Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-01-2011, 05:10 AM   #1
CFIT
Private, SEL

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (0)
Default mCX upgraded swash plate option for more maneuverability.

In researching mods for my newly acquired mCX2, it seems that one of the mods for the original mCX is extending the pivots on the swash plate. Turns out BLADE recognized this and gave the mCX2 a swash plate with 2 sets of pivots, beginner and advanced mode if you will. I put mine on the advanced setting and wowzers, turned the placid docile little mCX2 into much more aggressive, maneuverable beast.

Any how, for those with the original mCX, this swash plate may very well be a quick and easy upgrade with OE parts.
Here is the Excerpt and illustrated parts from the mCX2 manual.

Another part that may of interest to the mCX pilots is the mCX2 inner shaft W/hub assy. The somewhat fragile upper portion is now beefier and quite resilient to the rigors of Controlled Flight Into Terrain.

Paul (BRAAP) Ruschman
Rusch Motorsports

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...orts/Rusch.jpg
Old 01-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
texasclouds
Super Contributor

View texasclouds's Gallery472
Friends: (12)

thanks for the heads up. i bet this would fit onto my yellow mcx as well.

any problems with upper/lower blade contact with the increased movements? my red cx2 will slap blades if I get too wild (ends in a crash)

Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
CFIT
Private, SEL

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (0)

Have only flown it for a couple minutes in the more aggressive position, didn't experience any issues but I wasn't really swingin the sticks either.

Paul (BRAAP) Ruschman
Rusch Motorsports

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...orts/Rusch.jpg
Old 01-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

View Davethebluessinger's Gallery4
Club: Longdon Flying Club
Friends: (9)
Default mCX upgraded with mSR Swash Plate

Hi Guys, I hope no-one will mind me posting this link

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1157514

I just swapped my bog standard mCX swash plate for a new mSR swash plate (Part number EFLH3009) following these instructions and wow! What a difference it's made to the mCX!!!

No mods to the canopy required and the swash plate fits perfectly over the outer shaft.

As suggested by the author it's well worth repositioning the lower blade holder by drilling new fixing holes in the plastic holder and the outer shaft.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	166176_large.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	141596  

EFlight Mini Pulse XT, Durafly Dynamic S, Scratch Built 52" Pushycat, HK 330 Edge Profile, HK Mini Spirit, Thunder Tiger EHawk 1500.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Hmm, so is there really any difference between the MCX2 and MSR swashplates? I see they at least have a different part number.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

Hi,
Not sure about MCX2 V the MSR Swash - they look identical, but MCX and MSR are completely different parts.
The MSR swash has 2 sets of linkage balls each pair on differnt length arms, the longer arms give more tilt on the rotor so give you more movement in flight.
They are also different thicknesses, thats why you have to re drill the outer shaft to reposition the lower rotor, this then also repositions the swash plate to bring it level and square to the main shaft.
Just follow the instructions in the link - I guarantee you won't regret making this mod, it's so quick and cheap I can't believe they dont just introduce it as stock or maybe market it as an official hop-up!
My friend (very experienced with helis) has an MSR and reckons the step from an unmodified MCX to MSR is quite sharp, he's flown my modded MCX and reckons that it is lively enough to prepare you better for fixed pitch single rotor.
Take a look here to see my modded MCX (clip doesnt really show true flat out speed but you'll see a marked improvement over stock) and my mate flying his MSR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlr8YIVsVPk

EFlight Mini Pulse XT, Durafly Dynamic S, Scratch Built 52" Pushycat, HK 330 Edge Profile, HK Mini Spirit, Thunder Tiger EHawk 1500.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Thanks for the info and the video, bobthebluessinger. I guess I was just wondering if there was any functional difference between the MCX2 and MSR swashplates in regards for their use as an upgrade to the MCX. It looks to me like the MCX2 swash should do the same thing as the MSR's, only it's a drop-in replacement. I was wondering if the extra drilling and such was worth it. I learned from an instructor long ago to work like an electron: follow the path of least resistance.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #8
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Well, to anyone who's thinking about trying this, I went and picked up the EFLH2416 MCX2 swashplate, and it is NOT a drop-in replacement for the one in the MCX. When installed, the swashplate is tipped forward quite a bit, to where just moving the servos makes the anti-rotation pin to lift up out of the forks fits into aft of the rotor mast.

Looking from the side, it's apparent the MCX swashplate ball linkages that connect to the blades are higher than the ones on the MCX2 swashplate. So something else is different in the system. Comparing the MCX & MCX2 parts lists (My MCX paper manual vs MCX online parts list), the outer shaft & main gear, and lower rotor head and linkages are the same. Confusingly, the MCX2 parts list shows 2 sets of servo pushrods, one shared with the MCX, the other, MCX2 only. The main frame is also unique to the MCX2. So something in there changes the dynamics enough to deter my efforts at more fun factor.

I got her back together and flying well, and I'm done playing with this for tonight. I'll update with anything more if I try again later, and any help would be appreciated. I'll have to review the MSR swashplate upgrade instructions and see if any of it could apply here, or if I have to go get one of those instead.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:46 AM   #9
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)

Did you use the method outlined int the RC Groups link that Dave the blues has in post 4 above? It shows that you need to drill new holes in the main shaft to mount the blade head to compensate for the difference in the swash plate height. If you tried to use the original holes in the shaft that could cause what I think you are seeing.
I am not sure anymore if I used the mSR swash or the mCX2 swash plate,but they appeared to be the same to me.
In any case it is working fine, but I agree it is not a drop in mod.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

Hi guys,
yes you need to adjust the height of the lower rotor so that the swash sits level. I set mine up by eye and marked the position of the lower rotor holder on the outer shaft with a fine marker pen. Then I took it apart, positioned the holder level with my mark and using a very fine drill (0.3mm)drilled fresh holes through the rotor holder (yes the little plastic moulding) and into the outer shaft. Then using one of the self tapping screws that hold the rotor assembly together I cut a thread in the new holes in the outer shaft to give the tiny grub screw a start. Put everything back together using the new hole position and your swash plate should now be pretty level. My MCX flew without any further adjustment.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Thanks for the quick reply, guys. I'll look into it when I can. I'll say I am suprised something like this can be 'eyeballed' ! I figured this would be a real precision operation to get everything working right. Thanks for putting up with me!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters