Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-12-2011, 01:45 AM   #1
RCFlyer44

View RCFlyer44's Gallery2
Club: RC Wingers, Mooresville, NC
Send a message via Yahoo to RCFlyer44
Friends: (8)
Default Radio Question Futaba 10Cag vs. DX8

Been thinking of upgrading my radio from a DX6i to a DX8 but my LHS is having a pretty good sale and thinking of the Futaba 10Cag, but the sale also makes the DX8 cheaper too...any thoughts from users of either of these radios?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:04 AM   #2
Trammellc2001

Club: Tulsa Unclub
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (0)
Default Radio Question Futaba 10Cag vs. DX8

I upgraded a few weeks ago from the 6i to the 8 and love it! You will be very pleased!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
RCFlyer44

Thanks Tram, turns out the deal at the LHS was too good to be true, so that keeps the DX8 as my top choice to this point. Wife and I agreed to take some spending money from tax return and this is what I think I will do, probably go look at one in person tomorrow and see if I like it.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by RCFlyer44 View Post
Thanks Tram, turns out the deal at the LHS was too good to be true, so that keeps the DX8 as my top choice to this point. Wife and I agreed to take some spending money from tax return and this is what I think I will do, probably go look at one in person tomorrow and see if I like it.
Spektrum has just come out with a new twist on their radios. Take a look:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSMX/

Looks like this is aimed at those modelers who fly with over 100 other models at the same time, but it is an interesting read.

(Several years ago, the defunct RCReport magazine did a study on these 2.4 Ghz radios. They flew a model directly over 40 Spektrum and Futaba transmitters all turned on with the models transmitter 300 feet away. As rough of a test as you can get. Spektrum was unaffected, Futaba got hit a little, another brand got hit so hard they stopped the test.)

FYI, in my club, everyone who went to 2.4 Ghz is using Spektrum/JR. Your club may vary!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
RCFlyer44

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Spektrum has just come out with a new twist on their radios. Take a look:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSMX/

Looks like this is aimed at those modelers who fly with over 100 other models at the same time, but it is an interesting read.
That was very interesting, I wonder if the newer DX8s come with the DSMX technology, if it doesn't sounds like the 8 is ready to download it from online.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
JBoyd
completely green

Club: KORC
Friends: (0)

That was very interesting, I wonder if the newer DX8s come with the DSMX technology, if it doesn't sounds like the 8 is ready to download it from online.

Thanks for sharing.

The DX8 will be able to perform a firmware update to update to DSMX
Old 02-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 

The Futaba is a fine radio. It will not work with any of your current Spektrum receivers. Does that matter to you? That could be an important consideration.

Futaba will not work with any of the bind and fly planes. Does that matter?

Futaba receivers tend to be more expensive.

DX8 is a big jump in capability from the DX6i and is compatible with all your current receivers. And it will be upgradable to DSMX

Why the upgrade? What are you looking for in features? Is there anything in the Futaba that you want that is not in the DX8?

I like Futaba. I have a pair of Futaba 9Cs. But why are you thinking of moving away from Spektrum? That is the real question.

My question would be more along the line as what does the DX8 lack that the Futaba gives you that you value?

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
RCFlyer44

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
The Futaba is a fine radio. It will not work with any of your current Spektrum receivers. Does that matter to you? That could be an important consideration.

I like Futaba. I have a pair of Futaba 9Cs. But why are you thinking of moving away from Spektrum? That is the real question.

My question would be more along the line as what does the DX8 lack that the Futaba gives you that you value?
Thanks for the response, I actually really like my Spektrum DX6i and currently using it on 3 planes, T-28, Stryker, and a Radian Pro glider. It works great for all of these but wanting to move up to where I might need more channels plus my wife wants to get more invovled in flying, she currently flies my T-28 and has flown the Stryker once on a buddy box but it was pretty squirrely for her, but it gave her the bug and she wants to get a Stryker body, paint it pink or lavender and fly combat with the guys at the club. So I could give her my DX6 and move up to the 8.

As far as the Futaba goes it is just the brand I had years ago before getting back and liked it and I flew a friends stryker with a Futaba and liked the resistance a little better on the sticks, that's all. Plus my Futaba from years ago still works and haven't heard much about Spektrum until I got back into RC so wasn't sure how long they will last, but the more I research the more I am leaning towards sticking with Spektrum.

And yes the receiver issue is a consideration, especially since I have a couple of spare Spektrum receivers for future aircraft.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Cool

snip...

As far as the Futaba goes it is just the brand I had years ago before getting back and liked it and I flew a friends stryker with a Futaba and liked the resistance a little better on the sticks, that's all. Plus my Futaba from years ago still works and haven't heard much about Spektrum until I got back into RC so wasn't sure how long they will last, but the more I research the more I am leaning towards sticking with Spektrum.

And yes the receiver issue is a consideration, especially since I have a couple of spare Spektrum receivers for future aircraft.

Thanks!
I am not here to pitch Spektrum or Futaba or any other brand. I am just asking questions and raising points for your consideration.

Spektrum came on the radio market in 2005, I think with 2.4 GHz systems for cars, perhaps the first on the market. The hit the aircraft market in late 2006 with the DX6, the first 2.4 GHz radio for aircraft, as far as I know. They targeted the parkflyer market and quickly became a huge force in the market. Backed by Horizon Hobby and teamed with JR their market share grew rapidly.

Futaba came out with FASST for aircraft in early 2007, as I recall.

These two dominated the 2.4 market for a long time with Hitec, Airtronics and JR not yet represented. Eventually JR adopted the Spektrum 2.4 GHz system for its radios too. So Spektrum and JR systems are compaible. All the others are unique unto themselves.

You probably know the big 4 as Futaba, JR, Airtronics and Hitec from your earlier days. Today we have the big 5 with Spektrum being the 5th. Today the Spektrum/JR 2.4 system is probalby the dominant 2.4 GHz systems on the market. I would guess Futaba to be second in the 2.4 market. Airtronics came out next and Hitec started delivering 2.4 systems last year.

Just a little history for you. I expect Spektrum/JR will continue to be the dominant brands in 2.4 GHz aircraft radio systems.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 02-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
Merritt

View Merritt's Gallery1
Club: Austin Radio Control Association
Post Took the Plunge from Futaba to DX8

Been thinking of upgrading my radio from a DX6i to a DX8 but my LHS is having a pretty good sale and thinking of the Futaba 10Cag, but the sale also makes the DX8 cheaper too...any thoughts from users of either of these radios?
I have been a true Futaba user for many years and still am. They have been a quality product and I have not had a single problem with TX or the RCVR's.

I have recently moved over from "slimers" to small to medium electrics. I am considered a senior by most standards, and I wanted to follow my alarms and timer closely, but found difficulty with the volume and pitch of these features on my 7C 2.4. My upper range is not as good as it once was. Additionally, add on timers were not something I wanted to do.

I seriously considered the features of the DX8 for electrics and found them very desirable. At the field I found a user and we talked about his DX8. The vibrate, audio alarms and feedback telemetry are useful to me with the type of flying I am doing.

Threads I have read discussed some software bugs, concerns for brownouts, etc. and that still concerns me a little. Also, there has been talk of JR breaking from Spektrum and subsequently move away from the "consumer grade" radios to continue as a premium radio system.

I am sure Futaba and JR along with a few choice others will continue to be outstanding radio systems for larger aircraft (i.e. S-Bus needs)

For now, I took the plunge and traded my 7C 2.4 for a new DX8. Time will tell if it was a good decision of not.

Merritt Pratt
AMA #831578
Round Rock, Texas
Old 02-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Merritt View Post
Threads I have read discussed some software bugs, concerns for brownouts, etc. and that still concerns me a little. Also, there has been talk of JR breaking from Spektrum and subsequently move away from the "consumer grade" radios to continue as a premium radio system.
Those "Brownouts" also concerned me with my DX7 and six AR7000 receivers. (All receivers have been returned to Spektrum for software updates.)

After getting them back, I did check them for deliberate brown outs by reducing the receiver voltage with my variable power supply. These receivers return with full control a split second after return of normal receiver battery voltage.

BUT, if your receiver does go into a "Brown out" condition, its a direct indication your receiver battery (or ESC BEC) simply can not handle the servo load you've got on your receiver battery, (or ESC BEC).

I'm waiting for good weather around SE Wisconsin to fly my new Hacker A60-16M 2400 watt powered Extra 330. That model has 7 Hitec 645MG servos in it, along with a Castle Creations 10 amp uBEC. The model has a backup two cell A123 2300 Mah battery for the uBEC. The backup A123 system adds about 5 ounces weight to the model.

Tests showed that while cycling all servos back and forth, that CC uBEC could drop its voltage output down to where the A123 backup pack took over. The receiver battery will never drop below about 5 Volts DC though, the A123 cells will take care of that.

Take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58310
Old 02-27-2011, 03:37 AM   #12
Merritt

View Merritt's Gallery1

I have seen from your posts you are a dedicated Hacker fan. Do you have similar confidence in Spektrum?

Merritt Pratt
AMA #831578
Round Rock, Texas
Old 02-27-2011, 03:52 AM   #13
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

I have seen from your posts you are a dedicated Hacker fan. Do you have similar confidence in Spektrum?
Yup, I've been flying six AR7000 receivers for three years, without a single glitch. Rock solid. Of course, the receiver battery supplies are rock solid, using either the Castle Creations 10 Amp uBEC's, or the Common Sense uBEC's. For me, both work well.

Everyone in our local RC club running 2.4 Ghz is using either Spektrum or JR equipment, including members that are flying the multi-thousand dollar gas turbine models. For some reason, not a single club member is running 2.4 Ghz Futaba or any other 2.4 Ghz equipment. (Well, except those flying those little bind and fly models, but they use Spektrum radio communications.)

One guy in our club had problems with binding on his Spektrum DX7 radio. Sent it to Horizon. Got it back, a month later, same problem. Sent it back. Horizon gave him a brand new radio. That's been working just fine. That was three years ago.

As for the Hacker motors, I've seen other motors in our club work OK, but like a Ford guy or Chevy guy, I'm sold on the Hackers. Every one I've got will perform exactly per the Hacker specifications. Not like some of those other brands. (And, you can get them fixed in the USA if you bend one up.)
Old 02-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
RCFlyer44

I had a 15% coupon from Horizon Hobby for taking a survey and decided to go ahead and order the DX8, almost half the price of the Futaba I was looking at and all the same features I was looking for, so hard to pass on that. Two of the main features I was looking for that the DX6 does not have was vibration alerts and a timer that started on throttle up instead of me having to remember to flip another switch when I take off (because I always forget until a minute or two into the flight).

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

I had a 15% coupon from Horizon Hobby for taking a survey and decided to go ahead and order the DX8, almost half the price of the Futaba I was looking at and all the same features I was looking for, so hard to pass on that. Two of the main features I was looking for that the DX6 does not have was vibration alerts and a timer that started on throttle up instead of me having to remember to flip another switch when I take off (because I always forget until a minute or two into the flight).

Thanks for all the input guys!
Just a note, Spektrum has stuck in their receiver software to "Flash" the receivers LED on and off, if it encounters a "Brownout" during flight.

So if you ever see one, FIX it by improving the receiver battery or BEC source of power.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:14 AM   #16
Merritt

View Merritt's Gallery1
Thumbs up Castle Creations 10 amp uBEC

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Just a note, Spektrum has stuck in their receiver software to "Flash" the receivers LED on and off, if it encounters a "Brownout" during flight.

So if you ever see one, FIX it by improving the receiver battery or BEC source of power.
All my planes have Castle Creations 10 amp uBEC's Good advice for sure!

Merritt Pratt
AMA #831578
Round Rock, Texas
Old 03-01-2011, 04:53 AM   #17
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

All my planes have Castle Creations 10 amp uBEC's Good advoce for sure!
Read my #11 response in this thread. (seven High Tech 645MG servos CAN overload that CC 10 Amp uBEC!)

But, at any rate, this CC uBEC is far superior to any of the linear voltage regulators often used in the standard ESC units.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #18
RCFlyer44

Just curious at what size planes/battery packs are you guys using BECs. I have not used them yet but all I have are park flyers and ordering an Eflite Ultimate Bipe. I will have to ask at my club but I don't know anyone off the top of my head who is using them. I understand it lowers voltage to the receiver just not sure where it is needed. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #19
Merritt

View Merritt's Gallery1
Wink

Just curious at what size planes/battery packs are you guys using BECs. I have not used them yet but all I have are park flyers and ordering an Eflite Ultimate Bipe. I will have to ask at my club but I don't know anyone off the top of my head who is using them. I understand it lowers voltage to the receiver just not sure where it is needed. Thanks in advance.
I have three e-flite planes: Pulse XT 25e, EUltraStick 25e, and Pitts 12s 15e all with Castle Creations UBEC's in them. Not alot of servos, but some added peace of mind in receiver power.

Merritt Pratt
AMA #831578
Round Rock, Texas
Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #20
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Add my name to using the uBEC's (Switching power supply BEC's). I've used both the Castle Creations, and Common Sense uBEC's on 8 pound airplanes with complete success over the past three years. (That's six of them)

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions