Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-03-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
TylerJCooper

Club: Attempted to start an Omaha Park Club (Aeronuts)
Friends: (8)
Default Need help choosing my next tx

I wanted get your opinion on tx's. I have been saving for quite some time to get a new tx. I currently have a dx6(not i) that I bought from another Watthead. However, I want to move to something different because $40 for a AR6000 is steep and I anticipate they will stop making them in the next couple years. I have been saving for a newer dx(6i or 7), but am not sure if that is the best decision. Would you personally recommend staying with the 2.4 family or going to the FM family? I have two areas of focus.

I want to be able to purchase rx at a reasonable price. I currently have three planes and I am switching the same rx around.

I also am doing some AP, therefore, I would like something with a good range. The higher altitude the better.

Now the hard part. My price range is $100-$150. I would like this to be the last remote I buy, so I can focus my funds on more planes. When you have a chance, can you tell me your thoughts?

Sir Isaac Newton had an apple, I have a plane.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Every one has there own opinion about radio brands, it's almost a religion to some people.
For myself I like JR products, I like the way it seems to fit my hands, I have 4 JR tx's from a 5 ch F400, 2 - 8103's and a 9303. I fly all types of planes. I would suggest staying in the 2.4 band, Horizon Hobby, has no 72 band tx's in there new catalog, it seems to be the way of the future, and a friend of mine told me he has seen a growing trend in some contests, that they will not allow 72 band.

I have bought and used Spektrum compatible rx's from HK and had very good luck with them, no failures, even flying their 4ch single antenna rx at well over 1000' distance.
I have about 5 off brand rx's in 2.4, but I fly them in mostly foamies, in critical high value airplanes, I will only fly true Spektrum rx's.

In the $100-$150 range, I think you will be forced to look for good used equipment. If you stay in the hobby, and don't quit, you will be buying a better radio later. 3 times I have bought what I thought was the ultimate radio.

Good luck, Fly high, Land soft

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Club: C.D.P.A.
Friends: (2)

Here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1364038

Brand new DX7 Air for $180. High quality radio at a great price. Pair it with Hobby City Orange Rx's, you'll have a cheap alternative.

If you can't swing that, keep your eye out for a used one. Rino (the guy selling the new one) is driving down the used market prices.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Catalina

Friends: (0)

I am using this:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9828

and these:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dproduct=14300

Excellent range
Old 01-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

View HeliScRapYard's Gallery3
Send a message via AIM to HeliScRapYard
Friends: (2)

Just as wildflyer said it is pilots preference, i also enjoy the feel of a JR Radio, and i still use the FM band by choice. i just upgraded from my 6ch xp6102 to another JR Radio 7ch. i have owned a dx5e and used the specktrum stuff, but never really liked it. just me

Need More Glue!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:43 AM   #6
TylerJCooper

Thanks for the feedback. It is great to hear what people use and why the use them. I think I am going to stick with the Spectrum family. I already have gear for it, it is in my price range, and I am comfortable with their format. I thank you for helping me become more confident in my next purchase.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by TylerJCooper View Post
Thanks for the feedback. It is great to hear what people use and why the use them. I think I am going to stick with the Spectrum family. I already have gear for it, it is in my price range, and I am comfortable with their format. I thank you for helping me become more confident in my next purchase.
I've got the Spektrum DX7 with 5 AR7000 servo's. All are about 3 years old, all have been flawless. Will have to replace the DX7 battery this year. It's pretty much shot. (They've had the software upgrades several years ago)
Old 01-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

The 2.4 radios are nice, if you have the big Bucks for the better 2.4 receivers, the AR6000 and AR6100 Receivers are best to stay away from, they are short range and prone to masking, not good.
Myself, I love JR radios, I use a JR 72Mhz Transmitter with only Berg Receivers, Best Darn Combination IMHO for glitch free flying, Nothing Wrong with a good 72Mhz radio system, and the receivers are about 1/4 the price of the better 2.4 receivers, I cant afford the high priced 2.4 receivers to outfit my planes with, AR7000 receiver is $89.99 a AR6200 receiver is $79.99 and those are the 2-2.4 receivers that I trust.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...raft-Receivers

A BERG 4L Receiver is $23 to $26 each, and are the best of the best for 72 Mhz, Its almost like having a 2.4 radio because the Berg receiver will lock on to your transmitter.
I Have a DX6i Transmitter and AR6200 receiver, they work fine, but i cant afford more receivers, to dang expensive to put in my planes.

Transmitter Signal Recognition (TSR) process:
The receiver "learns" the characteristics and specific signal signatures of your transmitter when you power it up. After that, the receiver will only listen to your transmitter*.
Note: If a similar transmitter on the same channel is powered up and is CLOSERto your receiver than your own transmitter, loss of signal/fail safe may be experienced.
True Digital Signal Processing (TDSP):
TDS
P is a proprietary process developed by Peter Berg. In addition to highly advanced triple-tuned RF filtering hardware, Castle Creations’ Berg receivers use a microprocessor and sophisticated software algorithms to filter the incoming signal. The system decides which signals are valid and which are not. Most standard FM receivers simply pass on the invalid signals to the servos as a "glitch".
TDSP receiver technology essentially eliminates glitches and provides a new level of confidence that you will
only get with Berg by Castle Creations.

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...user_guide.pdf

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

JR 72 Mhz Transmitter on E Bay, bidding is at 50.00 and less, missing battery, no big deal, buy a JR battery holder from horizon hobby and use 2200mah rechargable camera batteries

http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-XP8103-CHANNE...item4cf43158da

http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-PCM-XP7202H-F...item27b7ad26bc

http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-Radio-6CH-XF6...item3cb3e60474

http://toys.shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40...dio&_sacat=220

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRPB971

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

72 Mhz Berg Receivers, only use Berg crystals.

http://toys.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nk....c0.m270.l1313

If you dont have the Big Bucks for the better 2.4 Receivers, then Look at getting a Quallity 72 Mhz radio system, i use my 72 Mhz radio with the BERG receivers 95% of the time, with no problems at all. dont use any other receiver than BERG on 72 Mhz ok, I opened up a can of worms now You will normally get better Range with a 72Mhz transmitter too, Ok, I opened up some more Cans of Worms

THE CHEAP WAY OUT LOL

Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

To Tell you the truth Tyler, I have a newer DX6i transmitter, and a AR6200 receiver and a AR6000 receiver, Make Me a Reasonable Offer for them, PM me if you want them. I Love 72 Mhz and this shows you how much I love 72 Mhz LOL

Old 01-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Tyler,

For $99 you can get a Polk 8 channel, Synthesized TX. It transmits on ANY 72 mHz frequency, and a 99 model memory, so you can have 1 tx for all you planes.

You wont get better range with anything else.

It has a built in scanner, so you can scan channels before using them.
It WONT TRANSMIT on someone elses channel. It checks first, then if there is someone on, it tells you.

Yeah I know, 2.4 is popular,
But a 8ch radio set (with servos) for $99 is a deal for sure.

www.polkshobby.com

P.S. I too use BERG RX's by choice. Rock solid.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
zirconx
RC Flyer

View zirconx's Gallery6
Friends: (1)

I wanted get your opinion on tx's. I have been saving for quite some time to get a new tx. I currently have a dx6(not i) that I bought from another Watthead. However, I want to move to something different because $40 for a AR6000 is steep and I anticipate they will stop making them in the next couple years. ...
Tyler, I knew you should have just bought a DX6i and not that DX6 but I kept my mouth shut at the time!

I would go with a DX6i or a DX7. You can get a DX6i used pretty cheap, and its a great TX. Then when you show up at the flying field or hobby shop, you don't need to check with other people to make sure your frequency is free, or have to wait until its available. Spektrum is hassle free, never have to worry about channel conflicts. Also if you ever accidentally have your receiver on without having your TX on, your aircraft won't take off on its own! (I've had this happen on 72Mhz equipment, my heli chewed up my hand). And there are some cheap Spectrum clone receivers available now for around $10 shipped.

Another big plus for going with Spektrum is that there are a lot of "Bind-n-Fly" aircraft you can purchase at the local hobby store. All kinds of interesting aircraft like the MCX, MSR, and micro T-28 trojan, and many more. These all have mini Spektrum receivers in them, so you can use a DX6i, DX7, etc. with them. Otherwise you have to pay extra to get the "RTF" versions, which come with little cheapie toy-like transmitters.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #14
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
Tyler,

For $99 you can get a Polk 8 channel, Synthesized TX. It transmits on ANY 72 mHz frequency, and a 99 model memory, so you can have 1 tx for all you planes.

You wont get better range with anything else.

It has a built in scanner, so you can scan channels before using them.
It WONT TRANSMIT on someone elses channel. It checks first, then if there is someone on, it tells you.

Yeah I know, 2.4 is popular,
But a 8ch radio set (with servos) for $99 is a deal for sure.

www.polkshobby.com

P.S. I too use BERG RX's by choice. Rock solid.
I Was trying to Look at the Polk 8 Channel Transmitter on their site, and it keeps giving me the run around and deverts me to their Trains do you have to log into the site to look at their products BTW i would not mind having a 4-8-8-4 Articulating Big Boy LOL

Old 01-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #15
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I Was trying to Look at the Polk 8 Channel Transmitter on their site, and it keeps giving me the run around and deverts me to their Trains do you have to log into the site to look at their products BTW i would not mind having a 4-8-8-4 Articulating Big Boy LOL
Thats the prob!!I've been try'in to get on Polk for YEARS ,Where the cool planes everyone talks about? ?bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 01-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #16
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Polk 8 channel, Synthesized TX. It transmits on ANY 72 mHz frequency, and a 99 model memory, so you can have 1 tx for all you planes.
I want it NOW!bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 01-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #17
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Polk must be the best kept radio secret in RC.

Click here:

http://store.polkshobby.com/scripts/...3001&conum=002

LOOKS AS IF THERE IS ONLY 1 LEFT!!!

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 01-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #18
TylerJCooper

Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
Tyler, I knew you should have just bought a DX6i and not that DX6 but I kept my mouth shut at the time!

I would go with a DX6i or a DX7. You can get a DX6i used pretty cheap, and its a great TX. Then when you show up at the flying field or hobby shop, you don't need to check with other people to make sure your frequency is free, or have to wait until its available. Spektrum is hassle free, never have to worry about channel conflicts. Also if you ever accidentally have your receiver on without having your TX on, your aircraft won't take off on its own! (I've had this happen on 72Mhz equipment, my heli chewed up my hand). And there are some cheap Spectrum clone receivers available now for around $10 shipped.

Another big plus for going with Spektrum is that there are a lot of "Bind-n-Fly" aircraft you can purchase at the local hobby store. All kinds of interesting aircraft like the MCX, MSR, and micro T-28 trojan, and many more. These all have mini Spektrum receivers in them, so you can use a DX6i, DX7, etc. with them. Otherwise you have to pay extra to get the "RTF" versions, which come with little cheapie toy-like transmitters.
Well this is affirming. I have just made a purchase for a used DX6i from the one and only Chellie. Not only do I get a new sweet tx, but I also was able to get one with you signature on it. I would like to see you find one of those from Polk.

The Polk do look really good, but I am still wet behind the ears and needed something that was the most user friendly. I am also a big fan of the BNF versions, so it is the old two birds with one stone deal.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #19
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

i see the radio but it still sends you to trains when you click for more!! bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 01-21-2011, 06:04 AM   #20
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Well this is affirming. I have just made a purchase for a used DX6i from the one and only Chellie. Not only do I get a new sweet tx, but I also was able to get one with you signature on it. I would like to see you find one of those from Polk.

The Polk do look really good, but I am still wet behind the ears and needed something that was the most user friendly. I am also a big fan of the BNF versions, so it is the old two birds with one stone deal.
and you got a AR6200 and a AR6000 Receiver too, There was no Charge for my Autograph LOL, I love 72 Mhz and a Polk Transmitter just might be my next Purchase Take Care, Chellie

Old 01-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #21
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
Polk must be the best kept radio secret in RC.

Click here:

http://store.polkshobby.com/scripts/...3001&conum=002

LOOKS AS IF THERE IS ONLY 1 LEFT!!!
Thank you for the link, Chellie

Old 01-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #22
pilotpete2
Pilotpete2

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
4-8-8-4, now that's something to get all steamed up about
Sure wish the UP would restore one of the survivors to running condition, there was some talk, but nothing seemed to come of it.
Who sez size don't matter
Pete

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
Red Green
Old 01-22-2011, 03:17 AM   #23
TylerJCooper

I have been trying to figure out what the 4-8-8-4 is and all I can find is information about trains. So, I am giving up. What are you talking about?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:42 AM   #24
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

I have been trying to figure out what the 4-8-8-4 is and all I can find is information about trains. So, I am giving up. What are you talking about?

Your right its a Steam Locomotive, and its the biggest and the baddest IMHO once a year, when i was younger, this Train would come through town, and you knew it when you heard it and saw the rich black smoke coming out of it

Old 01-22-2011, 04:52 AM   #25
TylerJCooper

I remember that train. I grew up in a small town where the east and west railroad met and they train use to come through town one a year. Does it still run?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros