Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
SNIPERWOLF

Friends: (0)
Default Newbie With Questions......Sorry!!

Hi Guys,

I'll start with a quick introduction, I'm Gareth, 38 yrs old, from Leeds UK and I'm new (3 weeks!) to the hobby so please bear with me and be gentle!!

I've done some searching for the answers to my questions but don't seem to be able to find what I'm looking for. Apologies if I'm commiting the classic newbie error and asking the same old questions, but you seem to be a friendly bunch on here so I'll give it a shot.

I got a Dynam Snowbird for Christmas, not the best of models I know, but at 60 with spare wings and a PC simulator it seemed hard to beat for the money to give me a taster of electric flight and get me started.

So far I am up and flying (kind of), I realise the limitations of the model I have but it's giving me an introduction to the hobby, teaching me the basics etc and I'd like to continue with it for a little while before upgrading to something better.

My first question is related to the propellers, I've snapped one and currently using the spare, so thinking it's time to order some more before I leave myself grounded. They're just a push fit onto the motor shaft......are these things a standard kind of fitting and would I be able to use any other types that may give me a little more power?

Secondly, the battery pack. The 7.2v/650mAh pack that came with it gives me about 8-10 mins flight time and the charger that was supplied takes about 2hrs to recharge.......I'm looking to get more flight time per outing. The obvious route would be a second pack of the same spec., but before I do that, can I do better? Firstly can I go for more mAh's and get longer flight time......something like a 7.2v/1000mAh? The pack that it came with (650mAh) is 4 x AAA size.......what are my options for something better? Can I get a quick charger to use from my car while out flying? Would it be worth switching to LiPo?

Lastly, while I'm on.........once I am a bit more confident with what I have, I'm looking at upgrading to a WOT4 Foam-E........any good? Any other recommendations?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any advice.

ATB. Gareth
Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by SNIPERWOLF View Post
Hi Guys,

I'll start with a quick introduction, I'm Gareth, 38 yrs old, from Leeds UK and I'm new (3 weeks!) to the hobby so please bear with me and be gentle!!

I've done some searching for the answers to my questions but don't seem to be able to find what I'm looking for. Apologies if I'm commiting the classic newbie error and asking the same old questions, but you seem to be a friendly bunch on here so I'll give it a shot.

I got a Dynam Snowbird for Christmas, not the best of models I know, but at 60 with spare wings and a PC simulator it seemed hard to beat for the money to give me a taster of electric flight and get me started.

So far I am up and flying (kind of), I realise the limitations of the model I have but it's giving me an introduction to the hobby, teaching me the basics etc and I'd like to continue with it for a little while before upgrading to something better.

My first question is related to the propellers, I've snapped one and currently using the spare, so thinking it's time to order some more before I leave myself grounded. They're just a push fit onto the motor shaft......are these things a standard kind of fitting and would I be able to use any other types that may give me a little more power?

Secondly, the battery pack. The 7.2v/650mAh pack that came with it gives me about 8-10 mins flight time and the charger that was supplied takes about 2hrs to recharge.......I'm looking to get more flight time per outing. The obvious route would be a second pack of the same spec., but before I do that, can I do better? Firstly can I go for more mAh's and get longer flight time......something like a 7.2v/1000mAh? The pack that it came with (650mAh) is 4 x AAA size.......what are my options for something better? Can I get a quick charger to use from my car while out flying? Would it be worth switching to LiPo?

Lastly, while I'm on.........once I am a bit more confident with what I have, I'm looking at upgrading to a WOT4 Foam-E........any good? Any other recommendations?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any advice.

ATB. Gareth

Gareth

Welcome to Wattflyer. it is a great group of people who have helped me a lot since I got into the addiction.

I can not find a lot of good information about what exactly the speed control and motor are in your plane so my thought would be to stay with the stock prop for the time being if it flys decently. Going to a bigger prop will improve the performance but also will draw more current with a good risk of exceeding what your motor and speed control will handle and you will end up with fatal damage. I would go and read up on some of the stickies in the beginner forums and you will find a lot of good info on what you need to move forward in the hobby and be able to evaluate the upgrades you are thinking of.

Without knowing more about your aircraft, I would probably same the same thought on the battery. You can get a bigger NiMH battery, but hard to tell if it would fit in the airplane and you will be adding weight whihc will use more energy to fly the airplane with the same performance you see now. Lipos are an option that usually give more power in smaller, lighter package, but would require that your ESC can be reset to use lipos, which I do not know if can be done. If that can be done you would alos need to get a new charger for the lipos: Do not use your current charger for LIPO batteries. Lipos are a great power source, but must be handled correctly or you will create some dangerous situations. Nothing really wrong with the NiMHs and if you are getting 8-10 min flight times they are working well for you. In my first aircraft I used them for about a year. I would just get a couple more and get a car charger:

https://www.aeromodelhut.com/shop/mo...y+charger.html

The stickies in the beginner forums are here:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Huge amount of good information there

Good luck
Old 01-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Regarding batteries.. you cant just throw in a physically bigger battery because weight and possibly size would be a problem. weight is a big issue on a model like this as it probably only has 'just enough' power to carry the standard battery. Also a heavier battery will upset the balance of the model and chances are it just would not fly. Considering all of this you need to get a battery that is roughly the same size and weight as the one you have. What you have is a 'cheap and cheerful' NiMh battery. If it's 7.2V then it must be 6 x 1.2V 'AAA' NiMh cells (not 4). You can get slightly higher capacity AAA cells. These on ebay are 800mAh and I think must be the same size and weight: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-7-2V-800mAh...#ht_2186wt_905

If you wanted more capacity than that then you would have to change to superior battery technology. LiPo cells have higher capacity then NiMh for the same weight. With a 7.4V LiPo pack you could have 1200mAh for less weight to your existing battery, though LiPo's are a different shape so they may not fit without modification to the model.
The problem with going to LiPo technology is that you would need a different charger and also LiPo need a speed controller that protects from over discharge, which yours probably doesn't.. so it would get quite expensive.

If you got a better charger you could also bring your charge time down for your existing batteries, but again it's all more cost.

For the prop.. I believe the model uses a 5x5 prop (5" dia x 5"pitch).. You should be able to use any similar sized prop but you would need to check on shaft diameter. Don't expect any gain in performance just by swapping props.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
SNIPERWOLF

Wow, this place really is friendly, thanks for such detailed and helpful responses guys!!

dumo01 - thanks for taking the time mate. Having read your reply I think you're right about keeping it standard as regards the prop, just as I was going to have to order some as spares I thought I'd check out my options. But like you say, I don't know if the motor etc will take it. I'll study those stickies and carry the knowledge over to my next model which will be of better quality than this "cheapie". Thanks again.

JetPlaneFlyer - again, many thanks for making the effort to help out mate, much appreciated!! You were right (of course) about my battery pack, it is 6-cell and those ebay ones you linked to look just the job, just ordered some along with a couple of leads to convert to JST connections my plane has (also from ebay).....many thanks for the link mate, was looking at paying that for just one of the standard 650mAh packs. I'm going to stick with NiMh to keep costs down for now, my next model will be LiPo though, doesn't seem much point in spending too much on this one as I'll be upgrading soon.

So, I'm going to order some standard props, you were right, they are 5x5, but with postage they are going to be 11 as spares suppliers for this model seem few and far between.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that may be cheaper, I've found other 5x5's but they look to be for much larger motor shafts. These have a (at a guess - no calipers ) 1.5-2mm blind hole, ie doesn't go all the way through, and are just a push fit? Guessing they may be a Dynam specific part and I'm stuck with that price, but someone may be able to tell me otherwise?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

8-10 minutes is a pretty standard flight time on a battery-powered foamy. (Unless it's a glider or something.)

That's why we all buy lots and lots of batteries.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

There are various types of 'prop adapter' and 'prop saver' devices you could use to convert to a standard prop. First though you need to accurately measure the diameter of the motor shaft. Adaptors and prop savers for all shaft sizes down to 1.5mm are available here: http://robotbirds.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=288_6

And standard props on the same site: http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=4966

You might want to check the direction of rotation of the prop: If, looking from the rear, the prop spins clockwise then the prop I linked to is good.. If from the rear it's rotating anti-clockwise then you either need to reverse the rotation or get a special 'pusher' prop, which may be hard to find at that size.

The adapter, a few props and postage work out a lot cheaper than 11
Old 01-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Gareth, Welcome to WattFlyer!

Did a little surfing the net, I'm taking a shot this is what you have.

These are what we tend to call basic birds. Great for a first shot at trying to fly. But that's about it for them. Items like this tend to be mediocre at best in quality and reliability. They are using the cheapest and lowest quality components available. And in such can dissuade a newbie pretty quick as they often don't fly that well. But they do tend to take a beating. LOL!

Other then your suggested purchases of spare props and another pack, I wouldn't spend more on it.

If the bug has bitten you, I would suggest the next step of something like this.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7300

The Super Cub had a huge following on many of the forums, lots of tips, fixes, hop ups, etc. from like minded folks as you. And it has customer service from Horizon, hands down the #1 best in the industry, and lots of spare parts available.

Going this route will give you a plane that's great to learn the basics on, can be modded afterward to increase it's performance and capabilities, as yours grow. You'll also have the support of hundreds of flyers with the same bird, and a world class support and parts availability from Horizon.

Best of luck to you mate!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snowbird.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	142269  

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
SNIPERWOLF

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post

You might want to check the direction of rotation of the prop: If, looking from the rear, the prop spins clockwise then the prop I linked to is good.. If from the rear it's rotating anti-clockwise then you either need to reverse the rotation or get a special 'pusher' prop, which may be hard to find at that size.

The adapter, a few props and postage work out a lot cheaper than 11
Once again, your advice and links are spot on mate, thankyou!!

If I can be more of a PITA, just to check something you said above.........

Regarding the direction of rotation, was the advice given based on knowing which model I had (ie Snowbird as posted below by Glacier Girl)?? I ask this as the prop sits behind the wing as per the picture below. When you said from behind, did you mean with the tail nearest me, looking at the prop?? From that way round, the prop spins clockwise........does that mean those props you linked will work??

Or if they won't, is it simply a case of switching the wires on the back of the motor?

Thanks again for the links, if I can use them, they're going to save me a few quid.

Sorry to be a complete numpty.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
SNIPERWOLF

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Gareth, Welcome to WattFlyer!

Did a little surfing the net, I'm taking a shot this is what you have.

These are what we tend to call basic birds. Great for a first shot at trying to fly. But that's about it for them. Items like this tend to be mediocre at best in quality and reliability. They are using the cheapest and lowest quality components available. And in such can dissuade a newbie pretty quick as they often don't fly that well. But they do tend to take a beating. LOL!

Other then your suggested purchases of spare props and another pack, I wouldn't spend more on it.

If the bug has bitten you, I would suggest the next step of something like this.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7300

The Super Cub had a huge following on many of the forums, lots of tips, fixes, hop ups, etc. from like minded folks as you. And it has customer service from Horizon, hands down the #1 best in the industry, and lots of spare parts available.

Going this route will give you a plane that's great to learn the basics on, can be modded afterward to increase it's performance and capabilities, as yours grow. You'll also have the support of hundreds of flyers with the same bird, and a world class support and parts availability from Horizon.

Best of luck to you mate!
Hey GlacierGirl,

Thanks so much for your advice and giving up your time to help out a noob!

You were right about that being the model I have. I knew when I asked for it that it was pretty basic, but it flys, and it's given me a taste and confirmed that this is something I want to go further with.

That Super Cub was actually recommended by my local shop when I went in the other day, at the time I assumed they were just doing a sales job on me, but after reading your post and reading up a bit further, that does seem well regarded and I'll be going for one of them in a few weeks once I've mastered the basics a bit more with my "basic bird"

Thanks for steering me in the right direction, very kind of you.

Happy flying mate.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by SNIPERWOLF View Post
Regarding the direction of rotation, .....
Yes, i know the Snow Bird is a pusher (I Googled).. But pusher or tractor prop makes no real difference.. Looking from behind (tail toward you) then a 'conventional' prop must rotate clockwise regardless.. so yes the prop I linked will be good.

When mounting the prop it's usually the face with the writing on that faces forward.. or to be more scientific the convex blade surface will be facing the front and the more concave or flat surface facing the rear.. be careful not to install the prop backward because thrust will be much reduced (it's been done before, many times!)

Another option once you have cut your teeth on the Snow Bird is to build your own model. Building is a little out of favour these days but IMHO there remains a lot more satisfaction in building and flying your own model rather than just taking a RTF or ARF model out of a box... You learn a lot more about how they work when you build then yourself.

The main thing is to have fun whatever model you fly!

Steve
Old 01-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #11
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

S-Wolf - The Cub seems to have high marks. I have a HZ Champ that is a delight to fly in calm, or almost calm wind. And IT is a bit bigger than the Cub! I have flown it 12-ish times now and have NO scratches on it .... ZERO damage. I gotta tell you that I hand launch it and glide, with a flair to touchdown, over tall-ish grass. Yes I am a wuss!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners