hobby to scare us into stepping up to increase into more challenging birds to fly,so buy a plane that will be a challenge to fly and who knows ..by valentines day,fathers day,or annerversay,easter...ect..ect...you'll have added 10 new birds to your hanger this year alone..lol..........

once you've built the basement shop to work on the fleet be sure to lock the door so know one knows how badly your addicted to the hobby...and destroy all reciets....gotta go....wife just entered the room.....

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
SHADY
Got Glue??

Friends: (4)

If it were me, I would wish for a Full size T28... Save the Kitchen gadgets for her birthday...

Confucius say: "Man who go to bed wif itchy butt, may wake up wif smerry finga."
Old 12-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
My birthday is coming up and my wife asked me what I wanted as a gift. In fact, this is what she said: "I guess you want *sigh* *rolling eyes* another plane *sigh*...".
Lucky Man

My wife thinks that my models need wings, but she is not certain about that.

But, after 48 years of marriage, we pretty much buy what we want for Christmas ourselves, that way we won't be disappointed!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

One more requirement: I want it to handle a little bit of wind. Where I live, it's almost never completely calm. I've found that The Champ flies best when it's calm. It's ok in some wind, but even in a light breeze I find myself struggling against the wind more than I'm flying. It's not that it's not flyable, but it's not as fun.

So I guess micros are out. What can I get that can handle a little wind, has 4 channels and that I don't have to wait three years before I'm ready to fly?
Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

If you want to take it a different direction, the Parkzone Radian is a great plane which you'd have no trouble handling, provided you've got a big enough space to bring it down in.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #8
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc

I have not flown your Champ, but went from a Super Cub to a full size T28 and it seems like a good transition. A good step up in speed and added the ailerons, and deals with more wind pretty well. And as with all the foamies is very repairable to deal with the learning curve
I thought I saw that the T28 had been released again in the original white as well as new gray color scheme. I thought my white bird was easier to see, especially if it is cloudy, but not a huge issue.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:56 AM   #9
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 

There's also the value-tastic Hawk Sky. People seem to really love this plane.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:01 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Ok , Here is your next plane Rockin Robins , Shady and Dumo01 have it Right

T-28 Trojan by Parkzone, on sale 55" Wingspan
http://www.xenonproject.com/rc-airpl...aign=shopzilla

http://www.daveshobbycentral.com/pro...ategory_id=237

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-01-2011, 03:51 AM   #11
SHADY
Got Glue??

Friends: (4)

If you go for a larger plane, you will need to get yourself a nice transmitter.
If you get something like a DX6 or above, you can fly your UMs with it too...
Maybe you should wish for a nice Tx ...???

Confucius say: "Man who go to bed wif itchy butt, may wake up wif smerry finga."
Old 01-01-2011, 03:51 AM   #12
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Yes m'am. What can I do but obey?
Old 01-01-2011, 03:55 AM   #13
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Shady, I have a dx5e, so I'm ok on the tx front right now. But an upgrade to dx6 is probably next on the list. Tax refund... hmmm....
Old 01-01-2011, 04:11 AM   #14
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Shady, I have a dx5e, so I'm ok on the tx front right now. But an upgrade to dx6 is probably next on the list. Tax refund... hmmm....
get a new DX6i, the older DX6i had some issues with them, incase you are thinking about buying a used 2.4 radio, they are a nice radio, also always use a UBEC with a 2.4 radio to prevent a low voltage brown out and loosing control of your plane, a common problem with 2.4 radios, a UBEC is cheap insurance to have, Take care and Happy New Years to You and Yours, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-01-2011, 04:26 AM   #15
TylerJCooper

Club: Attempted to start an Omaha Park Club (Aeronuts)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
get a new DX6i, the older DX6i had some issues with them, incase you are thinking about buying a used 2.4 radio, they are a nice radio, also always use a UBEC with a 2.4 radio to prevent a low voltage brown out and loosing control of your plane, a common problem with 2.4 radios, a UBEC is cheap insurance to have, Take care and Happy New Years to You and Yours, Chellie
Sorry to butt into the thread. I don't have much for recommendations. The T-28 is sweet. I personally just got a FunJet, which eats wind for breakfast. The reason I am mainly butting in is to ask about the DX6i.

Chellie, I currently have a DX6(not i) and am wanting to buy a used "i". How do I know if I am getting a good DX6i buying one with problems?

Sir Isaac Newton had an apple, I have a plane.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #16
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by TylerJCooper View Post
Sorry to butt into the thread. I don't have much for recommendations. The T-28 is sweet. I personally just got a FunJet, which eats wind for breakfast. The reason I am mainly butting in is to ask about the DX6i.

Chellie, I currently have a DX6(not i) and am wanting to buy a used "i". How do I know if I am getting a good DX6i buying one with problems?
here you go Tyler
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/A...ArticleID=1901

Spektrum DX6i Recall Consumer Notice
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009
Provider Name:
Issue: </B>
Copyright: 2009 Horizon Hobby, Inc.

Attention DX6i Owners

Product Recall: Spektrum DX6i transmitters with date codes 807E, 808E, 809E, 810E, 811E, 812E, and 901E

Note: If your transmitter DOES NOT have a date code, it DOES NOT need to be sent in.

Please continue to do normal pre-flight and monitor tests according to your product manual and the January 30th service bulletin.
On January 30, 2009, Horizon Hobby, Inc. issued a service bulletin for Spektrum DX6i transmitters due to a concern of potential issues with stick potentiometers. Consumers were strongly advised to conduct a test to see if symptoms of these potential issues were present.
After closely monitoring the situation, Horizon has determined that we need to physically inspect all DX6i transmitters with date codes containing 807E, 808E, 809E, 810E, 811E, 812E, and 901E, including those ending in "US", :"UK", or "DE". The date code will be found inside the battery compartment.

If your DX6i has one of these date codes
  • Stop using your transmitter.
  • Click here for return form with specific country instructions.
  • If you have any questions, you can call us at 877-504-0233
  • Due to the possibility of replacement, please document for your own records any model programs prior to shipping.
  • Only the transmitter needs to be returned. Please remove any batteries prior to shipping.
  • Horizon will pay for all ground shipping within the United States and Canada.
  • Each transmitter will be inspected for the issue, repaired or replaced if necessary, and returned as soon as possible. We will work as quickly as possible, but we ask for your patience.
  • Inspected, repaired, or replaced DX6i transmitters will have date codes ending in "CM", "LH", "HA", or "X". No further action will be needed on transmitters with those suffixes. If your transmitter does not have a date code, it is not affected by this recall.
  • Consumers outside the US and Canada should contact their local retailer or distributor. International distributors may be found here.
  • You may also e-mail the Horizon Hobby Product Support team and please put "DX6i Transmitter Recall" in the subject line and include your shipping address, daytime phone number, and the date code from your DX6i. Click here to email product support.
If your DX6i does not have the listed date code
  • If your transmitter does not have a date code, it is not affected by this recall.
  • DX6i owners whose transmitters do not have the above date codes are still advised to follow the January 30th service bulletin.
  • As with all R/C aircraft, please check your controls prior to each flight.
Horizon Hobby and the Spektrum team apologize for this inconvenience. Your safety and enjoyment of the hobby are our first and foremost priority.

Spektrum

If you have any questions, please call 877-504-0233.

Return to Top

Old 01-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #17
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Watched some videos and it seems awfully fast. Is a 5 acre park enough space for it?
Old 01-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #18
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Watched some videos and it seems awfully fast. Is a 5 acre park enough space for it?
The t-28 will slow down to a crawl my rc club members have them, and they are nice, our student pilots have no problems with them, some rc flight schools use them for RC trainers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqT0w...eature=related

Old 01-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #19
TylerJCooper

The T-28 would be fine in that space. The FunJet could fly in that area, but it might make your hair stand up a few times before you get use to it. This is the first pusher jet I started with. It was a great price, unlimited vertical, and I could fly it out of my front yard. However, it isn't the best long term plane.

The Plane
The Power System

It will do about 50 mph, so it can handle wind. You can also fly at 10 mph, so you don't have to worry about space. I ended up taking the power system off the Yardbird and put it into my FunJet, which moved the speed up to 70 mph. However, the vertical is very limited.

Shopping is half the fun of buying.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #20
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Ok , Here is your next plane Rockin Robins , Shady and Dumo01 have it Right

T-28 Trojan by Parkzone, on sale 55" Wingspan
http://www.xenonproject.com/rc-airpl...aign=shopzilla

http://www.daveshobbycentral.com/pro...ategory_id=237

I think this is a 47'" wing span, not 55" correct? Or am I missing something here?

A pre-flight check is better than a post crash analysis
Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptGroovy#p/u
My Blog: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=239855
Old 01-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #21
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by AirmanAirhead View Post
I think this is a 47'" wing span, not 55" correct? Or am I missing something here?
The parkzone t-28 is around 47" W/S , here is the one with the 55" W/S, sorry about that
http://www.nitroplanes.com/t28-troja...ird-plane.html

Old 01-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #22
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Just got back from some really bad and sloppy flying. Happy I was flying a slow micro and not a fast low-wing monster... I think I need more practice before I even think of flying one of those birds...
Old 01-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #23
TylerJCooper

Just got back from some really bad and sloppy flying. Happy I was flying a slow micro and not a fast low-wing monster... I think I need more practice before I even think of flying one of those birds...
That is great discernment. I wish I would have had that!

Old 01-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #24
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

My excuse is that this was the first time I showed off my "skills" to my family. My wife got bored after 30 seconds, my three year old son thought it was pretty cool and his twin sister just said: "Girls don't like to fly planes. They just want to be pretty". (And I've really TRIED to tell them that there are really no boy-games and girl-games...)
Old 01-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #25
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Send a message via AIM to FlyingMonkey
Awards Showcase

AP Contest Winner  AV Contest 
Friends: (24)

The T-28 is a great 2nd plane. It is rather stable for a low wing, but it will not self correct.

It will take a LOT more room to land, until you're comfortable with it.

The hardest thing for new pilots is that they (we... ) want to touch wheels down right in front of us, but then it rolls out well past where you're standing.

I had to practice (still do sometimes...) landing further out, then letting it roll to a stop in front of me, or just past where I am.

I have flown the micro T-28, and would highly recommend it to someone wanting to "step up".

Self proclaimed dictator of the Flite Test fan club.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners