Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-07-2011, 04:03 AM   #1
AndrewQLD

Friends: (1)
Default New member with Turnigy 9x woes

Hi all, I've been reading for a while however this is my first post and it's a sad one. I finally decided to get back into flying after 15 years away. Electric seemed the way to go this time round so I purchased a Hobby King Decathlon, Accucell 6 charger and a Turnigy 9X transmitter V2.

I did a lot of reading and it looked like the v2 of the radio had ironed out all the bugs, I'd just like to say that it hasn't.
Faults straight out of the box include:

1. Unable to select Acro mode
2. gibberish on the display
3. unable to select mode 1-4
4. Unable to select PCM/PPM
5. servos twitching and erratic.

And to be honest I haven't checked for further problems so there could well be a heap more.
I'm very happy with the Decathlon and the charger, the plane went together very easily and looks good.
not sure what I am going to do radio wise, any suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers
Andrew
Old 01-07-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
Insomniac

Send a message via MSN to Insomniac

Does it look like the issue mentioned a few posts from the top of this page? http://rcmodelreviews.com/

If so, it looks like the guy has a solution and will post it at some point, with luck.

A crashed airplane is like a jigsaw puzzle...
Old 01-07-2011, 04:20 AM   #3
AndrewQLD

Yep, looks the same, hopefully they will get the article up soon, thanks for the link, at least there might soon be a solution.

Cheers
Andrew
Old 01-07-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
radialarm
Crash Test Clown!!!

View radialarm's Gallery14
Send a message via MSN to radialarm Send a message via Yahoo to radialarm
Friends: (2)

Andrew, it sounds like you have a firmware issue. You might check out this thread and make your 9X into a super performer: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266162

Visit my homepage! Have A Good One!

Robert
Old 01-07-2011, 05:10 AM   #5
AndrewQLD

Wow, just checked that thread radialarm and there is no way I would be able to do any of that, way over my head I'm sorry to say.
but thanks for helping.

Cheers
Andrew
Old 01-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
radialarm
Crash Test Clown!!!

View radialarm's Gallery14
Send a message via MSN to radialarm Send a message via Yahoo to radialarm
Friends: (2)

Do a little research and I bet you could do it. That solderless add in board with backlight is an easy install, and erazz's firmware is pretty simple to use. It does look daunting at first, but these guys have made it easy. You might get with s_mack or one of the other regulars there and work out a deal to have him flash it for you. It beats having a dead radio.

Visit my homepage! Have A Good One!

Robert
Old 01-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Originally Posted by AndrewQLD View Post
Wow, just checked that thread radialarm and there is no way I would be able to do any of that, way over my head I'm sorry to say.
but thanks for helping.

Cheers
Andrew
You can do it Andrew, just put your mind to it, the reason you are here, is because you are another Geek, Nerd and Egg head,Just like all the rest of us LOL, Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

This is the reason I try to steer people way from the cheapy China 2.4 radio systems, Nothing but problems with them. they dont have the customer support or the bugs worked out of them yet. when buying a Radio system, spend the little extra and get a quality radio system, we have all been there and done that, I know i have learned the hard way,trying to buy cheap and ending up paying 2 or 3 times more in the long run, take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
AndrewQLD

Thanks Chellie, I plan to follow radialarm' advice and will be ordering an add on board with programmer to update the firmware since Hobby King won't honor their warranty out of warehouse, should be fun.
And I hope you don't mind but I have noticed you are a bit of a build guru here so I will be hassling you on a regular basis I think.

Cheers
Andrew
Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by AndrewQLD View Post
Thanks Chellie, I plan to follow radialarm' advice and will be ordering an add on board with programmer to update the firmware since Hobby King won't honor their warranty out of warehouse, should be fun.
And I hope you don't mind but I have noticed you are a bit of a build guru here so I will be hassling you on a regular basis I think.

Cheers
Andrew
Hi Andrew Please PM me with any questions you have, if i can be of help great, and if not, we will find someone that can be of help Take care, Chellie

Old 01-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

The biggest problem here is not "cheap chinese gear" - it's Hobby Kings insistence on re-flashing a Tx that already works fine from factory.

I may be wrong - but when a 3rd party decides to interfere with a product - you will get odd ones that fail.

There are many people out there who have the FlySky 9X ( as the Turnigy is a rebranded reflashed FlySky Radio ) and without problems ... flying and enjoying the experience.

To dismiss the FS 9X because of a few bad ones - especially when most faults occur with the SAME rebranded label REFLASHED versions is unfair ...

It would be like dimissing Spektrum because of the plastic bits that many have had break in their 6i's ...

Hobby King need to sort themselves and also their warranty - as reflashing a product immediately passes the buck to THEM .. and they should honour it. Don't condemn the item whatever the item is because of poor dealer response.

Personally - I would be against reflashing again ... that means all onus is then passed to buyer and no come-back to seller. I would be pressing HK to sort it out ...

Oh ... and it might be worth checking out the FlySky group for help ...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
Insomniac

Yeah, this is certainly HobbyKing's mistake. From what I've heard, it can be a bit tricky to get HobbyKing to take responsability for faulty merchandise...

Funnily enough, another Chinese company which I deal with regularly is Dealextreme, and by appearence alone you'd expect them to be worse than HobbyKing in terms of service: They sell vast amounts of goods, some high quality, some of acceptable quality, and a lot more items which are as low quality as you can get. They ship slower than HobbyKing, the shipping is free, and the packaging is always marginal (though everything I've ordered has survived, albeit with the packaging a bit sqaushed). They look like just the sort of site which would leave you in the cold when things go wrong. However, on both the occasions when I've needed support (once they forgot to include one item, and once another item was faulty), they responded quickly and sent out brand new replacements, free of charge or any hassle.

Surely HobbyKing is capable of matching this sort of service...

Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

I am forced to buy online most of my RC needs and this mostly means Chinese Ebay sellers.

I have had items delivered not as ordered ie I bought 4 tail belts and rec'd 2. Contacted them and another 2 dispatched immediately without question.
I've reported non-working items ... sellers have dispatched replacements without question, without even need to send back non-working ...

Only once have I had a bad experience and that was with the faulty LCD screen of my 6ch Heli radio ... and a seller who turned out to be on checking back history not reliable.

My point is - that I have had 99.99% excellent service from chinese suppliers, and many must be back-room operations or one-man bands ... who cares ? They have stood by their products and put right errors.

Hobby King is a recognised Dealer and wants to be classed as a good dealer ... then they better sort out some of the complaints you hear ... but then again - I don't read that many anti's.

This then brings me to the question : How long ago was the radio bought from them ? When was fault reported ? How was fault reported ? Why did HK turn down warranty claim or have they ?

I have terrible feeling and NO disrespect to original poster ... but what is wrong that creates HK's lack of support ?

C'mon - tell us whole story please.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 01-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #14
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I've just realised something !!

I have had a similar gobbly-gook display on a different radio and that was due to leaving it switched on and battery pack falling below minimum needed to run radio. It seems that doing that screws up the software and settings.
To remedy - I charged up radio and then RESET each of the model memories .......... all returned to factory default and fine.

The radio was manufactured in same FlySky factory as the 9X ...

So maybe worth a try - RESET the radio to default ... and then see what comes up.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #15
AndrewQLD

Well, I ordered the radio Xmas day online and it was delivered on the 5th january, I opened the box, inserted fully charged batteries turned it on and proceeded to try to program it and discovered the faults as listed in my first post. On the 6th I lodged a warranty claim online at hobby king and was informed at the end of that process that I have to return the radio to China for testing and I have to pay freight each way, hardly worth it really.
So on the 6th I rang the NSW warehouse and asked if I could return the radio to them for replacement, They said they would get back to me. Received an email that afternoon saying I had to send the radio back to China and that was the only way returns could be processed.

On Friday I emailed back to HK in NSW stating that if the radio wasn't replaced through the Aust. warehouse I would be forced to take the matter further with Paypal and my credit card provider.
haven't heard back as yet.

My gripe is that I purchased the radio here in Aust. so I should be able to return the faulty item to the place of purchase.

That's pretty much the whole story in a nutshell.

Cheers
Andrew
Old 01-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #16
Goz

Friends: (0)

Sounds like Hobby King may need to familiarise themselves with the Australian Fair Trade Laws if they are going to continue to do business here in Australia.

Flying: The art of throwing yourself at the ground and completely missing.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:26 AM   #17
Insomniac

Yuck... I understand why they're careful about getting themselves ripped off, as they run within fairly tight profit margins... but still, you should, at the very least, be able to return it to the Australian warehouse. Or have it shipped back to China for free.

Isn't it funny how the dodgier sounding eBay stores and the like, are often the most willing to bear the cost of replacement to the customer?

Old 01-10-2011, 04:56 AM   #18
AndrewQLD

Received the reply from HobbyKing today.
Clearly they don't want to know so that's the end of that I guess.

I tried your idea Solentlife sadly now I have no model memory at all and can't reprogram anything, but it was worth a try.
I won't be forking out the dollars to for a round trip to China so I will attempt the firmware update myself.

Cheers
Andrew

Dear Customer

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that currently, we do not have a warranty department at our AUS warehouse at the moment; therefore, we have no choice but to request for you to return the item to our warranty department in China for inspection.

Please be informed that when you are purchasing from our website, you are making a purchase directly from our headquater; our Australian location acts only as a warehouse which customer can chose to have their product sent from in order to save time and money.

Please kindly understand that we are more than happy to offer a replacement/ credits to you once it is confirmed to be faulty; in order to proceed with your claim swiftly, please kindly return the item to us as soon as possible.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

*Due to high volume of daily emails, it may take 3 - 7 days before we read your email reply. We thank you for your patience during this demanding time*

Best Regards,

Old 01-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #19
Goz

Friends: (0)

Bummer to hear that they won't exchange it Andrew.

I would imagine postage to China would cost more than what you paid for it in the first place.

Buying from Hobby King sounds like a bit of a lucky dip, if you get a good unit it's a bargain, if you get a dud your out of pocket.

PS. Hope things are drying out down your way now.

PPS. Just noticed this in a pop up window on the HK site

Unsure if this product is suitable?
If you're having difficulty deciding on the product to buy, take a look at the product discussion section at the bottom of the page, or view our community forum for help.
Click here to visit our community forum.

Worried about warranty!?
Other stores will force you to ship your faulty item back to China, but not us!
We guarantee all products to be free of defects at the time of sale and have warranty centers in Europe, USA* and Australia*!
We also have instant replacement on some items. Ask our Customer service staff via chat or email for details.
*coming soon!
Note the coming soon fine print

Flying: The art of throwing yourself at the ground and completely missing.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #20
AndrewQLD

Hmmm, that's interesting Goz, i think I might take this further, thanks for the heads up.
And I hope you a fairing well with the floods too.

Andrew
Old 01-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #21
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

when I buy from HK or overseas, I dont buy items that are expensive or sensitive like Radios, ETC, I only buy items that I can afford to loose the purchase price it its bad, its a crap shoot to say the least when buying from over seas, so far, I have been lucky, and have not had any dead on arrival items, and if i do get a bad item, I dont worry about it, because it will cost me more time and money than what the item is worth to send it back, I only buy things like ESC, Lipos, motors, props, glue, Radios i will buy from a trusted hobby shop like Horizon hobbies, that will have a Warranty on the item purchased, I figure I have saved enough money buying inexpensive items from Hk, that any defective item will be absorbed in the savings of item i have bought righ along, Take care, Chellie

Old 01-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #22
AndrewQLD

Makes sense Chellie and in hindsight,,,,, well you know the rest.
I actually made sure that the radio came from the Aust. warehouse for just those reasons but that obviously makes no difference.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #23
Insomniac

As I mentioned before however (and another poster confirmed), some Chinese sellers are excellent with warantee... And simply send out a replacement without you needing to provide more than a couple of photos and description of the fault. Unfortunately HobbyKing policy seems to dictate that all faults are shipped back and inspected by them first. I've come to accept that it's a lucky dip with them and while I really don't like their warantee method, I accept it as their prices still save me money overall.

Perhaps a youtube video with you identifying yourself, and showing the problem and describing it, combined with the threat of a paypal dispute, will pursuade them into sending along a replacement? It's a long shot but it probably won't take much of your time to try.

Damnit Hobbyking... I want you to be good, but even Dealextreme can fix their mistakes better than you.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners