Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Events, Shows and Fun Fly's - Electric Airplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Events, Shows and Fun Fly's - Electric Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
rnleeper

Friends: (0)
Default E/xpo in the UNI Dome - Feb 19 & 20, 2011 - Cedar Falls, IA

Indoor Electric Fly-In
February 19 & 20, 2011
At the UNI Dome in Cedar Falls, IA

9AM to 8PM (Saturday)
9AM to 5PM (Sunday)

Indoor Electric Fly-In - AMA required - Hugh flying area with 2.5 Acres of flying space and 162 foot ceiling. The UNI Dome has a hard roof with no fans or blowers inside, so it's perfect for everything from micro and slow park flyers to 3D and helicopters. Not only is the football field available for R/C flying, there's additional airspace over the seats on the East side of the stadium. (There's virtually no wall to hit on the far side of the field!) Free-flight flyers are also welcome. All fixed wing aircraft must have a flying weight of less than 25 ounces. Heli rotor limit of 355 mm. Check the web site for more details - www.expodome.org

Event will include Blue Ray Pylon Races. Blue Ray Pylon Racer kits available from Stan Sweet (sweet@cfu.net)

Sponsored by the Black Hawk R/C Pilots, AMA Club #792
Old 12-15-2010, 04:34 AM   #2
Gohmer
Banned

View Gohmer's Gallery28
Club: SMMAC / MARCEE / Duluth Superior RC
Friends: (5)

It's a great place to fly! I was there both days last year. Absolutely no supervision. Don't bring anything there to fly that you don't want destroyed
Old 12-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
rnleeper

Glad you had a good time flying at the UNI Dome. Not sure about your comment though. There have been very few mid-airs in the past. Even so, we are planning on some specific flying times for specific types of aircraft this year to eliminate or at least minimize the conflicts.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Gohmer
Banned

View Gohmer's Gallery28
Club: SMMAC / MARCEE / Duluth Superior RC
Friends: (5)
Smile

I didn't say I had a good time. All the mid-airs must have happened when you were out to lunch I saw 4 that involved my airplanes.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
JustPlaneSweet
Electric Noob

Club: Black Hawk RC Pilots

Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
It's a great place to fly! I was there both days last year. Absolutely no supervision. Don't bring anything there to fly that you don't want destroyed
[Ouch!]

Gohmer,

I am the CD for the event and I apologize if you had a bad experience there. It is a great place to fly and it is true that I have had difficulties getting volunteers from the club to give up the opportunity to fly to be Line Bosses.

This year should be less hectic. We have eliminated the reserved space for the free flight and gone back to a linear layout along the west bleachers. I have an additional Line Boss volunteer (thanks Kenny!) for the 3D/Heli area and I will cover the Micro/Circuit/Pylon area. There are three more Line Boss positions I will try to fill before the event.

I recommend that you use a spotter when you are flying. Four mid airs is pretty high. Please look me up this year and let me know what I can do to help.

Thanks for attending in the past. Please know that the Black Hawks and myself are trying very hard for the event to be enjoyable for everyone.

Stan Sweet
Contest Director
E-xpo in the UNI Dome
Old 01-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
JustPlaneSweet
Electric Noob

Club: Black Hawk RC Pilots

The schedule of events has been posted at www.expodome.org/schedule.htm. It is mostly open flying on both flight lines. The 3D area is reserved for heli flying for twenty minutes each hour and the circuit flying is interrupted for a short time each hour for "go fast" flying with the pylons. Four heats of Blue Ray racing are scheduled each day.

There was a request to slow down the Blue Rays but we are going to stick with the same prop and weight limits as published. The fastest plane will not necessarily win! The key to winning is to stay in control and keep your turns tight around the pylons. We have new electronics this year that will use the JudgeMan timing software provided by the NMPRA to simplify running the races.

I would like to fill up a 16 pilot bracket for each day of the Blue Ray racing. Shoot me an email to reserve your spot! Preference will go to preregistered pilots.

Happy flying!

Stan

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Events, Shows and Fun Fly's - Electric Airplanes