Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
Skyydogg

Club: Sun Valley Flyers
Friends: (0)
Default Futaba T9CAP to Spectrum Conversion query

Hi, I am converting my T9CAP using the SPEKTRUM module conversion that will make my radio a DSM2 2.4 GHz conversion. It comes with an AR7000 Receiver.

Question #1 the Futaba battery and servo connectors are keyed it looks like all the servo & battery connections on the AR7000 receiver are not keyed. Of course the simple solution is to cut off the key, but is this the RIGHT solution? While I can't take it back to the hobby shop. They have a no return policy. I may have to purchase a better receiver for the next plane.

Question #2... Binding. The manual says that when I turn this hummer on it's going to blink indicating it's ready to bind. I should insert the binding plug and push the bind button on the back of the module on the TX unit. Do that and it works. Plug in my wings and the aileron servo and the RX then blinks all the time. WTFO? Do I need to re-bind it every time I add a servo? This is the first spread spectrum aircraft I have ever used.

Question #3 Instructions state that if I use an ESC I will need to plug the binding plug into the battery connection and bind the unit. Um, how? Am I a Kimosabe or just stupid? If I plug the bind plug into the battery connection how does the radio Receiver get any power. Since my radio doesn't receive any power from the ESC while it's flying. The ESC in my system isn't designed to provide power to my radio unit but only to power the stepper motor.

Any help you can provide would be helpful. I have been waiting over 2 hours now for a call back from HobbyZone's friendly call back service even though they said it would be a 45 minute wait. I would like to fly tomorrow, today is shot but there is still hope for tomorrow.

Thanks ever so much Scott aka Skydog and his faithful flying poodle Hemi.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:33 AM   #2
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Originally Posted by Skyydogg View Post
Hi, I am converting my T9CAP using the SPEKTRUM module conversion that will make my radio a DSM2 2.4 GHz conversion. It comes with an AR7000 Receiver.

Question #1 the Futaba battery and servo connectors are keyed it looks like all the servo & battery connections on the AR7000 receiver are not keyed. Of course the simple solution is to cut off the key, but is this the RIGHT solution? While I can't take it back to the hobby shop. They have a no return policy. I may have to purchase a better receiver for the next plane.

Question #2... Binding. The manual says that when I turn this hummer on it's going to blink indicating it's ready to bind. I should insert the binding plug and push the bind button on the back of the module on the TX unit. Do that and it works. Plug in my wings and the aileron servo and the RX then blinks all the time. WTFO? Do I need to re-bind it every time I add a servo? This is the first spread spectrum aircraft I have ever used.

Question #3 Instructions state that if I use an ESC I will need to plug the binding plug into the battery connection and bind the unit. Um, how? Am I a Kimosabe or just stupid? If I plug the bind plug into the battery connection how does the radio Receiver get any power. Since my radio doesn't receive any power from the ESC while it's flying. The ESC in my system isn't designed to provide power to my radio unit but only to power the stepper motor.

Any help you can provide would be helpful. I have been waiting over 2 hours now for a call back from HobbyZone's friendly call back service even though they said it would be a 45 minute wait. I would like to fly tomorrow, today is shot but there is still hope for tomorrow.

Thanks ever so much Scott aka Skydog and his faithful flying poodle Hemi.
Scott, #1, Cut off the tabs. It was just Futaba's thing, won't hurt anything.

#2 Normal binding procedure is as follows. Install bind plug on the battery socket of the receiver. Marked Bat/Bind.
Power up the receiver, it should start blinking.
Now, holding the bind button on the transmitter, turn it on.
(note: be around 10 feet away from the receiver when you bind, sometimes if you are too close they won't bind)

The receiver lamp should go from blinking to solid on. (can take up to 15 seconds) It's bound!!!!
REMOVE THE BIND PLUG.

#3 Plug your receiver pack or whatever you are using to power the receiver, into ANY socket on the receiver. They are all connected for power and ground, only the signal pin goes to each operation of the receiver separately.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners