Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
SHADY
Got Glue??

Friends: (4)
Default Went looking for my lost T-28

Went traipsing around in the woods looking for my favorite T28 this weekend.
Had a good idea what heading to take and the distance from where I was standing.
Long story short, I did not find MY entire plane.
I found only my canopy, but did find someone elses plane.

Looks like it's been there for a while.
Here is the fuse....

Here's what's left of my canopy. Going back one more time, to look for the rest.

Confucius say: "Man who go to bed wif itchy butt, may wake up wif smerry finga."
Old 01-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Hey! an old GWS Estarter. It sure does look like it's been there a while!

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)

Good luck on finding the T28. The canopies can come down quite a ways from the rest of the airplane, which for a fairly large chunk of white foam is amazingly good at hiding
Old 01-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
cbatters
Super Contributor

Did the plane have your name and phone number? (all of my planes and equipment have name, number and offer of a reward if found. Have not lost anything yet.)

Clint

Current - Ventura, HZ SuperCub-Freedom-Swift-AB3, PZ Typhoon, T-28 Trojan, Radian, AeroAce Biplane
Maiden - F-27C Stryker
10 years Ago - ElectroSoar 2M Glider, 2M Foam Glider, Mirage 550
Retired - Sky Fly, Red Hawk, Extreme, Challenger
Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
SHADY
Got Glue??

Originally Posted by dumo01 View Post
Good luck on finding the T28. The canopies can come down quite a ways from the rest of the airplane, which for a fairly large chunk of white foam is amazingly good at hiding
Yea, it's funny how it can hide like that.
These woods are thatchy, thick brush with cypress ponds dotted all over.
We did a fairly systematic grid type search. There is one more spot to check out, but it will require a hefty push, using machetes to make headway through the stuff...

Confucius say: "Man who go to bed wif itchy butt, may wake up wif smerry finga."
Old 01-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
SHADY
Got Glue??

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
Did the plane have your name and phone number? (all of my planes and equipment have name, number and offer of a reward if found. Have not lost anything yet.)

Clint
Yes, I put my name number and REWARD on several places with all my planes.
I searched the plane I found for any info, but it was blank.
Even though it was in sorry shape, I'd like to have been able to return it to the owner...

Old 01-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
SHADY
Got Glue??

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Hey! an old GWS Estarter. It sure does look like it's been there a while!
WOW... Thanks, I had no idea what it was. I actually have 99% of the plane and electronics.
Had a new looking blue lipo in it, but I think it's too dead to charge...
I will try and set all the pieces out and post a shot of them...

Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Originally Posted by SHADY View Post
WOW... Thanks, I had no idea what it was. I actually have 99% of the plane and electronics.
They are actually nice little planes. We used one as my sons aileron trainer when he was about 11 y/o. We lost his in the woods at a fly-in in PA but was able to find it. Flew it for a long time after that before finally retiring it. It may still be up in the attic somewhere.

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by SHADY View Post
Rebuild it!

Old 01-27-2011, 03:54 AM   #10
SHADY
Got Glue??

I gave it a fleeting thought, but the foam is badly degraded...

Old 01-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
eye4wings

Club: Hertford
Friends: (1)

I just KNOW I'll get labelled a crank for this, but if you have any kind of spiritual awareness you could always try your hand at dowsing to find the rest of your model. I have used a small pendulum to surprisingly accurate effect in the past. It all depends what your attitude is and you stand the best chance if you actually need to find what you're looking for and trust the system. If on the other hand you are just playing with it, it will play with you and send you off on a proper waste of time.
All it is doing is providing a way for your conscious mind to become aware of something that is already known subconsciously by yourself or by some other mind - even the great Mind. Someone or something knows where your model is.
If you feel ready to risk looking a bit silly I'll gladly give you some more info on how to go about it.
Either way I hope you find the model.

Nice try - but no cigar!
Old 01-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
SHADY
Got Glue??

Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
I just KNOW I'll get labelled a crank for this, but if you have any kind of spiritual awareness you could always try your hand at dowsing to find the rest of your model. I have used a small pendulum to surprisingly accurate effect in the past. It all depends what your attitude is and you stand the best chance if you actually need to find what you're looking for and trust the system. If on the other hand you are just playing with it, it will play with you and send you off on a proper waste of time.
All it is doing is providing a way for your conscious mind to become aware of something that is already known subconsciously by yourself or by some other mind - even the great Mind. Someone or something knows where your model is.
If you feel ready to risk looking a bit silly I'll gladly give you some more info on how to go about it.
Sure, I'll try anything at this point. I'd be glad to get more details of the method in which you speak... Thanks for your input...

Old 01-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
TylerJCooper

Club: Attempted to start an Omaha Park Club (Aeronuts)
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
I heard that worked for water. No one ever told me it worked for planes. I might have to start visiting the local club woods for me next plane.

Sir Isaac Newton had an apple, I have a plane.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
eye4wings

Okay SHADY, I'll post it here so others can see.
What you need to start with...
1, An open mind.
2, A small pendulum/ plumb bob on a string about 6" (150cm) long. The weight needs to be fairly small to react quickly and despite what others may think does not have to be of any particular shape or substance. It only needs to make visible the minute movements in your hand. It could consist of a 6BA nut on a bit of string for instance, although that will probably be a bit light for outdoor use.

To get started...
You have to give yourself a bit of training so first stand holding the string of your pendulum about 4" (100cm) from the bob. This may be a lesser distance for a lighter bob and greater for a heavier one.
Settle your mind. You have to be able to recognise the answers you get, which may be 'yes', 'no' or directional - as in an indication of direction. This directional aspect is why I prefer the pendulum over wires - although the fact that it can be carried unobtrusively in a pocket is also an advantage.
The response of the pendulum is subtle so you need to give it a gentle fore and aft swing ahead of you. First think of a positive. A yes. It may take a little while, but as you continue to insist on a yes response you should notice that the swing you imparted to the pendulum is starting to change. Each person has their own 'natural' direction. My 'yes' is a clockwise rotation and 'no' an anticlockwise one. Yours may be either way. This is what you need to discover. Once the pendulum has started to rotate it will gather pace until it is a circle. This is your conscious mind reinforcing the unconscious.
Acknowledge the answer and stop the pendulum. Settle your mind again and think of a negative. A 'no' answer. Start the fore and aft swing again, continuing to think of the 'no'. You should see the pendulum make a move in the opposite direction. Let it settle and acknowledge it again. This has settled what you expect to see in your working with the pendulum.
There is then the third, directional, possible answer to check. That of direction. This is not quite so easy to start with but after you have got used to getting yes and no answers it will probably come fairly easily.
The important thing is your calm mental attitude. You are simply bringing into the conscious realm what is sub-consciously known, sometimes by yourself (as in the case of some lost item in your workshop) or maybe other consciousnesses, since all consciousnesses are interlinked.
In asking for a direction you need to have settled in your mind as clear a picture as you can of what you are loking for. Start the fore and aft swing and concentrate of the item you are looking for. You will see a rotational effect begin which could be taken as a yes or no answer, but you have asked for a direction so allow it to settle. What you will notice after a time is that the circular movement is starting to flatten out again into a directional swing. The question is then which way is it pointing? A simple method applies. You started with straight ahead, your 12 o'clock. If it went anticlockwise before settling the direction it is giving is to your left and vice versa.
It may sometimes help to turn 90 degrees and ask again.

Finding your model...
You already have the appearence of the item to be found well established in your mind, which is good, but it has no doubt been damaged in the crash. Wings are possibly no longer connected to the fuselage and may be in a separate position.
If you have a large scale map of the area where you flew the model you may like to spread it out on a table. Dowsing, because it is based on mind is equally effective with a map as standing in the search area itself and distance is no problem. We are dealing with information.
Set the map so that 'north' aligns with North and put a pin or pencil mark where you stood when the crash happened. You already have a good idea of the direction where the model disappeared. I suggest you stand sideways on to that direction and ask for confirmation of that direction. Start the fore and aft swing and watch the rotation until it settles. All being well it should point in a direction close to your estimate, but always bear in mind that it is all too easy to superimpose what you think you know onto your questioning routine and get misled. Open mind and readiness to accept any answer given is essential.
You will now need to work through your questions in a calm routine manner using simple logic. Frame your questions simply and in a manner that cannot be misconstrued.
Questions I would suggest you ask are:
Think of the model as a whole albeit minus cockpit and ask 'Is the model largely intact (i.e. are wings still attached)?'
If 'yes', imagine the model at ground level (a height reachable from the ground) and ask 'Is the model on the ground?'
If the answer to the first question was 'no' think of the fuselage only and ask if it is on the ground - follow up on the wings later.
If the answer is that it is not on the ground you could ask for height by asking 'is it above 10 feet?'... 20 feet?... 30 feet etc. until you get a 'no'.

You can get a good idea of where on the map the model is by pointing with a pencil point to some place and asking 'which direction is my model from this point?' Note the direction and draw a faint line on the map. Do this from two more different points and circle the cocked hat you get. This is your ground search area (not forgetting of course that it may be up a tree!)

This is getting rather long. There is much more that probably should be said, but if you have aptitude to follow through in a calm logical manner, this is the bones of it. Remember your mental attitude is at the heart of it. It is otherwise simple mechanics, once having said that it is placed firmly in the area of the spiritual. It is a system that works. The only (main) question is whether our individual mental attitude is such as to enable us to access it.
I suppose I should point out that not all spiritual entities are kindly disposed to us humans, but I always start by placing myself under the protection of the great Mind (God) and only do it when I feel his approval - or the absence of disapproval. Plenty of dowsers I believe give no allegiance to God as such and appear to come to no harm, so I mention this only because I don't know where you stand on the matter of faith in the over-all Mind.

But first... start at the beginning. See (and let me know) how you get on. I'll gladly help all I can.

Nice try - but no cigar!
Old 01-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #15
eye4wings

Tyler, yes it works for anything! But motivation is vital. If you had success from a starting point of theft intention I would be seriously worried on your behalf (see last para of previous post) - of course with the intention of returning model to owner... different story!

Nice try - but no cigar!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:19 AM   #16
SHADY
Got Glue??

Haven't tried divining yet, but a short trek looking for another plane.
Found more r/c crash locations...

Here is most of what I found... But still no sign of my favorite T28...

Old 02-02-2011, 04:23 AM   #17
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

I think you may have found the location of RC Model Hell!

AMA #959089
Old 02-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #18
shaggy50

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
I think you may have found the location of RC Model Hell!
Or your own little Burmuda Triangle
Old 02-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #19
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Any three-headed dogs out there? That would be a clue...
Old 02-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Myself I would consider a new location to fly. You have stumbled upon the land locked Bermuda Triangle where no RC plane is safe.

Plus your new user name shall be Boneyard.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #21
SHADY
Got Glue??

Old 02-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #22
cbatters
Super Contributor

So at this point, do you think someone found it and took it home or do you still think it is still lost/hiding in the bush and worth searching for?

Clint

Current - Ventura, HZ SuperCub-Freedom-Swift-AB3, PZ Typhoon, T-28 Trojan, Radian, AeroAce Biplane
Maiden - F-27C Stryker
10 years Ago - ElectroSoar 2M Glider, 2M Foam Glider, Mirage 550
Retired - Sky Fly, Red Hawk, Extreme, Challenger
Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #23
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

I'm thinking we should call him INDY. He's found the lost airplane graveyard.

Anyone else remember the movies where they would find the lost elephants graveyard?

As for dowsing it does work. That's how all the wells were found around my farm.
My uncle used a simple Y shaped twig bout a foot long. When he got to a water spot the twig would twist downward. More it twisted more water was there.

p.s. if you happen across a white/orange Japanese Rising Sun paint scheme Stryker, it's mine. Lost in PA couple years back, last seen buzzing along at a pretty good clip in a Southern direction.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:27 AM   #24
SHADY
Got Glue??

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
So at this point, do you think someone found it and took it home or do you still think it is still lost/hiding in the bush and worth searching for?

Clint
It's some really thick bush, but there are some tree stands back there.
I would like to think it is still hiding...

Old 02-03-2011, 03:28 AM   #25
SHADY
Got Glue??

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
I'm thinking we should call him INDY. He's found the lost airplane graveyard.

Anyone else remember the movies where they would find the lost elephants graveyard?

As for dowsing it does work. That's how all the wells were found around my farm.
My uncle used a simple Y shaped twig bout a foot long. When he got to a water spot the twig would twist downward. More it twisted more water was there.

p.s. if you happen across a white/orange Japanese Rising Sun paint scheme Stryker, it's mine. Lost in PA couple years back, last seen buzzing along at a pretty good clip in a Southern direction.
If it made it this far south I'll let you know....

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions