Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-31-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
jrflyboyVP2
jr

Friends: (2)
Default HK orange spektrum dsm2 reciever

Just want to let you all know I recently purchased a Orange DSM2 receiver from Hobby King. I had no problems initially but after about 3 flights I made a bad landing and bounced and then nosed over (piper cub), no airplane damage, and I did not even break the slow flyer prop, but the receiver died. No visible damage to the receiver, but I tried to bind it again, but it has some kind of bad solder joint and I can get it to go into bind only by tapping it on a bench, and then it won't hold the signal. I removed the receiver from the case and tried to solder any available solder points on the board, but no luck. I ended up chucking the receiver. So I guess some have had good results with these Spektrum clones, but my one experience has been negative.

Regards,
John R
Old 01-31-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

In life you get what you pay for - for the most part.

Mike
Old 01-31-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
jrflyboyVP2
jr

Yup, No regrets, just wanted to warn others, I won't be buying any more of those.

JR
Old 01-31-2011, 03:49 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by jrflyboyVP2 View Post
Just want to let you all know I recently purchased a Orange DSM2 receiver from Hobby King. I had no problems initially but after about 3 flights I made a bad landing and bounced and then nosed over (piper cub), no airplane damage, and I did not even break the slow flyer prop, but the receiver died. No visible damage to the receiver, but I tried to bind it again, but it has some kind of bad solder joint and I can get it to go into bind only by tapping it on a bench, and then it won't hold the signal. I removed the receiver from the case and tried to solder any available solder points on the board, but no luck. I ended up chucking the receiver. So I guess some have had good results with these Spektrum clones, but my one experience has been negative.

Regards,
John R
I'd hate to see how that receiver would have worked with a glow engine with its associated vibration levels. They'll never see the light of day in any of my Kilowatt powered models. Another thread in wattflyer indicates they've purchased a number of some of these clones, and have found as much as a 30% rejection rate on brand new receivers.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:01 AM   #5
cbatters
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

Which model receiver did you purchase? The one with a rigid orange case?

Tia,

Clint

Current - Ventura, HZ SuperCub-Freedom-Swift-AB3, PZ Typhoon, T-28 Trojan, Radian, AeroAce Biplane
Maiden - F-27C Stryker
10 years Ago - ElectroSoar 2M Glider, 2M Foam Glider, Mirage 550
Retired - Sky Fly, Red Hawk, Extreme, Challenger
Old 01-31-2011, 05:05 AM   #6
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

Frankenstein Build Contest Award  100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW 
Friends: (67)

A buddy of Hircflyer ownes a 25% Pitts. Running a 50cc Gasoline engine, he uses 2 of those RX's in it. He has 2 RX's binded to the TX, as the upper wing us self supporting, with RX, batteries and servos installed.

Its a neat setup, a gorgeous bird with thousands invested, and the cheapest receivers on the planet... I don't get it.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 01-31-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
A buddy of Hircflyer ownes a 25% Pitts. Running a 50cc Gasoline engine, he uses 2 of those RX's in it. He has 2 RX's binded to the TX, as the upper wing us self supporting, with RX, batteries and servos installed.

Its a neat setup, a gorgeous bird with thousands invested, and the cheapest receivers on the planet... I don't get it.
Good Grief, that is scary
Old 01-31-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Club: C.D.P.A.

I've been lucky I guess. I have 20+ flights on mine with absolutely no issues at all. I am using mine on foamy profile planes that are designed and intended to have the snot beat out of them. Thus, they do just as I intended...abused, beaten, and cheap.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
cbatters
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

Is this the version people are talking about?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11965

Clint

Current - Ventura, HZ SuperCub-Freedom-Swift-AB3, PZ Typhoon, T-28 Trojan, Radian, AeroAce Biplane
Maiden - F-27C Stryker
10 years Ago - ElectroSoar 2M Glider, 2M Foam Glider, Mirage 550
Retired - Sky Fly, Red Hawk, Extreme, Challenger
Old 01-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

Frankenstein Build Contest Award  100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW 
Friends: (67)

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Good Grief, that is scary
Dennis, dig this:

Would YOU (or anyone else here) put a non-name-brand unit in this plane? I confirmed he is using using the Hobby King Orange ($29) Futaba FAAST look alike.

Hircflyer is convinced it is the same circuit board with a different cover.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jim H Pitts.jpg
Views:	2414
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	142680  

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 01-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Unreal. Cheap out on the RX, no biggie right? Remarkable. You can bet when he crashes what the focus will be, and perhaps rightly so.

I don't know, maybe I am just foolish with my money.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 PM   #12
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Friends: (6)

I run them in (2) of my cheap foamie 3D birds - so far, so good. Typically those don't get more than 50-60' away from me anyway.

Wouldn't consider them in any of my other electrics, especially something like a 5S Funjet. Don't even let them sit on the same shelf with my gassers or glow stuff

Jeff/LAX
(don't panic - I don't land the planes)
(but I've been known to lie.....)
Old 01-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Jeff - that I can certainly see. You don't care about the plane (well, much anyway) and if it gets out of control damage to others or property is VERY minimal if any.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

I have one on my Rhythm 3D (small biplane, was $12) and my Teriyucki (think profile Edge 540 from Blucor).

Range tested (with the power reduced) the system - still had full control out as far as I felt like walking (about 200 yds - would have gone farther but my damn cigar went out!) - no issues

And yeah - I wouldn't be traumatized (any more than work has already done) if either plane went in. Hell - the Rhythm is Depron - and there's only (2) kinds of Depron - "been crunched" and "waiting to be crunched"

Jeff/LAX
Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #15
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
... there's only (2) kinds of Depron - "been crunched" and "waiting to be crunched"
Ain't it the truth.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #16
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Dennis, dig this:

Would YOU (or anyone else here) put a non-name-brand unit in this plane? I confirmed he is using using the Hobby King Orange ($29) Futaba FAAST look alike.

Hircflyer is convinced it is the same circuit board with a different cover.
It could be the same circuit board with a different cover. Anything can be copied. (Even I could copy the circuit board if I wanted to, they are not that complex.) BUT, it doesn't mean that the same QUALITY of parts were used. There are several different grades of computer chips and electronic components. And, you've also got to deal with counterfeit computer chips and other parts.

Company I worked for before retiring ran into counterfeit memory chips (Made in China) in our $5000 circuit breaker controls that had failure rates some 30 times higher than the original mfg parts.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #17
jrflyboyVP2
jr

The reciever I had was the one in the hard plastic orange case with a single short wire antenna. It is the spektrup DSM2 compatible and I was using a Spektrum Dx5e transmitter. I was flying an old Carl Golberg electric Cub with a brushless motor. The airplane flys and lands pretty slow. The range was no issue, I was flying at a park, but I got the airplane at least over 1000ft away. I also have a genuine spektrum ar6100, and I have crashed airplanes pretty bad with that reciever, and have had no problems. I suspect there must have been a cold solder joint somewhere on or in the board. It did glitch briefly on the first flight, but recovered in the air, and never glitched again, until the rough landing. I would be interested in knowing what percent of these recievers have problems. Most likely if you have a good one, it will be fine and continue to work well. I expect the issues are built in during manufacture and show up early in the field.

John Reinschmidt
retired semiconductor device engineer
Old 02-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #18
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

The only issues I ever had with any of the (real) Spektrum recievers were voltage related. Never had an issue on any of my electrics, had (1) crash (1/4 scale gas Super Cub) and (1) almost crash (survived the reboot time) on my .46 sized P-51B. Both were on 4.8V NiMH. Cub battery lost a cell, verified that. Mustang was turning final, dropping the gear. Mustang now on 6V NiMH, no issues. Except for a few gliders, no more 4.8V for me.

Jeff/LAX
Old 02-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #19
jrflyboyVP2
jr

Yes, I heard about the voltage issues, so I use a BEC on airplanes with more than 2 servos. My cub was old school rudder/elevator so only two servos with 3s lipo and 20amp esc using built in linear 3amp bec. Motor was a 2410-12 with 9-6 prop. I cruise around at 1/2 throttle and get 15-20min. Relaxing fun till winds pick or equipment fails.

john
Old 02-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #20
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by jrflyboyVP2 View Post
I would be interested in knowing what percent of these recievers have problems. Most likely if you have a good one, it will be fine and continue to work well. I expect the issues are built in during manufacture and show up early in the field.

John Reinschmidt
retired semiconductor device engineer
Another wattflyer thread involved someone who is buying some of these China receivers in bulk, testing them, and selling them. He has had as much as a 30% failure rate in these new receivers.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #21
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

View groundrushesup's Gallery45
Club: Hill Country Wattheads
Send a message via AIM to groundrushesup
Awards Showcase

1kW 

Another wattflyer thread involved someone who is buying these China receivers in bulk, testing them, and selling them. He has had as much as a 30% failure rate in these new receivers.
Let's be fair and differentiate between the Spektrum clones which the aforementioned reseller is buying and the OrangeRC receivers which are not the same at all - in fact they were reverse-engineered and use different components to do the same job, and they are demonstrably DSM2 compatible.

One entity is marketing their "product" as an exact copy of an existing design and makes no effort to state the differences at the outset. Boing, the red flags go up.

When another entity markets a product that claims nothing other than interoperability, and it is fairly easy to see it uses proprietary design - I think they deserve a little more credit than being lumped into the same group as the above counterfeiters.

GRU

Everybody's Somebody at The Hill Country Watthead's Thread!
Stop in and see what we're up to!

Visit Our Youtube Channel, too!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #22
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Let's be fair and differentiate between the Spektrum clones which the aforementioned reseller is buying and the OrangeRC receivers which are not the same at all - in fact they were reverse-engineered and use different components to do the same job, and they are demonstrably DSM2 compatible.

One entity is marketing their "product" as an exact copy of an existing design and makes no effort to state the differences at the outset. Boing, the red flags go up.

When another entity markets a product that claims nothing other than interoperability, and it is fairly easy to see it uses proprietary design - I think they deserve a little more credit than being lumped into the same group as the above counterfeiters.

GRU
Agreed:

But, as for me, when I've got a $120 Hacker Motor, $120 CC ESC, $150 A123 battery pack, $100 worth of servos and a $250 model airplane, can't see putting in an inexpensive receiver to control it all. I'll still use the Spektrum transmitters and receivers in my kilowatt powered models.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #23
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

View groundrushesup's Gallery45
Club: Hill Country Wattheads
Send a message via AIM to groundrushesup
Awards Showcase

1kW 

Agreed:

But, as for me, when I've got a $120 Hacker Motor, $120 CC ESC, $150 A123 battery pack, $100 worth of servos and a $250 model airplane, can't see putting in an inexpensive receiver to control it all. I'll still use the Spektrum transmitters and receivers in my kilowatt powered models.

Oh yeah, anything made of balsa is getting a Spektrum with a satellite - a 6200 at least. This rule also applies for gliders.

The ironic exception to this rule is the AR6000 - the DSM1 Rx - I have flown that in my Hobby Lobby Gee Bee Y for 2+ years now and never a glitch, not one. The 6000's are solid receivers.

GRU

Everybody's Somebody at The Hill Country Watthead's Thread!
Stop in and see what we're up to!

Visit Our Youtube Channel, too!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #24
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Oh yeah, anything made of balsa is getting a Spektrum with a satellite - a 6200 at least. This rule also applies for gliders.

The ironic exception to this rule is the AR6000 - the DSM1 Rx - I have flown that in my Hobby Lobby Gee Bee Y for 2+ years now and never a glitch, not one. The 6000's are solid receivers.

GRU
Yup
I've got 7 AR7000's, all but one have been flawless over the past three years. That one had a circuit board problem on the servo connectors. It quit before the model was ever flown. Fixed it myself. Then, a half year later, sent it to Horizon for software updates. They changed out the circuit board! And, that was in 2007.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #25
RCFlyer44

View RCFlyer44's Gallery2
Club: RC Wingers, Mooresville, NC
Send a message via Yahoo to RCFlyer44
Friends: (8)

I just put one of the Orange Rxs in my Stryker and have flown it about a half a dozen times so far, no problems at all and have been to where I can barely see it.

Still a little concerned about putting it in my Balsa Sportster though, might use the AR500 I took out of the Stryker or get the AR6200 with a satellite. Just a point of note though, the Orange HK Rx's do have a port for a satellite antenna, but the antenna costs twice as much as the receiver!

I think I will use them in my foam stuff and keep testing them out. Sorry but when I can get 4 of those for the price of one Spektrum that may have been made in China anyway but doesn't have an American company marking up the prices 400% I am going for it! Kind of like finding out over 80% of the parts for a Cadillac Escalade are made in China or Mexico. Might have an American name on it but that sure don't mean that is where it came from these days.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros