Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > Castle Creations discussion
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Castle Creations discussion All things Castle

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-30-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
Merritt

View Merritt's Gallery1
Club: Austin Radio Control Association
Friends: (8)
Question Ice 75 Controller Resistance

Would like to know the resistance of the Castle Phoenix Ice 75 controller.

Thanks!!

Merritt Pratt
AMA #831578
Round Rock, Texas
Old 01-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Merritt View Post
Would like to know the resistance of the Castle Phoenix Ice 75 controller.

Thanks!!

Interesting, CC doesn't publish that. But, the www.motocalc.com lists the Castle Creations Phoenix 75 Amps resistance as 0.0012 ohms, so suspect the ICE line is in the same area.

I've got a CC 80 Amp HV ESC, they wired this thing with #10 wire.

Since the motor windings are usually 5 or 10 times that 0.001 ohms, the actual power loss in the ESC it self would be pretty low in comparison. In fact, a lot of ESC's don't even use heat sinks on the power Fets that control the high currents involved. The ICE lines do have heat sinks, making them less vulnerable to instantaneous failure due to momentary severe current overloads.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Merritt

View Merritt's Gallery1
Default ICE 75 Resistance

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Interesting, CC doesn't publish that. But, the www.motocalc.com lists the Castle Creations Phoenix 75 Amps resistance as 0.0012 ohms, so suspect the ICE line is in the same area.

I've got a CC 80 Amp HV ESC, they wired this thing with #10 wire.

Since the motor windings are usually 5 or 10 times that 0.001 ohms, the actual power loss in the ESC it self would be pretty low in comparison. In fact, a lot of ESC's don't even use heat sinks on the power Fets that control the high currents involved. The ICE lines do have heat sinks, making them less vulnerable to instantaneous failure due to momentary severe current overloads.
Thanks for the info. I'm using the factor for a Motocalc prediction myself. I spent the better part of one evening searching for the ICE spec. I wondered if the data logging apsect was creating higher than normal resistance for the ICE series, soooooo they left that spec out.
I like my CC, just speculation

Merritt Pratt
AMA #831578
Round Rock, Texas
Old 01-31-2011, 01:28 AM   #4
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Thanks for the info. I'm using the factor for a Motocalc prediction myself. I spent the better part of one evening searching for the ICE spec. I wondered if the data logging apsect was creating higher than normal resistance for the ICE series, soooooo they left that spec out.
I like my CC, just speculation

I dont think thats the case. The only logging item that could even conceivably cause a higher resistance would be the current logging - and they use Hall Effect sensors for that, so zero additional resistance in the circuit. All other items are either calculated or based on voltage readings and fluctuations, so no added resistance there.

Also, based on my personal experience with how cool the ICE units run - even at full rated loads -Im guessing the resistances are at least as low if not lower then lower than the equivalent Phoenix series controllers.

You will be in the ball park at least using the P80 resistance. Its likely your connectors have higher resistance anyway

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 01-31-2011, 04:40 AM   #5
Merritt

View Merritt's Gallery1
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
I dont think thats the case. The only logging item that could even conceivably cause a higher resistance would be the current logging - and they use Hall Effect sensors for that, so zero additional resistance in the circuit. All other items are either calculated or based on voltage readings and fluctuations, so no added resistance there.

Also, based on my personal experience with how cool the ICE units run - even at full rated loads -Im guessing the resistances are at least as low if not lower then lower than the equivalent Phoenix series controllers.

You will be in the ball park at least using the P80 resistance. Its likely your connectors have higher resistance anyway
Thanks for the encouragement on the ICE 75. I'll most likely never be above 50 amps so I expect it to run cool.

Merritt Pratt
AMA #831578
Round Rock, Texas
Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Thanks for the encouragement on the ICE 75. I'll most likely never be above 50 amps so I expect it to run cool.
If you're running the CC ICE with the heat sinks, not the ICE Lite, doubt if that thing will ever be more than slightly warm at 50 Amps. I regularly run my CC Phoenix units right up to their maximum current ratings, and with some air cooling, have never had an issue with temperature rise.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
Merritt

View Merritt's Gallery1
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
If you're running the CC ICE with the heat sinks, not the ICE Lite, doubt if that thing will ever be more than slightly warm at 50 Amps. I regularly run my CC Phoenix units right up to their maximum current ratings, and with some air cooling, have never had an issue with temperature rise.
Thats good to know.

Merritt Pratt
AMA #831578
Round Rock, Texas

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > Castle Creations discussion