Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Support & Testing > Support & Suggestions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Support & Suggestions If you need tech support post your question here or site suggestions too.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)
Default system lockup? PROBLEM SOLVED!

Anyone else having problems with their computer locking up when calling up Wattflyer? I know it can't be at my end because other websites work fine. I'm using WinXP/IE-7, and it's worked fine for months. Suddenly tonight it locks up whenever I try to load WF.

(I'm writing this on my old WebTV, if you're wondering)

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"

Old 02-17-2011, 02:32 AM   #2
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Nope it is working fine for me I did have a problem with AOL should stand for "always off line" that was freezing up on me the other night.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:43 AM   #3
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

every now and then i'll get glitchs in posting pictures and the loading process goes slowly at times,i guess the servers are busy with many viewers.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!

Old 02-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

It's on the sign in page (obviously I don't know about the rest of the site). Most of the page loads fine, then it stalls at "waiting for.." some image.png. And when I mean stalls it stays frozen, nothing ever loads. I cannot minimize the window or shut down IE, nor can I call up any of the other computer functions. I can sometimes call up the start menu and shut down Windows that way (sometimes). That is in fact the only way I can get out of the freeze-up and sometimes even that won't work and I have to "hard boot" the system (cut power to the computer)!

I'm not having any problems with any other websites, just WF. And what's weirder is I can access it fine with my WebTV, and it will not freeze when accessing it through http://www.skweezer.com. The sign-up will not go through using Skweezer, it just takes me back to the sign-up page. But it doesn't lock up my system.

Any suggestions? I would really like to upload some pictures and WTV doesn't have that capability.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (15)

During the last several months I've noticed not infrequent occasions when a WF page fails to load completely. Since I'm using Linux and either Firefox or Google Chrome I don't experience a complete system hang, nor even a complete browser hang. Usually I'm able to click STOP and RELOAD and the page will refresh and load correctly. I keep meaning to investigate but it always seems like I'm trying to get something else done at the time and then I forget about it. I'll try to take the time to check it out when it happens again.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

Install a copy of Firefox and see if that makes a difference. I think you'll find that most of your problems will disappear.
Also update your Java and flash to the latest versions.
If after all that you still have the same problem I would look at XP or something running in the background as the culprit. Have you installed any new software recently? Installed new hardware or updated drivers? All of these things can cause problems as you describe.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

Originally Posted by Wrongway-Feldman View Post
Install a copy of Firefox and see if that makes a difference. I think you'll find that most of your problems will disappear.
Also update your Java and flash to the latest versions.
If after all that you still have the same problem I would look at XP or something running in the background as the culprit. Have you installed any new software recently? Installed new hardware or updated drivers? All of these things can cause problems as you describe.

Don't talk to me about Firefox. Last time I uploaded it I inherited a whole mess of problems resulting in my computer being in the shop and after a week of trying to fix the damage he finally had to wipe the entire hard drive and reload windows. Fortunatly he was able to save most of my files. However I have spent the last two days reloading and updating all my programs, extra fonts and sound files (those that I was able to re-find on the internet) and trying to get my poor PC back to the way I like it. I'm still having to re-enter stuff, like my address book.

Yeah, I know, y'all are going to say how none of you have even had any problems with it, how it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, yaddayaddayadda. But I got a $90 repair bill that says otherwise!
(end of rant)

I was finally able to get into WattFlyer, by going to the main index page and signing up there (I used to go straight to my user control panel). It's working fine, just like all the other web pages I have visited over the last three days, so it is just the main sign up page that is creating problems (the fact that I've had no problems anywhere else pretty much proves the problem isn't at my end). I will check to see if I have the latest version of Java and Flash though.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

Downloaded the latest versions of Java and Flash, but still no good. I don't know about the sign-in page, but considering I cannot preview any post, use advanced edit, or even normal reply anymore (I'm using quick reply for this), I have little doubt that Sign-in is functional either.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Gents, I linked Mike and Nathen to the thread so they can take a look at things for yea! Hate to read about the issues!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don

Old 02-18-2011, 03:01 AM   #10
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

Thanks. I'm just as stumped as y'all are, I'm using the same system that has been working fine here for years, and still works fine everywhere else. Yet no one else is having the same problems here that I am.

Thank goodness my WebTV isn't affected, I can still read and make [limited] posts through it, at least.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #11
Tiresandals

Friends: (0)

no problem here...

Old 02-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Don. In the meantime, can you list all the browser add-ons that are necessary to use WF? I already have the latest versions of Java and Adobe Flash, as mentioned above. Maybe I'm still missing some essential piece of the puzzle?

The problem is getting worse, now the only page that works is the main page! Fortunately, the mobile-2 version will let me access the forums without any problems, so I can use that for a while. granted, it's limited, but at least I can upload photos to the albums, quote, edit and post replies. Any BB code I have to type long hand.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #13
Wrongway-Feldman

Have you cleared your cache and deleted all cookies?
Sometimes this is overlooked.
Seeing as your issues are getting worse and that it appears that it is only affecting you I would have to conclude that the problem is on your end.

Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:44 AM   #14
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

Wrongway, the entire hard drive was wiped clean just last week! But yes, I have I.E. set to empty the history and temp files every time I close it. I also use C-Cleaner every week at least, which does include cookies in it's clean-up procedure. I've also run my anti virus and spyware cleaners.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:40 AM   #15
Wrongway-Feldman

This is a very curious situation.
Here are a couple of things to try to eliminate some things on your end,
Boot in to safemode with network support and see if you still have problems. If you don't then it is a software issue.
Try a different browser, any one will do. I know you you don't trust Firefox, but Chrome and Opera are both very good and stable. If the issues are not pressent with a different browser then it must me Explorer or an Explorer addon or plugin that is causing the problem.
These are not off the top guesses, Ive been in IT for a very long time and these are standard debugging procedures.
One last thing to try is download and burn to cd a copy of Ubuntu. Boot to the Ubuntu live cd and log on to this site that way. This will in now way affect or touch your windows installation but will allow you to eliminate hardware issues. If everything works from the Ubuntu live cd then it must be software related in the Windows installation.
I hope you can find a solution. This kind of thing can be very frustrating.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:25 AM   #16
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

[QUOTE=FlyWheel; I'm still having to re-enter stuff, like my address book.
[/QUOTE]

H'mmm
Address book. I've used it in yahoo, but found at least for me, I just put all of my address's into MS Word. Then when it's time to send an email, just copy from Word to Yahoo, delete what ever names that won't want a copy of the email, and hit send.

I've got several lists in Word, so just select the proper one. And, if anything happens, that word document is saved to several different hard drives on my PC, plus an external HD.

Something else:
Put your mouse cursor at the top left of your PC screen, then copy your entire desktop using standard copy commands. Save it to a safe location. No it won't save programs, but it will let you know what you had, if something real bad happens to your PC.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:34 AM   #17
lucas45

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
Anyone else having problems with their computer locking up when calling up Wattflyer? I know it can't be at my end because other websites work fine. I'm using WinXP/IE-7, and it's worked fine for months. Suddenly tonight it locks up whenever I try to load WF.

(I'm writing this on my old WebTV, if you're wondering)
try to reset your IE Tools-internet options -advanced and select restore advanced settings as well as reset also check your firewall/antivirus software Disable it and see if you can get to the site If you can enable your firewall/antivirus if still the same still re-enable it. Check smart screen filter if on turn it off close IE and then restart Try the Web page.
Go to Internet options-security and select reset all zones to default.
disable or remove add-ons on your IE
Hopefully you will get it working again!
Ps when ever changing IE settings close IE and then reopen.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #18
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (15)

Don, I've noticed for a couple of months now that, at times, WF pages are very slow to load or even seem to "hang" without loading completely.

Today I had a page that repeated refused to load. I started a WireShark trace of HTTP traffic and then retried loading the page. The page load seemed to hang so I just left it "loading". Eventually, after about 20 minutes, the page finally loaded. I have the whole WireShark trace. Who can I send it to so they can figure out why this is happening?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #19
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Friends: (168)
Unhappy

Hi
Ive been getting slow load times and sometimes IE 8 goes non responsive and i have to wait for the tab to recover
Also still ocassionally have trouble uploading files and attachments
Take care
Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."

Old 02-22-2011, 12:27 AM   #20
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

Posted via Mobile Device

I think I located the problem! I can't fix it myself, but I'm pretty sure I know where it is. I took my PC back to the repairman and we hooked it up to his internet service, loaded WattFlyer and everything worked fine! Ergo it is not my computer, nor is it anything in your servers. It must be something with my provider; that's the only option left. I have written their customer support with the problem and the URL of WattFlyer. Now all I can do is wait and see "Watt" happens.

Thanks for at least trying to help, it was out of y'alls hands though.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #21
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Talking Problem solved!

It was my service, or rather a caching software that they had recently uploaded to my browser (basically, it stores complete web pages, not just images and other files). Normally this system works fine, however for some reason WattFlyer gave it indigestion and it would freeze everything up!

Fortunatly, it can be shut off, and they showed me how. And when I did WF worked fine again. A little slow, but then it may just be busy at the moment. Anyways, I'm back on the flight line!!!!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #22
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Hey glad to hear you have a solution to your problem!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:50 PM   #23
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Friends: (168)

Hi
Thats wonderful
I on the other hand still have slow load times and unresponsive pages sometimes
Take care
Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."

Old 03-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #24
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Hi
Thats wonderful
I on the other hand still have slow load times and unresponsive pages sometimes
Take care
Hank
I get that from time to time too. But at least everything is loading! What I do when things get real slow is to use one of the mobile versions.

If you ask me the 'net has gotten so overloaded with "wiz-bang" I'm amazed it still works at all. Give me a site with quality content and I could care less how fancy it is.

Posted via Mobile Device

Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #25
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Take notice of when school lets out for a vacation week or summer. That seems to bog down the Internet quite a bit. When we had charter in the house doing some wiring I asked about this very thing and he did say it will slow it down. Every one is vying for the wire. Clutters up the internet servers with traffic.

Closed Thread

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Support & Testing > Support & Suggestions