Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Night Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Night Flying Discuss night time aircraft illumination, methods and equipment.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Dmondhuck
Banned

Friends: (0)
Default Do you like flying during the day or at night better?

I'm terrified of flying but I perfer flying at night because there is hardly any turbulence and it doesn't even feel like your flying due to lack of turbulence. It feels kinda like watching a movie at home in the living room [if the airline plays movies]. during the day there is more turbulence and you can actually see that you are on a plane when you look out the window. during the night it's all black so it doesn't look like your on a plane outside. it's also more relaxing and quieter during the night.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Ditto, so much going for night flying. Plus you get to spook the neighbors.
Loved flying at my old house. You'd see folks slowing down on the highway as they tried to figure out what was flying around.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)
Thumbs up

Hi
Pleased to make your acquaintance
Same here i fly lots of micros and the night time is the right time
I use small glowsticks the kind used for fishing to light them up also have some with leds
Heres a few
Do enjoy
http://glowproducts.com/glowsticks/mini/
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 02-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

I've always been a fan of night flying, so much so as right now I'm building new AirfoilZ plane specifically for night flying!

Heres my 'Glow Stick" airplane, LED's on the wing and fuse, with some 'glow bars' made from white drinking straws with LED's in the end.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 02-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
weathervane
Needs more LED's

View weathervane's Gallery14
Club: Wright Flyers
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  1kW 
Friends: (12)

I like flying at night. I am not sure if I like it more at night or in the daytime. Just as long as I can fly.
-Andrew

Maryland Electric Day Spectacular, Charity fly in.
Wrightflyers, club treasurer
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeyikz4/
http://www.wrightflyers.org/
Old 02-26-2011, 01:41 AM   #6
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Awards Showcase

1kW 

The soda straw and LEDs is a great idea.
Here's a tip to make em work even better.
Set em up like NitroBlast does. One LED in each end.

Then take your hot glue gun and melt a hole in the middle of your tube, just small enough to get the gun's tip in it. Shoot a blob of glue in the tube.

The glue will absorb the light and glow like a third LED.

Here's my old Slo-V night flyer. 50+ LEDs.

Each wing side and the center section were set up with 555 timers to blink each section at different rates.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

That's a neat trick GG to get more bang for your buck from a light setup.

Myself I find night flying to be a surreal experience enclosed by the darkness and it really makes me tune into what my plane is doing. I have a new nightflyer in the works and I can't wait to fly it at the club. We are in the woods, but once your in the air people will be able to see the lights from different areas of the town. Should be interesting if anyone calls the police.
Hafta say I just like to fly the night flying is a little more special for me like a kid seeing the lights on a house kinda way.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:40 AM   #8
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (19)

i think both flying in daylight and at night both have their challenges, I'd never fly one of my Strykers or E.D.F. jets at night because i think orientation would be too difficult for me, i do vertical take-offs in the dark with one of my wings,but after i'm safely airborne i throttle back and just cruise around.We do have a couple of guys in our nightflyer group that fly fast, 100 mph or better at night and as long as it's done safely, i think it's fine.I'm hoping to see the first night flying Habu jet this season!! but i won't be on the sticks...
i have noticed that night flying sessions seem to bring out the better, more competent r/c pilots from the clubs in our area.i have not witnessed a single crash during a night fly that was a danger to pilots or spectators in the area, that cannot be said of daytime at some flying fields!!! i think knowing your own limits and remaining Safe are the prime responsibility of all r/c pilots especially at night. one mishap and i'm sure all the idiots that know nothing about r/c flying would scream bloody murder about the stupidity of flying at night
however, the mutant mosquitoes that arrive and attack at dusk are enough to drive me out of my itchy mind!!

e.d.f. speed freak
Old 02-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)
Talking

Hi
Do enjoy
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 02-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

very nice flock of birds hank.

e.d.f. speed freak
Old 02-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Originally Posted by iflyrc1012 View Post
i think both flying in daylight and at night both have their challenges, I'd never fly one of my Strykers or E.D.F. jets at night because i think orientation would be too difficult for me, i do vertical take-offs in the dark with one of my wings,but after i'm safely airborne i throttle back and just cruise around.We do have a couple of guys in our nightflyer group that fly fast, 100 mph or better at night and as long as it's done safely, i think it's fine.I'm hoping to see the first night flying Habu jet this season!! but i won't be on the sticks...
i have noticed that night flying sessions seem to bring out the better, more competent r/c pilots from the clubs in our area.i have not witnessed a single crash during a night fly that was a danger to pilots or spectators in the area, that cannot be said of daytime at some flying fields!!! i think knowing your own limits and remaining Safe are the prime responsibility of all r/c pilots especially at night. one mishap and i'm sure all the idiots that know nothing about r/c flying would scream bloody murder about the stupidity of flying at night
however, the mutant mosquitoes that arrive and attack at dusk are enough to drive me out of my itchy mind!!

Well if you ever attend NEAT you would have enough to give those idiots heart attacks.

The night fly has to be one of the wildest affairs going. Dozens of birds all trying to take up the same airspace in the dark.

Like moths attracted to a flame, planes are zinging in and out, up and over, and occasionally meeting up. Hands down the best time I had there. Was even better then the mass war bird fray.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

yeah, we try to maintain a reasonable pattern, so at least there are no real head-on collisions, but trying to hover a 3d plane in the middle of the runway, while other maniac club members are flyin is just beggin to be slashed in two by a hopped up Stryker, or cleaved a fast moving E.D.F doing a low fly-by or gun camera pass!! Heli's are also notorious for hovering over the centerline, just waiting to be annihilated by somebody flying without a spotter, or with a spotter who is watchin the wrong place at the wrong tme. nothing like a big ole' G-62 swinging a 22-10 wooden prop to really destroy a heli hovering over the flight path!! our club has a wide cross section of pilots that cover every facet of the hobby from Air-hogs to giant scale war birds. We have f.p.v. guys who fly 5 miles away and return to land, and a few guys who do nothing but tight circles over the field and everything in between!! and when everybody show's up on a sunny weekend afternoon, sometimes just watching the carnage is fun. then when the sun fades over the horizon, after all of them put away their planes, i can fly my nightbirds and it's their turn to watch!!!

e.d.f. speed freak
Old 05-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #13
anton831

i never tried night flying but looking forward to it someday
Old 05-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #14
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

start out with something small and light like a Night Vapor,or a Nutball and you'll be fine.
The summer is right around the corner, you better get crackin on at least 1 of them.
if i can cut out a nutball, and install the guts in 2 nights.YOU CAN TOO!!! Don't waste another summer telling yourself "i'll do that someday".... DO IT TODAY!!!

e.d.f. speed freak
Old 05-11-2011, 01:41 AM   #15
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

Friends: (2)

This is kinda funny. The guy who started this thread was referring to commercial airliners.
And I believe he's a spammer. Check his link and you'll prolly agree.

It's easy to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #16
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Good eye ribcracker I just gave him the boot he is a spamer.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:18 AM   #17
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Hi
Pleased to make your acquaintance
Same here i fly lots of micros and the night time is the right time
I use small glowsticks the kind used for fishing to light them up also have some with leds
Heres a few
Do enjoy
http://glowproducts.com/glowsticks/mini/
Take care
Yours Hank
I would love to see what that looks like and where you put them on the plane. Any pictures?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:19 AM   #18
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Default duh

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
I would love to see what that looks like and where you put them on the plane. Any pictures?
I just finished reading the thread and see that you did. I will hush up now
Old 05-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #19
r_kopka
Electric Only

Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW  Globetrotter Pilot 

I think it's not better or worse it's just different.

Landings (especially apart from flying fields) are more difficult.
Orientation can be easier or not. The lights must show the orientation, but no low sun is disturbing the sight.
The feeling of a glaring plane up in the wide airspace is certainly nice. But there are models and flying patterns I wouldn't use/do at night. Generally I prefer a more docile style at night.

One reason to start night flying apart from it being something new that few people do around here was winter. When I get out of the office it usually is dark, yet. So either flying only at the weekends or at night, too.

RK
Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #20
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

View Davethebluessinger's Gallery4
Club: Longdon Flying Club
Friends: (9)

I've just built 2 MS Composit wings (Mini Swift and Swift II) both equipped with LEDs for night flying, I'm now totally addicted!
People who wouldn't give an RC plane a second look during the day are suddenly asking all sorts of questions.
As I said somewhere in another thread I'd really Like some company but there are no other park flyers in my area. There are a couple of clubs locally but I'm afraid the members are all a bit too "stiff upper lip" and geeky for me to want to join!
I'm thinking of emailing my local paper with some UFO footage to see if I can drum up some interest.
The biggest advantage of course is the extended window of flying opportunity coupled with the calm that usually comes at dusk.
I charge my lipos during the day at work then fly around 21:30.
I shot some video last night at dusk but it didn't turn out that well as the camera overcompensated for the darkness so it looked almost like a dull day.
Tonight I'm gonna try again at 22:00 and also put a keychain camera on the wing to try and get footage of the local town at night.
All that said I still really enjoy flying in the daytime but if I had to choose one or the other the dark would just edge it!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2011-05-22-21h42m16s123.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	149277

EFlight Mini Pulse XT, Durafly Dynamic S, Scratch Built 52" Pushycat, HK 330 Edge Profile, HK Mini Spirit, Thunder Tiger EHawk 1500.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #21
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

View Davethebluessinger's Gallery4
Club: Longdon Flying Club
Friends: (9)
Default I knew I bought them for a good reason....

I fly with a DX6i which makes switching models in the dark a little tricky as the LCD screen doesn't have a backlight. I know there are youtube tutorials on how to fit a backlight but unfortunately it would invalidate any public liability insurance through modifying your radio gear.
I was out in the garage earlier getting everything ready for tonights flights when I suddenly remembered I had these little clamp on LED spotlights! They'll clip on anywhere, your TX, plane, flight box or clothing and are just good enough to make adjustments a lot easier, I paid around $1 a piece for them about 2 years ago.
I knew I bought them for a reason!
BTW they also make great working headlights for electric RC buggies!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SDC11605.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	149282

Name:	SDC11613.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	149283

EFlight Mini Pulse XT, Durafly Dynamic S, Scratch Built 52" Pushycat, HK 330 Edge Profile, HK Mini Spirit, Thunder Tiger EHawk 1500.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:01 AM   #22
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 

Actually I like flying right between the two.
Less wind and sun glare.

Originally Posted by Davethebluessinger View Post
People who wouldn't give an RC plane a second look during the day are suddenly asking all sorts of questions.
OH NO!
Sounds like you'd better go back to daylight flying.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:55 AM   #23
wolfewinde

Club: Largo Flying Club
Friends: (4)

I definitely like daylight flying better - but it is nice to step out in the front yard with a Micro bird when the wind dies down after dark.

Wolfe

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Night Flying