Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-28-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
KenSue

Friends: (0)
Default Need help with complete setup.

O.K., so here is the deal. I'm a novice and before I put this setup together, I would like to know if anyone see's any problems, or any future problems, with this setup.
I am running an E-Flite park 400 Outrunner 740kv with an elctrifly 9x6 prop, a Turnigy Plush 40 Amp ESC, 02 HXT900 servos, 02 Zippy Flightmax 11.1v 3s Lipo batteries and a Spektrum AR6200 Receiver. The transmitter is a Spektrum DX6I.
The plane is a 25 year old Kyosho Valencia 1800 glider. Don't know the weight yet, but the wingspan is almost 71" (Balsa Wood), and the length is about 31" (hard plastic).
I don't have any concerns with the transmitter. My concern is, because of my limited experience, that the rest of the electrical componenets either don't match up (or someone who knows what they are doing would say that setup is awful).
Any advice on this setup would be appreciated. Oh yeah, the components outside of the plane work well together, haven't flown it yet.
I have gotten some great advice on this forum from someone else who has set one of these old Valencias up, but my setup is different so I thought I would solicit any info I could on my idea for my setup.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,133 Times in 2,042 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Originally Posted by KenSue View Post
O.K., so here is the deal. I'm a novice and before I put this setup together, I would like to know if anyone see's any problems, or any future problems, with this setup.
I am running an E-Flite park 400 Outrunner 740kv with an elctrifly 9x6 prop, a Turnigy Plush 40 Amp ESC, 02 HXT900 servos, 02 Zippy Flightmax 11.1v 3s Lipo batteries and a Spektrum AR6200 Receiver. The transmitter is a Spektrum DX6I.
The plane is a 25 year old Kyosho Valencia 1800 glider. Don't know the weight yet, but the wingspan is almost 71" (Balsa Wood), and the length is about 31" (hard plastic).
I don't have any concerns with the transmitter. My concern is, because of my limited experience, that the rest of the electrical componenets either don't match up (or someone who knows what they are doing would say that setup is awful).
Any advice on this setup would be appreciated. Oh yeah, the components outside of the plane work well together, haven't flown it yet.
I have gotten some great advice on this forum from someone else who has set one of these old Valencias up, but my setup is different so I thought I would solicit any info I could on my idea for my setup.
what size is the lipo and what is the C Rating on it

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-28-2011, 03:18 AM   #3
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (3)

The Lipo won't need much size or C rate since the motor is rated for only 7A/10A burst... and a 9x6 probably won't draw close to those. Heck, I'm the conservative one, yet I'm sure that the 40A ESC is excessive.

I really can't see a 71" glider getting to altitude with <75W.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

If your cowl / nose area is small, this motor will work, its rated at 220 Watts

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

but if you have the room, this motor would be better at 550 Watts

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...5-Sport/Detail

or this one

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

you will need to use your 40 amp ESC with these larger motors.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

The plane is a 25 year old Kyosho Valencia 1800 glider. Don't know the weight yet, but the wingspan is almost 71" (Balsa Wood), and the length is about 31" (hard plastic). .
Be sure to use a folding propeller with your setup. A windmilling prop really adds a LOT of drag. For me, that was like trying to fly with the spoilers in full up. (Hopefully, the front end of your glider will accomodate a folding prop.)
Old 01-29-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
KenSue

Thank you. If I'm reading this right, you think I need 75W
Old 01-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #7
KenSue

The glider is a motor glider with tail drag style landing gear, and a really big nose area.
I just tried the glider on the ground with no main wings, It Screams!. But i will need to work on the sticks on the radio (they are a bit touchy).
A folding prop will be the next thing I try.
For the <75w comment, I'm a little confused (like I said I'm, a novice). What part of the electrical system are you reffering to?
Old 01-29-2011, 12:52 AM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Thank you. If I'm reading this right, you think I need 75W
you need much more than 75W like 200+ Watts, Dr Kiwi said that he cant see how 75 Watts would get the plane to altitude with only 75 Watts, hope that help to clear that up 75 Watts means the power the motor, prop combo will Draw and that relates to power, 75 Watts is not very much at all, and 75 Watts would fly a small parkflier Plane, but not a 2 meter glider type plane, it wont get it off the ground, Take care, Chellie

Old 01-29-2011, 01:29 AM   #9
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

The glider is a motor glider with tail drag style landing gear, and a really big nose area.
I just tried the glider on the ground with no main wings, It Screams!. But i will need to work on the sticks on the radio (they are a bit touchy).
A folding prop will be the next thing I try.
For the <75w comment, I'm a little confused (like I said I'm, a novice). What part of the electrical system are you reffering to?
To give you an idea, it takes 746 watts of power on the motor's shaft to equal one horsepower. So, 75 watts is 75/746 or about 0.1 horses. As others have indicated, this is not enough to fly your glider, you'd have a model that would slowly drop down to the ground under full power.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:36 AM   #10
KenSue

Thanks for the information, I understand now. I'm going to give it a try as soon as I can, and I'll let all of you know what I found out. Again, Thank You.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems