Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
iFLYrc_Vic

Friends: (1)
Default 3-Blade Pusher Props

I am trying to go with a 3-blade propeller for scale looks and I like the sound of these props. I also want to have counter-rotating props.

I found that the Turnigy 11 X 8.5E 3-blade prop produces the desired results I want with my motor/battery combination. Unfortunately, Turnigy does not make a "pusher" prop in that size. Neither does anyone else. Master Air Screw has a 13 x 8 3-blade pusher but the next smaller size is a 12 x 6 3-blade pusher. I think the 13 x 8 will be over-propped and the 12 x 6 will be under-propped.

I have looked at GWS and APC props and found nothing in my desired size. I would even settle for a 12 x 8 3-blade. Does anyone know of a source for a 11 x 8, 12 x 8 or 12 x 7 3-blade pusher propeller (preferably electric)?

Thanks,
Vic

Vic - WebMaster iFLYrc
http://iflyrc.hypermart.net
Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Vic, take it from a P-38 freak. Bigger electric 3 blades in a counter rotating version are few and far between, other then custom like a Vario, brand.

http://www.eam.net/Varioprop/Vario%20Prop.htm

Or do like I do. Find a close prop with the right pitch and cut em down. And often it's a gas prop. I use the APC 15 x13 x3 all the time and cut it down to say a 14 to keep the amps in check.
You are only removing 1/2" off the tips and I've never had a problem. Just balance it afterwords.

And yes before I get jumped on, you are changing the way the prop performs but it's so small of a change you aren't going to notice it.

And I'm sure you know, a tractor blade mounted on a rear is a pusher. All you do is change the motor rotation to make it work.

Biggest thing why you don't see em is other then looks, on r/c they don't tend to have the influence on a craft like a full scale one does.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
iFLYrc_Vic

Default 3-blade Prop

Glacier Girl, we seem to run the same rivers. I have seen your replies here and other places. Good to hear from you.

I have never cut down a prop for fear I could not get it balanced again. I don't know if it is really worth the effort to get counter-rotation. I am only try to do it to minimize "P" factor effects and torque on a flame out. Most modelers say on a small plane less than a 90 size, it really does not matter AND electrics are more reliable so a "flame out" is less likely to occur.

Although my power system could handle the extra power that would result from a 13 X 8 3-blade, the amps would reduce flying time. I might just stick with the 11 X 8.5 with rotation in the same direction. Got to wait for the Spring to do the maiden anyhow.

Vic - WebMaster iFLYrc
Old 01-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Hobby people have some here is the link. They are hard to find Hobbypeople have a few. Might help you out some.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...s.html?cat=767
Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
iFLYrc_Vic

Thanks Gramps, they only have the Master Air Screw pushers I mentioned in my previous posting.

Vic - WebMaster iFLYrc
Old 01-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #6
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Vic what about wood? Check out Zinger.
They have a few in your range, both tractor/pusher set ups.
http://www.zingerpropeller.com/3_bladed_Propeller.htm

I have Zinger 16x8's on my Camel and DR1 and they work great. Just have to check the prop nut for tightness. Wood compresses.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #7
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Originally Posted by iFLYrc_Vic View Post
Thanks Gramps, they only have the Master Air Screw pushers I mentioned in my previous posting.
Should of paid attention to the detail my bad.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
eye4wings

Club: Hertford

Another alternative is to make up your own 3-blade props from Zinger (or other) wooden 2-bladers.
Takes me about an hour to make up a prop this way.
Saves me money and I can have any prop I like.
I can show you how if you fancy having a go.

Nice try - but no cigar!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions