Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
zzlentz
Member
 
zzlentz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ar-Kansas
Posts: 358
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Club: Local Sports Bar
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (10)
Default Don't Waste Money On 2 Channels

This is of course my opinion.
However,if you are new to the hobby such s I,stay away from 2 channel planes.
I bought 6 of these and not 1 flew.Well,1 did,and I guess it's still up there.
But for the most part,these are just toys you buy your kids for Christmas.
If you want to learn buy good 3 channel and save your money.I had 300.00 invested in these,like buying fireworks,gone in a day.
Again,my opinion.
zzlentz is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
NJSwede
3D wannabe
 
NJSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,645
View NJSwede's Gallery1
Thanked 99 Times in 96 Posts
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

1kW 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (10)
Default

Did you get to fly the Champ yet?

AMA #959089
NJSwede is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
zzlentz
Member
 
zzlentz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ar-Kansas
Posts: 358
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Club: Local Sports Bar
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (10)
Default

Hi Swede,
Not yet way too windy.I'm taking everyone's advice and laying low.
Gusts of 20 mph and March is on the way.Don't know when I will get it up.
But I have more time on the Sim this way.
The only way I can land the Cub on FMS. is to glide it in.Will that work in real life?
zzlentz is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
NJSwede
3D wannabe
 
NJSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,645
View NJSwede's Gallery1
Thanked 99 Times in 96 Posts
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

1kW 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (10)
Default

[QUOTE=zzlentz;785864
The only way I can land the Cub on FMS. is to glide it in.Will that work in real life?[/QUOTE]

In my noob experience: Yes, but only if the wind is very light. Any gusts, and you will wobble all over the place. If you come in with a little more throttle, you have better momentum to fight the wind with. If you completely cut throttle, you're at the mercy of the elements. Again, this is in my noob experience. The experts may chime in on this... :-)

Landings in FMS are actually trickier than in real life, since there (from what I can remember) is no "ground in view" mode. In real life, your field of vision is wider and you can make out where the ground is from "the corner of your eye" even if you're focusing on the plane. More advanced simulators mimic this by slightly messing with perspective and zoom so you'll have the ground in view most of the time.

AMA #959089
NJSwede is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN
 
kenchiroalpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,837
View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Thanked 299 Times in 293 Posts
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (168)
Default

Originally Posted by zzlentz View Post
This is of course my opinion.
However,if you are new to the hobby such s I,stay away from 2 channel planes.
I bought 6 of these and not 1 flew.Well,1 did,and I guess it's still up there.
But for the most part,these are just toys you buy your kids for Christmas.
If you want to learn buy good 3 channel and save your money.I had 300.00 invested in these,like buying fireworks,gone in a day.
Again,my opinion.
Hi
So sorry that your 2 channel experiance didnt go better
I have many 2 channel aircraft and most fly well
You can see some of them here
http://www.rchangout.com/forums/album.php?albumid=15
Take care
Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
kenchiroalpha is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
zzlentz
Member
 
zzlentz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ar-Kansas
Posts: 358
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Club: Local Sports Bar
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (10)
Default

Hi Ken,
I did say,in MY opinion.I don't doubt it could have been pilot error.
You have a nice collection there!!
zzlentz is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN
 
kenchiroalpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,837
View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Thanked 299 Times in 293 Posts
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (168)
Default

Originally Posted by zzlentz View Post
Hi Ken,
I did say,in MY opinion.I don't doubt it could have been pilot error.
You have a nice collection there!!
Hi
Thanks
They can be a bit of a chore to get to operate well
Also Airhogs and Air rage are the best 2 channel aircraft out there
If your going to try 2 channel again stick with those brands
Best of luck with your flight training
Take care
Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
kenchiroalpha is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798
 
MaxAdventure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Mork and Mindy
Posts: 1,110
View MaxAdventure's Gallery2
Thanked 108 Times in 105 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to MaxAdventure
Awards Showcase

3kW  1kW  2kW 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (7)
Default

Originally Posted by zzlentz View Post
This is of course my opinion.
However,if you are new to the hobby such s I,stay away from 2 channel planes.
I bought 6 of these and not 1 flew.Well,1 did,and I guess it's still up there.
But for the most part,these are just toys you buy your kids for Christmas.
If you want to learn buy good 3 channel and save your money.I had 300.00 invested in these,like buying fireworks,gone in a day.
Again,my opinion.
Not wasting money:

I think it depends on what your goals are. As kenchiroalpha points out if you like messing with the 'big box store' type planes they can be a kick. (I've really enjoyed my Estes 2ch)

If your goal/dream is to have a 78" P51 mustang (as an example) I'd say don't waste your time with 3ch either. To get to that goal (and have many happy flights with said aircraft) you have a series of skills you need to work on including coordinated turns, cross wind, flairs, etc. and learning good techniques from the beginning I think will get you there faster with fewer bad habits. In the same regard you should invest in a good radio to begin with. A good radio for that mustang (7ch-9ch or more) will be great for your starter plane(s) and last you for years and work great on your goals, all without 'wasting' money on lesser radios.

My point is 'making due' in this hobby when you want more out of it will lead to higher expenses and frustration. Sadly it's really hard to see until you've been there. Just wanting to show another perspective and I'm not saying there isn't a place for 2ch, 3ch etc. Like I said, I really enjoy them too and have several. I just really hate equipment failures and want to encourage people to think about what they want to hopefully avoid some common equipment mistakes, especially with some of the amazingly cheap stuff available these days.

There is ALWAYS room for some levity in your brevity!
MaxAdventure is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
zzlentz
Member
 
zzlentz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ar-Kansas
Posts: 358
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Club: Local Sports Bar
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (10)
Default

Thanks Max,
I do have a lot of learning to do.
2 Channel didn't work for me,I hope the Champ and Mini Super cub will give me what I need.
As far as starting to learn on a 4 Channel,I would rather trash a 3 first. I have the Dynam Grand Cruiser and sure don't want it destroyed right out of the box.
zzlentz is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN
 
kenchiroalpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,837
View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Thanked 299 Times in 293 Posts
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (168)
Talking

Originally Posted by MaxAdventure View Post
Not wasting money:

I think it depends on what your goals are. As kenchiroalpha points out if you like messing with the 'big box store' type planes they can be a kick. (I've really enjoyed my Estes 2ch)

If your goal/dream is to have a 78" P51 mustang (as an example) I'd say don't waste your time with 3ch either. To get to that goal (and have many happy flights with said aircraft) you have a series of skills you need to work on including coordinated turns, cross wind, flairs, etc. and learning good techniques from the beginning I think will get you there faster with fewer bad habits. In the same regard you should invest in a good radio to begin with. A good radio for that mustang (7ch-9ch or more) will be great for your starter plane(s) and last you for years and work great on your goals, all without 'wasting' money on lesser radios.

My point is 'making due' in this hobby when you want more out of it will lead to higher expenses and frustration. Sadly it's really hard to see until you've been there. Just wanting to show another perspective and I'm not saying there isn't a place for 2ch, 3ch etc. Like I said, I really enjoy them too and have several. I just really hate equipment failures and want to encourage people to think about what they want to hopefully avoid some common equipment mistakes, especially with some of the amazingly cheap stuff available these days.
Hi
Well said great posting
Excellent advice
Take care
Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
kenchiroalpha is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798
 
MaxAdventure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Mork and Mindy
Posts: 1,110
View MaxAdventure's Gallery2
Thanked 108 Times in 105 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to MaxAdventure
Awards Showcase

3kW  1kW  2kW 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (7)
Default

I should have added in my first post, I can't imagine starting a 4ch without an instructor and/or plenty of sim time. Alone, a 3ch is a fantastic way to get outside and have success with flying. Someone proficient on 3ch should do okay on their own in a transition to 4ch.

There is ALWAYS room for some levity in your brevity!
MaxAdventure is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 5,038
View solentlife's Gallery47
Thanked 209 Times in 206 Posts
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (8)
Default

2ch can work ... but you have to stay away from supermarket trash ....

There are many gliders for example that are 2ch ... and work very nicely.

One of the problems as I see it ... is the transition from such to a 3 / 4 or more Ch model. If you fly with the single function on each stick type of cheap 2ch radio - then you learn a system that will be a real problem to fly better ch's radios.

So as I did - you fly gliders etc. as 2ch on one stick (mode 2) or set the elevator / turn controls as per split sticks (mode 1). So when you move up ch's - you are still in the groove.

Basically by flying that 2ch on a proper multi ch radio.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
solentlife is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
eflight-ray
Member
 
eflight-ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: South Wales, UK
Posts: 559
Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

The good thing about learning to fly single channel RC planes all those years ago, (rudder control only), was you learned how to trim a model to fly properly, (hands off for power and the glide, basically as a a free flight model). I leaned a lot that still helps today.

Now, if beginners open the box and it doesn't fly perfectly first time,............. ...........

Ray in Wales
As I get older I think more and more about the hereafter.
I walk into a room, and think, 'now what was it that I'm here after?' :o
eflight-ray is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #14
NJSwede
3D wannabe
 
NJSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,645
View NJSwede's Gallery1
Thanked 99 Times in 96 Posts
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

1kW 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (10)
Default

Originally Posted by eflight-ray View Post
The good thing about learning to fly single channel RC planes all those years ago, (rudder control only), was you learned how to trim a model to fly properly, (hands off for power and the glide, basically as a a free flight model). I leaned a lot that still helps today.

Now, if beginners open the box and it doesn't fly perfectly first time,............. ...........
I'm in the process of teaching myself how to fly using RTF and BNF models. None of them flew perfect out of the box, so I had to learn (and I'm still learning) how to trim them. How is that any different?

AMA #959089
NJSwede is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
eflight-ray
Member
 
eflight-ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: South Wales, UK
Posts: 559
Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
I'm in the process of teaching myself how to fly using RTF and BNF models. None of them flew perfect out of the box, so I had to learn (and I'm still learning) how to trim them. How is that any different?
How is that different ?

Well in the early days of RC we didn't have any Tx trims, so any 'trimming' had to be on the model itself. Packing the wing and/or tail to change the incidence angle to trim for a good glide. Ensuring the wing had no, (or matching warps/twists, and washout), to ensure it flew fairly straight hands off. Trimming the thrust line for power flight.

I am not knocking what goes on today with RTF and BNF models that need trimming. It's nice to know that some beginners still care about trimming a model, not just setting the Tx trims and leaving it at that.

According to one forum on the new RTF micro Mosquito, some buyers are even having trouble opening the box, to the point that some are saying they wont buy one.

Ray in Wales
As I get older I think more and more about the hereafter.
I walk into a room, and think, 'now what was it that I'm here after?' :o
eflight-ray is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #16
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN
 
kenchiroalpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,837
View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Thanked 299 Times in 293 Posts
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (168)
Talking

Hi
Heres some of my 2 channel aircraft
Do enjoy
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
Heres some 2 channel helis
#
#
#
#
#
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
kenchiroalpha is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #17
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 5,038
View solentlife's Gallery47
Thanked 209 Times in 206 Posts
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (8)
Default

Originally Posted by eflight-ray View Post
How is that different ?

Well in the early days of RC we didn't have any Tx trims, so any 'trimming' had to be on the model itself. Packing the wing and/or tail to change the incidence angle to trim for a good glide. Ensuring the wing had no, (or matching warps/twists, and washout), to ensure it flew fairly straight hands off. Trimming the thrust line for power flight.

I am not knocking what goes on today with RTF and BNF models that need trimming. It's nice to know that some beginners still care about trimming a model, not just setting the Tx trims and leaving it at that.

According to one forum on the new RTF micro Mosquito, some buyers are even having trouble opening the box, to the point that some are saying they wont buy one.
Something in this is one of the matters that I feel is close to heart. Trimming a model. Not the glide test or trimming while flying - but the altering of control links to take out the 'offcentre' trim amount that Tx had after flight. To return Tx trim to neutral.

The problem now with modern programmable radios is that many have digital trims now that when you change model memory - the trims set up for the model. Being digital - each memory remembers the offset trims - giving the impression that all is well with the model.
The old mechnical trims couldn't do similar ... so if you changed models - you had to alter the trims to suit. So we all sorted out our models to have neutral Tx trims wherever possible.

Like many new or more modern developments - I think this will lead to lazy set-ups and fewer people actually setting up linkages to neutral trims. They'll just rely on the digital nature of the Tx to remember the settings for particular models.

Blimey - I can remember steaming wings / tailplanes to take out or increase warp / washout etc. I can remember shimming a tailplane or wing to alter glide ....

How many still use a water bath to apply a thin film to wings of indoor rubber jobs ? Tissue propellors and all that ....

Yep - the Good Ol Days !!

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
solentlife is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Reply

  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Something small with 2 wings and 4 channels? Toby B Indoor & Micro Electric Planes 17 01-06-2011 04:04 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Charities we support Select: Yorkie Rescue  ::  Crohn's & Colitis Foundation



Page generated in 1.08039 seconds with 74 queries