Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
flymess

View flymess's Gallery6
Friends: (1)
Default Delta wing tiplets

Building a Delta coreflute wing and wonder what angle to place the wing tips (tiplets?). Is there a standard to be followed? I imagine a shallow angle would make it more stable - a bit like dihedral, and more upright would make it more responsive. Am I anywhere near the thinking on this? Did try to find info on this in various places but no luck yet. Any help would be appreciated,
flymess (crasher from Oz)
Old 02-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Originally Posted by flymess View Post
Building a Delta coreflute wing and wonder what angle to place the wing tips (tiplets?). Is there a standard to be followed? I imagine a shallow angle would make it more stable - a bit like dihedral, and more upright would make it more responsive. Am I anywhere near the thinking on this? Did try to find info on this in various places but no luck yet. Any help would be appreciated,
flymess (crasher from Oz)
On the wing tips, straight up and down is the best, also have the wing tips at least 1" under the wing that helps to make a wing track like if on rails, Hope that helps, Chellie

I added some foam under the wing on my wing tips and that made all the difference in the world

AFTER wing tip extention below wing

BEFORE

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

As you can see, she flies like if on Rails

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

FLYMESS if you could post a pic of your wing/delta that would help more, if its shaped more like a delta, Look at a RC SUPERFLY delta, Take care, Chellie

RUDDER OPTION

Old 02-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
flymess

View flymess's Gallery6

mmm

Old 02-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
flymess

View flymess's Gallery6

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
FLYMESS if you could post a pic of your wing/delta that would help more, if its shaped more like a delta, Look at a RC SUPERFLY delta, Take care, Chellie

RUDDER OPTION
Thanks for your quick response Chellie. I like your Deltas. Mine is a bit more crude. Made from flat 5mm coreflute, it was a simple triangle. Then I decided to create a bit of aerofoil (sorry, I write English) so I cut across about 2/3 up from the TE and folded it over so it's now more like a wing with an extended nose. I bent the wing tips up 30* but that can be changed easily. I tossed it a few times to see if it would glide and after some adjustments it's getting there. It'll never be real fast but that's OK for me. It's really just an experiment. It's late now and the camera is in the car, I'll post some more pics tomorrow http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=551&pictureid=3119
Old 03-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Thats a good looking Delta here is a scratch built delta that i made, it flies great and a few builds that I have made, Have fun with them, Take care, Chellie

I Made this delta, flew it for about 3 years, then gave it to a kid in our RC Club It held together very well He is still flying it

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ck+delta+build

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...652#post715652

Old 03-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #8
flymess

View flymess's Gallery6

I promised more pictures but have had no luck uploading them despite many, many attempts. I have modified the delta by cutting the front section of the triangle and folding this over to create a bit of airfoil. This leaves a nose piece of 8" and a wing chord of 10 1/4". The span is 35" with the last 3" of wing tip inclined 30*. Elevons are 1 1/2". It has a Turnigy Aerodrive C2826-1650 motor spinning a "Haoye" 7" x 4" prop., 40A ESC and 1600mAh 3S Turnigy battery. I maidenned it March 1st after powerless hand launches and adjusting battery position to get a reasonable glide. Under power it took off nicely and started to come around to the left. My initial reaction was to throttle down to keep control. Then I thought "No this is a Delta, pretty heavy (625gms/22oz) and might fall out of the sky" so I gave it full power and smacked it straight into a power pole. I had to laugh because the maiden lasted about 5 seconds and now my plane was embedded in the pole about 30' up, (You will notice from the early pic that it has a strip of Alum angle as a sort of fuse which was pointed to cut wind drag) so I took some pictures of this too. That night we had a big storm and luckily it was dislodged and I got it back the next day. After some repairs I flew it again and was impressed with it's smooth flight. However, when I gave it full throttle it pulled strongly to the left. I put this down to torque reaction but on inspection I noticed the motor (its a pusher) is angled a few degrees to the left when viewed from above and behind. The motor mount is a piece of Alum angle that I have drilled for the motor screws and the bent to give two sides (top and side) to secure to the "fuse".
Now I have a question for anyone who has bothered to read all of this dribble. Should I mount the motor straight on (90* to the fuse) or should I give it a few degrees to the right to offset any torque reaction?
(why can't I load pictures anymore? I get a "loading" message for about 5 minutes and then a message saying "problem loading page- the connection was reset" tried at least 10 times, same result)
Old 03-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

I promised more pictures but have had no luck uploading them despite many, many attempts. I have modified the delta by cutting the front section of the triangle and folding this over to create a bit of airfoil. This leaves a nose piece of 8" and a wing chord of 10 1/4". The span is 35" with the last 3" of wing tip inclined 30*. Elevons are 1 1/2". It has a Turnigy Aerodrive C2826-1650 motor spinning a "Haoye" 7" x 4" prop., 40A ESC and 1600mAh 3S Turnigy battery. I maidenned it March 1st after powerless hand launches and adjusting battery position to get a reasonable glide. Under power it took off nicely and started to come around to the left. My initial reaction was to throttle down to keep control. Then I thought "No this is a Delta, pretty heavy (625gms/22oz) and might fall out of the sky" so I gave it full power and smacked it straight into a power pole. I had to laugh because the maiden lasted about 5 seconds and now my plane was embedded in the pole about 30' up, (You will notice from the early pic that it has a strip of Alum angle as a sort of fuse which was pointed to cut wind drag) so I took some pictures of this too. That night we had a big storm and luckily it was dislodged and I got it back the next day. After some repairs I flew it again and was impressed with it's smooth flight. However, when I gave it full throttle it pulled strongly to the left. I put this down to torque reaction but on inspection I noticed the motor (its a pusher) is angled a few degrees to the left when viewed from above and behind. The motor mount is a piece of Alum angle that I have drilled for the motor screws and the bent to give two sides (top and side) to secure to the "fuse".
Now I have a question for anyone who has bothered to read all of this dribble. Should I mount the motor straight on (90* to the fuse) or should I give it a few degrees to the right to offset any torque reaction?
(why can't I load pictures anymore? I get a "loading" message for about 5 minutes and then a message saying "problem loading page- the connection was reset" tried at least 10 times, same result)
you may have to resize the pics smaller, I use 1000 PIX X 800 PIX and that seems to work fine for me, Hope that helps, Chellie

Old 03-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
flymess

View flymess's Gallery6

you may have to resize the pics smaller, I use 1000 PIX X 800 PIX and that seems to work fine for me, Hope that helps, Chellie
That's what I thought but as yet I can't work out how to do that. I'll keep trying though. BTW the same pics have uploaded to the SPAD forum without a problem. What about the angle of the motor question, any thoughts? I did set it pretty well straight on (by eye) and it flew much better under power today. thanks Chellie, flymess
Old 03-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

That's what I thought but as yet I can't work out how to do that. I'll keep trying though. BTW the same pics have uploaded to the SPAD forum without a problem. What about the angle of the motor question, any thoughts? I did set it pretty well straight on (by eye) and it flew much better under power today. thanks Chellie, flymess
Hi Every plane is different, and every plane will tell you what it needs, normally flat wing planes with the wing in the front requires some down thrust, wings and deltas sometimes require down thrust, just start out with 0 down thrust, if the plane wants to hunt up and down, then that tells you that down thrust is required, Hope that helps, Chellie

Pic Resizer

http://www.ehow.com/how_2066329_resi...-pictures.html

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/

http://download.cnet.com/Free-Pictur...-10297789.html

Old 03-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
flymess

View flymess's Gallery6

thanks again Chellie but I was thinking of sideways thrust, not up or down. I think now though I'll just stick with straight on seeing how well it flew today. Cheers.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

thanks again Chellie but I was thinking of sideways thrust, not up or down. I think now though I'll just stick with straight on seeing how well it flew today. Cheers.
most wings, deltas and profile planes dont require any right or left thrust, just down thrust some times, your plane will tell you what it neede, larger planes with bigger motors do require side thrust, because of the torque of the larger motor and prop, but the smaller park fliers normally dont require side thrust.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
flymess

View flymess's Gallery6

OK think I've got the picture sorted (fingers crossed)
Old 03-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
flymess

View flymess's Gallery6

Don't know how to get more than one pic on a post(no pun intended)
Old 03-05-2011, 03:35 AM   #16
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

How did you do that

Old 03-05-2011, 03:45 AM   #17
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Flymess, I Think you might like this wing, the plans are in the thread, my friend made this wing, and it flies great, Take care, Chellie

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497083

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post12094710

Old 03-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #18
flymess

View flymess's Gallery6

Thank's Chellie, I'm having so much fun scratch building and flying my coro wing that I don"t know where it will end. The "Delta" ended up being a flying wing with a nose. It's a blast to fly and does unlimited vertical, out of sight if you let it. I'm going to make a couple more so my buddies can have one each too. when I work out the U-Tube thing you"ll see what I mean. flymess
Old 03-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #19
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Thank's Chellie, I'm having so much fun scratch building and flying my coro wing that I don"t know where it will end. The "Delta" ended up being a flying wing with a nose. It's a blast to fly and does unlimited vertical, out of sight if you let it. I'm going to make a couple more so my buddies can have one each too. when I work out the U-Tube thing you"ll see what I mean. flymess
Glad you are having fun building and flying, Thats what it is all about Take care, Chellie

Old 03-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #20
flymess

View flymess's Gallery6

Friend gave me a plastic honey jar to use so I made a canopy out of it . We now call the wing "Honey Bee"
Old 03-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #21
babylon5

As you can see, she flies like if on Rails

Hi Chellie, love this video. Great flying wings. Except for the rough landing, this plane is really nice to watch.

Cheers
Old 03-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #22
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)
Red face

Hi
Pleased to meet you
Yikes she looks like shes really in there
Great shot btw
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #23
flymess

View flymess's Gallery6

A big storm brought the wing down and it has been flown since. It still has a tendency to pull to the left under power and it has needed a lot of right aileron (elevon) to fly straight. It has been given a fair bit of "up" on the hand launch so that it doesn't nose dive, but then it doesn't respond too well to down elevon and I've had to cut the power to bring her down. Managed today to fly it a few times with subtle adjustments each time. (crashes don't seem to worry it much--SPADS are great!). I've decided that the biggest problem is the slight offset of the motor. It is a degree or so to the left (from above) so I've shimmed it with small washers on that side. Let you know how it goes after tomorrow's flight (IFF the rain stops--MAN- if it's not windy, it's raining!)
Old 03-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #24
flymess

View flymess's Gallery6

Shimming the motor on one side made a world of difference. After the initial problem of retrimming ( it had been given so much right elevon to compensate for the offset motor that it was a real handful until trimmed more neutral). So it flew a lot more stable at a set speed but it climbs rapidly with full power. The control horns are set at least throw but I find that when you give it down "elevator" to stop it from climbing, it dives like crazy, absolutely plummetting to earth. Fortunately it pulled out each time but now I'm wondering if it's the nature of elevons, having so much surface, that when used as elevator they have too much authority. I'm thinking maybe I should reduce the amount of movement for elevator on my TX (DX6i). Any opinions about this would be appreciated. Cheers!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #25
flymess

View flymess's Gallery6

Found out it was more a CG thing and once sorted out, it flew well.... That is until I speared it into the earth- oh well! More builds in the wings (another pun, sorry)!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings