Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-26-2011, 03:24 AM   #1
FL RV Flyer

Friends: (1)
Default AMA vs. Sportflier

Saw an ad for the Sportflier organization. They offer insurance and other items for parkfliers. The AMA parkflier offers $500000 insurance, Sportflier is $1m. Parkflier is 32 oz weight limit, Sportflier is 12#. Dues are $28 to $20. What are others thinking about which to join. AMA has a real good record but sometimes the new kid on the block could be a better deal.
Lets hear what members have to say.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Are you sure those guys are legit?

I couldnt find any specifics or and actual policy term anywhere on that site and no where to call or contact in the event of a claim.

http://sportfliers.com/

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 02-26-2011, 03:49 AM   #3
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

HA! And they are in Muncie Indiana too!!!

Wonder what Big Brother thinks about this?

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 02-26-2011, 04:03 AM   #4
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

It might make a good suplimentary insurance, especially if you fly one of those heaver "parkflyers" they talks about, or terrifyinly fast ones. IOW, Birds that are actually capable of doing $1M of damage. That is if they are legit.

However, until they establish themselves to the point that your preferred flying club would consider their policies as acceptible for membership (assuming joining a club is on your wish list), you may wantto consider it as just that: A suplimentary insurance.

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 02-26-2011, 04:06 AM   #5
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Club: C.D.P.A.
Friends: (2)

I would assume that they are the same company who has been around for a few years, popping up under a few different names. For the life of me, I can't remember the other names, but they seem to be the same people.

Do a google search of them (US Aero Modelers Association)and you'll see several references and complaints about them. There is a lengthy thread on RCUniverse where a few people gave them a shot and never heard another thing from them after payment. No cards, no info, and no one to contact. The thread is a couple of years old, so they've been at it for a while.

Unfortunately, the AMA seems to be the only legit player in the game.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

"No safety code. Fly responsibly."
Old 02-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

When the SFA hit the scene some years ago, It literally was the demise of the club I belonged to at the time. We were all wet fuelers, and one member brought in the SFA to a meeting. It was politics at its finest. The room literally split down the middle, with folks becoming so damn angry at the other camp.

I kept my AMA, but cited that SFA should be considered 'legal' for club membership (Good 'Ol US competition). Arguments started at that meeting, that prevailed until the club nearly dissolved. I was confused by the adamant position that AMA was the only recognized insurance, why would one person care what insurance the other person has, as long as they have it?

IMO The USA was founded on fair competition. IMO AMA currently has a monopoly. IMO AMA is still the premiere agency for Model Aviation, but we must allow fair competition. I personally would not want to change my AMA status, but I do not think it is my right to insist that others have what I have, as long as what they have, meets the set requirements.

That perspective, put me on the DNR list with club officers, which worked out for the better as I converted to electric and found a new home with SEFSD.org. I never stopped with AMA, but learned the lesson on how to keep my own political views away from the flying field, as I would probably loose 1/2 of my flying friends (because some people simply cannot allow others to own their own perspective).

That as an example, tells me that a new insurance organization for hobby operations, has a tough road ahead.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 02-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
kaindub

Friends: (0)

Just my observations here as I'm based in Australia so this does not afect me at all.

Went to their site and clicked on the insurance certificate link. Its out of date. Expired in January. Maybe they have renewed ti but its not good advertising to show out of date vertificates.
Where are the policy terms and conditions? What are you buying. Its always the fine print in the contract tha determines how good the policy is (no matter what price you pay)
In our neck of the woods we have had very bad flooding. Many people thought they had flood cover , but then they checked the fine print and found out that that was not the case.

These guys may be good and legit, but I would be asking more questions before I relied oon their insurnace.

Robert
Old 02-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

I have been a ama fan for 34 years ,why change now for a couple bucks . I also like my mag they send me . Oh i forgot to mention that you dont see any of these other fly by night orgs going to batt for us when it come to the FAA or any other gov offices that want to interfear with our hobby. joe
Old 02-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #10
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Yea - some of us have memories of the intitial SFA. They seemed OK, had a HUGE bone to pick with the AMA and destroyed themselves, while spending a great deal of AMA legal money in the process.

Not sure anyone won.

I would welcome a competitor and think the environment might be more friendly but it would sure be tough and not sure a split hobby is what we need in the light of the FAA stuff.

Mike
Old 02-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #11
Mode One

Club: A Club in Norhern MN

I'm staying with the AMA, there's something to be said for longevity and reliability. Yes, I look into the other stuff, when there is something to read. So, I keep abreast what's going on and I haven't seen any reason to change. I pay $58.00 a year and I feel this is a very good value.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:11 AM   #12
FL RV Flyer

Default AMA vs Sportflier.com

Thanks for everyone who put in their feelings. After seeing all the cons and very few pros I guess that the AMA is still the best way to go. I agree that a monopoly is not a good thing but the other guys have to give something for your money and I guess they just don't, at least not yet. By the way, I hope everyone has sent the AMA/FAA letters into their Washington politicians. That is IMPORTANT
Old 02-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
Mode One

Club: A Club in Norhern MN

I disagree about the monopoly statement. I don't look at the AMA as a monopoly! A monopoly controls all of an asset, anyone who wants a product controlled by the monopoly must purchase it from the single, all controlling vendor! We are not forced to be a member of the AMA although your club may require it. You still do have a choice, don't join the club, don't join the AMA. In most cases your homeowners insurance covers your model flying activities (check this out with your home owners underwriters).

Instead I look at it as a national model airplane organization wherein a large and strong membership will help preserve our privilege to pursue this hobby! Divide the membership and it looses potency, simple as that!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #14
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
I disagree about the monopoly statement. I don't look at the AMA as a monopoly! A monopoly controls all of an asset, anyone who wants a product controlled by the monopoly must purchase it from the single, all controlling vendor!

No worries, I'm cool with everyone' perspective.

In my area, all the clubs require AMA. From my perspective that means AMA has a Monopolistic hold over the usage of controlled flying fields. All fields. When you control all fields & all access, to me that means Monopoly.

Dont get me wrong, I'm a happy AMA member. Happy that all I gotta do is throw money at an orgization to stay off my back when I go flying, and covers my ars if I screw up. Thats all any of these org's want. Money (which equals membership).

Does that stop me from going to the park and flying? No, because I already have AMA membership. Would it stop me if I didnt? Unlikely. Lucky for my neighbors 90% of my hangar is filled with models too large to fly at the park, otherwise they may not like me as much as they do now.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
No worries, I'm cool with everyone' perspective.

In my area, all the clubs require AMA. From my perspective that means AMA has a Monopolistic hold over the usage of controlled flying fields. All fields. When you control all fields & all access, to me that means Monopoly.

Dont get me wrong, I'm a happy AMA member. Happy that all I gotta do is throw money at an orgization to stay off my back when I go flying, and covers my ars if I screw up. Thats all any of these org's want. Money (which equals membership).

Does that stop me from going to the park and flying? No, because I already have AMA membership. Would it stop me if I didnt? Unlikely. Lucky for my neighbors 90% of my hangar is filled with models too large to fly at the park, otherwise they may not like me as much as they do now.
I dont call it staying off of my back when they are right now working with the gov to get faa off of our backs . They did this before to make sure garage door openers were not shooting down our planes or trucker cb radios also by getting our own radio bands so i think it was the best place for my dues for the last 34 years. When you turn on your transmitter and fly next time and your big plane comes down in one piece look to indiana and thank them. I have told others many times there is nothing stoping any one from starting their own club or getting insurance to fly there but themselfs. joe
Old 02-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #16
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot  AV Contest  AP Contest Winner 
Friends: (0)

Some more info here.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59019

Too bad this compnay didn't work out. Like I mentioned in that thread, if someone was looking for insurance only, $20 is pretty cheap for a year.

Frank

Old 02-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #17
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

There are legitimate NON-AMA insurance options out there.

I belong to a small electric only club that was NON AMA for a number of years. The cost per member was $20 per year for liability only insurance coverage similar to what the AMA offers.

That was based on a club/group purchace with about 20-30 members, so individual coverage would probably be more.

That did NOT include the fire insurance, model damage insurance, theft insurance or personal injury/medical insurance the AMA provides. It also did NOT give them access to AMA flying fields, no monthly magazine and no fighting with the FAA on our behalf.

If you have home owners insurance you probably already have at least limited coverage and can easily add more if you feel the need - again that gives you none of the additional AMA benefits.

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 02-28-2011, 02:22 AM   #18
hillbille

View hillbille's Gallery29
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (8)

What monopoly? A monopoly - corporate - MAKES competition impossible. I do not believe the AMA has ever been taken to court or even accused legally of unfair business practices against ANY known competitor. If anyone else out there IS aware of ANY such case - please cite it here.

Being as how there is the IMAA and it co-exists with AMA in the business of SANCTIONING model airplane events to me also seems to give dissidents of the AMA another choice.

Being the top of your field and the BEST model organization does NOT make the AMA a monopoly. This is the United States of America and anyone is allowed to organize and incorporate an organization to fulfill the need.

AMA has been at it a long time. They offer the best of what they CAN offer. The AMA is WELL founded, solidly backed organization. Is it perfect? NO. But I have some news for non members. You will not effect any changes to the AMA by whining and crying on threads or public forums. You don't like the way AMA is run or how it works - then JOIN - en mass and make your voices heard from within with your VOTES.

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978
Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 AM   #19
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Hillbillie,
Your words made the most sense to me than all the other discussion when using the word monopoly. I'll admit I was using it in the wrong content/intent/understanding.

Thanks for the perspective shift.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions

Tags
ama , insurance , sportflier