Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-31-2011, 02:59 AM   #1
bulletbob

Friends: (0)
Default Flight Simurlator

Hello Folks
First post and bewarned I can't spell so please bear with me,I don't talk so well either.
I downloaded the FLS and installed it but it does not work on my machine.Is there a key that I don't have.
I have a very small amount to spend on this hobby but I want to do it because my son is into it and it will allow me to spend time with him.He said that I need a flight sim.,I bought the Microsoft one , it don't want to work either.I have a controller that hooks to the computer .
Thanks for your kind reply
Bulletbob
Old 01-31-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

I'll guess you mean FMS (not FLS)....but to help we'll need to know what happens when you try it, exactly what controller you have and also what version of Windows you're running.

Unfortunately just "does not work on my machine" isn't really enough information to go on.

Steve
Old 01-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Club: Gooney Birds Flo, SC
Friends: (13)
Default Flt Sims

:ws If your using FMS on a vista machine you will most likely need this file to make it work,

http://www.d3drmdll.com/

it will need to be loaded into the program in the right place

The other free rc sim that IMHO is worth a go

http://rcdeskpilot.com/

here is a link to a forum that may help as well!

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Old 01-31-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

Welcome bulletbob! Your spelling is GREAT compared to some.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

wat's rong with his speling?

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
Flywhat2
One hitch AE1 -- USN

Friends: (5)

Hi Bulletbob,
I'm only a little ahead of you. I know a little about computers(enough to be dangerous). When I first tried FMS I found I needed a much better graphics card. Actually it's called a video card because it's meant for playing videos which is what a flight simulator is basically. It needs quite a lot of memory and will have its own processor.
By the way (BTW) Microsoft FS is not going to teach you anything about flying radio control model planes.
Some people think you NEED a fancier simulator like Realflight or Phoenix but for beginners like us who don't have a lot to spend on this hobby, FMS works just fine. I have been using it for several months now and have just recently mastered landing (the hardest part) almost every time without crashing.
When you say you have a controller, I hope you mean a real radio control transmitter with two sticks, etc. That way you are learning with a controller which you will actually be flying with later.
Someone mentioned that you need to tell us exactly what is happening when you try to run FMS, like does it actually come up on your screen? or do you get an error message? If you get a message, what does it say?
If it comes up on screen what does it do (or NOT do)? Can you get someone who is sharp on computers to look at it to be sure your system will run FMS? If its an old computer it may be too slow. My first system was too slow and needed more memory before i could run it.
All the above would help to isolate your problem.
Please let us know what you find out and we will help if we can.
All the best to you, and hope you get FMS to run soon.
Fly (Lo'nSlo)
Old 02-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
TylerJCooper

Club: Attempted to start an Omaha Park Club (Aeronuts)
Friends: (8)

Bulletbob, where do you live? There might be someone in your area that can help you out?

Sir Isaac Newton had an apple, I have a plane.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:24 AM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Bulletbob, respectfully, and I'm going to be very careful here not to overstate my case like I did last time, especially if you're going to have to spend quite a bit of money getting your computer up to snuff with a new graphics card, memory and possibly more, then you're going to quickly and correctly conclude that the free sims aren't going to tell you much other than shove the right stick forward, the plane pitches down, pull it back the plane pitches up, etc. That will lead you to spend some serious money on another sim, up to and including Real Flight.

What in the world is wrong with saving a BUNCH of money and hassle and just buying a good learner plane to get oodles of real stick time on? NO simulator is going to precisely model ANY plane, don't even get me started about laughable attempts to model atmospheric behavior. Unless you have a military budget you're not going to be able to simulate your plane close enough on a computer to help you a lot in the air, short of learning rudimentary skills to prevent crashing it. You can learn to deal with "control reversal" as the plane flies toward you, for instance. But you can learn all that from a real plane too!

You can whip over to Harbor Freight and buy a really nice beginner plane for $99, the Wild Hawk. You can buy a Parkzone Vapor or Ember 2 RTF with radio and even batteries included for $130 and be flying for real 20 minutes later! With a proper learn to fly plane you can learn by getting real stick time--LOTS OF IT! Because with the micros you can walk out your front door, toss the plane in the air and fly if you have 10 minutes. Yes, the micros don't like wind, but because of the convenience of flying where you live instead of traveling to a remote field, you'll still get tons of stick time.

Why spend more money to fly an imaginary not so accurate fake plane when you can save lots and fly for real? The Wild Hawk is larger and will need about a football field's space to learn on. And there are plenty of other suitable planes that would serve you just as well. The Champ crowd is just screaming now that I've not mentioned them. It's by far the most durable micro out there and the price is right there with the Ember and Vapor--lower, I think! Super Cub guys are chasing me, I gotta go!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
bulletbob

Friends: (0)
Default FMS

Thanks for the replies.I was missing the DLL files,I got them now and have gotten FMS on my computer.I looks real good.The problem I have now is that it will not reconize my radio.It is a radio from a realflight sim.
I downloaded Desk pilot and it see my radio but the controls are all messed up.I have to spend some more time on this.
My son gave a an older issue of real flight but it will not work on my computer,at least I can not get it too.
In the mean time I have been trying to fly a little.I made a slow stick kind of a plane.My pal says it flys real good.I think it will fly better with airelons but he said I don't need them.When I flew my son's plane with airelons it seemed to fly much easyer than just a rudder.The turns where much easyer to make and I did not have to add as much elavotor after the turn.
Anyhow that is where I am now.
Thanks Bulletbob

Old 02-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Thanks for the replies.I was missing the DLL files,I got them now and have gotten FMS on my computer.I looks real good.The problem I have now is that it will not reconize my radio.It is a radio from a realflight sim.
I downloaded Desk pilot and it see my radio but the controls are all messed up.I have to spend some more time on this.
My son gave a an older issue of real flight but it will not work on my computer,at least I can not get it too.
In the mean time I have been trying to fly a little.I made a slow stick kind of a plane.My pal says it flys real good.I think it will fly better with airelons but he said I don't need them.When I flew my son's plane with airelons it seemed to fly much easyer than just a rudder.The turns where much easyer to make and I did not have to add as much elavotor after the turn.
Anyhow that is where I am now.
Thanks Bulletbob

Desk Pilot lets you reassign all the channels to selected controls on the plane. You might expect channel 1 to be throttle, channel 2 elevator, channel 3 rudder and so on, but if your controller is wired somehow different Desk Pilot lets you choose your function for each channel. It also has "servo reversing." You'll be able to get it working fine with a little fussing.

Your friend is right. You don't need ailerons to learn to fly. And you're right. Planes with ailerons tend to turn easier.

While three channel planes simplify the control process they also teach you a fatal habit. They have to built with dihedral in order to give the rudder the ability to induce roll to make the plane turn. The planes are very stable and will automatically right themselves when you neutralize the controls. You learn to give the plane rudder to start the turn and hold the rudder over all during the turn, then release it to resume straight flight.

That's not how an aileron plane works! While an aileron plane can be very stable, as the Parkzone T-28 Trojan, it doesn't have enough dihedral angle to be self correcting! You use the aileron to initiate the turn, then release the control when you reach your desired bank angle. The plane will stay that way until you bank in the opposite direction to level the wings. Unlike the three channel trainer that knows how to fly and does it by itself, an aileron plane merely does what you tell it, not matter how stupid! If you're a three channel flier like I have been so far you call that "unstable" or "dangerously unstable" depending on your level of inexperience. But if you're an experienced flier you call it "controllable" and love it.

If you've flown an aileron plane, you might be well served by an E-flight Apprentice type aileron trainer. Sounds like you are doing well with both real and simulated flight. Keep us posted!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners