Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-03-2011, 04:50 AM   #1
Heli-Raiser

Friends: (0)
Default Parkzone Wildcat Prop Angle

I searched the forum and internet for this answer, but cant find any info, so here it is.

I just crashed my Wildcat today , Most of the cowling was broken up and I noticed the prop angle was facing towards the right side of the plane (from the rear). I was sure I bent or broke something (which I did...the motor mount) but as I checked it closer i saw that the motor mount -"mount" was visibly higher on the left side. It is molded that way, like it is supposed to make the prop angle that way. I found some pictures that I think show this, but I cant get them to load here.
The questions are: Did I break something? Is it supposed to be this way? Will someone who has one check and reply? And most importantly, if it is normal why did they do it?

I am pretty new to R/C and newer (lots) to fixed wing, any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 05:59 AM   #2
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Most RC planes, use right thrust to help the plane offset the complex effects from the prop, your plane may have down thrust as well, many, many planes use both.

Someone that flys that plane will be able to confirm exactly, what you should have.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Welcome to WattFlyer, and the world of RC flight!

The motor angle is correct. Because of the torque on smaller scale models, it is offset by mounting the motor to the right and down by about 3.

First time I got a Parkzone P-51 right after I started flying I thought the same as you, that something wasn't assembled correct. But it is.

Sorry to hear about the crash. But the hobby shop should have plenty of replacement parts.

Pat Gagnon
Old 01-03-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
Heli-Raiser

THANKS!! I thought I was right. Now it makes sense.
I've done about everything backwards in R/C so far. Messed with rotary wing for about 2 years and never really progressed. Now I finally woke up to the world of fixed wing, and love it. I know I got a little aggressive starting with the Wildcat, but I have about 25 hours on the sim and I've done really well so far. Just totally got away from me. Parts are ordered and I'll be ready to go by Wednesday!!!

P.s. I have a Flyzone Super Select Piper Cub that I got to start with but just couldn't wait to fly the Wildcat. I'll give that one a go tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
Monterey10

Club: RCBees
Send a message via Yahoo to Monterey10
Thumbs up Wildcat

I had the local expert buddy box my Wildcat. Seeing the plane charging down the soccer field at ? 65 mph gave me religion quick.

Buddy boxing the Wildcat let me take it and find just how fast and sensitive it is. When I was starting to loose it, the pro took over and brought it home. Thank you expert....

Old 01-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
Heli-Raiser

That is great advice!! I am planning to join a local club which I am sure I'll get the help I need there. I should have joined years ago, I'd be a lot further along. My crash was not bad at all, really. The fact that the plane just got so far away and there was nothing I could do but let it go was awful. Then the hour search (by the grace of God, I found it) was just as bad. I learned my lesson.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Finding and joining a local club is one of the best things you can do in this hobby. 98% of the people I have met in modeling are great, and I've been in it 51 years.

They will share their knowledge and help you learn, the buddy box systems have saved countless airplanes, I have had a buddy box trainer since 1972, and that is the only way I will train someone. They may be even more of a money saver in a heli, while learning to hover and basic flight, so search out who fly helis in you area, and you will get better with it also.

Don't feel to bad about letting your plane get too far away, every beginner I have seen flys super large patterns, as they are learning to make coordinated turns. After a while with a good instructor, you will be able to roll that Wildcat on it's side, grab up elev, and rip it around a corner.

I did the same darn thing when I was learning, once I hit a major power line, 1/4 mile from our field, with a large 69" RC plane, and once it took 7 days and 4 people to find my quicky 500 racing plane in a small forest.

I think most of us have done similar things, Welcome to the hobby.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
Heli-Raiser

Thanks for the "shared experiences", makes me feel better. The club I'm looking at is only about 5 miles away from me and I didn't even know they were there. They have a brand new flying field. I will attend their next meeting. I cant wait. I even got my AMA card, so I'm ready to go.
You guys are GREAT, I am now confident to post in the future, or join a chat. Wonderful experience for me!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics