Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
jim81

Friends: (0)
Default Most Mysteries About Connectors Solved

As a very new RC person I find it odd that I might post some 'how to' information on the forum. However, I found it frustrating having to buy "Y" connectors pre-built and pay the rather healthy costs involved. I always needed some kind of extension and that was another fairly significant cost. My home is about 1.5 hours from the LHS. If I need something that's a little different I have to find it online, order it, pay shipping, and then wait for it to arrive.

One of the links on this forum suggested I take a look at the website below.

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/

There, you can buy EVERYTHING you need to build or modify servo and/or battery connectors. They have the parts in bulk, although you don't have to buy bulk, and the tools that are needed to make your own connectors. That site also has PDF files that can teach you more about connectors and what they do than you'll ever need to know.

I used to wonder how in the heck to take the pin out of a servo connector. Now I am building custom connectors for the specific application I am working on. I also ordered a simple little circuit board that allows you to quickly make a "Y" yourself without trying to solder those little wires together.

Some people don't like to solder and to make the servo connectors, you don't have to. There's technical information written on that site that makes sense to a dummy. I didn't know there was a difference between JR and Futaba servo connectors. I downloaded a pdf that explains the differences and how to modify their connectors so it's universal. Did you know there's some voltage drop every time you add a connector? Or...what the resistance is using different gauges of wire?

I don't have any family working there and they paid me nothing for this. Well they did pay me in a way. They gave me the products I needed and the information about how to use the product and made me more independent. They are extremely fast getting orders processed and on the way. All my servos wires from here on out will be custom made for where they sit in the plane.
Regards...jim
Old 02-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
simibill
General Factotum

View simibill's Gallery34
Club: Simi Valley Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Good info there. Thanks for posting.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, Holy Crap... what a ride.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
radialarm
Crash Test Clown!!!

View radialarm's Gallery14
Send a message via MSN to radialarm Send a message via Yahoo to radialarm
Friends: (2)

I've bought some stuff from them as well. Fast shipping and what I wanted was in stock. Great place to buy those little things all of us need.

Visit my homepage! Have A Good One!

Robert

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners