Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
lakeside1000

View lakeside1000's Gallery4
Club: none
Friends: (0)
Default servo setup for elevons, flying wing

What is the most popular way to mount the servos on elevons, 25 years ago i built one with the aileron servo mounted on a flexible base, the elevator servo was then attached to the aileron servo body so when elevators were called, the whole aileron servo rocked back and forth to move the pushrods in the same direction, whilst the ailerons could still operate , it worked well but there must be a simpler or perhaps electronic way to do this now, any thoughts, regards alan , thanks for your time.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (15)

There are two electronic solutions. Many suppliers sell "elevon/v-tail" mixers. It's a little on-board module that plugs into two channels, usually elevator and aileron, on the receiver and the two elevon servos plug into it. It does the magic for you. However, any modern radio will include this function in the transmitter, switch or program selectable, in which case you follow the manufacturer's instructions.

BTW... WELCOME TO WATTFLYER!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
lakeside1000

View lakeside1000's Gallery4
Club: none

thanks mustang , i will do some surfing to find one, regards alan.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
TerriLee

I have a new DX5e, will I need a v-tail mixer to operate my elevons?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:37 AM   #5
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (87)

Originally Posted by TerriLee View Post
No, It has a mix switch on the front,,bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 12-28-2011, 03:39 AM   #6
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Welcome to Wattflyer! What are you setting up??bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 12-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
TerriLee

Default V-tail mixing

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
Welcome to Wattflyer! What are you setting up??bubsteve

Thanks Steve. I actually took a look at the instructions that came with my DX5 and it tells me how to rig it up. Yeah, I know..... read the instructions first.

I am scratch building a delta wing to use as my trainer plane. I have four airplanes I built when I was very young and now that I'm getting really old, I want to convert them to electric and actually fly them. But, I would rather get the hang of flying RC models using something I don't care so much if I crash it. That's why I'm building the delta wing. I'm making the delta somewhat slow so it should make a good trainer for me and if I destroy it, I'll just make another.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #8
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Thanks Steve. I actually took a look at the instructions that came with my DX5 and it tells me how to rig it up. Yeah, I know..... read the instructions first.

I am scratch building a delta wing to use as my trainer plane. I have four airplanes I built when I was very young and now that I'm getting really old, I want to convert them to electric and actually fly them. But, I would rather get the hang of flying RC models using something I don't care so much if I crash it. That's why I'm building the delta wing. I'm making the delta somewhat slow so it should make a good trainer for me and if I destroy it, I'll just make another.
Terrilee: Deltas are easy to fly for sure but experts seem to love um too!
We fly alot of home-brewed deltas and there as fast or slow as you like,,I harrier mine all the time at around 3 MPH and zoom around do'in40-50mph as well,,what old planes are you wanting to convert??? some switch easy but some of my old ones will always be slimers (wet) as they weigh a ton,,,Post lots of Pixs as their worth a zillion keystokes sometimes,any ??? you have just ask,,this site is full of oldtimers like myself who like help'in,,,you may be and old fart yourself so you'll fit right in here!bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	315485_276601665699684_100000495592743_1108692_3458893_n.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	155858
Click image for larger version

Name:	310782_297216930304824_100000495592743_1185660_1321510733_n.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	155859

Monkey Minion'air
Old 12-29-2011, 04:24 AM   #9
TerriLee

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
Terrilee: Deltas are easy to fly for sure but experts seem to love um too!
We fly alot of home-brewed deltas and there as fast or slow as you like,,I harrier mine all the time at around 3 MPH and zoom around do'in40-50mph as well,,what old planes are you wanting to convert??? some switch easy but some of my old ones will always be slimers (wet) as they weigh a ton,,,Post lots of Pixs as their worth a zillion keystokes sometimes,any ??? you have just ask,,this site is full of oldtimers like myself who like help'in,,,you may be and old fart yourself so you'll fit right in here!bubsteve
Let's see, I have a corsair that has a 37" wing span that I originally built to be a U-control. I had it ready to fly when I was 16yo but never had the courage to do it since I was horrible at U-control and didn't want to see all my hard work destroyed in one attempt at flying. So, it's been a hanger queen all of it's life. I now have it stripped down to bare wood and intend to RC it even though I've been told by some local old timers I shouldn't. If they had said, "Yeah, you can do that!", I'd have probably never attempted to make it happen but now I have to.

I have two old gliders which were both nitro and one was already set up as RC but really old servos installed.

Then there is my baby. It's my original concept and design and is the second one I built when very young. (12 or 13?) My spouse calls it my tortilla plane because it looks all together like a flying saucer and she is latino. It's small and light and I think it will make a really nice park flyer when I get it done. It used to have an .049 Cox in it and the first one I built was free flight and it crashed in to my dad's barn and was totaled. This one was again going to be a U-control and I never flew it.

These are sorta in my "bucket list" of things I'm going to do before I'm too old to do them. I've managed to keep them for 45 years or so and now it's time. Now or never. Fly them or crash them trying. Actually, my profession is aviation and I've flown "real" airplanes since I was fifteen years old. My parents always wondered about my interest in such things since girls aren't supposed to do the things I've managed to do through my years, but here I am. I was supposed to be a aircraft design engineer, but I hated math too much for that.
Thanks again for you advise.
TerriLee
Old 12-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

They all sound good,, we used elmers ans other wood glues back then that maybe brittle after years of storage so check that out,,I built that Corsair in 1969 that I wish I still had as it was a lite and would have been flying outta my hanger now!!A flight pack for these would run 50-60$ Less TX,,servos are less than 5$ , RX less than 10$!Speed controller (ESC) 12-18$,,lipo around 10-12$,,, Cheapest in my lifetime and just in time for retired Farts like us!!!!Looking forward to hearing much more here!!!bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings