Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
Flysohigh
electrified

Friends: (0)
Default GENS Ace lipo battery

i finally received my 3300 4s gens ace lipo and the cells are all screwed up, first of all the packs voltage was 15.12 which from past experience is really low, i have 2 IMAX B6 chargers and the first charge i did the cells read:4.19 4.17 4.19 4.18, this was strange to me but i figured its a new battery so ill cycle it maybe it will straighten out. I discharged it and charged it up again at 3.0 amps, it read this time 4.20 4.18 4.17 4.18, this to me is garbage because even the turnigy batteries i have ordered balance out correctly from day 1, Anyone have any of their own feedback about their experience with Gens Ace lipo packs?

To Berlin and back
Old 02-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Swift428

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by Flysohigh View Post
the cells are all screwed up Ö this to me is garbage

Welllllll Ö let me throw this thought/idea out for starters. Letís assume that your IMAX charger has the brain power to somehow calculate how much each cell voltage should be charged during GEN Aceís 4S initial conditioning period. Letís even take a big leap and assume the telepathy between your IMAX B6 and GENS Ace 4S is able to actually(for REAL) determine the ideal top-end charged voltage for each cell during itís first few cycles of conditioning Ö sooooo that at the LVC (whether 3.0v or 3.2v per cell) each of the four cells will have near identical discharge voltages that are within 0.05 volts of each other.

If you noticed the combined top-end voltage both times for the 4 cells was 16.73 volts. Thanks to the TLC telepathy between your brainy GENS Ace and IMAX B6 your new 4S LiPo with its initial conditioning fill-up of 16.73v rather than 16.8 volts is to be envied. Also, is there really a problem with a storage/shipping voltage of 15.12v(3.78 volts per cell) for your new GENS Ace 4S 16.8v 3300mAh LiPo. Isn't 10.80v(3.60v per cell) good enough for storing a 3S LiPo.

In order to accomplish this telepathy feat Ö each cellís conditioning voltage canít be exactly equal at 4.1825v per cell (16.73/4). Each of the GEN Aceís four 3300mAh cells were matched just as meticulous as any other top-line LiPo QC manufacturer's zero tolerance benchmark. NASA can afford/expect GAs engineer geeks to custom build a 4S LiPo, but do you really need to carry aboard a near perfect $5000 4S LiPo in your toy plane.

Instead of berating your new GENS Ace perhaps you should be congratulating it Ö just my 2 cents
Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Flysohigh
electrified

all i want is a clear explanation on why none of my other 4s 2800-3350 packs give me this cell issue? (my last cycle seems like its getting better it now reads 4.20 4.19 4.20 4.20) seems like it just takes a few cycles. its not my charger because i can stand behind this charger until i back out this hobby after charging over 450 lipos in the past with it i am astonished at how well it works for me.

To Berlin and back
Old 02-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Club: How Much Is The Cover?
Send a message via Yahoo to LipoPilot Send a message via Skype™ to LipoPilot
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (24)

Best lipo I ever used, has taken me miles above the earth...literally.

Thanks For The Airspace,
Lipo Pilot
My Website My Videos My Twitter R/C Liveshow
Old 02-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
Flysohigh
electrified

cells finaly balancing after 4 cycles

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Image.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	143805  

To Berlin and back
Old 02-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Swift428

Here's one NASA geek's suggestion for a GENS Ace LiPo benchmark by which to compare every other LiPo brand and pack size.

During the initial conditioning set LVC at 3.2 volts per cell(12.8v for 4S). A couple minutes after LVC check to see how much difference there is in voltage between the highest and lowest cell voltage. The closer the voltages the better matched are the pack's individual cells.

After 15 minutes write down the resting bounce back recovery voltages of each cell. Ideally they should be within 0.01 volts of each other with no more than 0.02 volts difference between the highest cell and lowest cell. Then after 30 minutes from LVC again record the resting voltages of each cell.

Edit...

...during the first initial conditioning charge/discharge cycle set LVC at 3.3v per cell (13.2v for 4S) just in case the cells aren't perfectly matched. Then, when checking the differences in the resting cell voltages just after LVC you will see if one cell happens to be lower than the others by more than say ... 0.25 volts. Hopefully, the cells are relatively close in voltages with a LVC of 13.2v for a 4S. Then set LVC at 12.8v (3.2v per cell) and do your second initial conditioning charge/discharge cycle as your benchmark of record.

This record will then become your GENS Ace benchmark for getting a pretty good idea when comparing the initial qualilty of any LiPo pack whether 2S,3S or 4S.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
Flysohigh
electrified

Gensace-16.76v/70.8a/1085w. 212w/lb. 8 cycles

Turnigy- 16.75v/66.5a/991w. 194w/lb. 20 cycles

E-flite-16.80v/67.13a/995.9w. 195w/lb. 31 cycles

2/24/11

Ga-8
T-20. Cycles.
E-31

Eflite holds more charge and steady amperage and more amperage than the turnigy eflite having more cycles. gensace is so far winning here ( youngest battery)

To Berlin and back
Old 02-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Swift428

Thumbs up

The possible irony here is that the LiPo cells in each of these packs could have all been produced by the same Asian manufacture then assembled in USA or Mexico or Canada ... then next year somewhere else. QC conditions can change from day to day. Maybe Supervisor, George has a hangover every Monday; while GeorgieGirl's meticulous midas oversite is flawless.

Will every new 2012 Ford Focus Electric perform exactly the same or will some outperform and others underperform. Most everything always seem to work the best when NEW.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
JBoyd
completely green

Club: KORC

Originally Posted by Swift428 View Post
The possible irony here is that the LiPo cells in each of these packs could have all been produced by the same Asian manufacture then assembled in USA or Mexico or Canada ... then next year somewhere else. QC conditions can change from day to day. Maybe Supervisor, George has a hangover every Monday; while GeorgieGirl's meticulous midas oversite is flawless.
the cells in Gens Ace lipos are all manufactured by Acepow in China, there is no worry that a different manufacture will be making the cells next year.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
Swift428

there is no worry that a different manufacture will be making the cells next year.
... didn't say making ... said "assembling." I think you got my rather extravagant example, but it never hurts for one or both of us to be a stŪklər for accuracy ...

... there are always going to be variables in manufacturing production and assembly, even if done in the same building. I doubt Acepow, HorizonHobby, etc know which four cells used in a 4S 3300mAh Turnigy or E-flite or GENS Ace will outperform or underperform the other. Or which production plant has the better QC or highest zero tolerance benchmark or best production run or best cleanroom facilty or most compotent assemblers, etc.

The majority of these LiPo's are probably used in toys not scientific research equipment, and by penny pinching consumers. So, the competition among LiPo brands (GENS Ace, Turnigy, E-flite, etc) is more about marketing lingo than rocket science.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:35 AM   #11
Flysohigh
electrified

After 17 cycles I ran a watt meter test and the gens ace battery isn't too bad afterall

To Berlin and back
Old 04-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #12
hobbypartz

Default Why Gens Ace is the #1 LiPo Battery in RC

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video
Old 09-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #13
hobbypartz

Hello fellow pilots, just drop by to let you guys know that another big sales on Gens Ace lipo is up. For those that missed out on the Facebook special, we hope you didn't cry but if you did, you can wipe away those tears now because now you can get extremely high performance lipo pack that cheap USD can buy! Good luck and have fun everybody!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #14
hobbypartz

Check out this interesting video showing the Gens Ace performance against other brands out there
Old 11-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
dditch66

View dditch66's Gallery2

Gens Ace Battery coupon available now for 10% certain size packs
Hobbypartz Coupon code

Gens Ace Review

Gens Ace is all I buy now. I have small 800mAh packs and as large as 5300mAh packs. They are performing much better than my turnigy nanotechs and Blue Lipo or Turnigy Flightmax for sure. 25C Gens is like a 35C Flightmax

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers