Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
gtopcu

Friends: (0)
Question Need help for a basic delta wing design

Hi all,

I would like to design a delta wing from deprom as my first flying wing since I've got deprom available. I've read that flat airfoils actually work for delta wings, so I would prefer to use them too since it would be easier for me.

I don't prefer to follow any ready-made plans as I've also got batteries/servos/brushless engines/ESCs handy that I can use, but rather would like to design the body based on what I have. I'm an experienced flyer but completely new to design. I've gone through good modelling sources provided on the beginners section and learned how to calculate various properties for the models, and now got some guiding estimates for wing loading / power-to-weight / control area ratios from those, but I can't really bring these together for what I want.

Please let me know how designing a new airplane process works! Thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
Welcome aboard
Im pleased to meet you
Heres some good info on Flying wings
http://www.glide.net.au/flyingwing/fwing.htm
http://scherrer.pagesperso-orange.fr...odelie.html#p1
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
gtopcu

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm reading through the links you've provided and trying to grasp the basics, but I've got a simple question I cannot find an answer to from what I've learned so far.

Just like the symmetrical airfoils with an AoA = 0 degrees, how does flat wings create any lift? Or AoA is never used as 0 for flying wings or symmetrical airfoils??

Also, how are MAC, CG, NP etc calculations affected, if at all? I've asked this question also in the beginners section, but can't provide the link as the forum won't let me.

would be great if you could give me a direction on this, thanks!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
kevinpeter12

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm reading through the links you've provided and trying to grasp the basics, but I've got a simple question I cannot find an answer to from what I've learned so far.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings

Tags
delta wings flat design